ImageImageImageImageImage

WIRETAP: Balkman Has Been Offered For Artest

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#101 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:45 pm

Eli1005 wrote:This is all just BS anyway. No way Sacramento is asking for just Balkman. and if it's Lee and/or Nate that they want, I don't see why we wouldn't trade Nate. Nate scores a lot of points and hustles, but he's NEVER going to fit in here. Don't you see that the only times when he looks great is when we're down by 20+ points?? It's cause that's when he can play with reckless abandon and not be the pass-first guard that we need.

The only way we get artest is if Isiah can swing a deal involving either Q or Jeffries and without including Lee. We have way too many SF's as it is. It would be nice if we had Artest, with Balkman and/or Chandler right behind him, but no way we get rid of both Q and Jeff. Our bright young SF's will rot on the bench.

Great post.

-----------

But Nate is redundant for the Kings (Douby/Beno/Bibby (until he's dealt he's still on the team), Salmons/Garcia seeing time at the point as part of their roles), there's no real reason for the Kings to get Nate, and there's no actual quote from a Kings official that says they're interested or "wouldn't mind" having him. Wouldn't mind, as proposed in the OE, isn't an adjective of serious interest.

Nate just doesn't make sense for the Kings. Only would if Douby's going somewhere, except, that doesn't make sense either. As Douby was just drafted and why out of a sudden does Petrie and Theus give up on him when he's still playing limited minutes and developing in his 2nd year in the league behind a couple other players who are already established? No apparent reason.

lol at people proposing the Kings include their R1 pick with Artest.

MANSY wrote:Kings have no leverage, give them Balkman + Malik. They don't accept then screw 'em.

Just a garbage, unrealistic proposal. Irrelevant to what is already established in what's considered for a trade for Artest.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#102 » by StutterStep » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:05 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:Isiah should play hardball. Give up Lee only if the Kings include a pick and take Jared Jeffries or Q with them.

That's not hardball - that's chin-balls!

That type of move are not an Isiah staple until he did the Frye trade. The Kings have no shot at dumping Artest for real value and all they want is young players.

No BALKMAN. No Nate. No Lee.

Jeffries and Q's contracts are the least of our worries. IT could bench those guys and it wouldn't matter.

We only need to trade 3 contracts to be under the cap by 2009: Crawford, Curry and Zach.
midtown
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#103 » by midtown » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:19 pm

mjhp911 wrote:I think it's because Taz is now fair game for Zeke. I'm disappointed again. With the way Taz plays, an injury might not be far away. So keep Taz off the court, and he can still be included in trade scenarios. That said...

If Taz isn't being shopped, I'm even more disappointed that he hasn't earned any PT (I'm assuming Zeke is going off merit more these days, a BIG assumption, yes). So much so that I'd gladly trade him ahead of Lee now (not the case for me over the summer). Chandler might be the better keeper of two (yes, I was probably wrong on that one too over the summer).

Anyway, I really don't know how to feel about trading some of the kids for Artest. I'd rather not. I think we can get him easier this summer. It's disappointing the brass will sacrifice more young to salvage what's left of the season (there's that word again, disappointing). I can understand their predicament. But I also see more of the logic in possibly getting a higher lottery pick, if the team really does stink. Throwing good money after bad is this organization's specialty. It's disappointing.

How do you see us getting Artest this summer ? He wont take the MLE to come here.Why should he given how bad this organization is run. His daughter is not well and most likely he has huge medical bills for her. He is not getting any younger so I dont get how anyone can think we can get Ron this summer if he opts out.

Wire says Kings want Nate & Lee. I would do Nate ,Balk & filler in a deal for Artest in a NY sec. Artest finally gives us a sure thing defensively while also another scoring option. I think Isiah doesn't want to trade for him because he knows Ron will expose him as being one not afraid to speak his mind. Just my take and , to me , that is not a good reason not to make that trade.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,668

Post#104 » by djsunyc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:30 pm

i bet it wasn't balkman offered, i bet it was chandler, that's why he played yesterday.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#105 » by StutterStep » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:32 pm

BasicBall wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with that....He sells tickets....But I think most of us really overrate him.....I listen to the way they praise him on both the radio and television broadcasts and he can make the same mistake another player makes and NEVER gets blasted for a boneheaded play or mistake! It gets annoying to me!

I'd include him in a deal for Artest in a NY minute, but the fan base and the media would LYNCH Isiah (seriously) if that white boy got dealt! LOL

I agree with your analysis of the fans and media when it comes to David Lee but there is no need to trade David Lee or any of the young players.

If we were say 13 - 17 in the wins/losses then we could say Artest could put us over the top this year if we got rid of Q or Jeffries.

But we are 8 - 22 in the wins/losses, and that means our core Curry/Zach or Step/JC is not working. This is why we must continue to get young players. I mean we have already lost Ariza, Butler and Frye while adding Francis, JRose and Jeffries... that makes no sense.
maddbaron
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#106 » by maddbaron » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:33 pm

lee, malik rose, jones for artest, justin williams, 2nd round pick
midtown
Veteran

Post#107 » by midtown » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:43 pm

StutterStep wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's not hardball - that's chin-balls!

That type of move are not an Isiah staple until he did the Frye trade. The Kings have no shot at dumping Artest for real value and all they want is young players.

No BALKMAN. No Nate. No Lee.

Jeffries and Q's contracts are the least of our worries. IT could bench those guys and it wouldn't matter.

We only need to trade 3 contracts to be under the cap by 2009: Crawford, Curry and Zach.

You talk as if we have the upper hand..... WE DONT !!

Artest is better than any one of our guards forwards by miles.....

YOu are never going to get talent like him offering garbage plus Nate , Balkman & Jones is really not going to interfere with our core or youth movement. If anything , Artest MIGHT just get these bums to start playing D . They see him busting his ass on the defensive end...it might just be infectious.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#108 » by rammagen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:47 pm

bebop wrote:I'm a Kings fan and let me put this potential trade in perspective: we don't want your garbage, we won't give up our first round pick, and if you take Ron Ron, you take Ken Ken (Thomas) with you. Our priority is not so much trading Artest as getting rid of Kenny Thomas. Arest (or Bibby) is just a bait to entice another team to take KT. Keep that in mind.

Now, if there's a way to make this trade work, great. If not, no big deal. Artest is essentially an expiring contract and he's underpaid for what he brings to the floor. We'd rather keep him than trade him for say, any player on your team not named David Lee.

Now, some of you who want to wait til this summer and sign Artest via sign n trade; er, who do you think Petrie is going to ask for from the Knicks? Yep, you guess it - David Lee. No David Lee, no sign n trade. So basically what we want from the Knicks isn't going to change just because it's summer.

And if you know Petrie, you know he doesn't like to tank. He's still trying to win. So it wouldn't hurt Petrie one bit if we keep Artest and make that playoff push.

But from what I saw of the Knicks last nite, Artest isn't going to turn it around for you guys. Sure, two seasons ago Artest joined the underachieving Kings and lead them to the playoff; but that Kings team was a hard-working team that still wanted to win. The Knicks that I saw yesterday didn't even pretend to play hard. One person isn't going to fix that.

I do not believe Lee is going anywhere. If picks are invloved it will be because the Knicks are giving up more then 2 young players, a conditional may be thrown around depending on Kenny Thomas, but if we are taking a longer contract you have to bite the bullet for nate + Balk+ expiring contracts of Jones and rose. You want 10 million off the books then basically you have entice another team not with artest (a expiring himself with no garuntee he will stay). As far as Bibby we already have a 30 yr old pg and do not need another. I have no issue with Nate+balk+whomever with the extent that Lee is not going. Take Curry, but not lee.
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Post#109 » by duetta » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:04 am

What a stupid story. Artest is out until near the trade deadline. How many games under .500 do we expect the Knicks to be by then?

If anyone gets traded, it has to be among Randolph and Curry.

If Sacramento asks for Lee, I offer them back what Michael Corelone offered that Senator from Nevada...
Jemini80
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#110 » by Jemini80 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:12 am

balkman sucks, barely even a role player, he should have been traded last year.

our whole team sucks besides Lee and Randolph, and of course they play the same position, because that is what the Knicks do.

a team of role players can win the championship, as long as they are two way players at each position. That is what we should be doing, if we are going to overpay for average talent, atleast make it two way talent.
midtown
Veteran

Post#111 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:19 am

Some of us on this board are as delusional as Isiah ........
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,057

Post#112 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:23 am

midtown wrote:Some of us on this board are as delusional as Isiah ........

you'll eat your words when we win a championship after isiah is extended 4 more years!
midtown
Veteran

Post#113 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:24 am

knicksh20b wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you'll eat your words when we win a championship after isiah is extended 4 more years!

Thanks for proving my point NOW !!

:wavefinger:
AirPaden
Analyst

Post#114 » by AirPaden » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:25 am

[quote="duetta"]What a stupid story. Artest is out until near the trade deadline. How many games under .500 do we expect the Knicks to be by then?

At least 30 games out by then. :rofl:
If you think you can you can, Get It Done!
CrazyEyes
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#115 » by CrazyEyes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:41 am

I'd trade Lee for Artest. Lee is my favorite Knick but he's wasted here. He's a guy who would excel on a team like the Suns, Magic, Lakers, Golden State, etc, etc. NY is just the wrong team for him. No matter how many double-double Lee gets it doesn't change the fact we're a very bad team. Realistically we're not going to get much better anytime soon without taking some very risky moves or completely rebuilding from the ground up which is going to take 4-5 years. At that point we have to stop and wonder if Lee even wants to stay here when he's an FA. Why would he? Other teams are going to offer him good money and the chance to win something. So if he's probably going to be gone anyway we might as well get some value for him. Artest is risky but things can't get much worse.

+Artest +1st round draft choice this year -Marbury -Curry = improvement.
midtown
Veteran

Post#116 » by midtown » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:46 am

CrazyEyes wrote:I'd trade Lee for Artest. Lee is my favorite Knick but he's wasted here. He's a guy who would excel on a team like the Suns, Magic, Lakers, Golden State, etc, etc. NY is just the wrong team for him. No matter how many double-double Lee gets it doesn't change the fact we're a very bad team. Realistically we're not going to get much better anytime soon without taking some very risky moves or completely rebuilding from the ground up which is going to take 4-5 years. At that point we have to stop and wonder if Lee even wants to stay here when he's an FA. Why would he? Other teams are going to offer him good money and the chance to win something. So if he's probably going to be gone anyway we might as well get some value for him. Artest is risky but things can't get much worse.

+Artest +1st round draft choice this year -Marbury -Curry = improvement.

Finally someone with sense....

Plus, you cant say that the next GM wont be a decent one where a .500 team cannot be put together fast. Not title contender , just respectable team that plays with heart. Team like Miami might trade for Marbury next year as he's a great expiring....
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#117 » by some_rand » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:50 am

knicks742 wrote:Goodbye Artest.

Lee is as untradeable for the Knicks as it comes. Lee gets traded, Isiah gets shot.

I am not kidding.
to bad hes the only tradeable thing the knicks have
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#118 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:53 am

AirPaden wrote:
duetta wrote:What a stupid story. Artest is out until near the trade deadline. How many games under .500 do we expect the Knicks to be by then?

At least 30 games out by then. :rofl:

I don't know I say we figure out a way to be 70 games out byt he break.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#119 » by StutterStep » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:11 am

midtown wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You talk as if we have the upper hand..... WE DONT !!

Artest is better than any one of our guards forwards by miles.....

YOu are never going to get talent like him offering garbage plus Nate , Balkman & Jones is really not going to interfere with our core or youth movement. If anything , Artest MIGHT just get these bums to start playing D . They see him busting his ass on the defensive end...it might just be infectious.

We do have the upperhand in that we have an upcoming lotto pick plus a core of young players that are very tradable. Artest just had surgery and the only way the Kings get value for him is to S&T in the off-season to a team looking to pay him 10million plus.

Name that team...
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#120 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:35 am

Artest is useless to us. He won't make us a competitive team but he will push us from a top 3 pick to a later lotto pick. Im down to move Lee for the right deal but an aging star is absolutely not the right deal. Moving him for younger talent that won't have to ride the pine behind Randolph is the only deal I can see working.

Return to New York Knicks