ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,070

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1461 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:53 am

Finally finished Persona 5 Royal. I loved it -- I'll miss the characters definitely. Is it worth it to get Persona 5 Strikers? Guess there's also Persona 3 reloaded now lol. Too many good games these days.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,143

Post#1462 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:31 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Finally finished Persona 5 Royal. I loved it -- I'll miss the characters definitely. Is it worth it to get Persona 5 Strikers? Guess there's also Persona 3 reloaded now lol. Too many good games these days.

I have P5 Strikers for the Switch, but never finished it. The game play is more action based but i prefer the turn style combat of the original.

On another note, Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth is out.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1463 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:21 pm

Okay watching that demon slayer movie did remind me of how good this song was

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1464 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Finally finished Persona 5 Royal. I loved it -- I'll miss the characters definitely. Is it worth it to get Persona 5 Strikers? Guess there's also Persona 3 reloaded now lol. Too many good games these days.

I have P5 Strikers for the Switch, but never finished it. The game play is more action based but i prefer the turn style combat of the original.

Hmm does the story connect though, for Strikers?

Might need to wait for FF7 Rebirth to come to Steam :( job hunt has been shat
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,655

Post#1465 » by j4remi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:16 pm

I thought Strikers was free on PS+ a while back. I'll have to check my library when I get a chance bc I remember trying it. But the gameplay felt more like Dynasty Warriors to me. So, I never got into it enough to know what it's doing for the story.

I'm REALLY curious about Persona 5 Tactica. Tactical RPGs used to be my jam. Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite FF game all-time. I never beat the Disgaea games, but only because I spend all my time playing in the Item Worlds instead of running story missions. But I haven't heard much about P5Tactica, which makes me want to wait for a sale.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,735

Post#1466 » by DOT » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:49 pm

OP 1109:

Spoiler:
Am I a bit disappointed about the whole teasing of an info dump only for a "we have to wait 10 minutes" thing?

Yeah. I mean, it makes sense in-universe, and it's a fun twist that it's the villains who are on a time limit, but still

However, am I hyped that we're gonna get all 5 Gorosei in Zoan-mode? Hell yeah

My expectation is that we're gonna get the lore through the Gorosei, and then Vegapunk is gonna reveal it to the world. Plus now Luffy and co. have a legit reason to just run instead of fight, Luffy was struggling against Saturn, I sure hope he isn't gonna beat all 5 at once, even with help from the giants. I mean, he even says it himself this chapter, that he's just holding them back so his crew can escape

Also, kind of a big reveal that the Gorosei have telepathy with each other, dudes definitely have something weird with them. Also, given that Saturn still thinks and talks in this form leads me to believe it's just the full-beast transformation of his, not anything else

In short, mildly disappointing chapter, but still good.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1467 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:53 pm

j4remi wrote:I thought Strikers was free on PS+ a while back. I'll have to check my library when I get a chance bc I remember trying it. But the gameplay felt more like Dynasty Warriors to me. So, I never got into it enough to know what it's doing for the story.

I'm REALLY curious about Persona 5 Tactica. Tactical RPGs used to be my jam. Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite FF game all-time. I never beat the Disgaea games, but only because I spend all my time playing in the Item Worlds instead of running story missions. But I haven't heard much about P5Tactica, which makes me want to wait for a sale.

FF Tactics was very addictive. I actually think the Persona 4's story was more engaging than Persona 5's story, but Persona 5 was still good.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1468 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:07 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Hmm does the story connect though, for Strikers?

Might need to wait for FF7 Rebirth to come to Steam :( job hunt has been shat

Strikers picks up like a year after Persona 5 ended. It's fun to play but i prefer turn based because I'm an old millenial boomer.

Good luck with the job hunt bro, keep your head up. This too shall pass.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1469 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:33 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Okay watching that demon slayer movie did remind me of how good this song was

Every Demon Slayer opening is a banger. I love how at the start of each intro, Tanjiro is joined by more and more people.

The Entertainment District is still my #1 intro.

Can't wait to see what they do for the final acts of the story

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1470 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:08 am

I haven't started Final Fantasy 7 yet, Helldivers 2 is a ton of fun.

Not bad for a 40 dollar game.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1471 » by j4remi » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:59 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
j4remi wrote:I thought Strikers was free on PS+ a while back. I'll have to check my library when I get a chance bc I remember trying it. But the gameplay felt more like Dynasty Warriors to me. So, I never got into it enough to know what it's doing for the story.

FF Tactics was very addictive. I actually think the Persona 4's story was more engaging than Persona 5's story, but Persona 5 was still good.

Agreed on both counts. I know a lot of FF fans who go through the trouble of 100%'ing those games. But I was never up for the challenge of beating the most difficult bosses. But with FFT, I could do a deep dungeon journey because I had so much fun with the jobs system combined with the gameplay.

I felt the stakes and liked the characters more in Persona 4. Granted, I still liked everyone in Persona 5, but there's something missing from that cast compared to 3 and 4 both imo.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1472 » by j4remi » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:20 pm

DOT wrote:OP 1109:

Spoiler:
Am I a bit disappointed about the whole teasing of an info dump only for a "we have to wait 10 minutes" thing?

Yeah. I mean, it makes sense in-universe, and it's a fun twist that it's the villains who are on a time limit, but still

However, am I hyped that we're gonna get all 5 Gorosei in Zoan-mode? Hell yeah

My expectation is that we're gonna get the lore through the Gorosei, and then Vegapunk is gonna reveal it to the world. Plus now Luffy and co. have a legit reason to just run instead of fight, Luffy was struggling against Saturn, I sure hope he isn't gonna beat all 5 at once, even with help from the giants. I mean, he even says it himself this chapter, that he's just holding them back so his crew can escape

Also, kind of a big reveal that the Gorosei have telepathy with each other, dudes definitely have something weird with them. Also, given that Saturn still thinks and talks in this form leads me to believe it's just the full-beast transformation of his, not anything else

In short, mildly disappointing chapter, but still good.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. The break week on top of the teaser is a one-two punch.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
It felt like a lot of wasted panels. I feel like we didn't need to see all the different places setting up TV's when I'm fairly confident we'll see their reactions to the news eventually. Plus, I know there's narrative purpose but I've had enough of Kizaru pouting panels.

Looks like crazy eyes did mean he's berserk. The telepathy's a cool addition, and I'm curious about the summoning stuff and how it works. Seeing the Gorosei's awakened forms will definitely be cool, especially after seeing their silhouettes during the Sabo chase.

One more thing the chapter reinforced is that Luffy doesn't know how to damage the Gorosei yet. I'm assuming if anyone would know how to do that, it'd be Shanks (and maybe Dragon). Maybe a good spot for the Strawhats to see what they're up against and get trained by the Red-Haired pirates for the final encounters...I've heard some complaints that while Luffy, Sanji and Zoro are powerful, the other Strawhats have been sidelined in big battles recently.

It sets up some good stuff for sure. I'm guessing Oda could use the extra time to do Gorosei Zoan designs due justice. It just sucks to have to wait.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1473 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:30 pm

j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

Agreed on both counts. I know a lot of FF fans who go through the trouble of 100%'ing those games. But I was never up for the challenge of beating the most difficult bosses. But with FFT, I could do a deep dungeon journey because I had so much fun with the jobs system combined with the gameplay.

I felt the stakes and liked the characters more in Persona 4. Granted, I still liked everyone in Persona 5, but there's something missing from that cast compared to 3 and 4 both imo.

I respect ppl who push for 100% completion on these games, but me? Once I finish the story I'm moving on :lol:

I never played Persona 4, the anime was pretty good though.

Persona 5 had fun characters. Haru was such a sweetheart. I felt they kinda over did some of the stuff with Ann, but that's me just being old and not comfortable with seeing teenage girls sexualized.

Says the guy who used the teenage male protagonist to romance the back alley doctor, the boozy reporter, and the teacher :lol: as if that wasn't sketchy at all.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1474 » by j4remi » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:18 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I respect ppl who push for 100% completion on these games, but me? Once I finish the story I'm moving on :lol:

Persona 5 had fun characters. Haru was such a sweetheart. I felt they kinda over did some of the stuff with Ann, but that's me just being old and not comfortable with seeing teenage girls sexualized.

Says the guy who used the teenage male protagonist to romance the back alley doctor, the boozy reporter, and the teacher :lol: as if that wasn't sketchy at all.

I feel that. That's me for damn near everything, unless I REALLY like a game. With a lot of RPGs, the 100% path tends to feel limiting to me. I like to be able to experiment with strategies, but for secret bosses and dungeons, it's often just about leveling your characters and carrying specific equipment. You wind up OP.

For me the only RPGs that I always found worth 100%'ing were the Suikoden games. Collecting 108 characters, building up your castle, and new combinations to test made it rewarding enough. I'm REALLY looking forward to the reboots coming out this year and Eiyuden Chronicles (which is made by the original Suikoden crew).

Persona games and relationships are always a little weird :lol: . I hope they flip the formula a bit for the next one. The OG Persona games didn't let you unlock every companion. If you accepted certain companions, it locked you out of others. I'd kinda like to see something like that reintroduced.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1475 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:

I respect ppl who push for 100% completion on these games, but me? Once I finish the story I'm moving on :lol:

Haha they did have that funny scene where you pay for the romances though.

I actually think P4 is way better, probably because you dive a lot deeper into the characters' motivations within the game and you actually see their growth. There's also a lot of glut in P5 in terms of the characters you talk to - a bunch of people who don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, all located in very different locations. Finally, I think the mystery in P4 draws you in more, and you get a lot of character interaction between NPCs...some of them are already good friends and have previous history, and it shows. They have better backgrounds, too, and they question themselves (sometimes in awkward and very un-PC ways).

Just for some reason, the coffee shop guy in P5 versus the detective whose home you stay in P4...I think the detective is way more fun.

P4 does take a long time to get rolling though.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1476 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:42 pm

Chainsaw Man Chapter 157

Spoiler:
This was a much needed chapter after the depression fuel of the last several weeks. Asa really did come to save Denji, and she brought Famine with her.

Loved the ending, Asa is complete goofball and that's why she's great lol. Time to see Fami in action. I hope she knows where Nayuta is too

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1477 » by DOT » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:03 pm

I was starting to get back into JJK, but with the latest chapter, I'm back out

"Sukuna hasn't even begun to take this fight seriously" bro gtf out of here, all that and we're still saying he isn't even trying, I thought this was supposed to be a new gen shonen but it's just falling right back into the same tropes as classic shonen.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1478 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:38 pm

DOT wrote:I was starting to get back into JJK, but with the latest chapter, I'm back out

"Sukuna hasn't even begun to take this fight seriously" bro gtf out of here, all that and we're still saying he isn't even trying, I thought this was supposed to be a new gen shonen but it's just falling right back into the same tropes as classic shonen.

The last 3 chapters were absolutely hype, and then the author pulls that mess at the end of the latest chapter. Unbelievable

Spoiler:
Seeing Yuji, Yuta and Maki bring the heat to Sukuna was so much fun, and it just all got ruined by the whole "this isn't even a fraction of my power" shite.

Like dude, if you're gonna do that, do it ONCE. Don't do it 5 times in one battle. When Gojo died and Sukuna pulled that, that should have been it. Instead, we're being led to believe that none of what happened the last 3 chapters even matters.

It's boring writing.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1479 » by DOT » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:I was starting to get back into JJK, but with the latest chapter, I'm back out

The last 3 chapters were absolutely hype, and then the author pulls that mess at the end of the latest chapter. Unbelievable

Spoiler:
Seeing Yuji, Yuta and Maki bring the heat to Sukuna was so much fun, and it just all got ruined by the whole "this isn't even a fraction of my power" shite.

Like dude, if you're gonna do that, do it ONCE. Don't do it 5 times in one battle. When Gojo died and Sukuna pulled that, that should have been it. Instead, we're being led to believe that none of what happened the last 3 chapters even matters.

It's boring writing.

I don't have a problem with it on its own. It's a classic for a reason

I do have a problem with it when the story presents itself as being not cliche'd in that way

That's really my big problem with JJK now, is that it's boring because we need a cliche power-up that comes out of nowhere because it isn't believable for the characters to win based on the framework of the story itself

It's similar to GoT in the later seasons. The internal logic of the story is gonna have to twist around the narrative, when earlier it was very much internally consistent.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1480 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:16 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Spoiler:

It's boring writing.

I don't have a problem with it on its own. It's a classic for a reason

I do have a problem with it when the story presents itself as being not cliche'd in that way

That's really my big problem with JJK now, is that it's boring because we need a cliche power-up that comes out of nowhere because it isn't believable for the characters to win based on the framework of the story itself

It's similar to GoT in the later seasons. The internal logic of the story is gonna have to twist around the narrative, when earlier it was very much internally consistent.

Yeah as presented, it's hard to suspend disbelief that this all ends with anything but total annihilation

Return to New York Knicks