ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Re: 2023 New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1281 » by knicks94 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Gleyber is going to be bouncing around the league in the next few years like Gary Sanchez and Aaron Hicks? I will fall off my chair if a team offers him a contract that'll last longer than 2 seasons.
Davis18
Pro Prospect
And1: 770

Post#1282 » by Davis18 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:22 pm

knicks94 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Gleyber is going to be bouncing around the league in the next few years like Gary Sanchez and Aaron Hicks? I will fall off my chair if a team offers him a contract that'll last longer than 2 seasons.

You never know.
Cashman is all about satisfying his ego.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,964

Post#1283 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 10, 2024 2:53 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Well, Stroman got his ass kicked just now

Kept his walks under control for the most part, but kept finding himself in trouble as the Astros attacked him with 9 hits. Not a good start, but still left the bullpen and lineup in a position to win and the lineup certainly had its chances going 0-7 with RISP.

I'm not even mad at Stroman, he's been pretty solid otherwise. Sh*t happens :-?

We won the series so that's what matters. Today we start a set with Tampa. I haven't paid any attention to them so i dunno how good the guy going up against Schmidt today is.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1284 » by knicks94 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Well, Stroman got his ass kicked just now

Kept his walks under control for the most part, but kept finding himself in trouble as the Astros attacked him with 9 hits. Not a good start, but still left the bullpen and lineup in a position to win and the lineup certainly had its chances going 0-7 with RISP.

We won the series so that's what matters. Today we start a set with Tampa. I haven't paid any attention to them so i dunno how good the guy going up against Schmidt today is.

You're talking about the same Schmidt that looks like he just finished running the NYC Marathon after his 5th inning of work?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1285 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 10, 2024 5:18 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

You're talking about the same Schmidt that looks like he just finished running the NYC Marathon after his 5th inning of work?

No doubt about it!

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1286 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 10, 2024 5:19 pm

Davis18 wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Gleyber is going to be bouncing around the league in the next few years like Gary Sanchez and Aaron Hicks? I will fall off my chair if a team offers him a contract that'll last longer than 2 seasons.

You never know.
Cashman is all about satisfying his ego.

The same Cashman whose daughter now has a nice cushy TV gig with YES?

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,956

Post#1287 » by Rich Rane » Sat May 11, 2024 3:01 am

Great stuff from pitching tonight starting with Schmidt. Spread out the 5 hits and 2 walks and didn't allow a run in 6 and two-thirds. 8th straight appearance from Weaver without allowing a run in 13 and two-thirds innings on this ongoing stretch. Holmes showed some rust over the long rest, but managed to strike out the side for the save (although admittedly was helped by the ump on that second strikeout).
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1288 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 11, 2024 1:30 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Great stuff from pitching tonight starting with Schmidt. Spread out the 5 hits and 2 walks and didn't allow a run in 6 and two-thirds. 8th straight appearance and from Weaver without allowing a run in 13 and two-thirds innings on this ongoing stretch. Holmes showed some rust over the long rest, but managed to strike out the side for the save (although admittedly was helped by the ump on that second strikeout).

I feel no sympathy on that 2nd strike out. Judge has been the victim of horrific strike calls all season. :nod:

Strong pitching, and Rizzo carried yesterday. Let's see what happens this afternoon

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1289 » by knicks94 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Great stuff from pitching tonight starting with Schmidt. Spread out the 5 hits and 2 walks and didn't allow a run in 6 and two-thirds. 8th straight appearance and from Weaver without allowing a run in 13 and two-thirds innings on this ongoing stretch. Holmes showed some rust over the long rest, but managed to strike out the side for the save (although admittedly was helped by the ump on that second strikeout).

I feel no sympathy on that 2nd strike out. Judge has been the victim of horrific strike calls all season. :nod:

Strong pitching, and Rizzo carried yesterday. Let's see what happens this afternoon

Rizzo has really been a surprise. I think the reason why he did so poorly last season was because of the concussion.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1290 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Rizzo has really been a surprise. I think the reason why he did so poorly last season was because of the concussion.

Bro someone should have lost their job over what happened to Rizzo last season. How does someone go weeks without being diagnosed for a concussion? Dude wasn't well at all and it was obvious, he literally couldn't see pitches coming.

They let the man get on a plane after being concussed. That's gross incompetence. I don't trust the Yankees medical staff after that.

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1291 » by knicks94 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:21 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Bro someone should have lost their job over what happened to Rizzo last season. How does someone go weeks without being diagnosed for a concussion? Dude wasn't well at all and it was obvious, he literally couldn't see pitches coming.

They let the man get on a plane after being concussed. That's gross incompetence. I don't trust the Yankees medical staff after that.

Yeah, exactly. The same thing when they had Judge in the lineup after hurting his foot in LA last season. The Yankees were out of the AL East race yet as a cheap attempt to keep the stadium full they played an inured Judge instead of shutting him down.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1292 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 11, 2024 4:38 pm

knicks94 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
knicks94 wrote:

Yeah, exactly. The same thing when they had Judge in the lineup after hurting his foot in LA last season. The Yankees were out of the AL East race yet as a cheap attempt to keep the stadium full they played an inured Judge instead of shutting him down.

Yeah and we have to put the onus on Cashman and Hal for all of this. I have no evidence that they are overruling medical staff but this stuff is egregious and blame always starts at the top.

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1293 » by knicks94 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:41 pm

Making the 3rd out at 3rd base with Soto coming up is next level stupid. No wonder the Padres couldn't wait to get rid of the guy.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1294 » by knicks94 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:01 pm

Nice to see Nasty Nestor in full form today.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1295 » by MrDollarBills » Sat May 11, 2024 9:40 pm

Nestor is done for the day after giving up 4 runs.

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1296 » by knicks94 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Nestor is done for the day after giving up 4 runs.

As a Knicks fan of 30 years I've seen many incompetent coaches, but none of them were ever on the level of stupid that Aaron Boone is on. You have to have an IQ level lower than an ostrich to place Trent Grisham in the lineup, pinch hit Gleyber Torres for Austin Wells and have Dennis Santana pitch in a winnable game against one of your division rivals.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1297 » by Rich Rane » Sat May 11, 2024 11:32 pm

knicks94 wrote:

As a Knicks fan of 30 years I've seen many incompetent coaches, but none of them were ever on the level of stupid that Aaron Boone is on. You have to have an IQ level lower than an ostrich to place Trent Grisham in the lineup, pinch hit Gleyber Torres for Austin Wells and have Dennis Santana pitch in a winnable game against one of your division rivals.

To Grisham's credit, in his three plate appearances, he drew a walk, popped out, and took a four-seamer for the team.

Catchers' bats are hot. Not entirely sure why you take either out for Torres's cold bat. Trevino was subbed in for Cabrera right after, but why not wait?

Cortes simply wasn't good today. There were times where he left too much on the plate and the Rays attacked early and attacked hard.

Santana had 7 straight appearances without giving up a run. He only walked 2 over 6 and two-thirds in that stretch until today. Actually started off well cleaning up Cortes's 6th inning, but then Rortvedt pinch hit and the lineup turned over and Santana pretty much let the game go.

Some hot bats are cooling. Verdugo is 0 for his last 16, Soto is 0 for his last 10.
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#1298 » by knicks94 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:54 am

Rich Rane wrote:
knicks94 wrote:

To Grisham's credit, in his three plate appearances, he drew a walk, popped out, and took a four-seamer for the team.

Catchers' bats are hot. Not entirely sure why you take either out for Torres's cold bat. Trevino was subbed in for Cabrera right after, but why not wait?

Cortes simply wasn't good today. There were times where he left too much on the plate and the Rays attacked early and attacked hard.

Santana had 7 straight appearances without giving up a run. He only walked 2 over 6 and two-thirds in that stretch until today. Actually started off well cleaning up Cortes's 6th inning, but then Rortvedt pinch hit and the lineup turned over and Santana pretty much let the game go.

Some hot bats are cooling. Verdugo is 0 for his last 16, Soto is 0 for his last 10.

Grisham might have gotten on base more than once, but his defense late in the game was brutal. If Boone had him in the lineup solely for his glove it was an epic fail.

Cortes wasn't at all sharp and put the Yankees in an early hole. He could have done a lot worse after the two homeruns, but getting beat by a guy who was batting .140 is unacceptable.

As for Boone's decision to pinch hit Gleyber while the game was still in reach had to be on the level of moronic as pinch hitting Mike Ford against Tampa in a crucial elimination game.

Does it really make any logical sense that the Yankees moved Torres out of the leadoff spot early in the season because he couldn't get on base and has contributed nothing at the plate, but when the Yankees desperately needed base runners yesterday Boone takes out one of the rare guys in the lineup who was hitting to bat Torres?

If he was going to take Wells out to play the righty/lefty game that him and Cashman's analytical nerds are so obsessed with, why not just have Trevino in that situation instead of Torres? It might still be the month of May, but throwing away a game like this against a division rival could end up haunting them in the long run.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#1299 » by Rich Rane » Sun May 12, 2024 12:06 pm

knicks94 wrote:Grisham might have gotten on base more than once, but his defense late in the game was brutal. If Boone had him in the lineup solely for his glove it was an epic fail.

I think it was just to give Judge some type of rest since he was the DH yesterday and Judge has been asked to play all over the outfield this season.

Cortes wasn't at all sharp and put the Yankees in an early hole. He could have done a lot worse after the two homeruns, but getting beat by a guy who was batting .140 is unacceptable.

Agreed. I could be wrong, but he might statistically be our worst pitcher at the moment.

As for Boone's decision to pinch hit Gleyber while the game was still in reach had to be on the level of moronic as pinch hitting Mike Ford against Tampa in a crucial elimination game.

Does it really make any logical sense that the Yankees moved Torres out of the leadoff spot early in the season because he couldn't get on base and has contributed nothing at the plate, but when the Yankees desperately needed base runners yesterday Boone takes out one of the rare guys in the lineup who was hitting to bat Torres?

If he was going to take Wells out to play the righty/lefty game that him and Cashman's analytical nerds are so obsessed with, why not just have Trevino in that situation instead of Torres? It might still be the month of May, but throwing away a game like this against a division rival could end up haunting them in the long run.

Agreed. I personally think with two catchers on the roster, if one is given the day off, give him the day off. Catching already puts so much on knees, it's best to keep them healthy as much as you can, not to mention if one is subbed out, and the remaining catcher gets injured, there's no one to replace him. Probably the only situation I pinch hit the off day catcher is for a current bat like Torres in the 9th.
Davis18
Pro Prospect
And1: 770

Post#1300 » by Davis18 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:15 pm

knicks94 wrote:

Boone is just a puppet.
It is all on Cashman.
Both gotta go asap.

Return to New York Knicks