ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,632

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 + Chimaev vs Usman 

Post#1081 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:17 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:
UFC knew exactly what they were doing with that crap. They even got a full shot of the whole thing going down. It was an embarrassing week to be a UFC fan. Colby mocked Leon's dead father; Dricus mocked Strickland's abuse as a child; The broadcast zoomed in on one fighter seizing on the mat after a KO; then the broadcast replayed a fight in the crowd between Sean and Dricus; and to top it off, you had Joe Rogan and DC going to embarrassing measures to trash a dominant performance from Leon Edwards.

All of this comes on the backdrop of legally released transcripts of Dana White, the Fertitas, and matchmakers e-mails where they actively talk about screwing fighters over and threatening managers to manipulate negotiations. I cannot wait for Dana White to retire.

Oh wow. I didn't know about that. That's fcked up.

You left out the Ian Garry stuff. But given all of the other crap, that's understandable. :lol:

Yeah, the e-mails are more or less a confirmation of what most fans from that era thought. But they're great as a way to hit back against Dana White's typical excuse-making: https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/12/10/emails-texts-show-ufc-nasty-negotiation/

On the Garry front, it's not much of a story. The kid got hospitalized with the flu and Pneumonia. The hush-hush stuff that had fans attacking his family again turned out to be them trying to poker-face how sick he was.

So nothing is going to happen over this? Why don't the fighters unionize or just to to the PFL?

On Garry, there was talk about him being there for one part of the event but not for the presser suggesting that he was okay to show up but not okay to take questions which would've delved into all of this other crap. I mean, it's just not Strickland who's dumped on Garry. Other fighters are dumping on him too and no one supports him. Except you! :lol:

Also, Strickland is fcking crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy is turning the UFC upside down.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,657

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 + Chimaev vs Usman 

Post#1082 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:02 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So nothing is going to happen over this? Why don't the fighters unionize or just to to the PFL?

On Garry, there was talk about him being there for one part of the event but not for the presser suggesting that he was okay to show up but not okay to take questions which would've delved into all of this other crap. I mean, it's just not Strickland who's dumped on Garry. Other fighters are dumping on him too and no one supports him. Except you! :lol:

Also, Strickland is fcking crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy is turning the UFC upside down.

There's union talks, but they've always flopped before. It seems like this litigation is the start.

The people dumping on Garry is fine. It's the trashing his wife, lying about his last name, and mocking him when he's in the hospital (and Chael Sonnen said his kid was too, that's Chael though) that bothers me. If dudes just focused on him having terrible gym etiquette and a big mouth, I'd be fine with that. Leave families out of it. The fact that even Chael Sonnen had to make a video telling people to relax when the kid was in the hospital is pretty telling.

Strickland's a bit of a tool himself. But he's entertaining, and that will help him last. I don't think his style will hold up very long as a champion, but Dricus is a good match-up. Jared Cannonier's probably licking his chops at a rematch with Strickland for gold.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1083 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:03 am

Bryce Mitchell shows his appreciation for Josh Emmett

“I want to let you all know that I am so happy with Josh Emmett,” Mitchell said in a video posted Monday to his Instagram page. “Right after he knocked me out, he could have followed up with hammerfists, and it probably would have killed me. He didn’t even follow up with anything.

“He was just happy with his knockout, and he walked away. And I’m so gracious for that, I will forever remember that. Thank you for not hitting me extra, Josh.”

Emmett’s response:

Reached for comment, Emmett said his experience guided him in not throwing any follow-up shots.

“I’d done this several times,” he told MMA Fighting. “I know they’re out. I saw Bryce go face down, I knew he was out. I had a little celebration, but I was not going to hit him because, it was unnecessary. I know a lot of fighters say you need to keep hitting them until the ref pulls you off, but I feel like when you hit them as hard as I do, there’s no need for it. That was already a brutal knockout, and Bryce is such a good guy, it’s tough when you have to do that do somebody.

“[Referee] Herb [Dean] was way behind me. I could have hit him with several big shots on the ground, but there’s no need. At the end of the day, I want everyone to go home as safe as possible to their loved ones.”
Free Palestine
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,053

Post#1084 » by Guano » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:02 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So nothing is going to happen over this? Why don't the fighters unionize or just to to the PFL?

There's union talks, but they've always flopped before. It seems like this litigation is the start.

The people dumping on Garry is fine. It's the trashing his wife, lying about his last name, and mocking him when he's in the hospital (and Chael Sonnen said his kid was too, that's Chael though) that bothers me. If dudes just focused on him having terrible gym etiquette and a big mouth, I'd be fine with that. Leave families out of it. The fact that even Chael Sonnen had to make a video telling people to relax when the kid was in the hospital is pretty telling.

Strickland's a bit of a tool himself. But he's entertaining, and that will help him last. I don't think his style will hold up very long as a champion, but Dricus is a good match-up. Jared Cannonier's probably licking his chops at a rematch with Strickland for gold.

Like you and others have said, this was an embarrassing week to be a mma fan. I'm all for trash talk until families are brought into. Especially, when it relates to childhood trauma.

What Driscus said was completely gross. Making light of Stricklands pops abusing him is foul. Idc if Srickland is a goon who has crossed the line himself. There are just things that are off limits.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1085 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Look at this dude's ankle!!! He shut Wonderboy down like this. Just watch back the Geoff Neal vs Wonderboy fight to see how good Thompson still is.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1086 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:03 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Bryce Mitchell shows his appreciation for Josh Emmett

“I want to let you all know that I am so happy with Josh Emmett,” Mitchell said in a video posted Monday to his Instagram page. “Right after he knocked me out, he could have followed up with hammerfists, and it probably would have killed me. He didn’t even follow up with anything.

“He was just happy with his knockout, and he walked away. And I’m so gracious for that, I will forever remember that. Thank you for not hitting me extra, Josh.”

Emmett’s response:

Reached for comment, Emmett said his experience guided him in not throwing any follow-up shots.

“I’d done this several times,” he told MMA Fighting. “I know they’re out. I saw Bryce go face down, I knew he was out. I had a little celebration, but I was not going to hit him because, it was unnecessary. I know a lot of fighters say you need to keep hitting them until the ref pulls you off, but I feel like when you hit them as hard as I do, there’s no need for it. That was already a brutal knockout, and Bryce is such a good guy, it’s tough when you have to do that do somebody.

“[Referee] Herb [Dean] was way behind me. I could have hit him with several big shots on the ground, but there’s no need. At the end of the day, I want everyone to go home as safe as possible to their loved ones.”

Class Act! Also, walk-off KO's look epic in replays, so it's a win-win. I get when fighters throw extra shots to make sure a fight is over, but sometimes they know the fight's done and just keep going.

I can't remember who it was, maybe Gaethje, but I remember at least one big-time fighter cursing at a ref for making him continue to strike a clearly beaten fighter for the TKO.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1087 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:10 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Bryce Mitchell shows his appreciation for Josh Emmett

Emmett’s response:

Class Act! Also, walk-off KO's look epic in replays, so it's a win-win. I get when fighters throw extra shots to make sure a fight is over, but sometimes they know the fight's done and just keep going.

I can't remember who it was, maybe Gaethje, but I remember at least one big-time fighter cursing at a ref for making him continue to strike a clearly beaten fighter for the TKO.

:nod: So much cooler that way. Didn't Emmett take a bow after it?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1088 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:

:nod: So much cooler that way. Didn't Emmett talk a bow after it?

He did something but they were too busy trying to capture Bryce seizing for us to see what it was. Josh has kinda mastered the walk-off. He’s catching up to Mark Hunt with his walk-off highlight reel.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1089 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:08 pm

Guano wrote:Like you and others have said, this was an embarrassing week to be a mma fan. I'm all for trash talk until families are brought into. Especially, when it relates to childhood trauma.

What Driscus said was completely gross. Making light of Stricklands pops abusing him is foul. Idc if Srickland is a goon who has crossed the line himself. There are just things that are off limits.

I've been pleasantly surprised at so many fighters coming out to trash Colby for his comments about Leon's father's murder.

I'm sorta surprised there's been less response to Dricus saying such out-of-pocket crap. It's weird that Du Plessis keeps sneaking by with sketchy comments. Him claiming he'd be the first African champion while three men with claims to African heritage (Usman and Izzy born in Nigeria; Ngannou born and raised in Cameroon until his 26th birthday) turned me against him before he had any hype.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Guano
RealGM

Post#1090 » by Guano » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:42 pm

j4remi wrote:
Guano wrote:Like you and others have said, this was an embarrassing week to be a mma fan. I'm all for trash talk until families are brought into. Especially, when it relates to childhood trauma.

I've been pleasantly surprised at so many fighters coming out to trash Colby for his comments about Leon's father's murder.

I'm sorta surprised there's been less response to Dricus saying such out-of-pocket crap. It's weird that Du Plessis keeps sneaking by with sketchy comments. Him claiming he'd be the first African champion while three men with claims to African heritage (Usman and Izzy born in Nigeria; Ngannou born and raised in Cameroon until his 26th birthday) turned me against him before he had any hype.

All of that coupled with him KO'ing Bobby knuckles makes me not like him

Though I do have a lil sympathy. The ufc has created a real toxic environment where shock and drama garner more opportunities than actual ring performance.
Guano
RealGM

Post#1091 » by Guano » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:47 pm

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Look at this dude's ankle!!! He shut Wonderboy down like this. Just watch back the Geoff Neal vs Wonderboy fight to see how good Thompson still is.

That divison is going to see a reign of terror.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1092 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 pm

Guano wrote:
j4remi wrote:

All of that coupled with him KO'ing Bobby knuckles makes me not like him

Though I do have a lil sympathy. The ufc has created a real toxic environment where shock and drama garner more opportunities than actual ring performance.

We can thank Conor and Dana for that.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1093 » by j4remi » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:All of that coupled with him KO'ing Bobby knuckles makes me not like him

You guys are right, there's value to toxicity for these guys. Idk when exactly it flipped to the drama mattering as much or more than the talent though. It used to be fun to root against guys like Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1094 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:07 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:All of that coupled with him KO'ing Bobby knuckles makes me not like him

You guys are right, there's value to toxicity for these guys. Idk when exactly it flipped to the drama mattering as much or more than the talent though. It used to be fun to root against guys like Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen.

Didn’t Max Baer tell The Cinderella Man that after he killed him in the ring that he’s take care of his wife? I guess this kind of stuff has been around for awhile. Everything is out of whack and on steroids.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1095 » by j4remi » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter

This wasn’t THAT long ago.

Read on Twitter
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1096 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:58 am

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

This wasn’t THAT long ago.

Read on Twitter

Not only are there no repercussions, Dana actually manipulates the situations so that a public confrontation and fist fight ensues (i.e. Strickland and DuPlessis). He causes it to happen. If I was Strickland, I'd feel a little used.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1097 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:32 am

Yo, Rem, the entire UFC is dumping on your boy Ian Garry now. Even the women fighters! :lol:

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1098 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yo, Rem, the entire UFC is dumping on your boy Ian Garry now. Even the women fighters! :lol:

:lol: Don’t trust AI content for your mma news wingo. 90% of those comments are from prior to dana white calling pneumonia the culprit. And it conveniently left out the biggest troll in the game was the one to break that it was a serious illness

and Chael followed that up by saying the WAGS thing is a dead story.

Plus, Ian's already got his next opponent and it's a GREAT fight. Ian vs Geoff Neal is awesome. "I think Garry's in a pretty good spot" - Chael. Chael pointing out Garry's bad PR is good. The kid's really talented, with bad PR.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1099 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:11 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yo, Rem, the entire UFC is dumping on your boy Ian Garry now. Even the women fighters! :lol:

:lol: Don’t trust AI content for your mma news wingo. 90% of those comments are from prior to dana white calling pneumonia the culprit. And it conveniently left out the biggest troll in the game was the one to break that it was a serious illness

and Chael followed that up by saying the WAGS thing is a dead story.

Plus, Ian's already got his next opponent and it's a GREAT fight. Ian vs Geoff Neal is awesome. "I think Garry's in a pretty good spot" - Chael. Chael pointing out Garry's bad PR is good. The kid's really talented, with bad PR.

WTF? AI? How’d you know that?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1100 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:03 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:WTF? AI? How’d you know that?

It's a new wave in Youtube content creation. The most obvious thing is the voice, because a LOT of creators will use a AI reader instead of paying someone to add personality to it. That's why so many videos have that same voice over it.

But it's gradually gotten to a point where...content aggregators used to pay a writer to write a script, and an editor to edit videos. Plus they'd pay a thumbnails guy to create the thumbnails. But now...you can catch a lot of these channels, using AI generated scripts and thumbnails on top of the voice. The video editor is the only one left to pay. It's cheap, it creates a ton of content fast, and it's easy money if you purchase a Youtube channel that's already been monetized.

There are full courses online that advise on how to use that strategy and optimize it. It costs some money to get started, but it works. The content is just really shoddy. Even with paid script-writers, the rush to pump out enough content to automate everything drags the quality down.

The more I've delved into Youtube content creation, the more depressing the realities are. You can make a successful channel with real quality content, but the shortcuts are way easier and A LOT more prevalent.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks