ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Re: PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids 

Post#301 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 pm

DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Don't be cowards everyone. Answer my question regarding who is the true architect of this Knick team. Put your answer down for posterity.

Jalen Brunson becoming a top 10 player in the NBA is why we are where we are...all the other stuff is nice and good but you need an elite player to win in the NBA...and we now have one.

Now having that player doesn't guarantee anything....Leon/WWW/Thibs culture has helped along with us identifying good tough hard working role players.

Like I said before we basically have built the modern day AI sixers model. With Brunson being a more EFF 3 level scorer then AI.

Nah, it's all Thibs

Brunson is a bum, OG sucks, Randle sucks, everyone sucks. Any other coach in the league would have us looking like the Wizards.

You may be right but...
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,820

Post#302 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Beyond this though, Thibs is a maniac. He keeps playing guys when they're obviously hurting or beyond gassed and it's just wild to me. I was at the Portland game - I've never seen a guy in such consistently obvious pain as OG remain in the game outside of do or die playoff situations.

basically this.

its a medical staff thing but thibs is a part of that. Because his tenure in NY isn't the first time this has happened. He played Derrick Rose and Loul Deng and Noah huge minutes and a lot of those guys had much shorter careers. Can everything be blamed on him...no absolutely not and he is a successful coach and people certainly compliment him on his relentless attention to detail and preparation especially in the regular season.

But like you said there is a reason sports scientists brought in load management and minutes restrictions because while you can't prevent every injury you can also be smart about certain things to not compound them.

He's got that "if he dies, he dies" mentality as long as we are wining.

Rose was on a one way track to getting injured regardless of who is coach was IMO. The way he moved so violently had no long term viability and that was pre-modern sports science emphasis where they could have taught him how to land better, move more efficiently, etc. Most of those uber athletic point guards from that era have had pretty short lived peaks or have struggled with injuries. John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Ja Morant and countless other examples.

I'd argue Luol Deng and Noah had pretty standard length careers with normal peaks and fall off. Maybe a tad bit early but both basically found their way out of the league at around 34 years old which is pretty standard for non top 10 star level talents. Noah may have been a bit earlier than he should have been I can give you that one because once he hit 30 he basically couldn't start anymore.

Also Taj and Jimmy sort of debunk that narrative as well.

Deng and Noah while they continued to play were nearly the same player from earlier in there careers...I mean Noah was around for his tenure here but was he really here? Deng had stints in other places but was pretty much shot.

Jimmy Butler certainly hasn't been a model of health. He has only surpassed 60 games played once since 2016-17...he has been avg about 30 or so missed games a season for better part of a decade.

Taj probably only one who's had any sort of longevity for a player that has played a majority of his career under thibs. Like I said its not a perfect science but there are certain trends to not be ignored.

Rose injury could obviously happen to anyone he also came into the league for 3 straight years and played nearly 40 mins a night for 80 games + playoffs. Again not going to specifically say Rose ACL was destroyed by thibs you may be right his violent actions could have been a ticking time bomb but again we are dealing with sample size here.

Last year...injuries caught up to us
knick vs atl we lost because we weren't healthy
minnesota jimmy butler was banged up all season
chicago teams were always limping to the finish line with injuries.

I'm just curious do you think that is all just bad luck because looking throughout league certainly every coach doesn't deal with this.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,284

Post#303 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Don't be cowards everyone. Answer my question regarding who is the true architect of this Knick team. Put your answer down for posterity.

Jalen Brunson becoming a top 10 player in the NBA is why we are where we are...all the other stuff is nice and good but you need an elite player to win in the NBA...and we now have one.

Now having that player doesn't guarantee anything....Leon/WWW/Thibs culture has helped along with us identifying good tough hard working role players.

Like I said before we basically have built the modern day AI sixers model. With Brunson being a more EFF 3 level scorer then AI.

Lazy answer. Clearly star players make a team in the NBA. Yet it's also true that not just any collection of role players supports a star and also teams can lean into certain kinds of role players. Who on the Knicks is driving the roster construction and playing style\approach\vision?

It's interesting that it feels unclear.

I feel like it's a true committee that Leon presides over.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,081

Post#304 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 pm

aggo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Since Thibs is a mediocre loser who elevates nothing and his ability to f*ck up as a front office executive is well documented from his time in Minnesota, and Leon Rose is a pastrami eating clown who leaves basketball decisions to others, who is the architect of of the current Knick team, whose vision are we seeing in system\player acquisition?

Because the Knicks certainly have "types" when it comes to role players.

I get that because Brunson is so good, he's elevating the role players, and Brunson has ties to both Leon and Thibs, and it's possible that him being on the team and making it so good is a combination of scouting, type, and possibly luck revolving around CAA ties etc.

But deciding to add the Villanova cats, with their tenacity and commitment to winning above stats etc, adding a tough passing center in iHart who is an excellent fit with them, dealing out real young talent in RJ and IQ for a perfectly fitting piece in OG, keeping McBride over Grimes, the theoretical benefit of Bogs being added, all this is someone's vision.

Aller is supposed to the capologist, the money guy, the valuation guy. That's in support of the vision.

Perrin is supposed to be the college scouting guru. Is he providing input on the pro level? Is he the main driver of which players are acquired?

Zanin, occasionally maligned on here, is pro player scouting. Is this his work?

Is it Rosas? We know he advocated for iHart. Strong pimp hand for a consultant if this is all him.

Is it Thibs, with the main vision, as the executives in the front office dance for this puppet master?
Excellent work for Mr Mediocrity, so called.

Or is it all the result of a committee? Seems unlikely based on anyone's experience working on committees

STATE YOUR CASE. SOMEONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

Alec Burks

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#305 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Lazy answer. Clearly star players make a team in the NBA. Yet it's also true that not just any collection of role players supports a star and also teams can lean into certain kinds of role players. Who on the Knicks is driving the roster construction and playing style\approach\vision?

Not sure its lazy...Brunson elite work ethic moved our needle more than anything.

But I guess its a chicken before the egg type thing...would we have Brunson without Leon Rose' connection with Rick and Jalen? So I guess if you are playing that game then the credit would go to Leon for getting Brunson here?

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#306 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:02 pm

Capn'O wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I feel like it's a true committee that Leon presides over.

Leon's Gang of Five
Knicks Basketball Politburo
Knicks Cultural Revolution and Five Year Plan
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#307 » by Gravy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Since Thibs is a mediocre loser who elevates nothing and his ability to f*ck up as a front office executive is well documented from his time in Minnesota, and Leon Rose is a pastrami eating clown who leaves basketball decisions to others, who is the architect of of the current Knick team, whose vision are we seeing in system\player acquisition?

I get that because Brunson is so good, he's elevating the role players, and Brunson has ties to both Leon and Thibs, and it's possible that him being on the team and making it so good is a combination of scouting, type, and possibly luck revolving around CAA ties etc.

But deciding to add the Villanova cats, with their tenacity and commitment to winning above stats etc, adding a tough passing center in iHart who is an excellent fit with them, dealing out real young talent in RJ and IQ for a perfectly fitting piece in OG, keeping McBride over Grimes, the theoretical benefit of Bogs being added, all this is someone's vision.

Aller is supposed to the capologist, the money guy, the valuation guy. That's in support of the vision.

Perrin is supposed to be the college scouting guru. Is he providing input on the pro level? Is he the main driver of which players are acquired?

Is it Rosas? We know he advocated for iHart. Strong pimp hand for a consultant if this is all him.

Is it Thibs, with the main vision, as the executives in the front office dance for this puppet master?

Or is it all the result of a committee? Seems unlikely based on anyone's experience working on committees

Knicks and Rangers! His vision has finally been fulfilled

stuporman
RealGM

Post#308 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 pm

It will be funny when Rose trades for Mitchell(or KAT) and moves Thibs upstairs to promote Bryant then everyone will be happy...right? Right? Everyone will be happy...stfu I said everyone will be happy...I mean...and you will like it.
Image?
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,987

Post#309 » by RHODEY » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 pm

Three huge wins on the road while severely unmanned and we find something to bitch about... :D
stuporman
RealGM

Post#310 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 pm

Gravy wrote:

Knicks and Rangers! His vision has finally been fulfilled

...and we have a loser!!!

Not you...the guy in the pic.
Image?
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#311 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:06 pm

RHODEY wrote:Three huge wins on the road while severely unmanned and we find something to bitch about... :D

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#312 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:06 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Not sure its lazy...Brunson elite work ethic moved our needle more than anything.

But I guess its a chicken before the egg type thing...would we have Brunson without Leon Rose' connection with Rick and Jalen? So I guess if you are playing that game then the credit would go to Leon for getting Brunson here?

No game. I don't know. Again, Brunson clearly elevates the team but there are definitive choices in role players.
IShart...Hart, Donte. There are half a dozen guys as good or better than each, in the role player category. But they specifically targeted these guys. Who drives that?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,082

Post#313 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:08 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
basically this.

its a medical staff thing but thibs is a part of that. Because his tenure in NY isn't the first time this has happened. He played Derrick Rose and Loul Deng and Noah huge minutes and a lot of those guys had much shorter careers. Can everything be blamed on him...no absolutely not and he is a successful coach and people certainly compliment him on his relentless attention to detail and preparation especially in the regular season.

But like you said there is a reason sports scientists brought in load management and minutes restrictions because while you can't prevent every injury you can also be smart about certain things to not compound them.

He's got that "if he dies, he dies" mentality as long as we are wining.

Rose was on a one way track to getting injured regardless of who is coach was IMO. The way he moved so violently had no long term viability and that was pre-modern sports science emphasis where they could have taught him how to land better, move more efficiently, etc. Most of those uber athletic point guards from that era have had pretty short lived peaks or have struggled with injuries. John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Ja Morant and countless other examples.

I'd argue Luol Deng and Noah had pretty standard length careers with normal peaks and fall off. Maybe a tad bit early but both basically found their way out of the league at around 34 years old which is pretty standard for non top 10 star level talents. Noah may have been a bit earlier than he should have been I can give you that one because once he hit 30 he basically couldn't start anymore.

Deng and Noah while they continued to play were nearly the same player from ealier in there careers...I mean Noah was around for his tenure here but was he really here? Deng had stints in other players but was pretty much shot.

Jimmy Butler certainly hasn't been a model of health. He has only surpassed 60 games played once since 2016-17...he has been avg about 30 or so missed games a season for better part of a decade.

Taj probably only one who's had any sort of longevity for a player that has played a majority of his career under thibs. Like I said its not a perfect science but there are certain trends to not be ignored.

Rose injury could obviously happen to anyone he also game into the league for 3 straight years and played nearly 40 mins a night. Again not going to specifically say Rose ACL was destroyed by thibs you may be right his violent actions could have been a ticking time bomb but again we are dealing with sample size here.

I'm just curious do you think that is all just bad luck because looking throughout league certainly every coach doesn't deal with this.

The people defending Tom on this are hilarious, because

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2xq49p/how_much_blame_if_any_does_tom_thibodeau_deserve/

This is a 9 year old thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/801bva/deleted_by_user/

This thread is 6 years old, the main post was deleted but this is the title from google search "At what point do we start blaming Tom Thibodeau for player's ..."

viewtopic.php?t=1665206

This thread is also 6 years old.

How the hell is this just coincidence that for a decade plus people are asking the same exact question, he's doing the same exact thing he did with those teams and players dropping like flies in other spots, but here's it's just pure co-inky-dink that it's happened again :lol: It's obvious, he plays guys like it's the playoffs all throughout the regular season, it's why we also see a drop off from some of his players in the playoffs because intensity ramps up and other teams match the minutes so his edge over them in the regular season declines.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#314 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Lazy answer. Clearly star players make a team in the NBA. Yet it's also true that not just any collection of role players supports a star and also teams can lean into certain kinds of role players. Who on the Knicks is driving the roster construction and playing style\approach\vision?

No game. I don't know. Again, Brunson clearly elevates the team but there are definitive choices in role players.
IShart...Hart, Donte. There are half a dozen guys as good or better than each, in the role player category. But they specifically targeted these guys. Who drives that?

of course there is a theme and common characteristic of role players selfless, tough, hard working...I clear direction I think is shared from the FO, to the Coach, to the players...not sure one person can specifically get all the credit since it seems everyone has there niche of helping the team.

Dolan hiring Leon
Leon hiring WWW
Leon bringing hin his buddy and tough minded detail oriented coach Thibs
Thibs building his staff and Leon knowing what players thibs likes and can thrive in his system and under his coaching.
Having a selfless leader being your best player in Brunson
Acquiring players that share the same belief and fit into there roles and culture.

its just a trickle down. seems like a family affair.

ROSTER

stuporman
RealGM

Post#315 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 pm

I'm convinced, Thibs is the problem.

The Knicks would be tied with the Celtics in record if they had a different coach. Which coach? It's obvious that (insert coach) would be able to win more games with his OR HER players playing less mins.

Basketball Becky is in the Pops coaching tree and would squeeze so much more out of 2B Brunson than Thibs is...just a thought.
Image?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#316 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:15 pm

DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Nah, it's all Thibs

Brunson is a bum, OG sucks, Randle sucks, everyone sucks. Any other coach in the league would have us looking like the Wizards.

Look at Dot taking it personally.
This is a separate question and direction from Thibs coaching ability.
I think it's valid that if Thibs is a mediocre coaching mind he'd be hard pressed to assemble a well fitting roster, since it's also accepted wisdom that it's best to keep Thibs hands off a roster based on the TWolves trainwreck he presided over, trade wise etc.
So it's not Thibs or someone is modifying his decisions. Rosa's? Perrin?
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#317 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:19 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

of course there is a theme and common characteristic of role players selfless, tough, hard working...I clear direction I think is shared from the FO, to the Coach, to the players...not sure one person can specifically get all the credit since it seems everyone has there niche of helping the team.

Dolan hiring Leon
Leon hiring WWW
Leon bringing hin his buddy and tough minded detail oriented coach Thibs
Thibs building his staff and Leon knowing what players thibs likes and can thrive in his system and under his coaching.
Having a selfless leader being your best player in Brunson
Acquiring players that share the same belief and fit into there roles and culture.

its just a trickle down. seems like a family affair.

It probably is. It's interesting to me this is working. Generally it's one person with the main vision and then those who support it, where the Knicks are very tight lipped and who actually does what not clear with Leon's media silence
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#318 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Deng and Noah while they continued to play were nearly the same player from ealier in there careers...I mean Noah was around for his tenure here but was he really here? Deng had stints in other players but was pretty much shot.

Rose injury could obviously happen to anyone he also game into the league for 3 straight years and played nearly 40 mins a night. Again not going to specifically say Rose ACL was destroyed by thibs you may be right his violent actions could have been a ticking time bomb but again we are dealing with sample size here.

The people defending Tom on this are hilarious, because

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2xq49p/how_much_blame_if_any_does_tom_thibodeau_deserve/

This is a 9 year old thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/801bva/deleted_by_user/

This thread is 6 years old, the main post was deleted but this is the title from google search "At what point do we start blaming Tom Thibodeau for player's ..."

viewtopic.php?t=1665206

This thread is also 6 years old.

How the hell is this just coincidence that for a decade plus people are asking the same exact question, he's doing the same exact thing he did with those teams and players dropping like flies in other spots, but here's it's just pure co-inky-dink that it's happened again :lol: It's obvious, he plays guys like it's the playoffs all throughout the regular season, it's why we also see a drop off from some of his players in the playoffs because intensity ramps up and other teams match the minutes so his edge over them in the regular season declines.

yeah by no means am I saying he's a bad coach...he's actually good to very good in the areas he excels at but you also can't sit on the other end and say he hasn't had the talent to win, when most of the time his talent is hurt going into the playoffs and if it was a couple years that would be one thing...its every year...that can't be a coincidence.

ROSTER

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,655

Post#319 » by j4remi » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,284

Post#320 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:21 pm

stuporman wrote:It will be funny when Rose trades for Mitchell(or KAT) and moves Thibs upstairs to promote Bryant then everyone will be happy...right? Right? Everyone will be happy...stfu I said everyone will be happy...I mean...and you will like it.

Ha. I would be nervous. Maybe Thibs has learned something about how to be a good exec but the first go-around was not good.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks