2012-2013 Regular Season Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: 2012-2013 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#81 » by Crowned » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 pm

His time with the Marlies greatly helped his development. I saw him a ton in the OHL, and he's made a lot of progress to round out his game. He's certainly matured on the ice.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#82 » by _venom_ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:43 pm

I've really enjoyed watching them play this year. I go into every game feeling like they have a chance to win which is all you can ask for. Carlyle has them playing very disciplined hockey and they always seem to bounce back after a tough loss. Getting Lupul and Frattin back will make them even more dangerous. With the way JVR has played on that top line though I don't think I'd break them up when Lupul comes back. I'd throw Lupul on a line with Grabo and Kulemin. At full strength I'd like to see:

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Grabo/Kulemin
MacArthur/Kadri/Frattin
Komarov/McClement/Brown

Phaneuf/Holzer
Gunnarson/Kostka
Fraser/Franson

They need to make a move on the blueline because Gardiner should be up with the big club. He's back to his normal self with the Marlies now. The problem is that only Holzer qualifies to go down without clearing waivers and he's played well with Phaneuf. Komisarek and Liles are making 9 million combined to watch the games. I'd like to see both of them amnestied in the offseason (or trade Liles if you can) because you have two better cheaper options (Gardiner/Holzer). Komisarek can't even be sent down to the AHL because of his no movement clause.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#83 » by whysoserious » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 pm

I'd swap Lupul and MacArthur on those lines and Kadri, Frattin, Lupul becomes your second line.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#84 » by Ado05 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 am

I'd try JVR between Lupul and Kessel. They were going to try him there before, so why not try it when Lupul comes back? If there is chemistry there, and JVR plays well at center, that line could be dy-no-mite!

Lupul/JVR/Kessel
MacArthur/Grabo/Kulemin
Kadri/Bozak/Frattin
Komarov/McClement/Brown

Dont know if Kadri can play LW, but you get the idea.

If it doesnt work out, I say you do a combination of:

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Grabo/Kulemin

OR

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Grabo/Kulemin
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#85 » by whysoserious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I disagree Adrian.

Bozak and Kessel have good chemistry. Bozak is not a number one center but he plays well with Kessel. He's at the very least earned the right to stay there until someone that is a legit number 1 center is brought in. They may have wanted to try JVR at center but he's succeeding on the wing so I'd also leave him there.

And same with Kadri, no more yo yo'ing these guys around. He's succeeding as a ceter so let him play there.
Deadpool_X
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#86 » by Deadpool_X » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 pm

It's tough, a trade needs to happen, but in the mean time:

JVR/Bozak/Kessel
Lupul/Kardi/Frattin
MacArthur/ Grabo / Kuleman
Komarov/ McClement / Brown

Phaneuf/Kostka
Franson/Gardiner
Gunnarson/Holzer

Which leaves out:

Fraser / Liles / Komisarek /Orr / Mcleran / Steckle

Those spare parts and a guy like Bozak could get us a first line center right? right? lol
Ado05
RealGM

Post#87 » by Ado05 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 12:45 am

whysoserious wrote:I disagree Adrian.

Bozak and Kessel have good chemistry. Bozak is not a number one center but he plays well with Kessel. He's at the very least earned the right to stay there until someone that is a legit number 1 center is brought in. They may have wanted to try JVR at center but he's succeeding on the wing so I'd also leave him there.

And same with Kadri, no more yo yo'ing these guys around. He's succeeding as a ceter so let him play there.

Well, Kessel and Lupul have chemistry, and it seems like Kessel and JVR have some chemistry. I dont think it will hurt that much for JVR to move to center for a try-out per say. If it doesnt work, all they do is just switch the lines back, so why not try them all out on the same line?

Kadri has been pretty bad at faceoffs. I think he is around 45% right now, which isnt that great. Couldnt really hurt him if they put him on the wing because I do believe he has played there before.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#88 » by Ado05 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 1:28 am

Hat Trick for Kadri!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#89 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Mar 1, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you Cliff Fletcher, Brian Burke and Dave Nonis for resurrecting the Leafs. What we are seeing is the pieces lining up for an era where they win every year. Might be a year away, but the gravy train is coming. The young blue chip forwards, D prospects coming, upcoming cap flexibility, a good GM in place... It's all there.
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by _venom_ » Fri Mar 1, 2013 2:42 pm

The Fraser/Franson defensive pairing has been a very pleasant surprise this year. Fraser leads all NHL players in plus/minus while Franson is up there too while also being top 10 in dman points. The dead weight on D (Komisarek and Liles) is really the only negative for this team this year. The goaltending has been great. We're getting contributions offensively from each line (even the 4th line has created scoring chances) and we're playing a much more sound defensive game overall.

Watching young forwards like JVR, Kadri and Frattin develop is refreshing after having to watch some of the garbage we've put out over the last 10 years. This team is still a true top line C and another top D man away from being a legitimate contender but they're fun to watch and should be a playoff team this year.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#91 » by whysoserious » Fri Mar 1, 2013 4:40 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Well, Kessel and Lupul have chemistry, and it seems like Kessel and JVR have some chemistry. I dont think it will hurt that much for JVR to move to center for a try-out per say. If it doesnt work, all they do is just switch the lines back, so why not try them all out on the same line?

Kadri has been pretty bad at faceoffs. I think he is around 45% right now, which isnt that great. Couldnt really hurt him if they put him on the wing because I do believe he has played there before.

Yes, Kessel and Lupul have had great chemistry along with Bozak and there is something to be said for not losing your spot due to injury. But in this case I think the only two options are that you put Lupul back in his spot and drop JVR down or leave that line alone and drop Lupul down.

And whichever way you go, you add Lupul/JVR to the Kadri/Frattin pairing. Move MacArther back with Grabo as Grabo/McArthur/Kulemin was a good line in th past.

I don't like the idea of trying to move JVR to Center, then moving other pieces around and then moving Kadri away from Center. You're just creating too much movement. Yes, Kadri hasn't been great on faceoffs but he's a Center and should develop there. And he's having a great year and despite not winning a ton of faceoffs he's playing a good Center role defensively and getting back and throwing his weight around. I'd just leave him alone for now.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#92 » by Ado05 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 11:41 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Adrian_05 wrote:Well, Kessel and Lupul have chemistry, and it seems like Kessel and JVR have some chemistry. I dont think it will hurt that much for JVR to move to center for a try-out per say. If it doesnt work, all they do is just switch the lines back, so why not try them all out on the same line?

Yes, Kessel and Lupul have had great chemistry along with Bozak and there is something to be said for not losing your spot due to injury. But in this case I think the only two options are that you put Lupul back in his spot and drop JVR down or leave that line alone and drop Lupul down.

And whichever way you go, you add Lupul/JVR to the Kadri/Frattin pairing. Move MacArther back with Grabo as Grabo/McArthur/Kulemin was a good line in th past.

I don't like the idea of trying to move JVR to Center, then moving other pieces around and then moving Kadri away from Center. You're just creating too much movement. Yes, Kadri hasn't been great on faceoffs but he's a Center and should develop there. And he's having a great year and despite not winning a ton of faceoffs he's playing a good Center role defensively and getting back and throwing his weight around. I'd just leave him alone for now.

I just dont see whats so wrong with trying the lines out for a game or two. Im not saying, make these the lines, and keep it like that until they get chemistry, just more of a 'try-out'. Who knows, those lines could be dynamite or they could be awful, I just dont see whats so wrong with trying it out.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#93 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 6, 2013 2:26 pm

Trying it out though disrupts the current chemistry of the existing lines. Things are going fine so leave them the way they are and plug in guys where lines are struggling. If things slow down with lines, you can switch it up then.

For example, Kadri is playing his best hockey at the NHL level, why move him around and disrupt his line. He's learning to be a good Center, he's backchecking better and he's getting better at faceoffs. Yes, he still makes mistakes, but he's practically on your third line. Why move him around to fit in another guy on another line and move him to another line and so on.

Leave the guys where they are and are succeeding and if things slow down or lines struggle, you can flip it up then.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#94 » by Ado05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 am

Well, when Lupul comes back, the lines will have to shuffle up. Its not really a matter of performing well and having chemistry, its more of when Lupul comes back. Bottom line is, it is going to have to be done when Lupul comes back.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#95 » by sanity » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 pm

JVR is our even strength goal scoring machine so anything outside of him being shuffled out of the 1st unit isn't much of a concern imo. Ideally I'd just shuffle McCarthur back to the Grabov/Kulie line so long as Lupol/Kessel play together because they did share that chemistry going back to last season. Kadri/JVR I wouldn't mix up, not yet anyway

JVR was used as a C in Philly wasn't he? I thought that was the label/reasoning we went after him, but since he's playing so well on the wing I'd hold off on changing that
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by _venom_ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm

There need to be some defensive changes made to the lineup first. Holzer and Kostka have really dropped off in their play recently. Holzer should be sent down with Gardiner back up. I'd also sit Gunnarson and put Komisarek and Liles back in the lineup.

Gardiner/Phaneuf
Liles/Komisarek
Fraser/Franson

I'm wondering if they're keeping Liles and Komisarek out of the lineup because they don't want them to get injured and risk not being able to use the buyout in the offseason (can't buy out injured player). The performance of Kostka, Gunnarson and Holzer doesn't justify their playing time.

When Lupul gets back I'd try him out on the Grabo/Kulemin line becasue those guys need to get going and maybe Lupul can spark them.
Ado05
RealGM

Post#97 » by Ado05 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey, you guys think making game day threads would help with getting more discussion and posters? I'd be up for making them.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#98 » by SharoneWright » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 am

Adrian_05 wrote:Hey, you guys think making game day threads would help with getting more discussion and posters? I'd be up for making them.

I don't think anyone would stop you, although maybe Yogi/Crowned disagree...

I think there might be a few more posts, but I fear your efforts might go unrewarded.

If the Leafs make the playoffs, however, the party will get jumping around here.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,525
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#99 » by SharoneWright » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 am

9 or 10 shootout rounds and no Grabovski??? He'd be in my top 3 let alone 10... ARgh.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ado05
RealGM

Post#100 » by Ado05 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 am

Yeah, wtf is up with that?

Damn, we played great in the first, awful for most of the second, and then good in the third and OT, but couldnt pull it off. Lots of posts/crossbars hit in that shootout.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs