ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Janquinn87
Freshman
And1: 110

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#101 » by Janquinn87 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:27 pm

We better draft players no shorter then 6'7. The league is going big. The lakers, Nuggets, Bucks, are huge.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,786

Post#102 » by ScienceOfLosing » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:17 pm

8516knicks wrote::nod: From the lack of posts it looks like the Board has given up on the idea of the Knicks getting and using a decent draft pick this year. :nod:

KTSD, the Knicks induced version of ptsd.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#103 » by robillionaire » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:32 pm

He’s only played in 3 games so this is way too early but I’m liking the skill set of Aaron bradshaw. He’s a legit 7’0/7’1, runs the floor, gets blocks 2/3 from 3 in those games so can possibly shoot the ball. If he keeps playing well he could move out of our range

Tankathon has him going 28th and 32nd on their board and we have 20,21,31,37 picks. That pistons pick looks comfy at 31, I definitely expect us to use that one

I’ll wait for more evidence but not having a center is making me want to draft one again
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,021

Post#104 » by 8516knicks » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:23 am

KNICK BOARD ANTHEM --
PeteW
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#105 » by PeteW » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:40 pm

Is this Nikola guy from Serbia any good. Love me some Euro prospects
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,645

Post#106 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:48 pm

So we're doing this now? lol
Free Palestine
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man

Post#107 » by ScienceOfLosing » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:55 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So we're doing this now? lol

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,633

Post#108 » by WargamesX » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:38 pm

I like this draft more and more for the knicks. It’s not an easy draft to scout for so teams like the knicks who actually invest in scouting might be able to pull a very good player in the 20’s.

A lot of young guys are bunched together on teams trying to get as much NIL money as possible, upper classman who look good would need to have been scouted a earlier, and there is a decent amount of international talent. A lot of teams who are cheap with scouting are going to be loss come draft day but the knicks to their credit actually scout well when they have late first.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,460

Post#109 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:41 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote::lol: They aren't drafting anyone!

It depends, but that said, you could very easily be right.

Leon doesn't make panic trades, so if he can't get what he wants, he'll keep the picks, though I could see a draft day trade or two when the picks have value to a team that covets an available player (Ousmane Dieng)

I could see them trading back for a 2024 first or maybe 2024 and 2025/6.

Right now they have picks 20 and 21. That's got some value.
Didn't expect to be rooting for the Celtics, but that's what happened.

Go Boston, Go Boston. Go Boston. Crush the silly Mavericks.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Jan 1, 2024 11:44 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:
8516knicks wrote::nod: From the lack of posts it looks like the Board has given up on the idea of the Knicks getting and using a decent draft pick this year. :nod:

KTSD, the Knicks induced version of ptsd.

Well, last year stung with the Cuban tank, and the trade deadline hasn't passed yet so we don't even know if they'll still have the picks a couple weeks from now, and . . .it's also early.

After the trade deadline, maybe this thread will pick up, though I think we all know the picks, if they're still here, they'll be dangled in an off-season trade.

I like drafting players, so I hope they keep one of the firsts at least.

SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,084

Post#111 » by SARGO127 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:15 pm

Use the two picks and another if needed to get Clingan. Him and Mitch as our 5s going forward would be amazing.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by ScienceOfLosing » Fri Jan 5, 2024 4:22 pm

SARGO127 wrote:Use the two picks and another if needed to get Clingan. Him and Mitch as our 5s going forward would be amazing.

Not familiar w his game but if by some act of God, we keep the picks,
We need insurance for Mitch (cough Duren cough) and help for the bench, so maybe best available.
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,127

Post#113 » by Snacks » Fri Jan 5, 2024 5:56 pm

DIMINISHING RETURNS
iHart
Jules
OG
DD
JB
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,652

Post#114 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:19 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

Leon doesn't make panic trades, so if he can't get what he wants, he'll keep the picks, though I could see a draft day trade or two when the picks have value to a team that covets an available player (Ousmane Dieng)

No. The Knicks hate the draft! :nonono:
:beer: RIP mags
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

I don't think that's true. They're just selective on who they like.

The old knicks used to trade future first like they were giving away candy. Leon has done the opposite. He collects draft assets. sometimes trading down on draft day, but that's for a specific player who they think will still be around a few picks later.

Here's a fun fact. The Knicks haven't traded a top 10 pick since 2002 (Nene & Camby for McDyess & Frank-Will). They've given away a lot of high picks, but only through trading future picks and then sucking.

They like high picks and rarely trade them. They traded #11 in 2022 but they got 3 picks in return. Hard to argue with that.

They've drafted some dogs with those top 10 picks, but they always kept the picks.

Leon has done a lot of draft dealings, often trading down, but he's won most of those swaps. And they seem to like most of the guys they draft. Quick, McBride, Grimes, even Sims - they seem to like those guys. Obi didn't work out. Keels was gone in a year, but to say they don't like the draft is just silly. Especially now that they've lost some depth. They have 2 SGs, but might be looking for an upgrade. They need a backup PG bigtime and they need a bigman. 3 draft picks in 2024 (NYK, Dallas - firsts, Jazz - 2nd). I think right now they keep at least 2 of those picks, unless they do another trade before the deadline.

This thread is kind of flying blind until the trade deadline passes, however. Gotta wait and see what happens with that.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#116 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:11 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

The old knicks used to trade future first like they were giving away candy. Leon has done the opposite. He collects draft assets. sometimes trading down on draft day, but that's for a specific player who they think will still be around a few picks later.

Here's a fun fact. The Knicks haven't traded a top 10 pick since 2002 (Nene & Camby for McDyess & Frank-Will). They've given away a lot of high picks, but only through trading future picks and then sucking.

They like high picks and rarely trade them. They traded #11 in 2022 but they got 3 picks in return. Hard to argue with that.

They've drafted some dogs with those top 10 picks, but they always kept the picks.

Leon has done a lot of draft dealings, often trading down, but he's won most of those swaps. And they seem to like most of the guys they draft. Quick, McBride, Grimes, even Sims - they seem to like those guys. Obi didn't work out. Keels was gone in a year, but to say they don't like the draft is just silly. Especially now that they've lost some depth. They have 2 SGs, but might be looking for an upgrade. They need a backup PG bigtime and they need a bigman. 3 draft picks in 2024 (NYK, Dallas - firsts, Jazz - 2nd). I think right now they keep at least 2 of those picks, unless they do another trade before the deadline.

This thread is kind of flying blind until the trade deadline passes, however. Gotta wait and see what happens with that.

Obviously I'm exaggerating but yeah. They won't have any high picks unless something goes terribly wrong. Never say never but, there's a good chance this years picks are gone within a few weeks.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,021

Post#117 » by 8516knicks » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:42 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Obviously I'm exaggerating but yeah. They won't have any high picks unless something goes terribly wrong. Never say never but, there's a good chance this years picks are gone within a few weeks.[/quote
Someone made a good point that we need some cheap good development rookies we can stick in a big trade if need be. So we probably keep one of ours and Dallas pick.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#118 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:57 pm

8516knicks wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

Obviously I'm exaggerating but yeah. They won't have any high picks unless something goes terribly wrong. Never say never but, there's a good chance this years picks are gone within a few weeks.[/quote
Someone made a good point that we need some cheap good development rookies we can stick in a big trade if need be. So we probably keep one of ours and Dallas pick.

A 2RP will be what we use in the draft. The NYK/DAL FRPs will be traded in some fashion. That's my guess. We aren't upgrading our team in trade without using picks. Maybe we pile up the protected ones but...I can see at least one FRP going out before draft night.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:45 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
A 2RP will be what we use in the draft. The NYK/DAL FRPs will be traded in some fashion. That's my guess. We aren't upgrading our team in trade without using picks. Maybe we pile up the protected ones but...I can see at least one FRP going out before draft night.

Let me just add that I don't entirely disagree with you. The Knicks are obviously dangling the picks to improve their team this year, so trading the picks could happen.

I still kinda hope they hold onto at least 2 of their 3 picks with this supposed to be a deep draft. I think they seem to draft well at least with the later picks and they could use an infusion of youth. I also think that the "thibs hates rookies" is a little overblown. The kids have gotten minutes mostly. The ones who are NBA worthy at least.

SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,084

Post#120 » by SARGO127 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Once Grimes is dealt, we’ll have no rookie contract players in the rotation. That needs to change for multiple reasons. I would expect we add at least two rookies in 2024… given we have Brunson due for a new contract soon (can opt out after year 3). iHart and OG need new deals. In order to keep that tax bill down, we need cheap rotational guys.

Return to New York Knicks