ImageImageImageImageImage

General Rock Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85

spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,939

Re: General Rock Thread 

Post#81 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:25 am

Stannis wrote:Has anyone here watched the Meet Me In the Bathroom documentary? I think it's showing in select theaters in NY, not on streaming yet.

It's about the early 2000s indie rock surge, Strokes, Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, etc.

That was horrible music. Soft, sellout pop.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#82 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:28 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
You would be treated like a King, especially at Riker's Island, where you'd be staying. Even the female correctional officers would be standing in line. :lol:

I did a stint in Rikers island once 32 years ago. Fun times.

You're street cred just jumped up 75%. :lol:

How long were you there for?

Not long at all. Just a little case of trying to scare someone into a confession. Case was dismissed a year later. I was Innocent after all. Lawyer got me out after a 180 80 motion was filed.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,540

Post#83 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:47 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
I did a stint in Rikers island once 32 years ago. Fun times.

Not long at all. Just a little case of trying to scare someone into a confession. Case was dismissed a year later. I was Innocent after all. Lawyer got me out after a 180 80 motion was filed.

Pretty crazy in there, eh?
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,628

Post#84 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:10 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Pretty crazy in there, eh?

It was a shyt show until I got to my cell block. The lifer dorm. :o one dude tried pressing me but, that ended quick when the dorm leader, who was a tank, yolked him up and put him in check. I was his spades partner and we won every game. :lol:

I was young and dumb and ran with the wrong crowd back then. Living on the streets as a teen and doing crazy **** was the norm. After Rikers and looking at an A-1 felony I figured I would calm down a bit and move on. I stayed in the shadows after that. I have run with many different crowds and some of them were/are extremely unsavory to say the least.

It has been an interesting life for sure. I could write a book about some of it.
:beer: RIP mags
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,409

Post#85 » by The Lamma » Thu Dec 1, 2022 2:42 am

You never saw this coming

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,127

Post#86 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 1, 2022 12:51 pm

The Lamma wrote:You never saw this coming

This is tough. I love all girl J-Rock bands

I would post some Maximum The Hormone but i dunno if yall are ready for that. Those dudes (and a girl on the drums) are insane.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#87 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 1, 2022 12:54 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Not necessarily rock but... I'm over here now.

Simple song to learn Mr Dollar Bills

This is rock! And thanks I'm gonna try this one

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#88 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:32 pm

New Jersey's own!!

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,418

Post#89 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Dec 1, 2022 7:39 pm

;ab_channel=Solex-Topic

Solex is an old favorite of mine. She's very original. She's Dutch, owned a record store and started making her own cuts in the 90s
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,540

Post#90 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:07 am

RIP to the great Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac who just passed away at 79. What a beautiful voice she had. A very underrated talent. These are two of my favorites.

Songbird

Over My Head

Free Palestine
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 34,319

Post#91 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:26 am

TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,349

Post#92 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:13 am

Nice to see this thread pop up again lately and the forum not just being all hip hop, even if I like that too.

I humbly proclaim myself the rock, metal, punk, alternative, indie, prog, psych, industrial, electronic, new wave, jazz, post, experimental, noise whatever guru of this place. Why you think Im shouted out in the OP by my boy br7? Lol. I love all decades and most genres. You gotta mix things up because its lame to only listen to one thing, and rock is very broad with 100+ subgenres.

So much cool sh*t out there, but you gotta search for it these days.

As I mention in one of my earlier posts on page 2 of this thread from years back, go to RateYourMusic.com and hit up the charts section. There you can sort and find all the best rated albums by users in any year and/or genre. Like you can see all the greatest albums of 1975, 1992, 2008, 2022 or whatever year with all genres mixed up, or you can just search for the best alternative rock albums ever, or the best death metal albums of 1995, or the best psychedelic rock from the 1960s, or straight up the best albums of all time. Whatever you want. Just use it as a guide. Can also look up any band to see all their album ratings.

I rate all the albums I listen to on there (just passed 10K ratings), since I basically jam music all day when I work from home, go to the gym, hang with the bros, or post on here.

I also watch some Knick games with music on too. Of course I keep the game volume on as well to hear Breen, Clyde, and the crowd, but some good background music adds to it if you keep it low. Helps thats Im also usually stoned.

Keep rock alive people! Seems most only listen to dumbed down pop and rap now because that’s whats being pushed. Wasnt always like that. They used to have good music, and lots of rock/metal, on MTV, the radio, and just in general mainstream culture.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,265

Post#93 » by Stannis » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:40 am

I think we got some guys who live in ATL here. Shaky Knees. Just announced their 2023 lineup. I went to 2021, and had a blast. Discovered some new bands and met a lot of cool people. I also got to drunkenly explore ATL lol.

Here's their 2023 Spring Lineup. If you are in the ATL area and lock rock music, this is a great fest to go to. There will probably be more bands. This is just their early announcement. There was a bunch more bands when I went in 2021. 4 Stages at the park, massive park. And there's late shows at indoor venues if you don't feel like calling a night.

Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#94 » by Stannis » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:28 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Nice to see this thread pop up again lately and the forum not just being all hip hop, even if I like that too.

I humbly proclaim myself the rock, metal, punk, alternative, indie, prog, psych, industrial, electronic, new wave, jazz, experimental, noise whatever guru of this place. Why you think Im shouted out in the OP by my boy br7? Lol. I love all decades and most genres. You gotta mix things up because its lame to only listen to one thing, and rock is very broad with 100+ subgenres.

So much cool sh*t out there, but you gotta search for it these days.

As I mention in one of my earlier posts here from years back, go to RateYourMusic.com and hit up the charts section. There you can sort and find all the best rated albums by users in any year and/or genre. Like you can see all the greatest albums of 1975, 1992, 2008, 2022 or whatever year with all genres mixed up, or you can just search for the best alternative rock albums ever, or the best death metal albums of 1995, or the best psychedelic rock from the 1960s, or straight up the best albums of all time. Whatever you want. Just use it as a guide. Can also look up any band to see all their album ratings.

I rate all the albums I listen to on there (just passed 10K ratings), since I basically jam music all day when I work from home, go to the gym, hang with the bros, or post on here.

I also watch some Knick games with music on too. Of course I keep the game volume on as well to hear Breen, Clyde, and the crowd, but some good background music adds to it if you keep it low. Helps thats Im also usually stoned.

Keep rock alive people! Seems most only listen to dumbed down pop and rap now because that’s whats being pushed. Wasnt always like that. They used to have good music, and lots of rock/metal, on MTV, the radio, and just in general mainstream culture.

lol I think I remember that post. You mentioned Interpol. Their debut album remains one of my all time favorites.

10k ratings you have? 10k albums you listened to? My lord, you got some good attention span. I'll be lucky if I can listen to a new album a month lmao.

Trends come and go, but rock will always live.... I think Brandon Flowers said something like that before he closed out a Killers concert I went to.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#95 » by Stannis » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:29 am

I saw these guys live before and they killed it

Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#96 » by Stannis » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:35 am

Saw Khruangbin live recently and was obsessed. Crowd was lit too

Free Palestine
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#97 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:49 am

Stannis wrote:lol I think I remember that post. You mentioned Interpol. Their debut album remains one of my all time favorites.

10k ratings you have? 10k albums you listened to? My lord, you got some good attention span. I'll be lucky if I can listen to a new album a month lmao.

Trends come and go, but rock will always live.... I think Brandon Flowers said something like that before he closed out a Killers concert I went to.

Lol yes 10 thousand albums. On average I consistently listen to about 5-10 a day, mostly ones I havent heard before. Over the span of the last of 2-3 decades, it has added up obviously haha. I just keep em rolling all day when I can, and get them from various sites. Also I play some piano/synth myself.

And yeah Im a fan of Interpol and The Killers. They’re more on the poppy side of stuff I listen to I guess, but have some great stuff for sure. Was just listening to The Killers last album the other day actually (they released an abridged version of it without the monologues).

Id name some of my favorite bands, but I wouldn’t be able to stop once I start man. Too much.

Ill just drop one of the weirder ones:

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,278

Post#98 » by Capn'O » Fri Dec 2, 2022 5:22 am

HISS GOLDEN MESSENGER FOLKS!!!!!!!! HISS GOLDEN MESSENGER!!!!!!!!!!!

Stannis wrote:Saw Khruangbin live recently and was obsessed. Crowd was lit too

They're great. A real throwback.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,418

Post#99 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Dec 2, 2022 5:37 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
Stannis wrote:lol I think I remember that post. You mentioned Interpol. Their debut album remains one of my all time favorites.

Lol yes 10 thousand albums. On average I consistently listen to about 5-10 a day, mostly ones I havent heard before. Over the span of the last of 2-3 decades, it has added up obviously haha. I just keep em rolling all day when I can, and get them from various sites. Also I play some piano/synth myself.

And yeah Im a fan of Interpol and The Killers. They’re more on the poppy side of stuff I listen to I guess, but have some great stuff for sure. Was just listening to The Killers last album the other day actually (they released an abridged version of it without the monologues).

Id name some of my favorite bands, but I wouldn’t be able to stop once I start man. Too much.

Swans, man .......

This is their Blind Faith cover sung by Jarboe

ImageImageImage
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#100 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Dec 2, 2022 6:01 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

Swans, man .......

This is their Blind Faith cover sung by Jarboe

I knew I could count on you to dig Swans Clyde lol. You always had good music taste. Love the Wire drop earlier as they are Post Punk legends.

Yes gotta love 60s Clapton, and Jarboe is awesome. She was great in early Swans. Think she left in the 90s. She also did a cool collab album with Neurosis about 20 years ago.

Speaking of Neurosis, another one of my favs and Post/Sludge Metal pioneers:

Btw people, another good way to find new bands is if you have Spotify, just search for your favorite bands and then go to the “Fans Also Like” section on their page to see a list of 10 or so similar bands. Then you can just keep branching off from there into new bands. Spotify is only $10 a month for premium with no ads, and you get 95% of albums you could ever want, with many remasters and bonus tracks, so I def think it’s worth it.

Return to New York Knicks