ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,786

Re: PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids 

Post#321 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:No game. I don't know. Again, Brunson clearly elevates the team but there are definitive choices in role players.
IShart...Hart, Donte. There are half a dozen guys as good or better than each, in the role player category. But they specifically targeted these guys. Who drives that?

of course there is a theme and common characteristic of role players selfless, tough, hard working...I clear direction I think is shared from the FO, to the Coach, to the players...not sure one person can specifically get all the credit since it seems everyone has there niche of helping the team.

Dolan hiring Leon
Leon hiring WWW
Leon bringing hin his buddy and tough minded detail oriented coach Thibs
Thibs building his staff and Leon knowing what players thibs likes and can thrive in his system and under his coaching.
Having a selfless leader being your best player in Brunson
Acquiring players that share the same belief and fit into there roles and culture.

its just a trickle down. seems like a family affair.

It probably is. It's interesting to me this is working. Generally it's one person with the main vision and then those who support it, where the Knicks are very tight lipped and who actually does what not clear with Leon's media silence

yeah its certainly not like a Sam Presti situation...Leon value def seems to be hire smart people and preside and be a final decision maker but he certainly values hiring good people and lets them do what they do best.

Like let Thibs coach that is what he does
Let the FO make the decisions but with input from a lot of different people.

Seems like a joint effort where everyone contributes and its working.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#322 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm

Gravy wrote:Its much easier to win in the post season when you've got prime Curry, Klay, Draymond, KD, Lebron, Wade, Jokic, Giannis, Tatum with stacked rosters surrounding them. Thibs got Nerlens Noel, Reggie Bullock and Randle as starters. Its not the same thing

Agreed. Like I've said before, when Randle is your only real shot creator and defacto PG (which he was until Brunson arrived) you aren't going to be able to win much of anything.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#323 » by j4remi » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Don't be cowards everyone. Answer my question regarding who is the true architect of this Knick team. Put your answer down for posterity.

Jalen Brunson becoming a top 10 player in the NBA is why we are where we are...all the other stuff is nice and good but you need an elite player to win in the NBA...and we now have one.

Now having that player doesn't guarantee anything....Leon/WWW/Thibs culture has helped along with us identifying good tough hard working role players.

Like I said before we basically have built the modern day AI sixers model. With Brunson being a more EFF 3 level scorer then AI.

Lazy answer. Clearly star players make a team in the NBA. Yet it's also true that not just any collection of role players supports a star and also teams can lean into certain kinds of role players. Who on the Knicks is driving the roster construction and playing style\approach\vision?

It's interesting that it feels unclear.

It's very clear actually. Jay Wright.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,099

Post#324 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:25 pm

What does worldwide Wes actually do?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,176

Post#325 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 pm

Leon did snag Brunson... so maybe he gets more cookies than simply presiding. I doubt he was heavy into getting, say, Deuce McBride though.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,828

Post#326 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
basically this.

its a medical staff thing but thibs is a part of that. Because his tenure in NY isn't the first time this has happened. He played Derrick Rose and Loul Deng and Noah huge minutes and a lot of those guys had much shorter careers. Can everything be blamed on him...no absolutely not and he is a successful coach and people certainly compliment him on his relentless attention to detail and preparation especially in the regular season.

But like you said there is a reason sports scientists brought in load management and minutes restrictions because while you can't prevent every injury you can also be smart about certain things to not compound them.

He's got that "if he dies, he dies" mentality as long as we are wining.

Rose was on a one way track to getting injured regardless of who is coach was IMO. The way he moved so violently had no long term viability and that was pre-modern sports science emphasis where they could have taught him how to land better, move more efficiently, etc. Most of those uber athletic point guards from that era have had pretty short lived peaks or have struggled with injuries. John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Ja Morant and countless other examples.

I'd argue Luol Deng and Noah had pretty standard length careers with normal peaks and fall off. Maybe a tad bit early but both basically found their way out of the league at around 34 years old which is pretty standard for non top 10 star level talents. Noah may have been a bit earlier than he should have been I can give you that one because once he hit 30 he basically couldn't start anymore.

Also Taj and Jimmy sort of debunk that narrative as well.

Deng and Noah while they continued to play were nearly the same player from earlier in there careers...I mean Noah was around for his tenure here but was he really here? Deng had stints in other places but was pretty much shot.

Jimmy Butler certainly hasn't been a model of health. He has only surpassed 60 games played once since 2016-17...he has been avg about 30 or so missed games a season for better part of a decade.

Taj probably only one who's had any sort of longevity for a player that has played a majority of his career under thibs. Like I said its not a perfect science but there are certain trends to not be ignored.

Rose injury could obviously happen to anyone he also came into the league for 3 straight years and played nearly 40 mins a night for 80 games + playoffs. Again not going to specifically say Rose ACL was destroyed by thibs you may be right his violent actions could have been a ticking time bomb but again we are dealing with sample size here.

Last year...injuries caught up to us
knick vs atl we lost because we weren't healthy
minnesota jimmy butler was banged up all season
chicago teams were always limping to the finish line with injuries.

I'm just curious do you think that is all just bad luck because looking throughout league certainly every coach doesn't deal with this.

I'm not saying Thibs doesn't demand a lot and may lead to some injuries but, this notion that he's the only guy who seems to have injury problems late into the season is so laughably and purposefully ignorant to me which is why people have been accusing you of having an agenda. Also last year's injuries were 3 sprained ankles... How you want to blame that on Thibs is beyond me :lol:? Next time Thibs won't have Julius,IQ and Brunson step in the wrong direction... Also those Bulls teams not making the finals had more to do with Rose having his knee blow up 3 years into his career...If you want to blame Thibs for that go ahead... but it's probably not rooted in any sports science fact just FYI.

Let's take a look at just some recent non-Thibs examples nevermind older ones:

KD/Kyrie/Harden Nets
Pre-Finals run Nuggets always dealt with injuries
Lakers with AD/Bron
Embiid Sixers
Clippers
Grizzlies this year have been ravaged by injuries
End of KD Warriors
Kyrie in the finals for the Cavs

Point being injuries are a part of the game everywhere. A lot of it simply comes down to timing of injuries and when they occur more than anything. Thibs may play a part I can concede that at least a little for sure but, this idea that he's some terrorist who ruins the health bill everywhere he goes is far fetched. Every team has dealt with injuries especially come playoff time. The players flat out tell us this. Some can play through more than others. Don't think Thibs is especially worse with this than anyone else. Generally speaking even with the injuries his teams have always either over achieved or performed to realistic expectations come playoff time IMO.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#327 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:What does worldwide Wes actually do?

No idea, but apparently he wanted Quickley.
BAF Clippers

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#328 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:27 pm

Capn'O wrote:Leon did snag Brunson... so maybe he gets more cookies than simply presiding. I doubt he was heavy into getting, say, Deuce McBride though.

no but they specifically targeted Walt Perrin to run the draft...and when he was in Utah he had a pretty good draft record in terms of figuring out tough players that would thrive in playing in Utah (because that is a different animal then NY) but I think the same principles can apply. Trying to find players that wont be distracted and live and breath basketball....

ROSTER

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#329 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Don't be cowards everyone. Answer my question regarding who is the true architect of this Knick team. Put your answer down for posterity.

The true architect?

I mean the same way you have to blame the FO for building a poor team you have to credit the FO for building a terrific team. That doesn't mean betting the house on a championship (nor that they've not made mistakes) but I'd have to say after some rough bumps Rose and his team has managed to put together a cast of characters the sum of which are better than the individual parts. Some luck and right guesses thrown in.

So have to go with Rose (and his team) as the primary architect. But as anyone that actually has watched this game for decades and decades a front office can't win without the right coach and players, just like a coach can't win with the right front office or players nor superstar win without the right front office or coach. So should credit Thibs for sure (there are more talented teams that aren't winning and looked like they're running a couple wheels short) as well as their players (Brunson obviously leading that).

So yeah, Rose for building the team, Thibs for coaching the heck out of this team and players like Brunson and Hart for leading this team on the floor and setting the winning tone.

At the end of the day folks don't realize that MJ (the GOAT) didn't win by himself (he needed the right coach and the right teammates), Red Auerbach didn't win by himself as the coach (he had more all-star/super-star level players on his teams than any other team by far), etc,. It takes everything and everyone to architect a winner.

Also before anyone has a conniption, it doesn't mean the Knicks are the best architected team, Rose the best decision maker, Thibs the best coach or Brunson the best player. Just means that they have all 3 parts that are key to building great teams doing real well.
aromeoj
Senior
And1: 621

Post#330 » by aromeoj » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Since Thibs is a mediocre loser who elevates nothing and his ability to f*ck up as a front office executive is well documented from his time in Minnesota, and Leon Rose is a pastrami eating clown who leaves basketball decisions to others, who is the architect of of the current Knick team, whose vision are we seeing in system\player acquisition?

Because the Knicks certainly have "types" when it comes to role players.

I get that because Brunson is so good, he's elevating the role players, and Brunson has ties to both Leon and Thibs, and it's possible that him being on the team and making it so good is a combination of scouting, type, and possibly luck revolving around CAA ties etc.

But deciding to add the Villanova cats, with their tenacity and commitment to winning above stats etc, adding a tough passing center in iHart who is an excellent fit with them, dealing out real young talent in RJ and IQ for a perfectly fitting piece in OG, keeping McBride over Grimes, the theoretical benefit of Bogs being added, all this is someone's vision.

Aller is supposed to the capologist, the money guy, the valuation guy. That's in support of the vision.

Perrin is supposed to be the college scouting guru. Is he providing input on the pro level? Is he the main driver of which players are acquired?

Zanin, occasionally maligned on here, is pro player scouting. Is this his work?

Is it Rosas? We know he advocated for iHart. Strong pimp hand for a consultant if this is all him.

Is it Thibs, with the main vision, as the executives in the front office dance for this puppet master?
Excellent work for Mr Mediocrity, so called.

Or is it all the result of a committee? Seems unlikely based on anyone's experience working on committees

STATE YOUR CASE. SOMEONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

Wrote an essay to make you happy since you had to go ALL CAPS!!! LOL

In the complex and highly competitive world of NBA basketball, attributing a team's success to a single individual oversimplifies the intricate dynamics at play. The New York Knicks' resurgence is a prime example of a multifaceted achievement, built on the collective efforts of players, coaching staff, and front office executives. It's essential to recognize that in such a team-oriented sport, success is rarely the product of one person's vision or effort.

First and foremost, the players on the court, including stars and role players alike, are the ones executing strategies and making the plays that lead to wins. Jalen Brunson's outstanding performances certainly elevate the team, but his success, and by extension the team's, hinges on the synergy with his teammates, including the tenacity of the Villanova alumni and the strategic fit of players like iHart and OG. This chemistry doesn't happen by accident; it's cultivated through careful player selection and development. Also players are learning how to play this way for the first time and it is contagious.

The coaching staff, led by Tom Thibodeau, plays a pivotal role in developing game plans, fostering player development, and creating an environment where players can thrive. While opinions on Thibodeau's coaching style may vary, the improvement in team performance and player development under his tenure is tangible. Coaches extract the best out of their rosters, adapting strategies to maximize each player's strengths and mitigate weaknesses. Thibs does a great job of finding people like Duece who fit his architect of a player.

Behind the scenes, the front office, including Leon Rose and others, work on assembling a team that fits a coherent vision. This involves scouting, drafting, trades, and managing contracts—a complex puzzle requiring insight, foresight, and a bit of luck. The acquisitions of key players and the decision to prioritize certain attributes in players reflect a strategic approach to team building. Brock Aller's financial acumen and Walt Perrin's scouting expertise, along with contributions from others like Gersson Rosas, underline the collective effort involved in shaping the roster.

Furthermore, the success of any NBA team is also supported by an extensive team of analysts, trainers, scouts, and support staff, each contributing in their own unique ways to the team's achievements.

In summary, while it's tempting to search for a singular architect behind the Knicks' success, the reality is far more complex. It's the result of strategic planning, collaborative effort, and the shared vision of many individuals within the organization. Recognizing the contributions of each member, from the front office to the bench, offers a more nuanced and accurate picture of how success is built in the NBA.

This is not done by accident but through a clear strategic plan and vision which the New York Knickerbockers have done.

Twitter: aromeoj | Instagram: aromeoj | Sports Marketer | Sneakerhead
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,376

Post#331 » by F N 11 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:39 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
F N 11 wrote:This summer the big trade happens and we go for it.

Read on Twitter
?s=46

i wonder how this team looks like healthy and a year of chemistry. we might not need that big star. also could be wishful thinking on my end but just wanted to put that out there

Team look like 04 Pistons if healthy. However I know we ain’t using them picks. I know a trade coming.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#332 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:40 pm

Capn'O wrote:
stuporman wrote:It will be funny when Rose trades for Mitchell(or KAT) and moves Thibs upstairs to promote Bryant then everyone will be happy...right? Right? Everyone will be happy...stfu I said everyone will be happy...I mean...and you will like it.

Ha. I would be nervous. Maybe Thibs has learned something about how to be a good exec but the first go-around was not good.

He will be a coaching exec, he would supervise all coaching activities from his film goon cave.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#333 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Leon did snag Brunson... so maybe he gets more cookies than simply presiding. I doubt he was heavy into getting, say, Deuce McBride though.

no but they specifically targeted Walt Perrin to run the draft...and when he was in Utah he had a pretty good draft record in terms of figuring out tough players that would thrive in playing in Utah (because that is a different animal then NY) but I think the same principles can apply. Trying to find players that wont be distracted and live and breath basketball....

Then the addition of Rosas has tightened our trade and FA targets. Aller keeps the numbers aligned.

It's a good group.
BAF Clippers

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#334 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:42 pm

stuporman wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
stuporman wrote:It will be funny when Rose trades for Mitchell(or KAT) and moves Thibs upstairs to promote Bryant then everyone will be happy...right? Right? Everyone will be happy...stfu I said everyone will be happy...I mean...and you will like it.

Ha. I would be nervous. Maybe Thibs has learned something about how to be a good exec but the first go-around was not good.

He will be a coaching exec, he would supervise all coaching activities from his film goon cave.

:lol:
BAF Clippers

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,504

Post#335 » by sol537 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:44 pm

The Bogs + Burks trade gives me some pause but nearly everything else the NYK brain trust has done since Rose has taken over has been tremendous for us and turned us into a contender (when healthy). Incredible. Rose can keep the keys for the next 5-10 years as far as I'm concerned.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,164

Post#336 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:What does worldwide Wes actually do?

When McKinsey does there audit and asks Wes what would you say you do here

Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#337 » by mpharris36 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 pm

Capn'O wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Then the addition of Rosas has tightened our trade and FA targets. Aller keeps the numbers aligned.

It's a good group.

it is...there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen but they seem to be working well together.

ROSTER

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,063

Post#338 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm

RHODEY wrote:Three huge wins on the road while severely unmanned and we find something to bitch about... :D

thibs is a bad coach and should be fired! :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#339 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 pm

When the Knicks lose to the Celtics in 6 in the second round on the Celtics way to losing in the finals to the Nuggets all summer long it will be said it's Thibs fault...not anything else, just Thibs.

This will also inspire Rose to make that 'star' trade for one of the two hurting players available(DMitch/KAT) and that will rekindle the Thibs runs his players into the ground debate so warn of the impending doom.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#340 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:What's really dawned on me post trade deadline this season is how well Leon has adjusted this roster's fit and cohesion while making fairly minimal talent upgrades in the process.

Last year the Heat exposed the Knicks as a team who could really only win if they could out tough you. The Heat matched the physicality of the Knicks and ultimately won because the Knicks did not have the requisite pieces to adjust their strategy to win.

Now Curry said it last night... This Knicks roster even as currently constructed at not 100% health has an answer for almost anything you can throw at them.

You want to try to bully ball us? Fine here's a Precious/IHart frontcourt that can bang with anyone down low.

You want to try and space us out and attack us that way? Here's Hart/OG/Precious at the 3/4/5 mucking up any guard or wings advantage you seem to think to have.

You wanna blitz Brunson? IHart is going to torch you on the short roll because he has great vision and the Knicks have enough shooting to keep the help honest.

You wanna drop on Brunson? Pull ups for days.

You think your lead ball handler can attack us in the pick and roll? Great! Here's Deuce smothering said option...

There's just no way to really tactically take advantage of this Knicks team as currently constructed and I can say that with full confidence and it's a credit to Leon and the FO learning from either missteps in the past and correcting them in the best way possible or seeing the limitations of the young players they had and moving them on for better fitting pieces.

If you're going to beat this team, you're going to need a helluva lot of talent and be on point for 48 minutes because even if we're not the most talented team in the league we may just be the most deep and versatile one and that can be just as deadly.

This is a great point and doesn't even account for what we can do with Randle who can alternate as a bully or a spacer and helps give us a massive advantage on the boards vs. most spacing teams. We're a tough team for anyone but he makes us a tough team for Boston if he can get his head on right in the playoffs.
BAF Clippers

Return to New York Knicks