Post#1 » by straightguji » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:39 pm

I wish they would.

I wonder if JFJ has considered this...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#2 » by Snayr » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:57 pm

I highly doubt anyone would decide to tank right from the get go, at the beginning of the season. You shouldn't be working in the league if that is your "gameplan" for the year. It's a completely different story though when you have 20 games remaining in the season and know you have no chance of getting into the playoffs.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#3 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:17 pm

starplayer02 wrote:I highly doubt anyone would decide to tank right from the get go, at the beginning of the season. You shouldn't be working in the league if that is your "gameplan" for the year. It's a completely different story though when you have 20 games remaining in the season and know you have no chance of getting into the playoffs.

everyone tanked for Crosby noone wona game :wink:

They all surrendered befoire rthe game
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#4 » by Mak » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:11 pm

Leafs refuse to rebuilt so what makes anybody think they would tank for anybody? They would rather sign a couple of over the hill guys so they can keep the team close to the playoffs or get in and get out.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#5 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:22 pm

I've put that idea out there a few times.

The crash is coming soon for this team eventually we will have a year like the Flyers did this year. If it just so happens that, the 08 year happens to be that time then I wouldn't be surprised
AOC
Junior
And1: 8

Post#6 » by AOC » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:15 pm

MAS wrote:I've put that idea out there a few times.

The crash is coming soon for this team eventually we will have a year like the Flyers did this year. If it just so happens that, the 08 year happens to be that time then I wouldn't be surprised

With the Leafs' luck it will probably happen in the year of the worst draft class in NHL history.

Or even it happens in the Tavares year, because of the draft lottery I doubt the NHL would "let" the Leafs get Tavares. Not when he could go to the new Albuquerque Armadillos. ;)
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by MAS » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:39 pm

AOC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

With the Leafs' luck it will probably happen in the year of the worst draft class in NHL history.

Or even it happens in the Tavares year, because of the draft lottery I doubt the NHL would "let" the Leafs get Tavares. Not when he could go to the new Albuquerque Armadillos. ;)

Personally, my prediction is he ends up in Chicago
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by Andrea>Dirk » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:40 am

I hope/wish we could!
But it won't happen..i wonder when they'll actually decide to rebuild? 3 years?
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#9 » by whysoserious » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:36 am

AOC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

More like it would be the same year as Tavares, followed by the Leafs dropping to second or even getting the top pick and deciding to trade it or draft someone else.
straightguji
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by straightguji » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:36 am

MAS wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Personally, my prediction is he ends up in Chicago

If not the Leafs, I really do hope he ends up in Chicago.

The Blackhawks are an absolutely pathetic team and they need a franchise player in the worst way.

An original 6 team and the 3rd biggest city in the US.

If Bettman was going to rig the lottery, IMO he should rig it for the Blackhawks.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,962

Post#11 » by CPT » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:08 am

Do we know of anyone else in the '08 draft class that would make a decent consolation prize?

Because I'm completely in favour of tanking for Tavares, but we would probably screw it up and end up with like the 4th pick.

And then trade it for Brendan Shanahan.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#12 » by Crowned » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:39 pm

I sure hope the Leafs don't tank in '08...Tavares isn't coming out until '09.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by MAS » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:59 pm

Crowned wrote:I sure hope the Leafs don't tank in '08...Tavares isn't coming out until '09.

I took it as starting in October 08 into April 09

but i might be giving people the benefit of the doubt there
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#14 » by Crowned » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:07 am

MAS wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I took it as starting in October 08 into April 09

but i might be giving people the benefit of the doubt there

Oh alright. I thought you all were talking about next years draft (2008), when he's supposed to be drafted the following year (in 2009).
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by CPT » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:54 am

I was just going by what I read in the thread. I don't really know what's going on :lol:.

Are there any good prospects coming out in next year's draft then?

Let's be honest, in the event the Leafs actually tank (never gonna happen), it's not going to be a one year in and out kind of thing. They'll have to dump their higher paid guys (good luck with those stupid no-trade clauses), and they won't be able to jump right back into the mix the following year. This team is going to have to be bad for two years, maybe three, to get the influx of young talent it sorely needs.

I'm a Raptors fan, I have that kind of patience, but I'm not sure the typical Leaf fan will tolerate an extended period of losing like that. The ACC will still be packed though.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#16 » by whysoserious » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:01 am

CPT wrote:I was just going by what I read in the thread. I don't really know what's going on :lol:.

Are there any good prospects coming out in next year's draft then?

Let's be honest, in the event the Leafs actually tank (never gonna happen), it's not going to be a one year in and out kind of thing. They'll have to dump their higher paid guys (good luck with those stupid no-trade clauses), and they won't be able to jump right back into the mix the following year. This team is going to have to be bad for two years, maybe three, to get the influx of young talent it sorely needs.

I'm a Raptors fan, I have that kind of patience, but I'm not sure the typical Leaf fan will tolerate an extended period of losing like that. The ACC will still be packed though.

You know what, they've tried everything else but that over 40 year's and nothing's worked.

Seriously, every team that is usually winning a Cup or are elite teams for extended periods of time, usually draft their own solid core of talent. There are exceptions like Calgary with Iginla and Kiprusoff.

We've gotten lucky in the recent past with development of guys like Kaberle, Stajan, Steen and even going back to Markov. But beyond that, the Leafs have not drafted a potential difference maker probably going all the way back to Wendel Clark. (I could be missing someone)

On another note, in a new cap world, how can the Leafs continue to hand out these stupid no-trade/no-movement clauses. Of all the moves Ferguson has made, those have to be the dumbest things ever in this new era.
marciokop
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by marciokop » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:43 pm

i hope they tank to get tavares\
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by CPT » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:28 pm

vc_dunkchamp wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We've gotten lucky in the recent past with development of guys like Kaberle, Stajan, Steen and even going back to Markov. But beyond that, the Leafs have not drafted a potential difference maker probably going all the way back to Wendel Clark. (I could be missing someone)

Some would say Tuuka Rask is a potential difference maker. :lol:
Hustle&Flow
Starter

Post#19 » by Hustle&Flow » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:51 pm

Is Tavares that good? Can he be compared to Wayne Gretzsky or Mario Lumiex. Or is it gonna be Eric Lindros?
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#20 » by Snayr » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:53 pm

CPT wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Some would say Tuuka Rask is a potential difference maker. :lol:

Yeah but he got traded for Andrew Raycroft ;)
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs