ImageImageImageImageImage

Per WOJ - Randle having surgery

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,748

Re: Per WOJ - Randle having surgery 

Post#181 » by Synciere » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:14 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
Synciere wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:You really hate this for Randle because this was the postseason for him to prove that he can produce in the playoffs and give us a clear vision of this team moving forward, and now I don't know if we extend him.

No, we don't extend him. He has a player option, let him play it out. After Jalen's supermax we need to save some space just in case.

Pretty sure Jalen can't get the supermax because he wasn't traded as a rookie and isn't on his rookie contract, someone posted it a week or two ago, its some weird quirk about the supermax iirc. Hopefully someone can clarify for me.

So yeah I just looked it up. Marks says he's eligible for a 4-year, $156.5M deal. Ha! So he'd still be below market at 39 per lol...
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,082

Post#182 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:19 pm

"It's never happened in history!"

Whether these injuries can really be attributed to Thibodeau at all, or whether he’s just been a victim of bad luck, nobody can say for sure. However, I do find it surprising that Thibodeau has yet to let his stars have more in the way of rest, especially late in blowouts.

Take, for example, the Wolves victory over the Bulls on Saturday night, when the starters stayed in a game that was hovering around a 20-point advantage for the Wolves. They didn’t head to the bench until just over a minute remained in the game.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/02/26/does-timberwolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-have-an-injury-problem/

The same goddamn arguments from 2018, with the same goddamn excuses. You can't really blame him, except for the fact it keeps happening to him because he keeps doing the same thing over and over again.

Again, he shouldn't have been in the game.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,840

Post#183 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:19 pm

stuporman wrote:The question the minutes police refuse to answer is will you accept more losses to play players fewer minutes? The interrogation room lighting is too bright for them...

If you will just say it, don't distract from the question or shift the point, no moving goalposts, say it if you will and let it be what it is.

Month of January there was only 1 Knick in the Top 20, 3 Knicks in the Top 50. All at 35 MPG. Mavs, Bulls, Kings, Lakers, and Bucks had 2 players in the Top 20, Suns had 3 in the Top 20.

Everyone will agree we are playing Josh and Deuce, but they are victims of circumstances.

If someone is dead set on blaming somebody, blame the NBA for allowing this year's neck break pace. Throw some blame at Miami (again).
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#184 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:23 pm

Wildcat wrote:
stuporman wrote:The question the minutes police refuse to answer is will you accept more losses to play players fewer minutes? The interrogation room lighting is too bright for them...

If you will just say it, don't distract from the question or shift the point, no moving goalposts, say it if you will and let it be what it is.

Month of January there was only 1 Knick in the Top 20, 3 Knicks in the Top 50. All at 35 MPG. Mavs, Bulls, Kings, Lakers, and Bucks had 2 players in the Top 20, Suns had 3 in the Top 20.

Everyone will agree we are playing Josh and Deuce, but they are victims of circumstances.

If someone is dead set on blaming somebody, blame the NBA for allowing this year's neck break pace. Throw some blame at Miami (again).

You can blame Miami for taking charges and being dirty, but you also have to ask why would the coach keep one of his two offensive cogs on the floor against a team that will take charges that late in the game. Protect the players from themselves, can you realistically say Tom does that, go look at Hart's minutes, and realize surprise surprise....he's injured.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,278

Post#185 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:27 pm

Well. ****.

Sounds like he would have been substantially compromised if he tried to play in the playoffs and we'd be hearing "choking" whispers again. Good to take care of his health but the situation sucks.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#186 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:38 pm

Capn'O wrote:Well. ****.

Sounds like he would have been substantially compromised if he tried to play in the playoffs and we'd be hearing "choking" whispers again. Good to take care of his health but the situation sucks.

I would have cut him a lot of slack had he come back, but he wouldn't have been the player he was, he'd have to play without taking contact which isn't his game. He did the right thing for his career, plus our coach would have absolutely played him 43-47mpg.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 34,319

Post#187 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g

Not good Folksssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#188 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:46 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Well. ****.

I would have cut him a lot of slack had he come back, but he wouldn't have been the player he was, he'd have to play without taking contact which isn't his game. He did the right thing for his career, plus our coach would have absolutely played him 43-47mpg.

Absolutely the right move.

Particularly this year he had such a physical offensive game. Him not being back already... I didn't see how it was gonna work. It's just a bummer.
BAF Clippers

Wildcat
RealGM

Post#189 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:48 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
We won the game by 16, obviously we would have held on if he had been on the bench, since that's exactly what we did after he got hurt. He shouldn't have been in the game, the man has a pattern of this, it came back to haunt him like it did with the Bulls and Wolves.

The level of your hindsight is unbelievable, mate.

What does winning the game by 16 have anything to do with being up by 17 with 4:30 minutes to go a game? Leads evaporate on a nightly basis here in the NBA. Miami didn't even sub out their starters until about a minute left in the game. The Knicks end game lineup didn't come out of the game until Miami's starters came out. They were still trying to win. Knicks went scoreless for about a minute after the injury. Only scored 10 points in the last 4 minutes. Miami hits a few shots and this is a different game.

Would you be singing the same tune if Thibs put the bench in and cut to 8 or lost the lead? Because if memory serves me right, we've seen these moments where their bench looks like a G-League team. Hate Thibs all you want, but this isn't some kind of poetic krama thing biting him in the ass. Just another **** Heats thing mixed in with some badluck.

You're saying it's hindsight, while coming up with a hypothetical about how Miami could maybe make some shots? I mean, they didn't, I'm basing my argument on the fact we actually won after he got hurt. If it were that critical that he be left in till the very last second then we should have lost that game.

Again, you guys are trying to argue against history, where he has done this with two previous teams, we even saw RJ get hurt in a game that was decided against the Nuggets. Does this need to happen to Jalen before you guys say maybe it's a problem?

If you can use hindsight, why can't I? Fine, let's takeaway hindsight and talk about history.

Facts: Before the injury, the Knicks bench were 26th in the league in PPG. Knicks bench lead the league in committed fouls. Knicks bench was 2nd in committed turnovers. Knicks bench were 25th in FG%. And even in spite of all those low numbers, the Knicks bench ranked 12th in the Knick in MPG.

Knicks have a weak bench. That's history. And history has shown the bench struggles. Especially against a defense like Miami's. Thibs played a 9-man rotation against Miami. Seems fairly average to me.

Now, this stat is particularly hard to track, but in the 1st half the Knicks bench were +38. In the 2nd half, they were +2. Miami figured something out.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#190 » by Oscirus » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:53 pm

So they waited so long that not only did they give fans false hope for this season but the surgery is likely going to bleed into next season as well. As for OG, unless the knicks have a wink wink deal to re-sign him at a number and amount of years comfortable for him, I don't see how they'd be able to keep him on the bench.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Kidknick!
Head Coach
And1: 1,805

Post#191 » by Kidknick! » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:53 pm

Classic. Be mad and blame Miami all we want, but in reality it was a THREE on ONE fast break and Randle didn't give up the ball because he was pressing during a BLOWOUT win... Just classic.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#192 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:56 pm

Oscirus wrote:So they waited so long that not only did they give fans false hope for this season but the surgery is likely going to bleed into next season as well. As for OG, unless the knicks have a wink wink deal to re-sign him at a number and amount of years comfortable for him, I don't see how they'd be able to keep him on the bench.

I don't think they did that. They probably just couldn't really tell where he'd be until we were here. Maybe they knew two weeks ago but not when it happened.
BAF Clippers

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,337

Post#193 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:56 pm

Kidknick! wrote:Classic. Be mad and blame Miami all we want, but in reality it was a THREE on ONE fast break and Randle didn't give up the ball because he was pressing during a BLOWOUT win... Just classic.

huh
BaF
Washington Wizards
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#194 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:57 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:You can blame Miami for taking charges and being dirty, but you also have to ask why would the coach keep one of his two offensive cogs on the floor against a team that will take charges that late in the game. Protect the players from themselves, can you realistically say Tom does that, go look at Hart's minutes, and realize surprise surprise....he's injured.

Oh, c'mon now. Miami still had their starters in and it was still a game that wasn't decided. 2, 2 and a half minutes, yeah, you got a point. But at 4 minutes? You can't hide your players because you're afraid of some bull happening. Miami wasn't waving the white flag.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#195 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:59 pm

Kidknick! wrote:Classic. Be mad and blame Miami all we want, but in reality it was a THREE on ONE fast break and Randle didn't give up the ball because he was pressing during a BLOWOUT win... Just classic.

You're right. Let's blame Hart for passing the ball to Randle.

At least I'm having a spirited debate else where in this thread. This comment right here is just plain dumb.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#196 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:59 pm

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
The level of your hindsight is unbelievable, mate.

What does winning the game by 16 have anything to do with being up by 17 with 4:30 minutes to go a game? Leads evaporate on a nightly basis here in the NBA. Miami didn't even sub out their starters until about a minute left in the game. The Knicks end game lineup didn't come out of the game until Miami's starters came out. They were still trying to win. Knicks went scoreless for about a minute after the injury. Only scored 10 points in the last 4 minutes. Miami hits a few shots and this is a different game.

Would you be singing the same tune if Thibs put the bench in and cut to 8 or lost the lead? Because if memory serves me right, we've seen these moments where their bench looks like a G-League team. Hate Thibs all you want, but this isn't some kind of poetic krama thing biting him in the ass. Just another **** Heats thing mixed in with some badluck.

You're saying it's hindsight, while coming up with a hypothetical about how Miami could maybe make some shots? I mean, they didn't, I'm basing my argument on the fact we actually won after he got hurt. If it were that critical that he be left in till the very last second then we should have lost that game.

Again, you guys are trying to argue against history, where he has done this with two previous teams, we even saw RJ get hurt in a game that was decided against the Nuggets. Does this need to happen to Jalen before you guys say maybe it's a problem?

If you can use hindsight, why can't I? Fine, let's takeaway hindsight and talk about history.

Facts: Before the injury, the Knicks bench were 26th in the league in PPG. Knicks bench lead the league in committed fouls. Knicks bench was 2nd in committed turnovers. Knicks bench were 25th in FG%. And even in spite of all those low numbers, the Knicks bench ranked 12th in the Knick in MPG.

Knicks have a weak bench. That's history. And history has shown the bench struggles. Especially against a defense like Miami's. Thibs played a 9-man rotation against Miami. Now, this stat is particularly hard to track, but in the 1st half the Knicks bench were +38. In the 2nd half, they were +2. Miami figured something out.

You're using a hypothetical, I'm stating a fact, we kept the lead after he got hurt, your hypothetical is based around the idea that we would have lost had we taken him out at 4:45 instead of 4:30 where he got hurt. Your hypothetical is far more unlikely than what I'm saying, because we won, and it wasn't close even after he got hurt.

He shouldn't have been in the game, we held on after he got hurt. The most important question, was it worth it? Keeping him in the game to hold onto that 17 point lead, which ended up being a 16 point win after he got hurt, was it worth it in the end? He's out for the playoffs and his recovery could bleed into the regular season. History will show another Tom player got hurt late in the game, and his team limped into the playoffs, yet again, because that is a recurring feature of him being a coach. Even when we made the playoffs three years ago it was without Mitch, last year Randle got hurt before them, this year OG, Mitch and Randle. It'll take Jalen getting hurt before you guys finally open your eyes.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#197 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:01 pm

DaGawd wrote:

huh

:lol:

There's literally a phrase about coaches protecting players from themselves, these dudes have already blamed Rose for getting hurt, now it's Randle's fault for attacking the basket. All the players hurt under Tom's watch is all bad luck and not his fault.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,619

Post#198 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:01 pm

Emotions are high in here. Oh well. Get well soon Randle. Some tough decisions will have to be made in the off-season.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,842

Post#199 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:02 pm

Synciere wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:You don't bring OG back unless he's 200%.

We're not winning a chip without Randle. We could potentially make a run at the ECF without him and with a healthy OG, but you don't risk causing permanent damage to his elbow for that.

OG's gonna be on our books for 4 more years. You have to think long term.

My inclination would be to shut him down as well. No basketball-related activities until it heals completely.

At this point, shouldn't we be hesitant in giving OG a big deal?

I think it's a risk you have to take.

Not just because of the players we traded away, but more importantly because he may put us into contention if he can stay healthy for any of those seasons.

It's like Embiid or AD or Steph. Their teams had to make a gamble on their health. Sometimes it pans out sometimes it doesn't. Murray missed two seasons and he was a key part of Denver's championship run last year. Those two lost seasons mean nada in comparison.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#200 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:10 pm

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:You can blame Miami for taking charges and being dirty, but you also have to ask why would the coach keep one of his two offensive cogs on the floor against a team that will take charges that late in the game. Protect the players from themselves, can you realistically say Tom does that, go look at Hart's minutes, and realize surprise surprise....he's injured.

Oh, c'mon now. Miami still had their starters in and it was still a game that wasn't decided. 2, 2 and a half minutes, yeah, you got a point. But at 4 minutes? You can't hide your players because you're afraid of some bull happening. Miami wasn't waving the white flag.

We held the lead after he got hurt, he shouldn't have been in the game 8-)

It doesn't matter if they were waving the white flag or not, we routinely keep our starters in against teams that call off the dogs and we've won very few of them. They didn't have it that night, they weren't winning, they didn't win after he left the game, pulling him out 15 seconds sooner stops him from being in that situation. A coach should always protect the players, he could have taken him out 30 seconds sooner and brought him back in a minute if the lead were cut, but he doesn't do things like that which is why it's a recurring theme of players getting hurt late.

Return to New York Knicks