ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Donte > Deuce

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Re: PG: Deuce > Donte 

Post#101 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:59 am

Janquinn87 wrote:This team is terribly undersized at the wing position. Donte, Hart and Grimes are 6'4. Rj is our only wing with size at 6'6 this team is going to get destroyed by teams like Boston and Denver with wing at 6'9 and 6'10. We better hope Randle stay healthy, very poor roster construction.

True but GS is also very small
vincccent
Junior
And1: 192

Post#102 » by vincccent » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:25 am

Capn'O wrote:I blame the Mavs for this. We could have just drafted Whitmore and we'd be good with the backup big wing hole.

Still, I have a hard time believing that there wasn't some minor move available to fill backup PF. It feels negligent.

It's a shame they didn't got punished for that.
German Knicks lover.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,960

Post#103 » by RHODEY » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:00 am

DrCoach wrote:
Janquinn87 wrote:This team is terribly undersized at the wing position. Donte, Hart and Grimes are 6'4. Rj is our only wing with size at 6'6 this team is going to get destroyed by teams like Boston and Denver with wing at 6'9 and 6'10. We better hope Randle stay healthy, very poor roster construction.

But they can shoot and they pass and they still kinda suck now anyway.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,960

Post#104 » by RHODEY » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:03 am

vincccent wrote:
Capn'O wrote:I blame the Mavs for this. We could have just drafted Whitmore and we'd be good with the backup big wing hole.

Still, I have a hard time believing that there wasn't some minor move available to fill backup PF. It feels negligent.

They cater too much to Thibs....so now we have raggedy Roby instead. Thib's doesn't want anyone good at the PF position. ...it would put pressure on him to sub out Randle.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,959

Post#105 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:41 pm

RHODEY wrote:
vincccent wrote:

They cater too much to Thibs....so now we have raggedy Roby instead. Thib's doesn't want anyone good at the PF position. ...it would put pressure on him to sub out Randle.

What if Jacob Toppin is a guy?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,405

Post#106 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:48 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
vincccent wrote:

We're probably about to find out unless Sims starts posting and toasting and Roby is drilling threes from the corner
ImageImageImage
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#107 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:50 pm

RHODEY wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

They do have a GOAT but their tallest starting player in 6’8
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#108 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:54 pm

Donte had 2 really good steals in the game
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,627

Post#109 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:59 pm

I like Donte as a player. Nothing special but, plays with a purpose. Good depth player. Chemistry with JB/Hart is a plus. Problem is, we didn't need him. I have to believe they were bringing him in to replace IQ eventually for obvious reasons. Can IQ be extended then traded? That's what I think is the next potential move by the deadline. They need to consolidate and balance the roster. Where do they see IQ in that light? He's definitely one of our better value pieces in trades.

It is anyone's guess what they are aiming for here. Too many decent guards to find minutes for. No real SF on the roster. No urgency to fill the backup 4. Does Thibs really want this roster to run it back with?

Your 2023-24 New York Knicks:

Brunson/IQ
Grimes/DVC
RJ/Hart
Randle
Mitch/iHart

Deuce will most likely be in the rotation on some level. Not sure anyone else plays much at all. Thibs doesn't like bench players.
:beer: RIP mags
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,959

Post#110 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:59 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
RHODEY wrote: They cater too much to Thibs....so now we have raggedy Roby instead. Thib's doesn't want anyone good at the PF position. ...it would put pressure on him to sub out Randle.

We're probably about to find out unless Sims starts posting and toasting and Roby is drilling threes from the corner

Just amazed Thibs let iHart take a 3 despite that it's a strength of his.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#111 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:09 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:I like Donte as a player. Nothing special but, plays with a purpose. Good depth player. Chemistry with JB/Hart is a plus. Problem is, we didn't need him. I have to believe they were bringing him in to replace IQ eventually for obvious reasons. Can IQ be extended then traded? That's what I think is the next potential move by the deadline. They need to consolidate and balance the roster. Where do they see IQ in that light? He's definitely one of our better value pieces in trades.

It is anyone's guess what they are aiming for here. Too many decent guards to find minutes for. No real SF on the roster. No urgency to fill the backup 4. Does Thibs really want this roster to run it back with?

Brunson/IQ
Grimes/DVC
RJ/Hart
Randle
Mitch/iHart

Deuce will most likely be in the rotation on some level. Not sure anyone else plays much at all. Thibs doesn't like bench players.

IQ is the question mark now. They must have been confident Donte would provide whatever IQ brings them off the bench, otherwise there's no real point to the signing.

While I was not surprised no trades happened in the off-season, I would be surprised if none happen during the season.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#112 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:15 pm

DrCoach wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

They do have a GOAT but their tallest starting player in 6’8

Draymond was their X factor that allowed them to prosper as a smaller squad. For that kind of squad you need a tough F/C who can face the basket, see the floor and pass well (something we lack). We saw Phil brought back the corpse of Noah for that role.

We're not going to emulate GS anyway, so just one scoring threat at SF will do for now.
ImageImageImage
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#113 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:I like Donte as a player. Nothing special but, plays with a purpose. Good depth player. Chemistry with JB/Hart is a plus. Problem is, we didn't need him. I have to believe they were bringing him in to replace IQ eventually for obvious reasons. Can IQ be extended then traded? That's what I think is the next potential move by the deadline. They need to consolidate and balance the roster. Where do they see IQ in that light? He's definitely one of our better value pieces in trades.

Brunson/IQ
Grimes/DVC
RJ/Hart
Randle
Mitch/iHart

IQ is the question mark now. They must have been confident Donte would provide whatever IQ brings them off the bench, otherwise there's no real point to the signing.

While I was not surprised no trades happened in the off-season, I would be surprised if none happen during the season.

IQ/Evan picks for who?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#114 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:27 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Brunson/IQ
Grimes/DVC
RJ/Hart
Randle
Mitch/iHart

IQ/Evan picks for who?

I don't know, but we have a team of dedicated trade proposalists on site here who should have the answer for you.

IMO, we should be going the Pat Riley route immediately and picking up a cheap talent to see if they can play until said trade occurs. I can't imagine there's not at least one 6'8" to 6'10" live body out there that went undrafted or is in the farm leagues that can stick an occasional jumper.

I suppose Roby was their version of that, but I dunno. Maybe Cap can explain that one.
ImageImageImage
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#115 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

IQ/Evan picks for who?

I don't know, but we have a team of dedicated trade proposalists on site here who should have the answer for you.

IMO, we should be going the Pat Riley route immediately and picking up a cheap talent to see if they can play until said trade occurs. I can't imagine there's not at least one 6'8" to 6'10" live body out there that went undrafted or is in the farm leagues that can stick an occasional jumper.

I suppose Roby was their version of that, but I dunno. Maybe Cap can explain that one.

I just want to see what we have right now. Did Grimes/IQ/RJ improve? Is there any benefit from the continuity/chemistry? That's what the season is about for now. Whatever trades happen, so be it. I do believe the idea of IQ (&Evan) being traded by the TDL is on the menu. It just makes the most sense. I think we have a decent team but, it's definitely in need of some balance to the roster.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,027

Post#116 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:13 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
IQ/Evan picks for who?

I just want to see what we have right now. Did Grimes/IQ/RJ improve? Is there any benefit from the continuity/chemistry? That's what the season is about for now. Whatever trades happen, so be it. I do believe the idea of IQ (&Evan) being traded by the TDL is on the menu. It just makes the most sense. I think we have a decent team but, it's definitely in need of some balance to the roster.

If the last two games are indicative of how the Knicks are doing at Chemistry, I'd say they are failing that class
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#117 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:21 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

If the last two games are indicative of how the Knicks are doing at Chemistry, I'd say they are failing that class

I didn't see the Boston game. Gonna watch the MIN game today. Not sure what version of you I'm responding to right now :lol: but, did they even play much together?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#118 » by j4remi » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:08 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

The clip you have of RJ finishing high off the glass reminded me that he made a major improvement on his finishes by going glass, something that took off for him later in the season. Now it's normal for him and it shows when he converts on a high degree of difficulty finish like that. That's not an easy make, but his skill using the glass has become very legit.

Also agree that iHart is someone to keep watching after. He can continue to improve our offensive flow with his decision making.

And Deuce will force his way into steady rotation minutes if he continues like this, hence my mock provocative thread title as I think the Donte signing was highly redundant with Deuce ready to produce.

Yeah, I generally thought RJ's finishing looked stronger at the end of last season. He was using momentum better and changing speeds well. It felt like his reads were sharper on whether to drive all the way, pull-up, or make a pass. I'm hoping that's something that sticks.

I really think I-Hart's been a pleasant surprise so far. I'm most curious about him firing away from three in space. I hoped that he'd be more aggressive from deep last season, but his shot never got to that level and he shied away from it. But he's taken a few three's this preseason from various spots around the arc.

I know there were stories that other teams wanted Deuce, but the Knicks rebuffed the calls. I hope that means they plan to find ways to use him. I just don't know what the path is until a trade package goes out for some "missing piece" to the puzzle.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#119 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:22 pm

j4remi wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

The clip you have of RJ finishing high off the glass reminded me that he made a major improvement on his finishes by going glass, something that took off for him later in the season. Now it's normal for him and it shows when he converts on a high degree of difficulty finish like that. That's not an easy make, but his skill using the glass has become very legit.

Also agree that iHart is someone to keep watching after. He can continue to improve our offensive flow with his decision making.

And Deuce will force his way into steady rotation minutes if he continues like this, hence my mock provocative thread title as I think the Donte signing was highly redundant with Deuce ready to produce.

Yeah, I generally thought RJ's finishing looked stronger at the end of last season. He was using momentum better and changing speeds well. It felt like his reads were sharper on whether to drive all the way, pull-up, or make a pass. I'm hoping that's something that sticks.

I really think I-Hart's been a pleasant surprise so far. I'm most curious about him firing away from three in space. I hoped that he'd be more aggressive from deep last season, but his shot never got to that level and he shied away from it. But he's taken a few three's this preseason from various spots around the arc.

I know there were stories that other teams wanted Deuce, but the Knicks rebuffed the calls. I hope that means they plan to find ways to use him. I just don't know what the path is until a trade package goes out for some "missing piece" to the puzzle.

I don't know about missing piece trades but, something has to happen. IQ seems to be the most logical trade. Not sure what that gets us but, Deuce won't play much with all of the guards in front of him.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#120 » by j4remi » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:47 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:I don't know about missing piece trades but, something has to happen. IQ seems to be the most logical trade. Not sure what that gets us but, Deuce won't play much with all of the guards in front of him.

I don't think there's a true "missing piece," but I also don't think they'll make trades at the margins. If they make a move it'll be an attempt to package a few guys for one big upgrade. Which is to say, I don't think they'd trade JUST IQ unless it became clear they can't re-sign him. But they could try to turn IQ and another young wing (probably RJ) into the parts of a package for some "star" to pair with Brunson.

I think IQ, RJ, and Fournier are their most expendable pieces right now. But they'd probably be open to parting with Grimes or Mitch for the right return (ie: Mitch out only for a perceived "star" big)
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks