ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Donte > Deuce

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

Janquinn87
Freshman
And1: 110

Re: PG: Deuce > Donte 

Post#61 » by Janquinn87 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:40 pm

This is a copy cat league. Teams are going big. Denver starts a front line SF 6'10, PF 6'10 and C 7'1. Milwaukee SF 6'8, PF 6'11 and C 7'1. The lakers are a big team , Suns have a big front line. Golden state is the only small ball team that can compete because of their shooting.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,230

Post#62 » by dakomish23 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm

Gravy wrote:Sweet pass

Read on Twitter

Off ball movement. Willing passing. Where am I?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,167

Post#63 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:44 pm

Janquinn87 wrote:This is a copy cat league. Teams are going big. Denver starts a front line SF 6'10, PF 6'10 and C 7'1. Milwaukee SF 6'8, PF 6'11 and C 7'1. The lakers are a big team , Suns have a big front line. Golden state is the only small ball team that can compete because of their shooting.

Other teams will be clamoring to copy the Knicks philosophy of small unskilled guards who can't shoot
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,230

Post#64 » by dakomish23 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:45 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g

I canā€™t believe thereā€™s footage of RJ going right :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,483

Post#65 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:45 pm

Gravy wrote:Sweet pass

Read on Twitter

iHart can do that multiple times a night if we move off the ball and keep hitting the backdoor
ImageImageImage
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,103

Post#66 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Gravy wrote:Yall got me hyped up for small ball now you're saying we suck cause we too small. wtf man

Small ball was never about being small on the perimeter it was about up sizing there while downsizing the 4 and 5. The roster construction we have can't actually play small ball because we have no big wings to play the 4. Our biggest wing player is RJ and he's actually on the smaller side for a 3.

We have too many guards, the roster makes zero sense, no backup 3 or 4.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#67 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:54 pm

Gravy wrote:Yall got me hyped up for small ball now you're saying we suck cause we too small. wtf man

Thibs and the FO may be out of sync.

They keep adding guards when Thibs needs wings.

Thibs likes bigs up front so we're getting Sims/iHart types of lineups.

Technically, Sims at 6'8" is wing-sized, but he provides none of the offensive attributes required from a wing and we are lacking aside from Randle and then RJ to some degree

Playing Hart at the 4 is an ad hoc justification for them not creating depth at the 3 or 4 positions

I like Mitch and iHart, but Sims and Roby may end up being kind of useless to us. Sims gets the occasional highlight play as a dunker or blocker due to his hops, but I cannot see where his value will be even if he develops

We really need to make that big trade for a scoring wing if we're not going for Embiid, ideally replacing Randle and then securing an additional backup wing that can score off the bench.
ImageImageImage
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,103

Post#68 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 pm

Janquinn87 wrote:This is a copy cat league. Teams are going big. Denver starts a front line SF 6'10, PF 6'10 and C 7'1. Milwaukee SF 6'8, PF 6'11 and C 7'1. The lakers are a big team , Suns have a big front line. Golden state is the only small ball team that can compete because of their shooting.

Yeah, and most teams that play small are big on the perimeter, like OKC who don't have a 4 but because Giddey is 6'8" they have flexibility in what they can do on defense especially because Dort/Williams can guard multiple positions.

We don't have any of these weird/unique players that play out of position in a good way or have a dynamic skillet that doesn't match their size.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,856

Post#69 » by DOT » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Small ball was never about being small on the perimeter it was about up sizing there while downsizing the 4 and 5. The roster construction we have can't actually play small ball because we have no big wings to play the 4. Our biggest wing player is RJ and he's actually on the smaller side for a 3.

The idea behind small ball is to have guys who can defend multiple positions on defense while also being able to create and shoot from 3

We're a team with very little positional versatility on defense, even our best one on one perimeter defenders in Quick and Grimes can only situationally guard other positions. Randle can only guard PFs (and even then he doesn't try consistently) and Mitch doesn't have the foot speed he had as a rookie so he can only play drop coverage

Plus, we're trying to make Sims the backup PF. I have no idea what that dude is doing spotting up in the corner, but it's nothing good.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Guano
RealGM
And1: 43,069

Post#70 » by Guano » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:05 pm

Janquinn87 wrote:This team is terribly undersized at the wing position. Donte, Hart and Grimes are 6'4. Rj is our only wing with size at 6'6 this team is going to get destroyed by teams like Boston and Denver with wing at 6'9 and 6'10. We better hope Randle stay healthy, very poor roster construction.

we make up for our lack of wing size by running two Cs :lol:
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,659

Post#71 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:09 pm

Shouldā€™ve signed Taurean Prince over DD.
Free Palestine
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,196

Post#72 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:15 pm

Knicks aren't really built to play big or small off the bench. Id still rather go small then play 2 non shooting Cs together.

Mitch is probably better suited to play C in small ball lineups. Mix and match a little and go with something like this

Mitch
Hart
RJ
Grimes or DD
IQ
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,015

Post#73 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:21 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
duetta wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Actually Deuce has shown improvement versus bonifide NBA players.. while covering for an injured Brunson last season. That 3 point shot could very well be legit... against anybody.

Deuce has always struggled with his shooting on offense at the NBA level. He also has yet to demonstrate an ability to weave his way to the hoop. But his defense is elite and potentially All-NBA level.

Hard to see where he fits in with Brunson here, plus Quickley - at least at the moment, although Quick could price himself out of the Knicks' future.

Deuceā€™s shooting looked better later in the season. He shot 39.5% from 3 from Feb on. He played well in that 4th guard role last year even though it was only 10mpg
right the stats don't lie...his 3 has improved.... dramatically.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#74 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:23 pm

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

The clip you have of RJ finishing high off the glass reminded me that he made a major improvement on his finishes by going glass, something that took off for him later in the season. Now it's normal for him and it shows when he converts on a high degree of difficulty finish like that. That's not an easy make, but his skill using the glass has become very legit.

Also agree that iHart is someone to keep watching after. He can continue to improve our offensive flow with his decision making.

And Deuce will force his way into steady rotation minutes if he continues like this, hence my mock provocative thread title as I think the Donte signing was highly redundant with Deuce ready to produce.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#75 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:28 pm

Seems like yesterday when the league wanted to emulate GS
ImageImageImage
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#76 » by Gravy » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:40 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I got the sense over the last few years it meant not having a traditional 7 foot rim protector. Like the suggestion we put Randle or Obi at the 5 and the rest of the players are mostly the same.

With the current roster this is affecting the 2nd unit so maybe they can get away with it for a short time until they find a decent big backup wing/PF.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#77 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

Technically, Sims at 6'8" is wing-sized, but he provides none of the offensive attributes required from a wing and we are lacking aside from Randle and then RJ to some degree

Playing Hart at the 4 is an ad hoc justification for them not creating depth at the 3 or 4 positions

I like Mitch and iHart, but Sims and Roby may end up being kind of useless to us. Sims gets the occasional highlight play as a dunker or blocker due to his hops, but I cannot see where his value will be even if he develops

We really need to make that big trade for a scoring wing if we're not going for Embiid, ideally replacing Randle and then securing an additional backup wing that can score off the bench.

I don't see small ball working for us as presently constituted. . We have the "small" part down but not any of the necessary ball movement or player movement (outside of Josh Hart). In addition you have teams that are well equipped to neutralize our midgets.

I think the word is out that all you need to do is move the ball to beat us..and I still think that is true. Heck Minny is a team of bone heads (albeit talented ones)but they put on a clinic last night far as moving the ball. If they can do this why the hell cant we?

Because we are committed to THIBS and his ISO philosophy,?

As a side note , I really wouldn't mind if we added some enforcers on this team. It was a bad look for me when IIhart was trying to play kindergarten teacher peace maker after Naz Reid cheap shoved RJ. Reid needed a cheap shove in return, not "reasoning".

I couldn't help but think someone like OAK or Mase would have put him on his azz. Aint nobody scared of us..and why should they be?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#78 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:14 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I don't see small ball working for us as presently constituted. . We have the "small" part down not none of necessary movement or player movement (outside of Josh Hart). In addition you have teams that are well equipped to neutralize our midgets.

I think the word is out that all you need to do is move the ball to beat us..and I still think that is true. Heck Minny is a team of bone heads (albeit talented ones)but they put on a clinic last nights far as moving the ball. If they can do this why the hell cant we?

Because we are committed to THIBS and his ISO philosophy,?

As a side note , I really wouldn't mind if we added some enforcers on this team. It was a bad look for me when IIhart was trying to play kindergarten teacher peace maker after Naz Reid cheap shoved RJ. Reid needed a cheap shove in return, not "reasoning".

I couldn't help but think someone like OAK or Mase would have put him on his azz. Aint nobody scared of us..and why should they be?

Time to Re-Animate Mase

Randle has the build to be that guy, but he has proven he doesn't really care about defense and enforcing. The only guy who has the physical ability and will to do that on this team is Mitch. He's literally our only line of defense at the rim
ImageImageImage
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,636

Post#79 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm

Barring trade I ultimately expect a 9 man rotation of Brunson Grimes RJ Randle Mitch - IQ Donte Hart iHart

Nobody else will play except garbage time or injury reserve. McBride will be 3rd string PG, sims injury reserve center

The backup PF a will just be playing small ball with staggered lineups

This is all of course until the towns trade is official
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#80 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:30 pm

robillionaire wrote:Barring trade I ultimately expect a 9 man rotation of Brunson Grimes RJ Randle Mitch - IQ Donte Hart iHart

Nobody else will play except garbage time or injury reserve. McBride will be 3rd string PG, sims injury reserve center

The backup PF a will just be playing small ball with staggered lineups

This is all of course until the towns trade is official

Yeah I see Towns and Donovan Mitchell in our future....

That wont get us anywhere, but those are the most realistic moves...

Nobody is going to help us. It is what it is.

Return to New York Knicks