ImageImageImage

First! Ok, so what are the chances the Leafs make the PO?!

Moderator: Crowned

GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#21 » by GQStylin » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:33 am

Marmoset wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think you could get a very good prospect for Sundin, but not a can't-miss prospect. The return on star players in the NHL seems much better than in the NBA, and they could get a solid package.

I fully expect Sundin to be re-signed though, and given my previous post, I think it's the best option. Even if they were rebuilding, I'd have at least considered keeping him. But the key is that the contract has to be kept to no longer than three years, and the salary needs to come down at least a bit. They can't afford to have another big contract for another good-but-not-great player, because let's face it, it's very unlikely Sundin will be playing at this level 2 or 3 years from now.

Should have traded Sundin at the deadline for maximum benefit. Now he'll get re-signed and mediocrity will continue and fans of other Canadian teams as well as hockey fans in general will continue to laugh at 40+ years of Leafs suckatude. :nonono:
CB4_Toronto_Raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#22 » by CB4_Toronto_Raptors » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:20 am

I'm soo sick of this team right now. We need to rebuild! No Playoffs.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,884

Post#23 » by Triple M » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:22 am

wow this board is already pretty movin im a habs fan btw can't wait for saturday night that will be a huge game.
darew9392
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#24 » by darew9392 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:52 am

first i gotta say this is **** awesome. 2nd, the leafs blew a big one tonight, i got my blind faith but man, i have feeling there just gunna step on every leaf fans heart like they always do. lets hope not... :pray:
WHAT_DA
Lead Assistant
And1: 30

Post#25 » by WHAT_DA » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:19 am

MAS wrote:The team has two options right now the way i see it.

the first one is rebuild, which is what a lot of us are hoping for and just tear apart the team.

The other one is keep building upon free agency, which seems a little more like the Leafs style. They have around $10 mill of cap space coming up this offseason, and will have $16 mill if they do not pick up Sundins option, and a little more than $10 if they re-sign Sundin to a cheaper contract

If this is the case i can very much see them going after a Ryan Smyth, Scott Gomez, Paul Karyia, etc in the offseason because that seems more like JFJ's style

I'd prefer the 1st one but i don't think the teacher's pension fund will allow it

And where has this gotten us to? If we keep building through FA we will wind up in the same position or slightly improved every year. The leafs will have years where they miss the playoffs barely or make them barely. they will be stuck in a cycle of mediocrity (6-10). And if you believe they'll get better then that you're fooling yourself because every year that they get 2 or 3 serviceable players, 2 or 3 will leave and so there will never be any major improvement.

JFJ has managed to get this team nowhere and he is allowed to continue on his desolate path. He seems like a smart guy and i know he had success as vp and director of hockey operations for the Blues, but it's becoming clear that he is not ready to be top dog, especially in this organization.

I agree with you on that last part on both accounts though. And it's because of the pension fund that I fear a new GM may not even make a difference.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#26 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:35 am

Your preaching to the choir here. But this is the route i believe they are going to take.

To be honest they never ACTUALLY built around FA. The only time in recent memory of them going out and getting a player in his prime was Curtis Joseph and that was because he fell into their laps when his deal with Philly fell through.

Past that they only went after their own free agents or guys who were just about over the hill.

They have a chance to get a couple of really good players in this year's FA, and you never know, it could be the difference.

A Stanley Cup difference? Probably not. But a difference between a fringe team and a really good team, possibly.
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#27 » by Osiris » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:48 pm

It's really to bad JFJ's such a great MLSE lackey.

Cuz he's a terrible hockey executive.

Sundin should've been traded when he was hot (I think it was just after the all-star break), and the league was full of "hey they still have it!" players like Shanahan and Guerin and such - and we should've started our rebuild proper.

I guess what I don't understand is I why they wouldn't do it - it's not like they harbour any sort of notions on pleasing the fanbase - so it's not like they'd care about any cries to keep Mats....if there were any.

Anyways since I haven't posted my thoughts on the topic - it'll come down to the Habs game, and I seriously hope we don't have to pull Raycroft while tied in regulation to pull it out. It'd be interesting, but probably costly.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by MAS » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:12 pm

Osiris wrote:It's really to bad JFJ's such a great MLSE lackey.

Cuz he's a terrible hockey executive.

Sundin should've been traded when he was hot (I think it was just after the all-star break), and the league was full of "hey they still have it!" players like Shanahan and Guerin and such - and we should've started our rebuild proper.

I guess what I don't understand is I why they wouldn't do it - it's not like they harbour any sort of notions on pleasing the fanbase - so it's not like they'd care about any cries to keep Mats....if there were any.

Anyways since I haven't posted my thoughts on the topic - it'll come down to the Habs game, and I seriously hope we don't have to pull Raycroft while tied in regulation to pull it out. It'd be interesting, but probably costly.

If we're behind 1 point going into that Habs game then we hafta win it in Regulation otherwise Habs get it.
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#29 » by Osiris » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:14 pm

MAS wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we're behind 1 point going into that Habs game then we hafta win it in Regulation otherwise Habs get it.

I know.

That's why I said it.
yo momma
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#30 » by yo momma » Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:38 pm

1/5
they are proably done
TiMacMania
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#31 » by TiMacMania » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:44 pm

Pchu wrote:It will come down to the last game against the HabNots. The Leafs will beat those French **** crying all the way back to Montreal. That's a guarantee.
wow comon! wtf is that ****
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:10 am

TiMacMania wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

wow comon! wtf is that ****

well that's what your going get in a Leafs forum
rdua
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#33 » by rdua » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:20 am

I had a feeling we'd lose last night. What was that, 3rd game in 4 nights? NYR looked well rested and we were running on fumes by the second. Got to hand it to the Rangers though, they took it to us.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#34 » by Snayr » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:48 am

Pchu wrote:It will come down to the last game against the HabNots. The Leafs will beat those French **** crying all the way back to Montreal. That's a guarantee.

I really look forward to this game. Going to be HUGE. The most important game of the year that is for sure. Its also to our advantage that if we go into OT or SO, no matter what the outcome, Habs win. (This coming from a Habs fan obviously)

The reason I quoted this, is because I fully understand ones passion for their team, as I am a victim of it myself. :wink: Just don't be referring to them as "French ****" because not only are most of them not even french (the players) but it is also insulting to the french speaking people in our awesome country. (This coming from an English person, though I've grown up around french all my life) So I understand your passion as a fan, just show it respectfully.

Anyways, good luck on Saturday! It's gonna be a Doozy!
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
r_gill
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#35 » by r_gill » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:13 am

Leafs fans are too enamored with rebuilding. It doesn't always work out like Pittsburgh people. Look at the Black Hawks or Blue Jackets or Panthers. All those teams have accumulated a lot of talented young players from drafts and they still aren't that good. Pittsburgh just got lucky by getting the 1st overall pick 2 out of 3 years and getting a generational talent in Crosby, and even when they got the 2nd overall pick they still got a guy who can become a top 10 player in Malkin. Anyways it is a moot point because anyone who thinks the Leafs are going to break apart the team and rebuild is delusional, there just going to do what they always do and use the cap space they get to retool. Really it is going to come down to how well JFJ (or whoever the GM is) spends the money.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:36 am

r_gill wrote:Leafs fans are too enamored with rebuilding. It doesn't always work out like Pittsburgh people. Look at the Black Hawks or Blue Jackets or Panthers. All those teams have accumulated a lot of talented young players from drafts and they still aren't that good. Pittsburgh just got lucky by getting the 1st overall pick 2 out of 3 years and sucking for so long. Anyways it is a moot point because anyone who thinks the Leafs are going to break apart the team and rebuild is delusional, there just going to do what they always do and use the cap space they get to retool. Really it is going to come down to how well JFJ (or whoever the GM is) spends the money.

Well then what do you suggest they do? They're going to be in the same spot if they continue on the way they are. Plus the cap situation they are in doesn't help.

I look at the Black Hawks, Blue Jackets, and Panthers and I see pretty much mismanaged franchises that tried to do too much at the wrong time. Their problem is that they haven't drafted as well as the Pittsburgh Penguins, and so far I like what I see from JFJ's drafting history. He put more emphasis on scouting than there has been since 1967 which will only help the team in the long run. The only thing that isn't helping us is that he traded our 2nd rounder next year, and continues to make trades like the Perreault one.

Something has to be done, possibly a mix of both. But the main reason i think we should rebuild and finish close to the bottom, at least for 1 year is because once Sundin is gone, there's no one to replace him. The next superstar to play for the Leafs isn't around yet so I think we need to build one ourselves rather than give up a lot of other assets to get one
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#37 » by Pchu » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:42 pm

[quote="MAS"][/quote]

MAS, I think that's why a lot of GMs (in sports, not just hockey) refused to rebuild. You have to draft well, find good players, sign the proper ones and have the patience to develop these players, and hope these players turn out and not get injured. It's a difficult process.

I do agree that the Leafs have to rebuild and MLSE has to understand that the process takes time. If they don't trade Sundin in the offseason, then that tells me a lot about the organization. So far, they have be taking the easy route.

Maybe the only way they will trade Sundin is Sundin himself request a trade.
rdua
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#38 » by rdua » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:39 pm

Pchu wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If they don't trade Sundin in the offseason, then that tells me a lot about the organization. So far, they have be taking the easy route.

Maybe the only way they will trade Sundin is Sundin himself request a trade.

I would prefer to see Sundin restructure his deal. Although he hasn't been a Leaf his entire career, it seems that way. If restructuring is an option and MLSE fails to do so, it will be clear where their loyalties lie. Unfortunately, after seeing Smyth being traded this season sometimes it becomes clear that the NHL is often than not about the business aspect of things.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#39 » by GQStylin » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:35 am

Do the Leafs really deserve to be in the playoffs? That's the 3rd lead they've blown in the third period now. :nonono: My heart can't take this sh*t!!!

This team will do absolutely nothing even if they do make the playoffs. :-?

Still sticking to my guarantee that the Leafs won't make it. The Habs will take them down if the Isles don't.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#40 » by Crowned » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:54 am

GQStylin wrote:Do the Leafs really deserve to be in the playoffs? That's the 3rd lead they've blown in the third period now. :nonono: My heart can't take this sh*t!!!

This team will do absolutely nothing even if they do make the playoffs. :-?

Still sticking to my guarantee that the Leafs won't make it. The Habs will take them down if the Isles don't.

lol, you're so positive.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs