ImageImageImageImageImage

Upcoming Hartenstein free agency

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,039

Re: Upcoming Hartenstein extension 

Post#21 » by Richard4444 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:50 pm

Besides, we can not give him too many promises.

He is very tradable if we can land a star.

Evan or the player we trade him for might not be enough filler.

I guess Brunson and OG are virtually untradeable.

We will try very hard to not trade Hart and DDV because of the VIlanova Connection.

Who is left?

The issue with Randle is that no one will give proper value to Randle"s contract because of his reputation.

In the end, we can be forced to give them Mitch and IHart.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Context
RealGM
And1: 14,578

Post#22 » by Context » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:52 pm

sol537 wrote:Stop worrying about next year. Enjoy the moment. We’ve earned this.

Couldnt have said it better :nod:
LaMelo/J-Green
S.Barnes/JMAC
Herbert-J/Kyle
JarenJjr/Portis
B.Lopez/Duren
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,283

Post#23 » by Jeffrey » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:53 pm

I believe he can only sign up to 15 m since he is early bird right? That's one of few mistakes Leon made in free agency.

If the Knicks promise him a starting role... I could see him sign a 1 year 15 m extension and then sign a bigger contract after next season. If not, he is gone because he deserves every penny and a starting spot.

This isn't to put down Mitch but we seriously need to talk about how injury prone he is. I love him but if he is missing 30+ games a year, he isn't reliable.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,368

Post#24 » by douggood » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:58 pm

Jeffrey wrote:I believe he can only sign up to 15 m since he is early bird right? That's one of few mistakes Leon made in free agency.

If the Knicks promise him a starting role... I could see him sign a 1 year 15 m extension and then sign a bigger contract after next season. If not, he is gone because he deserves every penny and a starting spot.

This isn't to put down Mitch but we seriously need to talk about how injury prone he is. I love him but if he is missing 30+ games a year, he isn't reliable.

he cannot sign 1 year contract. has to be minimum 2 years for early bird right players.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Jeffrey » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:59 pm

douggood wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:I believe he can only sign up to 15 m since he is early bird right? That's one of few mistakes Leon made in free agency.

he cannot sign 1 year contract. has to be minimum 2 years for early bird right players.

I didn't know that, can it be a 1+1?
douggood
General Manager

Post#26 » by douggood » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:00 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
douggood wrote:

no, has to be 2-4 years

Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length,

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,551

Post#27 » by sol537 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:02 pm

You sign iHart for the max we can give him 16m+ starting for 4 years and you trade Mitch. Then you give Precious an extension at a fair value (no one’s overpaying him). Keep this core together.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#28 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:06 pm

I just cant see Isaiah leaving this.

He will either sign the full 4 year Early Bird contract starting around 16M this summer, or he will sign a 2 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year so he can opt out and get a bigger Full Bird contract next summer.

Remember Isaiah would also get more exposure and possible side gigs/endorsements in NYC than anywhere else too.

Promising him the starting job would be necessary if we expect him to come back though I imagine. I know him and Mitch are boys but sh*t happens.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,005

Post#29 » by 8516knicks » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:07 pm

Richard4444 wrote:Besides, we can not give him too many promises.

We will try very hard to not trade Hart and DDV because of the VIlanova Connection.

Who is left?

The issue with Randle is that no one will give proper value to Randle"s contract because of his reputation.

We are not going to give anyone BOTH our centers. :crazy:
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,879

Post#30 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:09 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:I just cant see Isaiah leaving this.

He will either sign the full 4 year Early Bird contract starting around 16M this summer, or he will sign a 2 year deal with a player option for the 2nd year so he can opt out and get a bigger Full Bird contract next summer.

Promising him the starting job would be necessary if we expect him to come back though I imagine. I know him and Mitch are boys but sh*t happens.

Thibs is running him at insane volumes for a big man. That achilles strain is a pretty god-awful omen for longterm health. I’d be pretty concerned that his productivity would drop off a cliff once he has the longterm deal. Personally, if my longterm financial future was secure I wouldn’t jeopardize my longterm health (in life, not just hoops) to play insane minutes for Thibs.

Look at miles run among NBA players. Hartenstein is the biggest dude by far logging those kind of miles. Thibs has him running for his next contract like Reggie, Ray, or Steph.

Truth is a Thibs team probably needs 3 starting caliber centers because he will always injure at least one if not two of them at any given time.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,260

Post#31 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:11 pm

douggood wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
douggood wrote:he cannot sign 1 year contract. has to be minimum 2 years for early bird right players.

no, has to be 2-4 years

Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length,

Hmmm... I wonder if that precludes a 4 year contract with a year 1 player option. It probably does.

This seems like a weird line in the sand for the CBA to split hairs on. Like, it's fine to offer three 1-year contracts towards Bird rights but do a 2 and a 1? Whoa, that's some crazy **** that we just can't allow. I know it's the rules. I'm just complaining. It seems like it punishes teams for finding guys who improve under their wing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
epics2002
Senior
And1: 94

Post#32 » by epics2002 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:11 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Ihart seems like a guy who would take less money to stay on the Knicks.

While I generally agree here, this is shaping up to be a huge difference.....like 4years/80million vs. what 4years/60million?

Can we do a 2 year deal with a player option after the first and promise him to take care of him after the first year? Or is something like that forbidden in the NBA?

What type of contract can someone with cap space offer Ihart? How much more than us?
douggood
General Manager

Post#33 » by douggood » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:14 pm

epics2002 wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Ihart seems like a guy who would take less money to stay on the Knicks.

While I generally agree here, this is shaping up to be a huge difference.....like 4years/80million vs. what 4years/60million?

Can we do a 2 year deal with a player option after the first and promise him to take care of him after the first year? Or is something like that forbidden in the NBA?

What type of contract can someone with cap space offer Ihart? How much more than us?

4 year 180ish mil is what is he eligible for from other teams
4 year 73is mil is what the max knicks can give him.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,562

Post#34 » by robillionaire » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:16 pm

Give him whatever he wants, find the money somewhere
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Jeffrey » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:18 pm

sol537 wrote:You sign iHart for the max we can give him 16m+ starting for 4 years and you trade Mitch. Then you give Precious an extension at a fair value (no one’s overpaying him). Keep this core together.

I heard that we can't give him that much as well.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#36 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:24 pm

cgmw wrote:

Thibs is running him at insane volumes for a big man. That achilles strain is a pretty god-awful omen for longterm health. I’d be pretty concerned that his productivity would drop off a cliff once he has the longterm deal. Personally, if my longterm financial future was secure I wouldn’t jeopardize my longterm health (in life, not just hoops) to play insane minutes for Thibs.

Look at miles run among NBA players. Hartenstein is the biggest dude by far logging those kind of miles. Thibs has him running for his next contract like Reggie, Ray, or Steph.

Truth is a Thibs team probably needs 3 starting caliber centers because he will always injure at least one if not two of them at any given time.

This is valid.

The achilles thing is definitely a concern, especially since he seems to almost tweak it every game now. Hopefully we’re not playing with fire and he will make it through the playoffs.

Part of Isaiah’s minutes being high is that Mitch also got hurt though, and Mitch’s injury had little to do with Thibs.

Precious has been playing well but he’s more of a backup 4/5 and clearly not a starting caliber center like Mitch. Sims is a 3rd stringer at best. So if Mitch can come back and be content playing 20 mpg off the bench, or if he gets moved for another more reliable backup center, then Isaiah should be fine.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Jeffrey » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:34 pm

Remember Isaiah would also get more exposure and possible side gigs/endorsements in NYC than anywhere else too.

There's quite a few teams with cap space that might be willing to give him Poetl's money and a starting position. I hope that he stays but who knows.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 6,039

Post#38 » by Richard4444 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:39 pm

8516knicks wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Besides, we can not give him too many promises.

Who is left?

We are not going to give anyone BOTH our centers. :crazy:

I mean both are tradable. But we Deal only one of the 2.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 342

Post#39 » by movingon » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:51 pm

douggood wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
douggood wrote:he cannot sign 1 year contract. has to be minimum 2 years for early bird right players.

no, has to be 2-4 years

Of course It can be 1+1, i.e., 2nd year is a player option.
douggood
General Manager

Post#40 » by douggood » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:54 pm

movingon wrote:
douggood wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

no, has to be 2-4 years

Of course It can be 1+1, i.e., 2nd year is a player option.

nope
here i will let NBA.com explain it to you
A contract signed using the Early Bird Exception must be for at least two seasons (not including any option year).

https://www.nba.com/news/free-agency-explained

Return to New York Knicks