ImageImageImageImageImage

Who would you Draft with the number 1 pick

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Who would you take with the number 1 overall pick

Eric Gordon
7%
Derrick Rose
73%
Michael Beasley
10%
Michael Beasley
10%

Total votes: 30

Bermanater3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Who would you Draft with the number 1 pick 

Post#1 » by Bermanater3 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:57 pm

i can't decide between derrick rose and eric gordon...

rose: incredible potential and great point guard prospect... best vision and great at getting teamates involved and very explosive
gordon: best scorer from long range and off the dribble... explosive only knock is him being slightly undersized at a height between 6'2 and 6'4

i think isiah loves crawford and would therefore go with rose which i would be fine with but both are quality guys and i cant decide who would be better... i could see gordon being in the MJ type mold and i see rose as a gary payton mold... a great problem to have...

Beasley seems to be the consensus number 1 in most mocks but i don't like his character

and deandre is all about potential
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,884

Post#2 » by Jose7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:59 pm

Derrick Rose probably even though I really like Bayless better. Rose would be an awesome guy to build around but we have to get rid of all these fat **** on the roster.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:04 am

I think if you started clean that the guy you'd take is the current consensus no.1 Michael Beasley.

As far as NY goes? Hard to say.

Beasley IMHO has the best chance of being a stud in the NBA but obviously with Frick and Frack here it'll be hard to justify drafting him.

Rose has unbelievable physical skills, good character and nice PG instincts but I'm a bit concerned about his demeanor...especially if thrust into the NY spotlight (Beasley IMHO will eat the NY **** up and love it).

Gordon really has a lot of things that you love, physical talent, basketball skills and an unwavering confidence to go with it.

It'll be difficult for sure if NY gets the no.1 pick. Almost makes you wish that they didn't...

...almost.
Jose7
RealGM

Post#4 » by Jose7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:09 am

Personally I see Derrick Rose as a bigger version of Monta Ellis without the jumpshot. Athletically he is off the charts and he has that power/speed combo from the PG posiiton which is so rare.
BAF Suns

ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#5 » by ijag23 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:15 am

Its still too early, but if I had to pick right now it would be Rose. I think Mayo and Jordan could be major contenders by the end of March.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 844

Post#6 » by KOA » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:19 am

I would trade down to get Gordon. I think he is the most sure thing out of Beasley and Rose for NY's circumstance.

Every good team has someone that can shoot the ball. Getting someone as explosive as Gordon would completely open up the offense. Imagine a world where you won't have to hear the words Q-brick or Air Jeffries; instead it would be 3-point goal, Eriiiiic Gooordon.

I think Beasley will be a great player that wouldn't work well in NY as long as Randolph and Curry are still here.

Rose wouldn't do to well either because the Knicks would still be left without a shooter.

There are many other PGs in this draft that can fill in nicely for the future.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#7 » by GuyverADL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:30 am

:rofl: :rofl:

Beasley is the unanimous 1st pick. He can break his leg right now and STILL go number one. The kid has stud written all over him.

His combination of size, skill, and athleticism beyond anyone else's in this draft class.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 844

Post#8 » by KOA » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:36 am

Just because a player is talented does not mean he will fit in with any team that picks him...
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#9 » by GuyverADL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:51 am

KOA wrote:Just because a player is talented does not mean he will fit in with any team that picks him...

A team will trade down. Beasley is going number 1. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.

He will probably grow to be 6' 10". The kid is going to be a beast.
Jose7
RealGM

Post#10 » by Jose7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:53 am

optimusadl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

A team will trade down. Beasley is going number 1. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial.

He will probably grow to be 6' 10". The kid is going to be a beast.

He probably is most NBA ready but in terms of a building block, a point guard is how you must go especially a leader. Look around the league, most of the best teams have thebest PGs in the league. Billups, Nash, Davis, Parker, Paul, Williams, TJ Ford, J Kidd, etc. The guards coming out of this draft can potentially be that kind of building block.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#11 » by GuyverADL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:57 am

[quote="Jose7
Jose7
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jose7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:00 am

optimusadl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I understand but when was the last time a PG went as the number 1 pick?

Rose to me has bust written all over him. Im just being honest. Whenever I evaluate a prospect I say how good would he be without his athleticism? In Rose's case :nonono: it not pretty.

Who cares about #1?

Imagine what the bucks or hawks would be if they took either Deron williams or chris paul, especially atlanta. IF ATL had Paul, you'd be talking about title contention, seriously.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#13 » by GuyverADL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:14 am

[quote="Jose7
Jose7
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jose7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:18 am

Coach Jay Wright
BAF Suns

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#15 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:21 am

I haven't been seriously impressed with anybody from this draft class like I was with Oden and Durant last year. If we get the #1 pick, I'd likely draft Rose, but if we picked #2, I'd trade down and try to get 2 picks in the lottery if that was at all possible.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:25 am

[quote="Jose7
Bermanater3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Bermanater3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:29 am

for us beasley simply doesnt fit... we have curry and randolph here long term it would only hurt him and limit how good he could be...

id bring the debate between rose and gordon... and it depends on how march goes but i see gordon's swagger,shot and explosiveness to be the x-factor and i think he just has that kobe bryant confidence to hit game winning shots that i dont see in any of these other players...

i vote gordon
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:49 am

Just to take what I mentioned previously (about being able to play in NY) one step further...

I think what people need to realize that, right or wrong, whomever the Knicks take in this upcoming draft will quite literally have a weight of the real Titanic on his shoulders. The expectations will be that whichever player they draft will be the savior of this franchise. In fact it is not too out of line to imagine that the headlines in the NY tabloids the day after the draft titled "SAVIOR".

THAT is a tall burden that whomever the Knicks draft is going to have to bear, going to have to live up to, going to have to face day in and day out. So, yes, talent and position matters, but the ability to handle playing in NY more so than ever (even during the Yankee years where every pitcher seemed to have the deer-in-the-headlights look about them) this player is going to have to not only be able to play in NY but, for the Knicks sake, to thrive in NY.

The "Ed Whitson" factor most definitely is a HUGE factor here in determining who to take.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:00 am

Not to drag this out but what I'm referring to as the ability to play in NY is also what is commonly referred to as the quality that superstars have...the ability to rise to the adversity in front of him and thrive in it. That is something that can't be taught, that can't be learned, that you are born with and either are or are not. So with that in mind which one of the many fine players that likely will be available in this upcoming draft has that quality about him? Those are the guys that the Knicks need to be narrowing down their draft board to REGARDLESS of position. If it's Rose, then super. If it's Gordon or Mayo or Jordan then great. But if it's Beasley, having Heckyl and Jeckyl here should not detract them from taking him. Contrary to popular belief, you CAN trade either of the Bobsy twins if you really wanted to and you shouldn't hold back your franchise for the sake of the "Not So Dynamic Duo".

Return to New York Knicks