ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Obama wins the Iowa Caucus

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Which democrat will win the Iowa Caucus?

Barrack Obama
68%
Hillary Clinton
13%
John Edwards
15%
Joe Biden
2%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 60

IbreakNeckZ101
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#121 » by IbreakNeckZ101 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:41 am

Very powerful speech by Obama. I really believe all the momentum will shift to Obama and it's really going to be hard to stop.

Obama 08'
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Post#122 » by duetta » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:50 am

The thing Democrats have to worry about is that an Obama or Edwards win likely brings Bloomberg into the race, whereas Hillary probably has positioned herself near enough to the political center to keep him out.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#123 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:21 am

Obama didnt do too well in the debates when hes being called out but by himself he is an awesome speaker. He and Huckabee have a way with words and because of this he will always be in the race as he will sway alot of undecided voters.
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#124 » by XcalibuR » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:32 am

That was an amazing speech especially towards the end.
riyaz_guerra
Senior
And1: 0

Post#125 » by riyaz_guerra » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:46 pm

duetta wrote:The thing Democrats have to worry about is that an Obama or Edwards win likely brings Bloomberg into the race, whereas Hillary probably has positioned herself near enough to the political center to keep him out.

I don't know if that is his intent. I don't remember when offhand, but when pressed to run he has responded that he "didn't want to be a spoiler" in the presidential election...ie a Nader.

The guy was a democrat his whole life, and switched parties only to run. He has since became Independent.

Based on his statements, I felt that he didn't want to run if he felt that he didn't have a legit chance and that it would harm a Democrat vs a Republican (a repeat of Nader/Gore/Bush). BUT if the nominated Democrat was weak and not popular enough to win in a general election, THAT is the situation in which he would strongly consider running.

If he sees an Obama running away with the primaries and polls continue to show Obama beating any Republican opponent, then he would be less likely to enter the race.
"When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative." - Martin Luther King Jr.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#126 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:07 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:Obama didnt do too well in the debates when hes being called out but by himself he is an awesome speaker. He and Huckabee have a way with words and because of this he will always be in the race as he will sway alot of undecided voters.

Huckabee's base is almost primarily the evangalical right. Which are very prominent in Iowa. On the flip side, they aren't very prominent in New Hampshire. I wouldn't expect him to come even close to winning New Hampshire.
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,336

Post#127 » by CDAZ » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:38 pm

Jemini80 wrote:NH debate is a **** joke, as much as i laugh at Paul's points because they are untrue and unrealistic and he is taking advantage of young inexperienced minds, he deserves a seat at the debate. Without him there, McCain will dominate this debate while Romney and Thompson will try to smear as many people as possible.

Guilliani will be funny as usual, Huckabee will reference God atleast 5 times and he is the devil.

if McCain wins NH this will become a great race between him and Rudy. I still cannot believe McCain lost to Bush in 2000 all because he wasn't a super jesus lover. As much as I am a Republican, it is disgusting how much power stupid religious people have on this party.

Oh btw Huckabee has set himself up to be the perfect VP choice for Rudy or McCain, he has the God aspect they both need and will bring in the evangelical (sp).

I urge everyone to ignore EVERYTHING they have heard through TV reporters and other corrupt people and listen to the actual candidates.

Edwards, McCain, Rudy, and Biden(but he's gone) all get a bad rap from people because the people who control the news all want Hilary, Romney, or Obama to become president because they are the most corrupt and take the most handouts from people in high places.

Rudy gets a bad rap? Did you just move to NYC? Are you one of those people who judges him in a post 911 world? I think you need to stop listening to everything you hear
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#128 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:43 pm

It is McCain vs Obama in NH. They both need the independents to win in NH. Who can convince the independents to vote in their respective party's primaries?

I also laughed at Edwards placing him as Obama's VP last night.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:48 pm

Oh and another thing. I heard everyone making a big deal about Obama winning in a very anglosaxon state. However, the history of this state compared to the history of the South is very different so let's not kid ourselves as if he won down South. Just saying.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#130 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:48 pm

knicks742 wrote:It is McCain vs Obama in NH. They both need the independents to win in NH. Who can convince the independents to vote in their respective party's primaries?

I also laughed at Edwards placing him as Obama's VP last night.

Let's not declare Romney dead yet in New Hampshire. Other than Massuchusetts, he probably has his biggest support in NH. And if Hillary squeaks out a first place finish, she's right back in this thing.

I think both Obama and McCain can bring out the independents. They ultimately could decide the primary on Thursday. As an Obama supporter, I hope the record supporti in Iowa continues in New Hampshire. Obama can't win the battle with the typical voting demographic. He needs to bring in independents and young people to have a chance.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:50 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Let's not declare Romney dead yet in New Hampshire. Other than Massuchusetts, he probably has his biggest support in NH. And if Hillary squeaks out a first place finish, she's right back in this thing.

I think both Obama and McCain can bring out the independents. They ultimately could decide the primary on Thursday. As an Obama supporter, I hope the record supporti in Iowa continues in New Hampshire. Obama can't win the battle with the typical voting demographic. He needs to bring in independents and young people to have a chance.

Oh I didnt declare neither Romney or Clinton dead. My point is actually that for McCain or Obama to win, they have to fight for the independents otherwise, Romney and Clinton will prevail. This thing is far from over my friend, we just got started.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#132 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:56 pm

knicks742 wrote:Oh and another thing. I heard everyone making a big deal about Obama winning in a very anglosaxon state. However, the history of this state compared to the history of the South is very different so let's not kid ourselves as if he won down South. Just saying.

Somebody brought up a good point on FoxNews yesterday. Historically, New Hampshire voters don't want to be like Iowa voters. It's as if they will go out of their way to vote for the opposite of what Iowa voted for.

That being said, if Obama wins New Hampshire, even by the smallest of margins, I don't see any way he loses South Carolina. And if that happens Clinton will have to dig herself out of a huge hole and I don't her dominating Florida and the Super Tuesday states will be a given as her poll numbers would say. Obama will carry the momentum. As you said, momentum is a dangerous thing. Hillary needs to make sure she doesn't get Obama's boulder started. Because she could be crushed by it soon enough. New Hampshire is a pivotal state. You really hate to say that this early in the election, but Clinton needs to do whatever she can to make sure Obama doesn't win NH or her campaign will be in dire straits.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#133 » by BasicBall » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:20 pm

If Barack can win NH he will be tough to slow down.....Now things can get tricky down south, but he will damn sure win SC (huge black vote) if he wins NH.....Look at it this way, if you are a black supporter of Hillary or Edwards and suddenly Barack looks like he can actually get the nomination, how do you go to people (blacks) on the fence about Edwards/Hillary and tell them, "We have to stop Barack Obama?"

Black voters were waiting to see if dude would win in Iowa, now that he has, he actually has a legit chance of pulling this thing off.....He sounded presidential last night in that speech!

Looking ahead, IF Obama gets the nomination who does he select as a running mate? Does he go with Edwards, Hillary OR Mike Bloomberg??
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:25 pm

[quote="BasicBall"]If Barack can win NH he will be tough to slow down.....Now things can get tricky down south, but he will damn sure win SC (huge black vote) if he wins NH.....Look at it this way, if you are a black supporter of Hillary or Edwards and suddenly Barack looks like he can actually get the nomination, how do you go to people (blacks) on the fence about Edwards/Hillary and tell them, "We have to stop Barack Obama?"

Black voters were waiting to see if dude would win in Iowa, now that he has, he actually has a legit chance of pulling this thing off.....He sounded presidential last night in that speech!

Looking ahead, IF Obama gets the nomination who does he select as a running mate? Does he go with Edwards, Hillary OR Mike Bloomberg??[/quote]

Calm down bro, he has to win NH first. Remember, desperate times for the Clintons, I would not be so confident if I was Obama.
BasicBall
RealGM

Post#135 » by BasicBall » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:36 pm

knicks742 wrote:
BasicBall wrote:If Barack can win NH he will be tough to slow down.....Now things can get tricky down south, but he will damn sure win SC (huge black vote) if he wins NH.....Look at it this way, if you are a black supporter of Hillary or Edwards and suddenly Barack looks like he can actually get the nomination, how do you go to people (blacks) on the fence about Edwards/Hillary and tell them, "We have to stop Barack Obama?"

Looking ahead, IF Obama gets the nomination who does he select as a running mate? Does he go with Edwards, Hillary OR Mike Bloomberg??[/quote]

Calm down bro, he has to win NH first. Remember, desperate times for the Clintons, I would not be so confident if I was Obama.

I aint confident at all......But IF he does win NH.....The Clintons and the Democratic Party were a bit arrogant in their dismissal of Barack early on...Fact of the matter is, the whole "wait his turn" comment sort of backfired!

Bill has that street-cred so to speak, Hillary is not BILL!
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,336

Post#136 » by CDAZ » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:45 pm

This is real talk. Friend of mine just e-mailed it to me. This goes to some of the posters saying that america is ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYBbN29X4g
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:48 pm

BasicBall wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I aint confident at all......But IF he does win NH.....The Clintons and the Democratic Party were a bit arrogant in their dismissal of Barack early on...Fact of the matter is, the whole "wait his turn" comment sort of backfired!

Bill has that street-cred so to speak, Hillary is not BILL!

They are campaigning NH together now. I agree Hillary is not Bill. That wont stop her using him to win. The debate sunday will be interesting. Lets see how Obama handles being the favorite.
BasicBall
RealGM

Post#138 » by BasicBall » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:51 pm

CDAZ wrote:This is real talk. Friend of mine just e-mailed it to me. This goes to some of the posters saying that america is ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYBbN29X4g

Could not have said it better myself!

Real Talk!
BasicBall
RealGM

Post#139 » by BasicBall » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:52 pm

knicks742 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They are campaigning NH together now. I agree Hillary is not Bill. That wont stop her using him to win. The debate sunday will be interesting. Lets see how Obama handles being the favorite.

The debate is Saturday night, but I agree, its a marathon, not a sprint!
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by knicks742 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:54 pm

BasicBall wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The debate is Saturday night, but I agree, its a marathon, not a sprint!

What???? What time? They are not going to stop me from getting my drink on will they?

Return to New York Knicks