ImageImageImageImageImage

Sessions / UPDATE p. 20: headed to Mini

Moderators: NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: Sessions Still On Tap 

Post#81 » by GuyverADL » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 am

stuporman wrote:Or he's following the plan he said all along, even with regard to the Knicks own RFA. A player could be desirable at one number but not at another number. Just because he doesn't feel the need to rush into paying more than he wants to, for cap reasons, or more than he has to, for the lack of offers. Doesn't mean he isn't trying to make the best deal for the Knicks in the long run. You may not like his method and patience, but it doesn't mean he isn't trying to improve the team while keeping his flexibility and options open.

You and I both agree Sessions isn't a perfect fit even if he is an upgrade over Duhon. So I actually appreciate Walsh trying to get the guy for the best deal he can so the player can still be a valued asset even in trade later this season or in the off season next summer if it doesn't work out fit wise. I'd rather him not sign Sessions or have the Bucks match as long as it means he doesn't overpay and blow 2010. He's not worth blowing too much of the wad but if he can get him for a steal of a deal then why not try, the guy would still be an asset. Just like he tried with Kidd. I'm sure Walsh would rather go to bat with Duhon, Nate and Douglas than waste cap space by overpaying. But he'd gladly welcome the guy at an undervalued contract.

No fake hustle, just a true plan....even if you don't agree with it.

Let me be crystal clear, I don't think Walsh wants Sessions. He offers the bare minimum so he can say see D'Antoni I tried. At the the end of the day Walsh appears to be giving D'Antoni final say. Of course the selection is getting slimmer by the day so Walsh will likely win this one.

D'Antoni needs to come off of his high horse and modify his system to fit the personnel.

I have no doubt Walsh would have no issue in paying Iverson, Tinsley, or Williams.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#82 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:42 am

GuyverADL wrote:
GONYK wrote:
GuyverADL wrote:This is the SOURCE of my issue.

We believe he can be a starter yet we want to offer him 4 million per for multiple years.

Walsh must not really want him then which goes back to FAKE HUSTLE.

You cant pinch pennies with UFA's. Walsh knows this.

To just go in with some general blanket way of handling the issue and not taking into account the specifics would be unwise. The specifics of the situation seem to indicate Milwaukee won't match. So Walsh is looking to take advantage and potentially get a steal. I don't see how issue can be taken with this.

Hammond is talking a good game. He says he wont go over the Lux tax yet he signs Warrick to a 3 million dollar deal. :roll:

He is probably saying that to keep bids for Sessions low. If GM's don't think Milwaukee will match they will come with a low offer. Hammond then matches and gets a steal.

I'd rather Walsh try and get a steal and have it not fall his way than overpay for a guy who isn't a perfect fit anyway. If Wash gets the steal awesome, if not, no sweat and then one more year of Duhon with finally some back-up in the form of a very enticing young guy who was the ACC scoring champion, ACC DPOY and runner up to the ACC POY. Oh yea...and the midget dunker...lol.

It would be sticking to the bigger picture and following a true plan.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#83 » by stuporman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:49 am

GuyverADL wrote:
stuporman wrote:Or he's following the plan he said all along, even with regard to the Knicks own RFA. A player could be desirable at one number but not at another number. Just because he doesn't feel the need to rush into paying more than he wants to, for cap reasons, or more than he has to, for the lack of offers. Doesn't mean he isn't trying to make the best deal for the Knicks in the long run. You may not like his method and patience, but it doesn't mean he isn't trying to improve the team while keeping his flexibility and options open.

You and I both agree Sessions isn't a perfect fit even if he is an upgrade over Duhon. So I actually appreciate Walsh trying to get the guy for the best deal he can so the player can still be a valued asset even in trade later this season or in the off season next summer if it doesn't work out fit wise. I'd rather him not sign Sessions or have the Bucks match as long as it means he doesn't overpay and blow 2010. He's not worth blowing too much of the wad but if he can get him for a steal of a deal then why not try, the guy would still be an asset. Just like he tried with Kidd. I'm sure Walsh would rather go to bat with Duhon, Nate and Douglas than waste cap space by overpaying. But he'd gladly welcome the guy at an undervalued contract.

Let me be crystal clear, I don't think Walsh wants Sessions. He offers the bare minimum so he can say see D'Antoni I tried. At the the end of the day Walsh appears to be giving D'Antoni final say. Of course the selection is getting slimmer by the day so Walsh will likely win this one.

D'Antoni needs to come off of his high horse and modify his system to fit the personnel.

I have no doubt Walsh would have no issue in paying Iverson, Tinsley, or Williams.

You may be right on Sessions and I would give Walsh props for saying to D', 'Ok, I'll go after your guy, but I won't kill 2010 in the process.' It would be a good relationship if D' responded with, 'Great, I understand, do what you gotta do, he can't shoot anyway, don't blow the wad on him but get him cheap if you can'. Also if Walsh said, 'We can get Iverson, Tinsley or Williams cheap if you want'. D' likely would have said 'Thanks but no thanks, not my guys.' That would show a working relationship with each side realizing the others situation and compromising.

I don't know if it went exactly that way, but it isn't too far fetched and they way they've played it so far sure smells like that. I like this true exchange of ideas...isn't it better than hurling fake hustle catch phrases?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#84 » by Smoke24 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 am

Well on a positive note, this is the first time in years (so far) that we haven't overpaid for somebody.

That is something not we're not used to.......
mhev35
Senior
And1: 11

Post#85 » by mhev35 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:12 am

Hahn is also reporting that sessions would be a restricted free agent next year if he took the QO.

via twitter
"Yes, I tweet corrected. Sessions would remain an RFA next season if he took the QO. Remember what we say on the Fix: Fallibility is sexy."

i cant believe that this is actually true, but if it is then this gives us even more leverage over the Sessions situation
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#86 » by PrecociousNeoph » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Is the Lee situation what's holding everything up including this?
“Bye, Felicia.”
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#87 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:14 pm

StutterStep wrote:
KnicksChamps wrote:First time I'm saying it. FAKE HUSTLE.
Didn't feeel good at all.

The "T" is silent or prounounced more like an 'S'. :D

Which means technically you can drop the last 'S' for savings.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#88 » by moocow007 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:20 pm

GuyverADL wrote:

Why wouldn't he not want Sessions? If he really didn't not want him then he could have gone after Felton and dared Larry Brown to match. Walsh loves NC guys right? What he doesn't appear to want is to bid against himself for a guy that, regardless of how much he may be worth just isn't getting any other offers from any other team that's even close. And the likeihood of the Bucks, who now have 3 PG's on their roster and who is only $1.6 million away from luxury tax being willing to match a $4 million per year offer (which would mean they would cost them $6.4 million next season to have Sessions be the 4th PG under contract) is slim to nil.

From the looks of it the hangup is Sessions agent trying to squeeze more out of Walsh and the Knicks (which is what he's supposed to do as an agent). But at some point I think reality will set in for Sessions camp that he either takes the QO to return to the Bucks or he takes Walsh's current offer (as it sure does not appear that Walsh is budging...ergo the FAKE HUSTLE).
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,416

Post#89 » by nyknicks09 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:34 pm

How sure are the Knicks that the Bucks won't match the offer?

The Clippers tried to do a S&T with the Bucks, right?

What type of deal is Walsh getting ready to offer Sessions that will make the Bucks say "We are not matching the offer".
New York Knicks
Lottery Bound
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#90 » by Lottery Bound » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

We should make one sticky thread titled "Sessions Watch" and whenever there's new bull$hit on wiretap about Ramon, a mod or the author of the thread can update it.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,435

Post#91 » by Capn'O » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:45 pm

stuporman wrote:This is totally 'fake hustle'.....by Hahn.

He suckered you gullible posters into believing he has any 'source'.

The reason Session would take a low offer like $4mil and second year declining is........drum roll please......there's no other offer. lol....too easy.

Wrohng is the single worst NY sports journalist I can remember in recent memory. That's saying a lot. For Nate, Lee, and Sessions he has now reported multiple varying and contradicting deals being offered. Moreover, he seems to have no comprehension that he is doing this and... if his sources are legit but varying in interest... offers no analysis of what these differences might mean. He may very well have sources on both sides of these deals but he just throws out numbers in a "we report, you decide" sort of way.

Walsh may well be doing a "fake hustle". Who knows. But I don't trust a word that comes out of this guy's mouth anymore. He just NEVER seems to have the scoop. I don't feel like I can honestly comment about any of Walsh's doings this summer until I see what sort of deals each party ends up receiving.

I suppose it's good to rile up the fanbase for awhile... but your act is starting to get tired, Mr. Wrohng. It looks like you have nothing or are too stupid to realize what you do have.

At least Poison Pete was entertaining with his barbs...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#92 » by GuyverADL » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:49 pm

moocow007 wrote:Why wouldn't he not want Sessions? If he really didn't not want him then he could have gone after Felton and dared Larry Brown to match. Walsh loves NC guys right? What he doesn't appear to want is to bid against himself for a guy that, regardless of how much he may be worth just isn't getting any other offers from any other team that's even close. And the likeihood of the Bucks, who now have 3 PG's on their roster and who is only $1.6 million away from luxury tax being willing to match a $4 million per year offer (which would mean they would cost them $6.4 million next season to have Sessions be the 4th PG under contract) is slim to nil.

From the looks of it the hangup is Sessions agent trying to squeeze more out of Walsh and the Knicks (which is what he's supposed to do as an agent). But at some point I think reality will set in for Sessions camp that he either takes the QO to return to the Bucks or he takes Walsh's current offer (as it sure does not appear that Walsh is budging...ergo the FAKE HUSTLE).

Walsh does not want to add salary so he doesn't really want him.

People keep saying the Bucks have too many PG's.

- Ukic wants to go back to Europe he has a player option for next year
- Ridnour is an expiring deal and likely gone
- Jennings is a rookie who might not mesh with Skiles

Hammond says they wont pay the tax yet he STILL waived Bowen and signs Warrick for 3 million. :roll:
Then he traded Amir Johnson(expiring) for a resigned Delfino. This tells me Hammond has no problem spending if the price is right just like Walsh.

If Sessions signs a cheap movable deal Milwaukee will match. They have until the end of season to get under the cap.

Dumping Redd and taking back 75% of his salary saves them 4.25 million. Think of New Jersey when they traded Carter for a pack of skittles.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 128,486

Post#93 » by god shammgod » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:16 pm

i'm still hoping some other team picks him up. this seems like such a mistake. if he really has such great upside wouldn't a lot of teams be interested since it only costs the mle or less to get him. when you find nobody else is really interested in a guy, it should tell you all you need to know about him.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#94 » by Thorn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:24 pm

Sessions is a young point with a lot of potential in my opinion, and I have to say I think he could grow into a good fit for us. The key word there is could, and Mr. Walsh knows that potential can kill a team, and over paying for it can hamstring a franchise. This is not fake hustle this is a GM who has been around and made mistakes and seen mistakes that hurt a team. He is not willing to do that, he has a plan and he is riding it out.

I like Sessions but at 3.5-4.5 max, and I would give him incentives. If the guy is truly a starting point guard he can earn his money on the floor. Right now he has limited interest due to cap room, and other reasons. Donnie Walsh has no reason to throw a big bag of money at the guy. His starting offer would not be an insult offer he is smarter, more shrewd than that and would not make such a mistake. He would not turn a guy off to signing with us by low balling him.

Does the player want more? Certainly. The agent? Of course. Now we don't want to over pay and we want to get a deal especially if the talent is not 100% proven or a perfect fit, and what Mr. Walsh is doing is his due diligence as a GM. Sometimes, if you can get a bargain and it is not going to break the bank you take it, period because you can eventually parlay that into another move. You do not take a chance on your future on such a risk however.

I have not seen Sessions play enough to truly say that he would be a great fit, I am hearing not and I trust in the knowledge of a lot of the posters on this forum. So if we can get him on the cheap sure, but if not pass.
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#95 » by hatnlvr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:33 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:This story gets more & more boring with each passing day. Sh_t or get off the pot,Donnie.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Walshes procrastination is just mind numbing!!!
ImageImage
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#96 » by BelieveTheDream » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:40 pm

hatnlvr wrote:
VinnyTheMick wrote:This story gets more & more boring with each passing day. Sh_t or get off the pot,Donnie.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Walshes procrastination is just mind numbing!!!

yupp
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,887

Post#97 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm

GuyverADL wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:Boy I sure do hope that Walsh hurries up so that posters dont get impatient.

Lord forbid we take our time and get the player we want at a price thats good for the franchise's future.

Sheesh, its like we have a board full of mini-Isiah's. The key point of this article is that Walsh refuses to bid against himself.

Grow up people. Training camp is eons away

Sessions is a RFA.

It was reported Milwaukee would NOT match a deal for the Full MLE.

Walsh is apparently offering 4 million. You think they wont match?

Milwaukee should send NY a thank you card for negotiating the contract for them.
you are far from an expert on salary negotiation and not privy to the inner workings of the knicks or Bucks so really you just talk smack and act like you are brilliant.

I trust Walsh way more than your name calling butt
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#98 » by TheBluest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:22 pm

GuyverADL wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Why wouldn't he not want Sessions? If he really didn't not want him then he could have gone after Felton and dared Larry Brown to match. Walsh loves NC guys right? What he doesn't appear to want is to bid against himself for a guy that, regardless of how much he may be worth just isn't getting any other offers from any other team that's even close. And the likeihood of the Bucks, who now have 3 PG's on their roster and who is only $1.6 million away from luxury tax being willing to match a $4 million per year offer (which would mean they would cost them $6.4 million next season to have Sessions be the 4th PG under contract) is slim to nil.

Walsh does not want to add salary so he doesn't really want him.

People keep saying the Bucks have too many PG's.

- Ukic wants to go back to Europe he has a player option for next year
- Ridnour is an expiring deal and likely gone
- Jennings is a rookie who might not mesh with Skiles

Hammond says they wont pay the tax yet he STILL waived Bowen and signs Warrick for 3 million. :roll:
Then he traded Amir Johnson(expiring) for a resigned Delfino. This tells me Hammond has no problem spending if the price is right just like Walsh.

If Sessions signs a cheap movable deal Milwaukee will match. They have until the end of season to get under the cap.

Dumping Redd and taking back 75% of his salary saves them 4.25 million. Think of New Jersey when they traded Carter for a pack of skittles.

No one thought Otis Smith would match Dallas offer for Gortat. Never think a team won't match this will only cause you to Fake Hustle. If the Bucks are sitting at $1.6mil Tax Thresh Hold then why all the lingering if it seems inevitable they won't match?
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#99 » by GuyverADL » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:23 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:you are far from an expert on salary negotiation and not privy to the inner workings of the knicks or Bucks so really you just talk smack and act like you are brilliant.

I trust Walsh way more than your name calling butt

:roll:

Great response.

I do not know the inner workings but I know Milwaukee hasn't been as thrifty as people are making it seem.

Show me 1 example of a team underbidding for a RFA and the home team NOT matching.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#100 » by GuyverADL » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm

TheBluest wrote:No one thought Otis Smith would match Dallas offer for Gortat. Never think a team won't match this will only cause you to Fake Hustle. If the Bucks are sitting at $1.6mil Tax Thresh Hold then why all the lingering if it seems inevitable they won't match?

Walsh has likely made an offer but Sessions is in no hurry to sign a less than stellar deal.

Return to New York Knicks