ImageImageImageImageImage

OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks, Part 2

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Re: OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks, Part 2 

Post#61 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:42 am

I'm still a little bummed we couldn't bring OG in without losing IQ, but man is it awesome to have Anunoby on this team.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,027

Post#62 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:44 am

cgf wrote:I'm still a little bummed we couldn't bring OG in without losing IQ, but man is it awesome to have Anunoby on this team.

Your # of posts lately is approaching shammgodian proportions
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,960

Post#63 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:45 am

KnicksGod wrote:Seeing IQ as a future perennial All Star is delusional IMO. There is a reason he shoots floaters — he doesn’t have the explosion or handle to get into traffic. He also perhaps doesn’t like contact. He’s never been clutch.

If he is a good starter; that is probably the high water mark.
Explosion is overrated when you have skill....ask Luka or Curry. I think IQ has chance to be one not definitely but possibly...
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,460
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#64 » by BKlutch » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:46 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Can’t stand him more than often but everything SAS has said about this trade are my exact thoughts.

- makes us better defensively, but doesn’t excite anyone or move the needle

- still can’t trust Randle in playoffs and now that IQ and RJ is gone who else can go get their own shot outside of Brunson

- really didn’t want to give up IQ. SAS says he’s special .. I kind of agree. Especially in that sixth man role

- the OG trade gives Thibs an excuse to run a 8 man rotation into the ground

- he also says he still believes in RJ but agree he wasn’t a good fit because he couldn’t play off ball.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nv1DuIYAil1NHCZU015rLg

I won't even address the other stuff because the enlarged part is just plain wrong. If you watched yesterday's game against the Wovles OG clearly made a difference. Edwards couldn't do shyt with OG on him. He also help space the floor much better so that Randle and Brunson could operate.

I would recommend going online and researching the Knicks trade for Dave Debusschere in '69 that turned the Knicks into a NBA champs (I understand the game has changed since then but it doesn't make any difference in this instance). OG reminds me a lot of Debusschere, who could play lockdown defense, hit the open jumper, make cuts to the hoop, and bang on the boards.

The difference in the Knicks play in just one game is night and day. Now people want another ball pounder. :noway:

Both DeBusschere and Anunoby are smart, 5'6" - 5'8", defensive forwards. Both were very good at cutting, finding their spot to shoot from, and neither was primarily an offensive player, yet each shoots near 18 points per game. Not the superstar that gets the accolades, but the player who gives the team their defensive identity and prefers doing that. Knicks couldn't have won 2 championships without him. Phil Jackson was taller but clearly not as valuable to the team.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

cgf
RealGM

Post#65 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:47 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
cgf wrote:I'm still a little bummed we couldn't bring OG in without losing IQ, but man is it awesome to have Anunoby on this team.

Your # of posts lately is approaching shammgodian proportions

I've wanted OG on this team for a long time :lol:

...but I also thought that Brunson, Quickley, Grimes was an almost perfectly balanced guard trio.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 30,128

Post#66 » by HerSports85 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:47 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Zach Lowe posted a tweet saying that some NBA executives and coaches viewed RJ's contract as a "toxic asset."

So.

yeah no longer our problem.
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,627

Post#67 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:48 am

djsunyc wrote:imho, i think the knicks traded their best young prospect in this deal (IQ) which effects future deals. grimes doesn't have near the same type of value around the league so any future trade for a star will require the receiving team to be ok with a pick laden deal and not necessarily a young talent one. there are really no other young players other teams would covet on your roster.

the other possible option for a star trade is if randle is in the deal but not sure if a star is being dealt, the receiving team would want him - may have to be a multi-team deal.

i think things get very interesting for the knicks trying to improve on this team right now. mitch being hurt is pretty big. i think you have to use fournier's expiring this deadline otherwise you won't have any expiring contract fillers next year. even if it means trading him for a mediocre player who expires next year instead - punt that expiring. you need contracts to match salaries for trades. hartenstein is a UFA but with mitch hurt, you can't trade him.

the detroit and washington picks have no real value right now b/c they're probably not going to convey so you'll need to deal your own picks + the dallas pick.

so what can fournier + grimes (which is only $21 mil in contract) + 2 unprotected frps + dallas pick + 2 swaps get you? you would still need to add $10-15 mil in salaries to match a star so would that be mitch? hart? divicenzo? all of them have multiple years left.

getting OG is big but there's still alot of questions for you guys. alot of pressure for jalen + randle to pick up the scoring slack left by quick and rj. while you may not love them as players, they are still guys that can put the ball in the basket in the flow and on iso situations. og is great on the catch & shoot but the iso is a bit of an adventure.

the caveat here of course is the CAA connections and an agent forcing his guy to ny (not too unlike og).

i think something big has to happen with this roster within the next 12 months but when you really assess the contract and asset situation, i think a somewhat big trade has to happen this deadline.

This line of thinking has me leaning towards DJM for Evan/Deuce/Grimes NYK 24/DAL 24. Cheap consolidation trade that brings in necessary salary for any star trade in the near future and makes us better now. Also interested in Sexton/Olynyk trade which would probably be even cheaper and we have Sexton 19mil on the books the next two years. Less sexy but, also fixes the backup 4/5 issue we have at a cheaper cost.

We have assets we have to use before the summer comes. We have holes to fill for this season. We have to carry salary into next year for any star trade that pops up this summer/next TDL. These trades cover all of that.
:beer: RIP mags
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,746

Post#68 » by Synciere » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:48 am

Lowe Post pod yesterday is Knicks heavy talk. Good pod.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,213

Post#69 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:52 am

djsunyc wrote:imho, i think the knicks traded their best young prospect in this deal (IQ) which effects future deals. grimes doesn't have near the same type of value around the league so any future trade for a star will require the receiving team to be ok with a pick laden deal and not necessarily a young talent one. there are really no other young players other teams would covet on your roster.

the other possible option for a star trade is if randle is in the deal but not sure if a star is being dealt, the receiving team would want him - may have to be a multi-team deal.

i think things get very interesting for the knicks trying to improve on this team right now. mitch being hurt is pretty big. i think you have to use fournier's expiring this deadline otherwise you won't have any expiring contract fillers next year. even if it means trading him for a mediocre player who expires next year instead - punt that expiring. you need contracts to match salaries for trades. hartenstein is a UFA but with mitch hurt, you can't trade him.

the detroit and washington picks have no real value right now b/c they're probably not going to convey so you'll need to deal your own picks + the dallas pick.

so what can fournier + grimes (which is only $21 mil in contract) + 2 unprotected frps + dallas pick + 2 swaps get you? you would still need to add $10-15 mil in salaries to match a star so would that be mitch? hart? divicenzo? all of them have multiple years left.

getting OG is big but there's still alot of questions for you guys. alot of pressure for jalen + randle to pick up the scoring slack left by quick and rj. while you may not love them as players, they are still guys that can put the ball in the basket in the flow and on iso situations. og is great on the catch & shoot but the iso is a bit of an adventure.

the caveat here of course is the CAA connections and an agent forcing his guy to ny (not too unlike og).

i think something big has to happen with this roster within the next 12 months but when you really assess the contract and asset situation, i think a somewhat big trade has to happen this deadline.

Or the Knicks could make a smaller scale move (say, Fournier and a pick) for a useful player (see Sexton above) and make their draft picks hoping somebody there shows out.

Toronto built incrementally for years before making the Kawhi trade and all the Knicks main guys are younger than Lowry/DeRozan for that build.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,960

Post#70 » by RHODEY » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:53 am

KnicksGod wrote:Seeing IQ as a future perennial All Star is delusional IMO. There is a reason he shoots floaters — he doesn’t have the explosion or handle to get into traffic. He also perhaps doesn’t like contact. He’s never been clutch.

Explosion is overrated when you have skill....ask Luka or Curry. I think IQ has chance to be one... not definitely but possibly...
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,848

Post#71 » by Gravy » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:56 am

Which trade is better for us?

1. the proposed trade for Donovan Mitchell that we canceled: RJ, Quickley, Grimes and 3 frps

2. or the one we just made: RJ, IQ, a 2nd round pick for OG

I think the OG trade makes the roster more balanced
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#72 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:57 am

HerSports85 wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Zach Lowe posted a tweet saying that some NBA executives and coaches viewed RJ's contract as a "toxic asset."

So.

yeah no longer our problem.

We got OG to worry about. I'm perfectly fine with that problem.
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 30,128

Post#73 » by HerSports85 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:59 am

Gravy wrote:Which trade is better for us?

1. the proposed trade for Donovan Mitchell that we canceled: RJ, Quickley, Grimes and 3 frps

OG.
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
cgf
RealGM

Post#74 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:02 am

HerSports85 wrote:

OG.

Without a doubt OG. I don't understand why people who are against Lavine want Mitchell. Is it all of the first round losses that make Spida contribute more to winning?

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,213

Post#75 » by Capn'O » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:03 am

cgf wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:

OG.

Without a doubt OG. I don't understand why people who are against Lavine want Mitchell. Is it all of the first round losses that make Spida contribute more to winning?

Or is it the current identical record to ours that is so coveted?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#76 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:04 am

I like the OG trade. I'm not in the DM trade camp. We saved 3FRPs and Grimes in this trade scenario.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,411

Post#77 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:05 am

RHODEY wrote:

Explosion is overrated when you have skill....ask Luka or Curry. I think IQ has chance to be one... not definitely but possibly...

That is true but Curry was making circus layups even when he was in his first couple years. I saw them in person.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,460
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#78 » by BKlutch » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:19 am

We're Number 8

Marc Stein's NBA Power Rankings
1️⃣ Boston Celtics
2️⃣ Oklahoma City Thunder
3️⃣ Minnesota Timberwolves
4️⃣ Denver Nuggets
5️⃣ Philadelphia 76ers
6️⃣ Milwaukee Bucks
7️⃣ LA Clippers
8️⃣ Your New York Knicks (Last ranking (Nov. 28): 11)
9️⃣ Sacramento Kings
1️⃣0️⃣ New Orleans Pelicans
1️⃣1️⃣ Orlando Magic
1️⃣2️⃣ Miami Heat
1️⃣3️⃣ Cleveland Cavaliers
1️⃣4️⃣ Indiana Pacers
1️⃣5️⃣ Dallas Mavericks
1️⃣6️⃣ Phoenix Suns
1️⃣7️⃣ Houston Rockets
1️⃣8️⃣ Los Angeles Lakers
1️⃣9️⃣ Golden State Warriors
2️⃣0️⃣ Chicago Bulls
2️⃣1️⃣ Utah Jazz - Ainge they cute!
2️⃣2️⃣ Toronto Raptors - Home of the High IQ Barrett Burger
2️⃣3️⃣ Brooklyn Nets Tsais
2️⃣4️⃣ Atlanta Hawks
2️⃣5️⃣ Memphis Grizzlies
2️⃣6️⃣ Portland Trail Blazers
2️⃣7️⃣ San Antonio Spurs Wembys
2️⃣8️⃣ Washington Wizards
2️⃣9️⃣ Charlotte Hornets
3️⃣0️⃣ Detroit Pistons DooDoos

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense even without OG, our after-burner.

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,959

Post#79 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:25 am

HerSports85 wrote:Can’t stand him more than often but everything SAS has said about this trade are my exact thoughts.

- still can’t trust Randle in playoffs and now that IQ and RJ is gone who else can go get their own shot outside of Brunson

- really didn’t want to give up IQ. SAS says he’s special .. I kind of agree. Especially in that sixth man role

- he also says he still believes in RJ but agree he wasn’t a good fit because he couldn’t play off ball.

Read on Twitter

Let's go point by point:

OG should move the needle because for everyone making Pistons comps for us, Tayshaun Prince was one of the unsung hero's and was the Bron-stopper.

The can't trust Randle narrative really should be can't trust Thibs to have his players fresh for the playoffs. No player is really going to change that except maybe for Jokic who isn't explosive. We have Grimes and Donte who can create just fine.

We just extended Deuce, we clearly think he is going to be a factor, so forget the 8-man rotation stuff.

RJ was a bad fit because he and IQ both were taking a ton of FGA's and basically fighting for the Alfred role. Hope RJ and OG both are all-stars together some day.

SAS just has en erection for this notion of "box office" OG isn't box office, but he is a star level at what he does. He makes all the pieces fit.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
cgf
RealGM

Post#80 » by cgf » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:30 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Let's go point by point:

OG should move the needle because for everyone making Pistons comps for us, Tayshaun Prince was one of the unsung hero's and was the Bron-stopper.

The can't trust Randle narrative really should be can't trust Thibs to have his players fresh for the playoffs. No player is really going to change that except maybe for Jokic who isn't explosive. We have Grimes and Donte who can create just fine.

We just extended Deuce, we clearly think he is going to be a factor, so forget the 8-man rotation stuff.

RJ was a bad fit because he and IQ both were taking a ton of FGA's and basically fighting for the Alfred role. Hope RJ and OG both are all-stars together some day.

SAS just has en erection for this notion of "box office" OG isn't box office, but he is a star level at what he does. He makes all the pieces fit.

With what we paid Deuce, he is no guarantee to be a factor. He'll be making Achuiwa money not rotation regular money.

Return to New York Knicks