ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Donte's Ceiling?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,879

Re: What's Donte's Ceiling? 

Post#21 » by cgmw » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:35 am

I’m keeping my expectations in check until he’s able to do it while Randle’s healthy. Odds seem pretty good he’ll revert to solid 14 ppg scorer, but who the hell knows?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#22 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:39 am

cgmw wrote:I’m keeping my expectations in check until he’s able to do it while Randle’s healthy. Odds seem pretty good he’ll revert to solid 14 ppg scorer, but who the hell knows?

He shouldn't regress but, his numbers will drop with less touches. He already proved himself alongside the entire team. He's a perfect fit.
:beer: RIP mags
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#23 » by TrueWarrior » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:42 am

cgmw wrote:I’m keeping my expectations in check until he’s able to do it while Randle’s healthy. Odds seem pretty good he’ll revert to solid 14 ppg scorer, but who the hell knows?

I mean of course his scoring is going to go down when/if Julius and, to a lesser extent, OG come back.

He’s only getting this many shots and minutes because they’ve been out, but luckily he’s stepped up and been playing even better on higher volume in their absence.

Jalen is 1st option, then Julius, then Donte and OG share the 3rd/4th. So yeah if Donte gets around 30 mpg I see him around 13-15 ppg with our full lineup unless Julius is traded. He’ll do whatever the team needs.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,005

Post#24 » by 8516knicks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:49 am

The Lamma wrote:I'm just proud of the board that no one has given the dismissive "Why not just let him be Donte Divincenzo" answer

It's a good question because no one expected him to be playing at this level.

I remember a video on youtube of Donte in his freshman year stunning Jalen with an awesome dunk just in practice. He has insane hops and great shooter. Hence the Michael Jordan of Delaware (Jay Wright). Klay in NYC not a bad comp. :nod:
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,619

Post#25 » by Fat Kat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:52 am

Can we all agree that he’s better than Quickley
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,755

Post#26 » by Ursusamericanus » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:56 am

cgf wrote:He's a modern Starks, for better & worse.

Yeah, I was thinking the same.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,467

Post#27 » by spree8 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:16 am

8516knicks wrote:
The Lamma wrote:I'm just proud of the board that no one has given the dismissive "Why not just let him be Donte Divincenzo" answer

I remember a video on youtube of Donte in his freshman year stunning Jalen with an awesome dunk just in practice. He has insane hops and great shooter. Hence the Michael Jordan of Delaware (Jay Wright). Klay in NYC not a bad comp. :nod:

Insane hops? Cmon. Dudes dunks are average at best and he only does 10 of them per season.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#28 » by TrueWarrior » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:33 am

spree8 wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

Insane hops? Cmon. Dudes dunks are average at best and he only does 10 of them per season.

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2018/09/17/milwaukee-bucks-best-channel-donte-divincenzo-athleticism/

Of the 69 players that attended the event in mid-May, DiVincenzo came in first with a standing vertical leap of 34.5 inches and tied for first with Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Josh Okogie at 42 inches in the max vertical leap test, per NBA.com/stats.

Donte had the best hops at the draft combine, and he still has em now if you watch him jump all over for rebounds and blocks. He doesnt dunk much sure, but watch his better ones on youtube and the boy can sky. Clyde said “White Men CAN jump” in regards to him a few weeks ago.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,125

Post#29 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:35 am

jr smith
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,420

Post#30 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:37 am

Why not just let him be Donte Divincenzo?
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#31 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:39 am

Donte is a smart player who knows where to be on the floor, is decisive with a very quick release and requires minimal usage to get the job done, either as as a passer or shooter. He fits into any roster, because he knows how to play the game.
ImageImageImage
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#32 » by 8516knicks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:40 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

There's one in every crowd. :lol:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#33 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:40 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
spree8 wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2018/09/17/milwaukee-bucks-best-channel-donte-divincenzo-athleticism/

Of the 69 players that attended the event in mid-May, DiVincenzo came in first with a standing vertical leap of 34.5 inches and tied for first with Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Josh Okogie at 42 inches in the max vertical leap test, per NBA.com/stats.

Donte had the best hops at the draft combine, and he still has em now if you watch him jump all over for rebounds and blocks. He doesnt dunk much sure, but watch his better ones on youtube and the boy can sky. Clyde said “White Men CAN jump” in regards to him a few weeks ago.

Donte is a bouncy little fuqqer
ImageImageImage
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,962

Post#34 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:44 am

Starks is probably one of the better comparisons out there. He really has two settings on offense lay-up/dunk or 3, no real in-between moves ie step-back, floater, etc.

Most guys from yester-year who have his shot profile and athleticism are more of a multi-tool.

There is some Doug Christie in there, some Qrich (suns and skinny version), JR Smith off the weed?, Leondro Barbosa but one who doesn't smash his MVP point guard teammates wife? Or speaking of infidelity Brent Barry (whose wife allegedly was messing around with Tony Parker).
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,984

Post#35 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:49 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,467

Post#36 » by spree8 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:51 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
spree8 wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

That’s cool n all, but his in game dunks are meh at best. He may have had a better vertical than Okogie, Bridges, Luka, Trae, Sexton, etc but that’s not all that impressive competition.

When someone says “insane hops”… I expect to see farrr better than what he’s shown in the league when playing above the rim. Dudes dunks barely are considered that.

I really like Donte and been wanting us to sign him, but he’s not a dunker and he’s def not Starks…
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#37 » by 8516knicks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:40 am

spree8 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
spree8 wrote:

That’s cool n all, but his in game dunks are meh at best. He may have had a better vertical than Okogie, Bridges, Luka, Trae, Sexton, etc but that’s not all that impressive competition.

When someone says “insane hops”… I expect to see farrr better than what he’s shown in the league when playing above the rim. Dudes dunks barely are considered that.

I really like Donte and been wanting us to sign him, but he’s not a dunker and he’s def not Starks…

Donte has been warned; he'll have to get his dunks up to your expectations! :lol:
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,004

Post#38 » by NowWHYcee7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:15 am

hes mini klay right now, sky is the limit
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#39 » by HighRyzer83 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:32 am

If he can only use his hops and athleticism on his finishes he'd be incredible. Sometimes he panic dunks or short arms it when he anticipates contact and it looks feeble. But he has excellent tools that he does not yet use to the fullest. He's 27, that's about 5 years worth of prime so hopefully he figures it out.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#40 » by Polk377 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:30 am

First and foremost he is proving to be a reliable starting SG. Benching Grimes for Donte has changed the season around. 10-8 with Grimes and 23-10 with Donte in the starting lineup. Most importantly he can be a reliable 3rd scoring option to compliment Jalen and Julius. He doesn't need the ball to be effective but can get his own when he needs to and get others involved. This will also be beneficial for OG where he doesn't have to worry much about scoring and can focus more on the defensive end while getting easy baskets on offense.

As far as his full upside, I could see him being a 22 4 5 on 46% shooting and 40% from 3 as a 2nd option behind a star.

Return to New York Knicks