Olie: Caps are playoff team this season

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Olie: Caps are playoff team this season 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Sep 2, 2007 4:36 am

Kolzig: Caps Are 'Playoff Team' After Signings

Olie Kolzig didn't have to think very long when asked whether this summer's flurry of free agent signings have transformed the Washington Capitals into legitimate playoff contenders.

"You want to be greedy and get more players, no question," Kolzig said yesterday, speaking at Kettler Capitals Iceplex after skating through an informal practice with some fellow NHL players. "But with who we have in this room right now, we are a playoff team."

The Capitals' goaltender was referring to the addition of veteran free agents Michael Nylander, Viktor Kozlov and Tom Poti, each of whom were signed in July, as well as 2006 first-round draft pick Nicklas Backstrom, who agreed to terms in May.

"We've got the makings of being a very good team for a long time," Kolzig added. "Hopefully that starts coming to fruition this year."

Training camp doesn't begin until Sept. 14, but that didn't stop Kolzig, 37, from arriving in Washington nearly a month early to continue his rigorous offseason training routine while facing shots from teammates Boyd Gordon and Brian Pothier, as well as Dallas's Jeff Halpern and Florida's David Booth, during daily 1 1/2 -hour sessions in Arlington.

"You have to work twice as hard as you did when you were 25," said Kolzig, who was sporting red, white and blue pads and a mask that matches the Capitals' new uniforms. "That's just nature taking over. If you ask all the guys who retire, it's the grind in the summer that gets to you. But I still do it and get through it. I just wish camp would start tomorrow so I could get out of this. Summer hockey is a necessary evil."

Kolzig also said he would like to play at least three more seasons, preferably in Washington. His contract expires next July and he acknowledged that negotiations on an extension have not begun.

"I've been through the tough times here the past couple of years," Kolzig said. "And now we're hopefully starting to see the fruit of everyone's labor. This is the time when this team is supposed to blossom. I want to be here when this team peaks.

"I feel I'm still competitive. I still have that fire burning. I still feel like I'm one of the top guys in the league."

Link

A public warning to uncle Ted. Olie won't demand big money to finish his career in Washington. You better open up your checkbook for a fan fave. Or I'll be one of the guys who's booing when you're on the jumbotron.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,813

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Management, ownership, the team, the area needs the Caps to become a successful team this season, i.e. a playoff team. It would be pretty sweet if the Wizards and Capitals are playing meaningful games in early Summer of 2008.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#3 » by Scabs304 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:33 pm

I just don't see the Caps making the leap to playoff team. I can see them maybe finishing 10th this season but I still think all the youth trul meshing is still a year away.
I am Scabs.
MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#4 » by MAS » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:42 am

They have an outside chance of making it. The Caps are a gritty hardworking team. Not the easiest team to face at all
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 1, 2007 3:27 am

Over on ESPN, the Caps are favored to win the division which would put them in the top 3 in the East standings (if I read that right). I dunno about winning the division, but a 7th or 8th place finish would suffice, especially for a team this young. The key is to keep adding free agents at the necessary positions.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 3, 2007 4:22 pm

ESPN Ranked the Washington Capitals 25th in their first power rankings:

25. Washington Capitals
The Capitals have young talent (Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin), they brought in talent (Michael Nylander) and they've kept talent (Olaf Kolzig). Now, can that produce real results this season? Washington has the reputation of being a hard team to play against, but after awhile, that can't be enough for fans.

John Buccigross ranked the Capitals 14th in the East:

14. Washington Capitals

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part
-- "The Waiting" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

The Capitals should be better than last season. That won't be difficult as Washington won only 28 games, the second fewest in the NHL. And with the additions of Michael Nylander, Tom Poti, Viktor Kozlov and rookie Nicklas Backstrom, the Capitals will score more and improve a poor power play. But those five will do little to improve the Capitals' defense, which is what they will need to start thinking about the playoffs.

The key for a team like the Capitals is getting off to a good start and giving their young guys and Kozlov purpose in their strides. I agree with what the Capitals are doing by going with their young players. The team is giving its youngsters ample opportunity to grow, while simultaneously continuing to acquire top-level talent with high draft picks. This past summer, the Caps drafted big defenseman Karl Alzner, who continues to improve in the WHL with the Calgary Hitmen. This season, Washington will either mildly surprise by reaching the postseason or get another lottery pick.

That being said, I do believe the Capitals have a shot at the playoffs and this 14th spot might be too low. If they can get their goals up to 250 and goals against down to 250, they should be able to earn around 90 points. That will put them in the playoff hunt. Then, they can reassess come deadline time if they want to add some defensive help in an attempt to make a stronger playoff run -- as long as they don't give up top-end value.

Capitals fans should feel good about things. Their team is getting better. They made a great uniform change. And they can read some old Washington Capitals stories in a brand new hockey book called "Jonesy: The Improbable NHL Career of Keith Jones" available everywhere now.

Return to Washington Capitals