ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Brunson thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Are you excited to have a point guard finally

Yes
85%
No
8%
Still recovering from the donovan mitchell fiasco
7%

Total votes: 89

Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,367

Re: Jalen Brunson thread 

Post#41 » by Fury » Tue Sep 6, 2022 2:47 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He's a 20ppg scorer if he's given the type of touches Alec Burks got as a starter. In the playoffs Brunson averaged 21.6ppg on 66.9 touches per game, Burks averages 70.6 touches as a starter.

He's going to have a breakout season.

Brunson and Grimes are basically the only two things im looking forward to this season

Damn not even Randle

Team IQ leader my ass
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,964

Post#42 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 6, 2022 3:13 am

nedleeds wrote:Older for his contract, limited physically, great shooter, mediocre defender, awesome team spirit guy who won't act like a ho when we're losing.

Probably gives us 8-10 more wins over just playing and developing I.Q. and having Rose get injured as the backup forcing Thibs to play Deuce or some other young tanklord.

So overall no I'm not excited, but it's not Jalen Brunson's fault, he's a good player who should have gone to a good team or stayed in Dallas.
26 is "older" for his contract?
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 5,003

Post#43 » by 8516knicks » Tue Sep 6, 2022 3:21 am

RHODEY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:Older for his contract, limited physically, great shooter, mediocre defender, awesome team spirit guy who won't act like a ho when we're losing.

Probably gives us 8-10 more wins over just playing and developing I.Q. and having Rose get injured as the backup forcing Thibs to play Deuce or some other young tanklord.

So overall no I'm not excited, but it's not Jalen Brunson's fault, he's a good player who should have gone to a good team or stayed in Dallas.

Now I'm curious where JB stands on the youngest to get a $100M contract list? Anyone know?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,726

Post#44 » by DOT » Tue Sep 6, 2022 12:49 pm

8516knicks wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Now I'm curious where JB stands on the youngest to get a $100M contract list? Anyone know?

I don't know, but here's a website you might be able to find out on:

www.google.com
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,543

Post#45 » by robillionaire » Tue Sep 6, 2022 1:45 pm

Fury wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He's a 20ppg scorer if he's given the type of touches Alec Burks got as a starter. In the playoffs Brunson averaged 21.6ppg on 66.9 touches per game, Burks averages 70.6 touches as a starter.

Brunson and Grimes are basically the only two things im looking forward to this season

Damn not even Randle

Team IQ leader my ass

I’m only looking forward to Randle and IQ
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,543

Post#46 » by robillionaire » Tue Sep 6, 2022 1:47 pm

I’m hoping that Brunson can give us about what D Rose did two years ago but a younger and healthier version

What I’m really curious about his how well he can distribute the ball because we know based on the playoffs he can score. I usually like high assist PGs
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#47 » by nedleeds » Tue Sep 6, 2022 2:37 pm

RHODEY wrote:

He's 26 and getting his first non draft contract. Actually very old for an NBA player. He signed a 4 year deal for almost the minimum as a 2nd rounder. RJ just signed his 2nd and is 22. Brunson's rookie year was his age 22 season.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#48 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 6, 2022 5:26 pm

nedleeds wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

He's 26 and getting his first non draft contract. Actually very old for an NBA player. He signed a 4 year deal for almost the minimum as a 2nd rounder. RJ just signed his 2nd and is 22. Brunson's rookie year was his age 22 season.

We have his prime years...I don't see a problem.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,422

Post#49 » by NYKat » Tue Sep 6, 2022 5:40 pm

A lot of people think the kid has another gear to get to and will be unlocked because he’ll be able to play his natural position full time as opposed to having to play off ball with Luka…

It’ll be great to see how much of an impact he has on the offense
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#50 » by N Y K » Tue Sep 6, 2022 5:51 pm

I just hope I have something fun to watch next year.
knicksstuff
Sophomore
And1: 298

Post#51 » by knicksstuff » Tue Sep 6, 2022 6:11 pm

I think we/media have under estimated how much of an imporvement Brunson and a hopefully Healthy Rose will be to our Point Guard rotation.... I can see them adding another 3-5 wins based on their play alone
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,512

Post#52 » by sol537 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:23 pm

Brunson gonna lead us to 42-42 and potentially make the all-star team.

Brunson + Grimes backcourt will be fun.

RJ will get to 22pts 7rb 4ast and finally get some recognition.

Mitch and Hart will be one of the better center duos in the league until Sims has to take over for Mitch when injuries hit.

The PF spot is the biggest questions mark. IQ will start budding into a 6MOY type guy slowly but surely...
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#53 » by nedleeds » Tue Sep 6, 2022 10:03 pm

RHODEY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
RHODEY wrote:26 is "older" for his contract?

I didn't necessarily say it was a problem, it's not ideal. I don't want his prime years while we're awful. Contrast that with him being 22. He'd fit far better with a re-building non-competitive situation, which we are.

We'll capture his 26-30 seasons, win nothing except 8-10 games that kill our draft position then he'll be 30 and potentially want a big deal. Again I think he's a positive player overall, he'd likely be our best player even if we only get 90% of his efficiency.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#54 » by RHODEY » Tue Sep 6, 2022 11:20 pm

nedleeds wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

I didn't necessarily say it was a problem, it's not ideal. I don't want his prime years while we're awful. Contrast that with him being 22. He'd fit far better with a re-building non-competitive situation, which we are.

We'll capture his 26-30 seasons, win nothing except 8-10 games that kill our draft position then he'll be 30 and potentially want a big deal. Again I think he's a positive player overall, he'd likely be our best player even if we only get 90% of his efficiency.

Well that's the conundrum, to get good we have to start adding good player. I see your point in a vacuum. But remember its a process.... unless your are the 2008 Celts, the Heatles or the Nets.

You say we are in a non competitive situation, but I say we could be solid. The competition for 1-6 (even 1-9) in the East is fierce AF. So I understand being solid doesn't guarantee us playoffs. But so what? As long we improve internally while these superior teams battle it out.

Then when some of them - Like Miami -Like the Sixers or the Nets - start to fall off, we will be on an ascending arc.

Not a bad thing IMO is along as one takes a less myopic view of things. I'm personally happy we didn't blow our load on DM but we still added a very key piece(s). Really this season is going to be so fun. We don't have expectations but we definitely improved, and we got a bunch of young players with something to prove.

And then on top of that if we don't make the playoffs we have the deepest draft since ...whenever to fall back on. They are saying its up to 8-10 deep with All star potential types. I cant wait.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#55 » by nedleeds » Tue Sep 6, 2022 11:30 pm

RHODEY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Well that's the conundrum, to get good we have to start adding good player. I see your point in a vacuum. But remember its a process.... unless your are the 2008 Celts, the Heatles or the Nets.

You say we are in a non competitive situation, but I say we could be solid. The competition for 1-6 (even 1-9) in the East is fierce AF. So I understand being solid doesn't guarantee us playoffs. But so what? As long we improve internally while these superior teams battle it out.

Fair point.

It's not out of the question that one of the 20-24 year olds take a big jump. I don't think it's likely, but look at Darius Garland, Anfernee Simmons and even Miles Bridges. If RJ is a 40% 3-point shooter like the empty arena season because he's getting hit in the shooting pocket in the corner from Brunson, and Mitch has a legit pick and roll operator (Brunson was elite with a far far far worse center in Dwight Powell and a pick and pop in KP) we could be a 6th or 5th seed.

The other upside to Brunson is potentially making our role players look much better. Elfrid Payton made everyone worse because nobody guarded him. Brunson has to be guarded at the 3 point line and draws a huge paint crowd.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,076

Post#56 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 7, 2022 1:19 pm

It’s still fk Trae young szn
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,477

Post#57 » by GONYK » Wed Sep 7, 2022 5:56 pm

I'll just say Jalen Brunson is my favorite Villanova Wildcat ever (wresting the mantle from Kyle Lowry) and I will personally enjoy every day he's a Knick
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,405

Post#58 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 7, 2022 6:53 pm

RHODEY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Then when some of them - Like Miami -Like the Sixers or the Nets - start to fall off, we will be on an ascending arc.

Not a bad thing IMO is along as one takes a less myopic view of things. I'm personally happy we didn't blow our load on DM but we still added a very key piece(s). Really this season is going to be so fun. We don't have expectations but we definitely improved, and we got a bunch of young players with something to prove.

And then on top of that if we don't make the playoffs we have the deepest draft since ...whenever to fall back on. They are saying its up to 8-10 deep with All star potential types. I cant wait.

And remember, when things are going well ...........

This Is Fine
Spoiler:

This is Not

Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 599

Post#59 » by Spot31 » Wed Sep 7, 2022 9:54 pm

For 100 million he better start averaging double digit assists to be considered a legit PG.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#60 » by stuporman » Thu Sep 8, 2022 12:20 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job

Return to New York Knicks