ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,063

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#121 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:10 pm

DOT wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Alright, let's go full into sci-fi. I just finished Mass Effect Legendary for the first time and that game was amazing.

Ending is still a bit of a letdown

But everything leading up to it is great

I had only played ME1 before the Legendary edition came out last year, so I got it on a whim, and now it's one of my favorite series.

Yep. The ending felt too abrupt imo, but everything leading up to that? Amazing. Also, I think they have the best DLC of all time. Definitely gonna be watching that Mass Effect show when Amazon releases it. They better not eff it up.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,119

Post#122 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 pm

Vinland Saga Season 2 begins January 9th

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,000

Post#123 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Vinland Saga Season 2 begins January 9th

are we excited for this? it seemed like they wrapped it up nicely at the end of season one. where do they take it from here.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#124 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Guano wrote:
DOT wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:My brother got me into the Clone Wars series and now watching the Bad Batch series. I always liked Star Wars but...this shyt Dave Filoni is doing really opens up the entire universe and gives a lot of detailed back story on everything. It makes the movies so much better. It also makes me mad that they didn't get to do the last three movies because...those were pretty lame in comparison. He turned me into a Star Wars nerd now!

The Clone Wars is the 2nd best piece of Star Wars media to come out in the last 40 years

Kotor 2 being the best.

Kotor 2 was sooo good. Until the end - fighting a light Saber - not a lightsaber fight, literally just a floating lightsaber - was so damn disappointing to an otherwise flawless game.

Never even heard of it before now. Thanks for telling me the ending. :lol:

Fallen Order is an awesome game. Never got to finish it though. Now there is a sequel to it. This is part of the actual timeline. What I just read about KOTOR, it is not canon.
:beer: RIP mags
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,000

Post#125 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:38 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Guano wrote:
DOT wrote:The Clone Wars is the 2nd best piece of Star Wars media to come out in the last 40 years

Kotor 2 being the best.

Kotor 2 was sooo good. Until the end - fighting a light Saber - not a lightsaber fight, literally just a floating lightsaber - was so damn disappointing to an otherwise flawless game.

Fallen Order is an awesome game. Never got to finish it though. Now there is a sequel to it. This is part of the actual timeline. What I just read about KOTOR, it is not canon.

don't let the lightsaber final battle deter you from playing the best star wars game (sorry star wars: bounty hunter)
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#126 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 pm

Guano wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Guano wrote:

don't let the lightsaber final battle deter you from playing the best star wars game (sorry star wars: bounty hunter)

My last console is the 360 and it is shot now. I packed it away over a year ago and doubt it still works. I'm not into dropping $600 on a new system but, the Fallen order game was so good I may have to. The Assassin's Creed games are awesome too. Also love the Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2 was great the little I played. Tom Clancy Ghost Recon is another great game. I played them with my nephew over the last year. I need to upgrade eventually.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,730

Post#127 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:57 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:What I just read about KOTOR, it is not canon.

It's in canon limbo

Revan is kind of canonized in RoS, but not overtly so, plus how much exactly is canon is still unclear

But regardless of canonicity, it still has the most to say about the philosophical aspects of Star Wars than any of the movies or TV shows.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#128 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:00 am

Guano wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Vinland Saga Season 2 begins January 9th

are we excited for this? it seemed like they wrapped it up nicely at the end of season one. where do they take it from here.

As i said before, this season will be very different from Season 1. This is where Thorfinn's journey as a man truly begins.

I'm excited because I'm a sucker for character development.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#129 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:02 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Guano wrote:
DOT wrote:The Clone Wars is the 2nd best piece of Star Wars media to come out in the last 40 years

Kotor 2 being the best.

I downloaded Fallen Order off of PS Plus. I need to finish it before part 2 comes out

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#130 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:19 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Guano wrote:

I downloaded Fallen Order off of PS Plus. I need to finish it before part 2 comes out

I never got to finish! I only play when go up to RI and visit. I got through a bunch. Then had to start over several months later because I forgot how to play and what I was doing. :lol: What an awesome game and part of the whole story.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#131 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:06 am

Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War Episode 11 is out

I waited a long time to watch this.

Spoiler:
This is the backstory revealing that Ichigo's mother was a Quincy

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by DOT » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 pm

Finished Naruto

I can say with confidence that it's pretty okay. I definitely will get around to finishing the anime at some point to see some of the fights animated, but I'm not dying to do so, and I probably won't be going on to Boruto

I hate to keep comparing it to One Piece, but there really is no comparison. It's still tbd at this point who the final boss will be, but there's at least 3 solid choices, all of whom are personally connected to Luffy and have been for a while. Even Im, who Luffy's never met, at least has been introduced as a character that exists 200 chapters ago, and we got a taste of their power quite recently with the Lulusia Kingdom incident. We, the audience, are at least aware of them. Kaguya coming out of nowhere with 20 chapters to go after only being referred to in myths and legends to be the final twist villain feels like the author wanting to stretch the story out a bit more and make the final fight more epic by having them kill God or whatever

Honestly, Sasuke should've been the final boss. I know him and Naruto have it out at the end, but that feels more like an "oh, I need them to fight because this is a shonen, and I didn't resolve their conflict before this" type of move. It's just not integrated into the story well, and I think that's what's missing at the end, the fact that while the story is about Naruto, none of the final bosses are really his foils. Tobi kind of is, but he's Kakashi's villain. Madara is more of a foil for Sasuke. And Kaguya is a non-character. It lacks the emotional aspect, and when we're at the point where the characters are so strong it's hard to tell what's actually going on in the physical confrontation, not having that emotional backing kind of drains the fight of any excitement for me

Also, one other thing that I feel One Piece does really well that Naruto fails at is giving the rest of the crew something to do while Luffy fights the big bad. Like, even Usopp and Nami get moments to shine in the Onigashima raid, and it's not like Hinata showing up for a panel to do the whole power of friendship thing only to get one-shot by Pain the next page. Even going back to Arlong Park, Zoro, Sanji, and even Usopp have mini-boss fights. It can drag the pacing at times, but there's always gonna be something for everyone's favorite character, and you just don't get that with Naruto. That's why I like the Sasuke retrieval arc 2nd best, because it does do that exact thing, it pairs off the characters into individual fights so you can see them all shine. The Ninja War arc does this a bit, but not to the level One Piece gets in each arc.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,654

Post#133 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:14 pm

DOT wrote:

It's in canon limbo

Revan is kind of canonized in RoS, but not overtly so, plus how much exactly is canon is still unclear

But regardless of canonicity, it still has the most to say about the philosophical aspects of Star Wars than any of the movies or TV shows.

I'll never forgive the gaming industry for getting me excited for an MMO KOTOR and then never following through.

The list of games I got excited for and wound up never dropping (Halo Ghost) or completely missing their promises (anyone old enough to remember what they told us about the first Fable?) is extensive...The era of E3 showing cut scenes and telling us it was gameplay is one that I miss oddly enough :lol:
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,654

Post#134 » by j4remi » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Image

Spoiler:

I watch Bleach and CSM after work every Tuesday (with one friend that I used to watch Adult Swim with way back when and we still keep the ritual sorta alive). I'm looking forward to this one! Hopefully CSM introduces the new special division additions which has some of my favorite side characters too.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#135 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:49 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:

It's in canon limbo

I'll never forgive the gaming industry for getting me excited for an MMO KOTOR and then never following through.

The list of games I got excited for and wound up never dropping (Halo Ghost) or completely missing their promises (anyone old enough to remember what they told us about the first Fable?) is extensive...The era of E3 showing cut scenes and telling us it was gameplay is one that I miss oddly enough :lol:

Yeah...I don't care about canon anyway. The expanded universe is awesome.

Fable was awesome to me. I loved those games. My late wife used to make me play them so she could watch the story happen. I played them all male and female good and bad. :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#136 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:37 pm

DOT wrote:Finished Naruto

I can say with confidence that it's pretty okay. I definitely will get around to finishing the anime at some point to see some of the fights animated, but I'm not dying to do so, and I probably won't be going on to Boruto

I hate to keep comparing it to One Piece, but there really is no comparison. It's still tbd at this point who the final boss will be, but there's at least 3 solid choices, all of whom are personally connected to Luffy and have been for a while. Even Im, who Luffy's never met, at least has been introduced as a character that exists 200 chapters ago, and we got a taste of their power quite recently with the Lulusia Kingdom incident. We, the audience, are at least aware of them. Kaguya coming out of nowhere with 20 chapters to go after only being referred to in myths and legends to be the final twist villain feels like the author wanting to stretch the story out a bit more and make the final fight more epic by having them kill God or whatever

Honestly, Sasuke should've been the final boss. I know him and Naruto have it out at the end, but that feels more like an "oh, I need them to fight because this is a shonen, and I didn't resolve their conflict before this" type of move. It's just not integrated into the story well, and I think that's what's missing at the end, the fact that while the story is about Naruto, none of the final bosses are really his foils. Tobi kind of is, but he's Kakashi's villain. Madara is more of a foil for Sasuke. And Kaguya is a non-character. It lacks the emotional aspect, and when we're at the point where the characters are so strong it's hard to tell what's actually going on in the physical confrontation, not having that emotional backing kind of drains the fight of any excitement for me

Also, one other thing that I feel One Piece does really well that Naruto fails at is giving the rest of the crew something to do while Luffy fights the big bad. Like, even Usopp and Nami get moments to shine in the Onigashima raid, and it's not like Hinata showing up for a panel to do the whole power of friendship thing only to get one-shot by Pain the next page. Even going back to Arlong Park, Zoro, Sanji, and even Usopp have mini-boss fights. It can drag the pacing at times, but there's always gonna be something for everyone's favorite character, and you just don't get that with Naruto. That's why I like the Sasuke retrieval arc 2nd best, because it does do that exact thing, it pairs off the characters into individual fights so you can see them all shine. The Ninja War arc does this a bit, but not to the level One Piece gets in each arc.

Your criticism pretty much falls in the same space as mine about the final arc of Naruto. After -everything- that happened, it felt like the final battle between Naruto and Sasuke was forced, and Kaguya was a complete ass pull of a character that lacked depth and had zero build up.

Now, my theory on why this happened? It was decided well before Naruto would end by the publisher that the author would put in various seeds in towards the end, mainly Kaguya and The Ōtsutsuki so that the story would have a way to continue in Boruto without his week to week involvement.

That has since changed and the author is now writing the story again, but I feel like Naruto's ending suffered from pure capitalism because Shueisha and TV Tokyo make millions a year off of the franchise and ending it would be leaving millions, if not billions in revenue off of the table. So essentially, Naruto was turned into a zombie franchise that focuses around his son, and the results have been hit or miss. If you choose not to continue the story, I don't blame you.

IMO, Naruto was at its strongest point during The Pain Arc/Invasion of Konoha.

That was an epic storyline from start to finish where Naruto not only came face to face with his mirror image (Pain), but was forced literally to sit down and question his own ideals and how they fit in the world around him. It also felt like the moment where the series really became Naruto, and he had finally become the hero that he boasted that he would be from the first chapter.

When he transported into the village after Pain nuked it with the red jacket and scroll...very few moments in shounen manga top the feeling that I got reading that so many years ago.

After that arc ended, it was a gradual decline in story quality as I feel like there was a lot of editorial crap going on behind the scenes.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#137 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:40 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Image

Spoiler:

I watch Bleach and CSM after work every Tuesday (with one friend that I used to watch Adult Swim with way back when and we still keep the ritual sorta alive). I'm looking forward to this one! Hopefully CSM introduces the new special division additions which has some of my favorite side characters too.

Chainsaw Man Tuesdays are a thing right now because the anime and manga release on the same day :lol: i feel spoiled.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by DOT » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:40 pm

So I'm up to the 3rd Doctor

It really is frustrating how much of the 1st and 2nd's stories are just gone. Like, it can be a bit jarring when companions are completely different in two consecutive episodes, cause the ones they left/were introduced in aren't there

I'm gonna do a sort of tier list for every companion, I think. So far:

Ian/Barbara: D tier. They're kind of just basic, I like them well enough, but Ian is the only one who does anything, and both their specialties (science for Ian, history for Barbara) really only matter in the first few stories. Maybe they're useful in the missing stories, but I can only grade on what I see

Susan: F tier. She just sucks, all she does is scream at everything. Her only positive value is in the fact that her being the Doctor's granddaughter is intriguing from a lore perspective, but that's only interesting in retrospect

Vicki: C tier. She's like a more competent Susan. Nothing really stands out to me, but I would trust her to survive alone in a room for 30 minutes, unlike Susan

Steven: C tier. Basically the same but with Ian, more competent, better written, but still nothing amazing

Dodo: Incomplete tier. I think she's only in like 2 actual plots, and she gets done dirty in the last one, with her leaving being off-screened. I can't really say one way or the other with her

Polly/Ben: Incomplete tier. The only surviving story with them is their introduction, and it seems like they have potential, but unfortunately their content is just missing

Jamie: S tier. There's a reason why he's the longest-running companion, he's just really likeable. Bit of a doofus, but it works for his character. I was legitimately sad to see him leave, doubly so as he got his memory wiped

Victoria: C tier. Same mold as Susan and Vicki, but I'll grant her that she does stand up for herself a couple times. I'd give her the edge over Vicki, but not by a ton

Zoe: A tier. It's refreshing to see a companion be able to match wits with the Doctor for the most part and not be completely lost. Her, the Doctor, and Jamie make a really great trio with good balance

I think I'm finally at the point where the show's gotten its footing. The Jamie/Zoe season has been by far my favorite so far, with the War Games being an all-time classic, and I can see why. The 3rd is off to a strong start, I didn't put the Brigadier in with the 2nd as he's more of a 3rd's companion, but from what I've seen, him and Liz might be the best companion duo yet.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by DOT » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:After that arc ended, it was a gradual decline in story quality as I feel like there was a lot of editorial crap going on behind the scenes.

I will say though, I did like Naruto becoming friends with Kurama finally

It took the right amount of build up, and was excellent payoff

Lots of other things where there's a few good payoffs in the final arc, but a lot of mediocrity.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,063

Post#140 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:Finished Naruto

Your criticism pretty much falls in the same space as mine about the final arc of Naruto. After -everything- that happened, it felt like the final battle between Naruto and Sasuke was forced, and Kaguya was a complete ass pull of a character that lacked depth and had zero build up.

Now, my theory on why this happened? It was decided well before Naruto would end by the publisher that the author would put in various seeds in towards the end, mainly Kaguya and The Ōtsutsuki so that the story would have a way to continue in Boruto without his week to week involvement.

That has since changed and the author is now writing the story again, but I feel like Naruto's ending suffered from pure capitalism because Shueisha and TV Tokyo make millions a year off of the franchise and ending it would be leaving millions, if not billions in revenue off of the table. So essentially, Naruto was turned into a zombie franchise that focuses around his son, and the results have been hit or miss. If you choose not to continue the story, I don't blame you.

IMO, Naruto was at its strongest point during The Pain Arc/Invasion of Konoha.

That was an epic storyline from start to finish where Naruto not only came face to face with his mirror image (Pain), but was forced literally to sit down and question his own ideals and how they fit in the world around him. It also felt like the moment where the series really became Naruto, and he had finally become the hero that he boasted that he would be from the first chapter.

When he transported into the village after Pain nuked it with the red jacket and scroll...very few moments in shounen manga top the feeling that I got reading that so many years ago.

After that arc ended, it was a gradual decline in story quality as I feel like there was a lot of editorial crap going on behind the scenes.

I think it started going downhill for me when they killed a bunch of characters in a very emotional moment and then brought them back. I hate that stuff. The only franchise allowed to do that is DBZ.

Return to New York Knicks