ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,730

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#101 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Guano wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion - dad issues and existential crisis - whats not to love

My controversial anime opinion is that I did not care for Evangelion

I get what they were going for, but I don't think they stuck the landing, even with End of Evangelion.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,119

Post#102 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:18 pm

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:The problem with anime is that it's overwhelming jumping into a show. How tf am I suppose to watch a show that has 500+ episodes with side movies. I dont want to have to research what order and what to skip and all that. Another problem how am I suppose to choose from the 100 different recommendations. It's overwhelming af so I end up mindlessly scrolling Twitter or picking up a cheesy fantasy novel instead.

That's a fair complaint. But, I've got good news for you:

The days of 500+ episode epics are pretty much over, as manga authors of today aren't committing to doing really long series anymore like their predecessors due to the unhealthy workload that they have to take on to produce a weekly 19 page serial, so anime studios are opting for the American Seasonal model instead where you get 12-24 episodes. One Piece is the last of the old guard remaining.

What kind of genres do you like? I'll recommend some series that don't have massive episode counts.

JuJutsu Kaisen is 24 episodes + the 90 minute prequel movie so far. If you want to dip your toes in some modern anime that won't suck all of your time, that's a good starter

Beautiful animation and a good dark fantasy story with plenty of action and humor.

I've crushed JuJutsu Kaisen - whatever was available on hbo.

as far as what i like -
mushushi(sp?) I really enjoyed even though it was episodic and that sht usually annoys tf outta me.
gurren lagun(sp?) throwing galaxies at each other might have been the most badass fight scene i've ever watched
code geass - main character was badass
Clannad - sht was heartbreaking - loved it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - dad issues and existential crisis - whats not to love
Cowboy Bebop - music was so good.

that's some off the top of my head

oh fullmetal alchemist were fun, too

I want to watch Bleach but it seems a little overwhelming to get into. I usually just watch whatever is on netflix or hbo.

Nice list! Did you ever watch the Evangelion Rebuild movies on Amazon? I highly recommend them.

Code Geass is a classic. LeLouch is one of my favorite characters of all time.

Yeah, Bleach may be a bit much to get into. Large episode count and lots of filler episodes that interrupt the main storyline repeatedly. Too bad, because The Thousand Year Blood War series is flawless so far.

I would recommend Demon Slayer. Only two seasons so far. You don't have to watch the movie since they adapted the movie into the first part of season 2.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,003

Post#103 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:21 pm

Gravy wrote:
Guano wrote:The problem with anime is that it's overwhelming jumping into a show. How tf am I suppose to watch a show that has 500+ episodes with side movies. I dont want to have to research what order and what to skip and all that. Another problem how am I suppose to choose from the 100 different recommendations. It's overwhelming af so I end up mindlessly scrolling Twitter or picking up a cheesy fantasy novel instead.

Its like when I was a kid and would walk into a comic book store and they would be up to Xmen #256 and I'd be like "I gotta read 255 issues to catch up to this nah I'll just watch the cartoon thats on season 2".

bruh, thats the same issue I have with comics.

I end up just going with the off comics like Saga or the wicked and the divine
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#104 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:25 pm

DOT wrote:
Guano wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion - dad issues and existential crisis - whats not to love

I get what they were going for, but I don't think they stuck the landing, even with End of Evangelion.

I don't think it's that controversial to be honest. I think Evangelion is an all timer, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it.

I watched all of Evangelion (series + films) one time, and that was back in college many many years ago. The series gave me an existential crisis, to this day I can't rewatch the entire thing. I refuse. The last two episodes of the original tv series were a complete mindf*ck and made me feel depressed. The End of Evangelion didn't do me any favors.

Then there's the whole thing with Shinji and what he did in the hospital while Asuka was in a coma. That was one of the most disgusting things I've seen in an anime, and that is saying a lot. It turned me right off, even my younger self was put off by it...there's just certain things you don't do to anyone, male or female.

On the other hand, I watched the Rebuild of Evangelion films on Amazon Prime and I felt pretty good and happy at the end. It was nowhere near as depressing as the original.

Guano
RealGM

Post#105 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:26 pm

DOT wrote:

I get it - the ending was pretty confusing and abstract. honestly it resonated a lot with me because of the "dad issues". it's dry and slow and the fighting scenes are pretty lame, too, so I get why a lot of people don't fck with it.
Guano
RealGM

Post#106 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:

I don't think it's that controversial to be honest. I think Evangelion is an all timer, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it.

I watched all of Evangelion (series + films) one time, and that was back in college many many years ago. The series gave me an existential crisis, to this day I can't rewatch the entire thing. I refuse. The last two episodes of the original tv series were a complete mindf*ck and made me feel depressed. The End of Evangelion didn't do me any favors.

Then there's the whole thing with Shinji and what he did in the hospital while Asuka was in a coma. That was one of the most disgusting things I've seen in an anime, and that is saying a lot. It turned me right off, even my younger self was put off by it...there's just certain things you don't do to anyone, male or female.

On the other hand, I watched the Rebuild of Evangelion films on Amazon Prime and I felt pretty good and happy at the end. It was nowhere near as depressing as the original.

see, this is the sht that pisses me off with anime. I just watched the series and had no idea there were movies and what not. fomo happens way too much for my temperamental anxiety.
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 17,215

Post#107 » by evevale » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:That's a fair complaint. But, I've got good news for you:

The days of 500+ episode epics are pretty much over, as manga authors of today aren't committing to doing really long series anymore like their predecessors due to the unhealthy workload that they have to take on to produce a weekly 19 page serial, so anime studios are opting for the American Seasonal model instead where you get 12-24 episodes. One Piece is the last of the old guard remaining.

What kind of genres do you like? I'll recommend some series that don't have massive episode counts.

JuJutsu Kaisen is 24 episodes + the 90 minute prequel movie so far. If you want to dip your toes in some modern anime that won't suck all of your time, that's a good starter

Beautiful animation and a good dark fantasy story with plenty of action and humor.

as far as what i like -
mushushi(sp?) I really enjoyed even though it was episodic and that sht usually annoys tf outta me.
gurren lagun(sp?) throwing galaxies at each other might have been the most badass fight scene i've ever watched

I want to watch Bleach but it seems a little overwhelming to get into. I usually just watch whatever is on netflix or hbo.

my daughter would be pissed that I didnt mention Studio Ghibli - we've crushed all of those movies. Spirited Away and princess mononoke being our personal favs

i like kaisen but i'm not in love w/ it. same w/ black clover which is kinda similar. did any of you guys watch overlord? i **** loved taht show but i think they stopped production?

bebop fma:brotherhood and princess mononoke are my 3 all-time favorites. princess mononoke especially has aged so well it's crazy to think it's almost 30 years old ...

another guilty pleasure of mine is inuyasha, i used to binge watch that show @ 3am on adult swim while playing WoW back in the day. they made a sequel to it w/ their kids and i've watched a couple eps w/ the volume turned way down :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#108 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 pm

Here's a one season anime that I highly recommend: Blade of The Immortal

Blade of the Immortal follows the deeds of Manji, a skilled rōnin who has a decisive advantage: no wound can kill him, except for a rare poison. In the past, his criminal actions led to the death of 100 other samurai (including his sister's husband). He becomes immortal at the hand of an 800-year-old nun named Yaobikuni, and is compelled by the death of his sister to accept the quest that will end his agelessness. He has vowed to make amends by killing 1,000 evil men, and until he does Manji will be kept alive by "sacred bloodworms" (血仙蟲, kessen-chū), remarkable creatures that allow him to survive nearly any injury and reattach severed limbs even after hours of separation. They work by sacrificing themselves to seal the wound - they are worms that were bred to be as close in chemical and physical make-up to humans as possible without actually being human. They cannot handle regrowth on a large scale, but, for example, can reattach a severed limb or seal a hole in the brain.

Manji crosses paths with a young girl named Rin Asano and promises to help her avenge her parents, who were killed by a cadre of master swordsmen led by Anotsu Kagehisa. Anotsu killed Rin's father and his entire dōjō, making them a family of outcasts. Anotsu's quest is to gather other outcasts and form an extremely powerful new dojo, the Ittō-ryū (a school teaching any technique that wins, no matter how exotic or underhanded), and has started taking over and destroying other dojos.

The manga is one of my all time favorites, with some of the most masterful illustrations you'll find, and the treatment the anime gave it was beautiful. There's no censorship so it's hardcore edo period samurai hack and slash, but be warned, there is a rape scene in the series (not graphic, but it's there). It's 24 episodes and it's on Amazon Prime.

Guano
RealGM

Post#109 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:37 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
That's a fair complaint. But, I've got good news for you:

as far as what i like -

Nice list! Did you ever watch the Evangelion Rebuild movies on Amazon? I highly recommend them.

Yeah, Bleach may be a bit much to get into. Large episode count and lots of filler episodes that interrupt the main storyline repeatedly. Too bad, because The Thousand Year Blood War series is flawless so far.

I would recommend Demon Slayer. Only two seasons so far. You don't have to watch the movie since they adapted the movie into the first part of season 2.

I watched Demon Slayer on netflix. It was pretty fun.

everyone I've heard talk about Bleach says it's amazing. I think I might attempt it at some point.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#110 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:My controversial anime opinion is that I did not care for Evangelion

see, this is the sht that pisses me off with anime. I just watched the series and had no idea there were movies and what not. fomo happens way too much for my temperamental anxiety.

a bit of a spoiler alert about the movies:

Spoiler:
They are a direct sequel to the original series

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:

as far as what i like -

everyone I've heard talk about Bleach says it's amazing. I think I might attempt it at some point.

I can put together an episode watch list for you that corresponds with the story from the manga. That way you can skip the filler crap.

Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#112 » by Gravy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Gravy wrote:

Its like when I was a kid and would walk into a comic book store and they would be up to Xmen #256 and I'd be like "I gotta read 255 issues to catch up to this nah I'll just watch the cartoon thats on season 2".

yeah that's a problem exclusive to western comic books from Marvel and DC, they're not very accessible to new readers because the series never end. With manga and anime all stories are finite.

This is why manga like My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan are destroying Marvel and DC in book sales here in the USA.

Yeah I read through Watchmen because it was one and done.

Although, I like almost every nerdy thing but cant get into anime or manga for some reason.
Guano
RealGM

Post#113 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:41 pm

evevale wrote:
Guano wrote:

as far as what i like -

my daughter would be pissed that I didnt mention Studio Ghibli - we've crushed all of those movies. Spirited Away and princess mononoke being our personal favs

i like kaisen but i'm not in love w/ it. same w/ black clover which is kinda similar. did any of you guys watch overlord? i **** loved taht show but i think they stopped production?

bebop fma:brotherhood and princess mononoke are my 3 all-time favorites. princess mononoke especially has aged so well it's crazy to think it's almost 30 years old ...

another guilty pleasure of mine is inuyasha, i used to binge watch that show @ 3am on adult swim while playing WoW back in the day. they made a sequel to it w/ their kids and i've watched a couple eps w/ the volume turned way down :lol:

princess mononoke is flawless. there is absolutely nothing wrong with that movie. from start to finish it's a masterpiece. and it's good on a rewatch which I never like to do.

I throw overlord on my daunting growing list of things to watch along with kabaneri
Guano
RealGM

Post#114 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I can put together an episode watch list for you that corresponds with the story from the manga. That way you can skip the filler crap.

I'll get a crunchyroll sub right now if you do
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#115 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:42 pm

evevale wrote:
Guano wrote:

as far as what i like -

Overlord is dope, they recently just completed season 4 this year.

Inuyasha is a classic, but I tried watching the sequel with his daughter. It's fun, but I don't like the format of the series. The monster of the week style of story telling feels outdated.

Anything by Studio Ghibli is golden.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:

Bleach is no longer on CrunchyRoll, it is on Hulu. Disney brought the distribution rights to it.

I actually found a list already done :lol: Bleach as the author intended is 166 episodes:

Bleach (Season 1, Episodes 1-20)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 21-26)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 28-31)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 34-41)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 42-45)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 47-49)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 51-63)
Bleach (Season 6, Episode 110)
Bleach (Season 6, Episode 112-115)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 117-118)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 121-123)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 125-127)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 138-140)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 142)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 144-145)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 150-151)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 152-155)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 157-159)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 162-167)
Bleach (Season 10, Episodes 191-192)
Bleach (Season 10, Episodes 194-203)
Bleach (Season 11, Episode 208)
Bleach (Season 11, Episodes 210-212)
Bleach (Season 12, Episodes 215-221)
Bleach (Season 12, Episodes 224-227)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 269-273)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 275)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 277-283)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 286)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 289)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 292-294)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 296-297)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 300-302)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 306-309)
Bleach (Season 16, Episode 344)
Bleach (Season 16, Episodes 346-350)
Bleach (Season 16, 352-354)
Bleach (Season 16, 356-366)

After all of this, you can hop into The Thousand Year Blood War, which is nearing the end of its first batch of episodes. Good luck :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#117 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:50 pm

Gravy wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Gravy wrote:Its like when I was a kid and would walk into a comic book store and they would be up to Xmen #256 and I'd be like "I gotta read 255 issues to catch up to this nah I'll just watch the cartoon thats on season 2".

yeah that's a problem exclusive to western comic books from Marvel and DC, they're not very accessible to new readers because the series never end. With manga and anime all stories are finite.

This is why manga like My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan are destroying Marvel and DC in book sales here in the USA.

Although, I like almost every nerdy thing but cant get into anime or manga for some reason.

You ever check out Invincible on Amazon?

Guano
RealGM

Post#118 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Bleach is no longer on CrunchyRoll, it is on Hulu. Disney brought the distribution rights to it.

I actually found a list already done :lol: Bleach as the author intended is 166 episodes:

Bleach (Season 1, Episodes 1-20)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 21-26)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 28-31)
Bleach (Season 2, Episodes 34-41)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 42-45)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 47-49)
Bleach (Season 3, Episodes 51-63)
Bleach (Season 6, Episode 110)
Bleach (Season 6, Episode 112-115)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 117-118)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 121-123)
Bleach (Season 6, Episodes 125-127)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 138-140)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 142)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 144-145)
Bleach (Season 7, Episodes 150-151)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 152-155)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 157-159)
Bleach (Season 8, Episodes 162-167)
Bleach (Season 10, Episodes 191-192)
Bleach (Season 10, Episodes 194-203)
Bleach (Season 11, Episode 208)
Bleach (Season 11, Episodes 210-212)
Bleach (Season 12, Episodes 215-221)
Bleach (Season 12, Episodes 224-227)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 269-273)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 275)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 277-283)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 286)
Bleach (Season 14, Episode 289)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 292-294)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 296-297)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 300-302)
Bleach (Season 14, Episodes 306-309)
Bleach (Season 16, Episode 344)
Bleach (Season 16, Episodes 346-350)
Bleach (Season 16, 352-354)
Bleach (Season 16, 356-366)

After all of this, you can hop into The Thousand Year Blood War, which is nearing the end of its first batch of episodes. Good luck :lol:

:o
jfc
:lol:

thank you... though this is really going to test the bonds of my marriage :lol:
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,787

Post#119 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Just got a Nintendo Switch. enjoying Mario oddessy...What games should I get next? Im Getting Zelda BOW. What else?

What kind of genres do you like?

Breath of the Wild is one of the best games i've ever played in my life. The next Zelda comes out in 2023 :nod:

I’m mainly a 2k gamer but I like open world games yea Zelda looks dope
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#120 » by Gravy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Gravy wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You ever check out Invincible on Amazon?

Not yet but I've heard about it, I'll eventually get around to watching it

Return to New York Knicks