ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,291

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19) 

Post#561 » by Jeffrey » Mon May 13, 2024 7:26 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Clifford & Sproat have been promoted to AA. Sproat has been lights out, and too good for high A. (4.3 hits per 9, 1.07 era), though his walk rate needs to come down, but the stuff is getting high praise and guys who watch minor leaguers say he has a higher ceiling than Tidwell. Mets are very happy with this draft pick.

It took just 25 minor league innings for Sproat to reach AA. That's fast.

Clifford has been struggling, but 32 walks in 31 games, I wonder how many pitchers are just trying to pitch around the big fella, and Brooklyn isn't an easy park for lefties. So, even if the stats aren't there, the Mets like what they saw enough to promote him.

In the further down the list category, Nick Morabito continues his solid season. He got promoted to Brooklyn about a week ago, and in 5 games, he's 6 for 18 with 4 walks and 4 Ks. If he keeps this up he might break the Mets top 15 or 20 prospects by mid year or end of year, in a deep system. A speed guy not a power guy, but can play CF.

Finally, Jeffry Rosa might be a sleeper top 20 prospect by year end too. The 19 year old was recently promoted to low-A from FCL. He's played 7 games this year and hit 3 homers, after hitting 15 homers and slugging .669 in the Dominican league last year. Strong kid who seems to have a talent for the long ball. Another one to watch this year.

Kevin Parada is starting to heat up. Last 5 games...

.304/.360/.609 2 HR 8 RBIs
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,570

Post#562 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:34 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Clifford & Sproat have been promoted to AA. Sproat has been lights out, and too good for high A. (4.3 hits per 9, 1.07 era), though his walk rate needs to come down, but the stuff is getting high praise and guys who watch minor leaguers say he has a higher ceiling than Tidwell. Mets are very happy with this draft pick.

Clifford has been struggling, but 32 walks in 31 games, I wonder how many pitchers are just trying to pitch around the big fella, and Brooklyn isn't an easy park for lefties. So, even if the stats aren't there, the Mets like what they saw enough to promote him.

In the further down the list category, Nick Morabito continues his solid season. He got promoted to Brooklyn about a week ago, and in 5 games, he's 6 for 18 with 4 walks and 4 Ks. If he keeps this up he might break the Mets top 15 or 20 prospects by mid year or end of year, in a deep system. A speed guy not a power guy, but can play CF.

Finally, Jeffry Rosa might be a sleeper top 20 prospect by year end too. The 19 year old was recently promoted to low-A from FCL. He's played 7 games this year and hit 3 homers, after hitting 15 homers and slugging .669 in the Dominican league last year. Strong kid who seems to have a talent for the long ball. Another one to watch this year.

Apparently he's awful behind the plate
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#563 » by Jeffrey » Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Oh that's always been the knock which I don't understand why you would draft a catcher that is horrid behind the plate. If he was average and the offensive output was there, I could see it.

At draft time, some thought he should move to OF ala Todd Hundley. I'm hoping he can pick up because no saw this coming with his bat. They all thought he had a plus-plus bat.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#564 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon May 13, 2024 8:04 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Oh that's always been the knock which I don't understand why you would draft a catcher that is horrid behind the plate. If he was average and the offensive output was there, I could see it.

At draft time, some thought he should move to OF ala Todd Hundley. I'm hoping he can pick up because no saw this coming with his bat. They all thought he had a plus-plus bat.

DH?
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#565 » by Jeffrey » Mon May 13, 2024 8:20 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

DH?

That spot is going to be taken by Alonso in 2 years.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#566 » by Jeffrey » Mon May 13, 2024 8:23 pm

BTW, What is everyone's feeling on the rumor that Mets offered 7/158 to Alonso per Sherman?

That's 22.5 per year average. It will take him through 30-37 years old.

or if we're out of the playoff picture, do we trade him to the Cubs or Seattle?
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,442

Post#567 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon May 13, 2024 10:47 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

They thought the bat was good enouogh, coming out of college, that he could move off catcher and still be useful, or play some catcher and some DH. Most mocks had him going before the mets picked, but he was there and the Mets jumped at the chance to draft him and now they probably regret it. Maybe the teams that picked 1-10 before the Mets knew something our team didn't.

He does have a 5 game hit streak going, but 9 Ks in those 5 games and a .417 babip. I hope he figures it out, but he has to cut down on the Ks.
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#568 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon May 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Jeffrey wrote:BTW, What is everyone's feeling on the rumor that Mets offered 7/158 to Alonso per Sherman?

Locked on Mets guy thinks the Mets probably made that offer to Pete a year ago, around the time Pete switched to Scott Boras. If they made that offer now, I think Pete might take it.
Now it's all about the off-season for my Knicks. (and rooting for Boston to crush Indiana).
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#569 » by Jeffrey » Mon May 13, 2024 11:37 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:BTW, What is everyone's feeling on the rumor that Mets offered 7/158 to Alonso per Sherman?

Locked on Mets guy thinks the Mets probably made that offer to Pete a year ago, around the time Pete switched to Scott Boras. If they made that offer now, I think Pete might take it.

Do you think it is reasonable? I'm sure Pete wants a NTC as well.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#570 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue May 14, 2024 12:51 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

I think that Pete will get $25 million per year
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#571 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue May 14, 2024 1:05 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

But for how many years? You saw what happened to the Boras clients in free agency this year? Long deals probably aren't a good investment. OK, for Nimmo it made sense. Lower per year, longer deal, lock him up, but (and feel free to disagree), Nimmo is a better player than Pete right now.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#572 » by Jeffrey » Tue May 14, 2024 5:41 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

But for how many years? You saw what happened to the Boras clients in free agency this year? Long deals probably aren't a good investment. OK, for Nimmo it made sense. Lower per year, longer deal, lock him up, but (and feel free to disagree), Nimmo is a better player than Pete right now.

I really can't fathom Alonso getting Freddie Freeman money but inflation happens. I'm pretty sure Alonso is hoping for a no-trade clause.

How many NTCs do we have? Nimmo, Lindor and Senga and Diaz. Alonso will be no.5 and if we go hard after Soto, that will be no.6
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#573 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I think that Pete will get $25 million per year

I really can't fathom Alonso getting Freddie Freeman money but inflation happens. I'm pretty sure Alonso is hoping for a no-trade clause.

How many NTCs do we have? Nimmo, Lindor and Senga and Diaz. Alonso will be no.5 and if we go hard after Soto, that will be no.6

I'm on the fence with Pete. One of the criticisms is that when he gets launch angle happy, and everything is a fly ball, then, sure he hits homers but his average plumets. He's 8 for his last 20, which is good, but before that he had a 2 for 37 stretch, so, I'm glad he's hit the ball well the last few games but I don't know if that merits a long contract.

Teams with as much money as the Mets probably shouldn't lock themselves into 7-8 year contracts unless they really like the player. The Mets had, at the time, basically zero OF prospects, so Nimmo's contract made sense. First basemen are pretty easy to replace. The Mets have Vientos & Clifford in the minors. THe kind of offer I'd personally make to Pete if I was in charge, is the kind of offer he'd probably turn down. Like 5-130, maybe 4-120.

He's 29. He'll be 30 and a few months on opening day next year. How many years do you trust him, and what is a 124 OPS+ first baseman really worth? That's what he's been 2023-2024.

At the same time, I also like him and wouldn't mind him being a met for the next 5-6 years. I don't know where I come down.

What do you think?
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#574 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed May 15, 2024 2:58 am

Some interesting news in Mets-land.

Wendle DFA'd, Vientos up. That means, until there's a corresponding move, the Mets are playing without a backup infielder. Baty is effectively the backup SS if Lindor needs time off the field, and McNeil's backup too at 2nd. That would be an interesting defensive setup if it happens.

Yohan Ramirez and his 8 something ERA is being designated for assignment (3rd time he's had that honor this year) and Luchessi is up. If Luchessi gets a start, that'll be the Mets are going with 6 starters for a bit and Houser staying in the pen, where he might be better. They may be trying to keep Christian Scott as rested as possible in the off-chance they need him for the playoffs. But that's just speculation. (The locked on Mets guy said that, so not just coming from me) - it's an option, not necessarily what they're doing.

I don't know how long they can keep Baty & Vientos on the roster, already with DH's DJ Stewart and JD Martinez. It's not good for defensive rotations, so if Vientos hits, Baty might see minors for a bit and I'm guessing, Jose Inglesias will get a look. Maybe Rylan Bannon, but probably Inglesias. People might want Acuna, but Inglesias has MLB experience and he's outhitting Acuna in Syracuse. Plus, I think the Mets want Acuna playing every day so a major league callup wouldn't make sense right now, unless they plant to bench McNeil, and I don't think that's the plan.

As bad as McNeil has been, I think the Mets want to hold onto him as a super-reserve/bench OF/2B and pinch hitter, even if he loses his starting job late this year/next year.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#575 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed May 15, 2024 4:05 pm

This won't be official until the international signing period in January, but the rumor is the Mets have worked out a deal with potentially the top international guy in the class. SS Elian Pena

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

5 million will be most of their international allotment.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#576 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Some interesting news in Mets-land.

Wendle DFA'd, Vientos up. That means, until there's a corresponding move, the Mets are playing without a backup infielder. Baty is effectively the backup SS if Lindor needs time off the field, and McNeil's backup too at 2nd. That would be an interesting defensive setup if it happens.

Yohan Ramirez and his 8 something ERA is being designated for assignment (3rd time he's had that honor this year) and Luchessi is up. If Luchessi gets a start, that'll be the Mets are going with 6 starters for a bit and Houser staying in the pen, where he might be better. They may be trying to keep Christian Scott as rested as possible in the off-chance they need him for the playoffs. But that's just speculation. (The locked on Mets guy said that, so not just coming from me) - it's an option, not necessarily what they're doing.

I don't know how long they can keep Baty & Vientos on the roster, already with DH's DJ Stewart and JD Martinez. It's not good for defensive rotations, so if Vientos hits, Baty might see minors for a bit and I'm guessing, Jose Inglesias will get a look. Maybe Rylan Bannon, but probably Inglesias. People might want Acuna, but Inglesias has MLB experience and he's outhitting Acuna in Syracuse. Plus, I think the Mets want Acuna playing every day so a major league callup wouldn't make sense right now, unless they plant to bench McNeil, and I don't think that's the plan.

As bad as McNeil has been, I think the Mets want to hold onto him as a super-reserve/bench OF/2B and pinch hitter, even if he loses his starting job late this year/next year.

Looks like Baty and Vientos could be sharing 3B 50/50.

Check out the story re Houser. :lol:

Good riddance to Wendle. He sucked.

Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#577 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed May 15, 2024 11:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Interesting. Apparently, with Butto struggling yesterday, Houser was sent to the warm up twice and they don't want him starting today. That's why they called up Luchesi. It's nothing Houser did wrong and I think they're going to try to hold onto him. Spot starter/bullpen arms aren't bad guys to have on the roster.

Butto sent down - he's one of the few with options, but I'm sure we'll see him again. Megill is close to returning.

I don't see how they're going to share 3rd base with Vientos & Baty because right now, they have no backup SS or 2nd baseman. Neither Lindor nor McNeil can get a day off, unless Vientos plays SS or 2nd. They have a strangely set up roster right now, which might be fine for a few days, but I don't see it long term.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#578 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Interesting. Apparently, with Butto struggling yesterday, Houser was sent to the warm up twice and they don't want him starting today. That's why they called up Luchesi. It's nothing Houser did wrong and I think they're going to try to hold onto him. Spot starter/bullpen arms aren't bad guys to have on the roster.

Butto sent down - he's one of the few with options, but I'm sure we'll see him again. Megill is close to returning.

I don't see how they're going to share 3rd base with Vientos & Baty because right now, they have no backup SS or 2nd baseman. Neither Lindor nor McNeil can get a day off, unless Vientos plays SS or 2nd. They have a strangely set up roster right now, which might be fine for a few days, but I don't see it long term.

It’s probably only for a short period of time until they can sort this out. Wendle was clearly not the answer. And, apparently, neither is Joey Lucchessi who got lit up tonight against the Phillies. 4 BBs in 4 innings is unacceptable.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#579 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 16, 2024 5:28 am

Theathletic.com had a good write up about our prospects at this point.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5493153/2024/05/15/mets-prospect-tiers-brandon-sproat/

Spoiler:
Tier 1: Moving on up
Brandon Sproat, RHP
Current assignment: Double-A Binghamton
Keith Law rank: 13th on team Top 20

The Mets love what they have in Sproat, who got bumped up to Binghamton a few days ago. With Brooklyn, walks were sometimes an issue for Sproat. But in his last couple of appearances, evaluators said, he showed a really good feel for all of his pitches, demonstrated the ability to land any pitch and got swings-and-misses on everything from his arsenal. The Mets drafted Sproat last year (for the second straight year after failing to sign him in 2022), but as a 23-year-old, he could continue to rise quickly.

Blade Tidwell, RHP
Current assignment: Double-A Binghamton
Keith Law rank: 9th on team Top 20

Tidwell added a cutter, which has allowed him to rack up more strikes. For Tidwell, the pitch has helped remedy a command problem; scouts have referred to his stuff as elite for multiple years, but an inability to find the zone limited his potential. Perhaps that’s changing because of the cutter, a pitch he picked up late last winter and has seamlessly incorporated into his arsenal. The cutter has worked as a bridge between an impressive fastball and an improved slider.

Jonah Tong’s strikeouts are up and his walks are down. (Joe Robbins / Icon Sportswire via Associated Press)
Jonah Tong, RHP
Current assignment: High-A Brooklyn
Keith Law rank: Unranked

In 27 2/3 innings across both levels of Class A, Tong has allowed just one earned run. Walks remain a concern, but he’s greatly improved his walk rate from last year while continuing to pile up strikeouts.

Nolan McLean, RHP/DH
Keith Law rank: Unranked

A two-way prospect, McLean has turned heads this season with four home runs in 61 plate appearances (.579 slugging percentage) and a 3.00 ERA in 24 innings (six starts). On the pitching side, a sweeper and better slider have helped McLean amass 27 strikeouts.

Jesus Baez, SS/2B
Current assignment: Low-A St. Lucie
Keith Law rank: 17th on team Top 20

Baez’s traditional numbers have caught up to his underlying data — namely, his hard-hit rate. He’s an exciting prospect because of how hard he hits the ball. He has an .800 OPS with St. Lucie after struggling in the complex league last year.

Nick Morabito, OF
Keith Law rank: 12th on team Top 20

In 101 plate appearances with St. Lucie, Morabito hit .397 and quickly earned a promotion to Brooklyn, where he has continued to hit (6 for 18, .333 batting average).
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#580 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 16, 2024 6:41 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

I'm on the fence with Pete. One of the criticisms is that when he gets launch angle happy, and everything is a fly ball, then, sure he hits homers but his average plumets. He's 8 for his last 20, which is good, but before that he had a 2 for 37 stretch, so, I'm glad he's hit the ball well the last few games but I don't know if that merits a long contract.

Teams with as much money as the Mets probably shouldn't lock themselves into 7-8 year contracts unless they really like the player. The Mets had, at the time, basically zero OF prospects, so Nimmo's contract made sense. First basemen are pretty easy to replace. The Mets have Vientos & Clifford in the minors. THe kind of offer I'd personally make to Pete if I was in charge, is the kind of offer he'd probably turn down. Like 5-130, maybe 4-120.

He's 29. He'll be 30 and a few months on opening day next year. How many years do you trust him, and what is a 124 OPS+ first baseman really worth? That's what he's been 2023-2024.

At the same time, I also like him and wouldn't mind him being a met for the next 5-6 years. I don't know where I come down.

What do you think?

I'm in the same boat with you. Can we finally say that the core of Nimmo, Lindor, McNeil and Alonso has been a failure? 3 of the 4 seasons has been under .500. And this group of 4 is going to cost more than 100 million once you give Alonso a contract extension.

If we pick up Alonso's salary this deadline, we can get a decent prospect package back.

I would like to have him back but not for the years and I'm pretty sure he wants a NTC. I'm worried that he might be Khris Davis more than a top 3 1B in the game. I don't count Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant and Cody Bellinger's contract because they were signed at a different position.

Freddie Freeman 6 years 162m 27m AAV (signed at 32)
Paul Goldschmidt 5 years 130m 26m AAV (signed at 32)
Matt Olson 8 years 168m 21m AAV (signed at 27)

These guys I feel that are premier 1B that are also great with the glove. Each of them had cases to be MVP or was an MVP. I'm okay with 6 years 150m.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/contracts/_/position/1b/sort/average/dir/desc

Return to New York Knicks