ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#141 » by nyk2017 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:15 pm

The Lamma wrote:Zach Edey is suddenly in the first round in some mocks now. Ringer: #17. Tankathon: #21. I've only seen him pegged at mid-2nd round until this point, going back to last season

Why the change though? His numbers this year look nearly identical to last years

If Zach Edey is anywhere near the first round then that tells me that this draft sucks. Knicks should trade out of it for established players.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#142 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:15 pm

nyk2017 wrote:
The Lamma wrote:Zach Edey is suddenly in the first round in some mocks now. Ringer: #17. Tankathon: #21. I've only seen him pegged at mid-2nd round until this point, going back to last season

Why the change though? His numbers this year look nearly identical to last years

If Zach Edey is anywhere near the first round then that tells me that this draft sucks. Knicks should trade out of it for established players.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-zach-edey-flying-up-draft-boards-purdue-mock-lottery

Fewer shots per game. Drawing more fouls. Shooting percentage is up.
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#143 » by nyk2017 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:48 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
nyk2017 wrote:

Any team that drafts Edey in the first round should immediately fire their entire front office.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-zach-edey-flying-up-draft-boards-purdue-mock-lottery

Fewer shots per game. Drawing more fouls. Shooting percentage is up.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,243

Post#144 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:29 pm

Dallas is getting a little too close for comfort to sucking again.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,372

Post#145 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:53 pm

Capn'O wrote:Dallas is getting a little too close for comfort to sucking again.

I feel you, but of the teams between them and 10, the majority are in the same position as the Mavs: once they realize it's over, they'll shut it down.

Also, the Mavs are currently 26-22. Last year at this time they were 25-23, so the comparison is definitely valid.

However, they had to basically put forth a legendary run/effort to get into the range of keeping their pick, and it came down to the last game of the year. And then they got fined and put on blast by the league.

While the fine was a drop in the bucket, the fact that the league is on record admonishing them for tanking makes it that much more difficult to "get away" with it the very next year.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,857

Post#146 » by duetta » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:10 pm

If Luka is such a franchise talent, and he's got Kyrie next to him this season, why is Dallas hovering around .500?

Could it be that players who only play one side of the court don't produce enough wins to qualify as a legit franchise player?
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,838

Post#147 » by Wildcat » Mon Feb 5, 2024 12:09 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Dallas is getting a little too close for comfort to sucking again.

I feel you, but of the teams between them and 10, the majority are in the same position as the Mavs: once they realize it's over, they'll shut it down.

Also, the Mavs are currently 26-22. Last year at this time they were 25-23, so the comparison is definitely valid.

However, they had to basically put forth a legendary run/effort to get into the range of keeping their pick, and it came down to the last game of the year. And then they got fined and put on blast by the league.

While the fine was a drop in the bucket, the fact that the league is on record admonishing them for tanking makes it that much more difficult to "get away" with it the very next year.

I think with the new ownership, I don't think Dallas can really afford to miss out on play-in/play-off revenue. I use afford very loosely, of course.
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#148 » by Moose » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:02 am

The Mavs added some pieces, making it more likely the pick converts this season.

Not sure what the Knicks would do with both picks.

Based on past history, I expect them to trade at least one, if not both picks for future assets or obviously if a win-now piece becomes available.

And of course, packaging the picks to move up is also possible.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,003

Post#149 » by 8516knicks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:46 am

Moose wrote:The Mavs added some pieces, making it more likely the pick converts this season.

Not sure what the Knicks would do with both picks.

Based on past history, I expect them to trade at least one, if not both picks for future assets or obviously if a win-now piece becomes available.

And of course, packaging the picks to move up is also possible.

In years past we had lots of guys (for Knicks) on rookie contracts - RJ, IQ, Sims, Grimes, Deuce (5) and Thibs barely played 2 of them. Now we're down to one (Deuce) so I think they might actually pick one or two and keep them, especially if there's no clear BIG deal around draft time on the horizon.
ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,783

Post#150 » by ScienceOfLosing » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:55 am

duetta wrote:If Luka is such a franchise talent, and he's got Kyrie next to him this season, why is Dallas hovering around .500?

Could it be that players who only play one side of the court don't produce enough wins to qualify as a legit franchise player?

You have to build around his weakness on D like we have done with Jalen, not add to it w Kyrie.
We turned things around getting OG, Dallas probably needs to move off Kyrie and find the glue that fits.
Washington is an ok start.

Glad we got their pick, should convey and be around 15 ish.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,429

Post#151 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:34 pm

Wildcat wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

I think with the new ownership, I don't think Dallas can really afford to miss out on play-in/play-off revenue. I use afford very loosely, of course.

The west is fairly competitive. Golden State and maybe Houston might push for the final play to play spot. Utah might fall. Dallas would have to start losing kind of hard, but they're only in the play to play by 5 games.

The East, as it is now, if Atlanta loses in the play to play - seems a pretty good bet, the Mavs would need a worse record than Atlanta - that's 7 games.

If they finish as weak as they did last year . . . maybe, but it's also possible if they go that route, NY ends with teh #11 or #12 pick. My guess is that the Mavs won't tank like they did last year.
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,838

Post#152 » by Wildcat » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:57 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

The west is fairly competitive. Golden State and maybe Houston might push for the final play to play spot. Utah might fall. Dallas would have to start losing kind of hard, but they're only in the play to play by 5 games.

The East, as it is now, if Atlanta loses in the play to play - seems a pretty good bet, the Mavs would need a worse record than Atlanta - that's 7 games.

If they finish as weak as they did last year . . . maybe, but it's also possible if they go that route, NY ends with teh #11 or #12 pick. My guess is that the Mavs won't tank like they did last year.

Yeah, on top of what I said, their deadline trade seems to suggest a tank is off the table.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#153 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:02 pm

We effectively traded Grimes and Obi for Bojan and Burks. RJ and IQ for OG and Precious.

The entire purpose of a drafted FRP to the Knicks is to maximize and continue to gauge trade value while getting use out of him as veteran support staff until the right deal comes along.

Personally I feel vindicated since I’ve been out here by myself for years telling anyone who’d listen in these ridiculous draft threads that they never wanted either draft picks or the guys they drafted.

And I’m telling you now, they don’t want any of their future picks either. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll happily draft a player to fit a rotation role but they’ll do everything they can to trade down, trade out, or trade away to get the veteran help they want whether that’s immediately or by biding their time like they did with RJ, Obi, IQ, and Grimes.

If I had a son drafted by the Knicks, my advice would be to work hard, focus on fitting the rigid support role they’re offering, and I’ll have your agent working overtime in the background to pump up your trade value while finding you a real home where you’ll get a real chance.

Conversely, if I’m a young veteran on another team who doesn’t feel like I’ve been given the proper chance, going to the Knicks via FA or trade is super attractive because you won’t have your spot threatened by anyone younger than you.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,730

Post#154 » by DOT » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:06 pm

Pictured below: a man who didn't want the player he just drafted :lol:

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#155 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:12 pm

DOT wrote:Pictured below: a man who didn't want the player he just drafted :lol:

Dude, don’t you see it? I don’t understand how fans still believe after literally 40 years of the same behavior.

Of course he wants his draft picks to succeed. Because that’s how you maximize their trade value.

I promise you he made the same gesture two weeks later when he signed the veteran to play ahead of whoever he just drafted.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,730

Post#156 » by DOT » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:16 pm

cgmw wrote:Of course he wants his draft picks

Thanks for admitting it :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#157 » by Polk377 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:13 pm

This year will be more of the same from the Knicks when it comes to draft capital. Trade back while gaining future draft assets. Maybe take a couple of 2nd round fliers that fit the Thibs mold and move on. PJ Hall, Dillon Jones, Devin Carter and Trey Alexander are guys I can see in the late 1st/Early 2nd the Knicks would be interested in.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,837

Post#158 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:58 pm

cgmw wrote:We effectively traded Grimes and Obi for Bojan and Burks. RJ and IQ for OG and Precious.

The entire purpose of a drafted FRP to the Knicks is to maximize and continue to gauge trade value while getting use out of him as veteran support staff until the right deal comes along.

Personally I feel vindicated since I’ve been out here by myself for years telling anyone who’d listen in these ridiculous draft threads that they never wanted either draft picks or the guys they drafted.

And I’m telling you now, they don’t want any of their future picks either. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll happily draft a player to fit a rotation role but they’ll do everything they can to trade down, trade out, or trade away to get the veteran help they want whether that’s immediately or by biding their time like they did with RJ, Obi, IQ, and Grimes.

If I had a son drafted by the Knicks, my advice would be to work hard, focus on fitting the rigid support role they’re offering, and I’ll have your agent working overtime in the background to pump up your trade value while finding you a real home where you’ll get a real chance.

Conversely, if I’m a young veteran on another team who doesn’t feel like I’ve been given the proper chance, going to the Knicks via FA or trade is super attractive because you won’t have your spot threatened by anyone younger than you.

I think they likely would've kept those young players if they had panned out and become stars.

They did not, and so they reckoned it was advantageous to cash in on their value as trade chips (largely based on the uncertainty of their upside). I think it makes sense with Brunson propelling the Knicks into playoff contention. It's an important development because it provides a strong rationale for the moves (not saying that you're saying the moves weren't justified in this context). The new salary cap also plays a significant factor. It's more punitive, so the value of each young player must been seen through the lens of their contract extension.

From that group, only IQ showed real signs of progress, and his skill set was overlapping with Brunson to some extent - therefore filling less of a need. I think it's likely that the salary cap combined with the skill set overlap played a role in their calculations.

Mitch for instance stayed because he was impactful in his role as a starter. They developed him, extended him, and evidently didn't find a deal they thought would provide more value than he does. Will that change in the future? We'll see.

Unlike Mitch, both RJ and Grimes regressed as starters despite being given plenty of opportunities. That they're gone may be a consequence of that moreso than a broad intention to maximize the value of their young talent to then by default trade it away. That they highly valued Grimes in the Mitchell talks before his regression this year is an example of that. Obi never projected as a starter to begin with and appeared like a sunk cost - not really worth mentioning.

My point is I don't think you're wrong that they viewed the youth as assets. I would however say that it wasn't inevitable they got traded. I think their career trajectories played a significant role in this. Between the two who really panned out for us (Mitch and IQ), one has stayed, and the other was traded for a massive roster upgrade due to different considerations, including a non-negligible skill overlap with the franchise player.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,243

Post#159 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:19 pm

They do still move on from their younger players but their execution has been excellent recently so it's not the indictment it once was. Plus, the guys they target tend to be on the younger side now. Randle/Brunson/OG were all 25/26 now, entering their prime. iHart was pretty young.

Chanel Bomber wrote:I think they likely would've kept those young players if they had panned out and become stars.

Also this. And guys like Mitch and Deuce... if they can play their roles we're not in a huge hurry to move them unless/until the right move comes along. This management group is starting to win my benefit of the doubt.

I think we make our picks this year. We need cheap talent and a good chance to start the process of building players up again even if we do ultimately move them.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,611

Post#160 » by Fat Kat » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:42 pm

I think we’ll keep one pick and try to trade the other for a future pick.

As per my usual, I’d like a long 3&D wing or SF/PF. Sort of an OG understudy/injury replacement. Who’ll be in our range?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks