ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1881 » by Meat » Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 am

TerrenceClarke wrote:Album is super weak. It’s barley a hip hop album and is more experimental than anything. This is like the New version of Lauryn Hill Album.

Its also hardly any drums on this album. Smh lol.

Cry together my favorite

And the mother I sober song is the only songs I could listen.

There will be people acting like this the greatest thing made in years…..

Kendrick was out pacing Nas in making Albums I. The 2010s, now Nas is out pacing Kendrick. Embrassing from and MC perspective if you ask me.

are you using the "new version of lauryn hill" in some sort of pejorative way?
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1882 » by Meat » Sat May 14, 2022 6:52 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Album is dope, breath of fresh air compared to all the other **** dropping.

i loved it too, is it an age thing? is it maybe that he's talking about **** relevant to older millennials? materialism, culture, cheating, addiction, god, queerness is like 99% of what my friend circle and i talk about.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 18,266

Post#1883 » by SelbyCobra » Sat May 14, 2022 5:19 pm

I woke up early this morning and wanted to get my hated run in before the rest of the family woke up and it got hot outside. Since I absolutely loathe running, I listen to my favorite isht to give me a boost and to keep me from getting distracted. I also use it as an opportunity to listen to new stuff and get caught up on projects I missed out on. This morning I was excited because I finally had a space carved out to listen to Mr. Morale. I left my house, and walked to the main road, which is where I start running - usually for about 35-40 minutes or so.

But I simply couldn't run to this album. I'm not talking about a lack of crazy beats or driving production, but just the overall tone and tenor of the whole thing. I ended up just walking, and walking, and walking...and walking as it played. That's the best way I can sum up the album for me. Walking in the early morning as the sun comes up, all alone in your headphones before the heat of the day arrives, nobody around is a great space for this album. I don't think I'd enjoy this album in the car or around other people - regardless of whether or not they could hear it. It's really intense and personal, but also extremely theatrical and/or cinematic. Sonically, much of it feels like it could be the final senior year project at a performing arts college, and then on top of that the content is a LOT to handle.

Father Time, Count Me Out, and Savior all caught my attention. Momma I Sober came on and I loved the triumph of it, but was emotionally exhausted after listening to what was essentially two full albums of a man working through himself in therapy over artsy instrumentals. I really wanted that to be the end, but was glad when Mirror finished the project on a more conclusive/brighter note.

I was still 45 minutes from my house though, there was NO WAY I could make it back if I looped the album - they would have found me laid out on the curb. So I turned to It's Almost Dry to carry me home.

Rereading this it sounds like I didn't like it or enjoy it, but that wasn't the case. It's an impressive work to me, I just found it to be a LOT to handle, and its sound is both non-commercial and atypical. I'll go back to the performing arts school project analogy - I could totally see Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers on Broadway being the hottest new musical with $1,000 a ticket prices and winning all the Tonys a few years from now. :lol:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,774

Post#1884 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat May 14, 2022 8:43 pm

Meat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Album is dope, breath of fresh air compared to all the other **** dropping.

i loved it too, is it an age thing? is it maybe that he's talking about **** relevant to older millennials? materialism, culture, cheating, addiction, god, queerness is like 99% of what my friend circle and i talk about.

I don't think it's an age thing, not sure what people were expecting from him, he's been heading in this direction for a while and it thankfully doesn't sound like anything else.

I feel like most people listen to music as background or gym music now, nobody is really trying to digest anything, and this isn't really something you throw on at the gym to try and get a pump going.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1885 » by Meat » Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Meat wrote:

I don't think it's an age thing, not sure what people were expecting from him, he's been heading in this direction for a while and it thankfully doesn't sound like anything else.

I feel like most people listen to music as background or gym music now, nobody is really trying to digest anything, and this isn't really something you throw on at the gym to try and get a pump going.

isnt that the generational debate happening now. vibes v lyrics. oldheads like myself prefer lyricists
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,774

Post#1886 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun May 15, 2022 1:57 am

Meat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Meat wrote:i loved it too, is it an age thing? is it maybe that he's talking about **** relevant to older millennials? materialism, culture, cheating, addiction, god, queerness is like 99% of what my friend circle and i talk about.

isnt that the generational debate happening now. vibes v lyrics. oldheads like myself prefer lyricists

It was the same 20 and 30 years ago, the most popular rapper usually isn't the most lyrical. MC Hammer was dunking on everyone in the early 90s, same with Vanilla Ice. Just like back in the day though the most respected rappers are all guys who are lyricists (Cole, Kendrick etc), and Drake is basically the equivalent of like Nelly or LL Cool J, he's just much better at stealing other sounds to keep his fresh.

There's more trash rappers who have mainstream success though.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,475

Post#1887 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun May 15, 2022 3:51 pm

The lyrics isn’t really the problem. The production on this album doesn’t really fit him and the songs where he’s singing on super slow beats (like crown) are extremely boring. Knowing what Kendrick is capable of putting out, it’s a disappointing album imo.

It’s kinda like an experimental album like Yeezus. You’re either gonna love it or hate it. I hated yeezus :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1888 » by Meat » Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Meat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

It was the same 20 and 30 years ago, the most popular rapper usually isn't the most lyrical. MC Hammer was dunking on everyone in the early 90s, same with Vanilla Ice. Just like back in the day though the most respected rappers are all guys who are lyricists (Cole, Kendrick etc), and Drake is basically the equivalent of like Nelly or LL Cool J, he's just much better at stealing other sounds to keep his fresh.

There's more trash rappers who have mainstream success though.

right, but growing up if you liked vanilla ice or hammer people called you corny, i guess there was a clear distinction of music made for us v music made for them back then.
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 645

Post#1889 » by Galou » Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 am

Any Killah Priest fans in here? He's been dropping good stuff the past couple of years.

KP is probably the only Emcee that keeps my attention these days...

He be spitting that Annunaki 5 percenter Nuwaubian raps

My top 5

Nas
Sean Price
Killah Priest
Ghostface Killah
Krs1
F$+*k the Nets.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#1890 » by Meat » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:46 pm

found this today, so at least im not thinking about the draft. Push smiling a lot, malice cursing and wearing a rolex hopefully means album soon
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#1891 » by EricAnderson » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Kendricks album is creative and he’s talented lyrically as usual and touching on some deep subjects not alot of rappers do but from a music/entertainment standpoint I’m not in love with it.

Nothing to do with age I’m 42 and Kendrick is one of only a few rappers whove come out the last 20 years I like at all but this album doesn’t do it for me.

Maybe I’m biased towards rappers my era but I feel like KD2 and Magic were the best albums I’ve heard recently
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,496

Post#1892 » by WargamesX » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:53 pm

So we’re not going to talk about French Montana dropping his best album yet and maybe a classic?

Harry Fraud blessed him!!! :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,191

Post#1893 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 am

damn. had to dig for this one.

3toheadmelo wrote:.

yo, melo... more flygod taking it seriously. lauren snapped.

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,475

Post#1894 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:25 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:damn. had to dig for this one.

Not bad but at times I found his voice still annoying lol

Rome Streetz dropping his album Friday tho and westside gunn exec producing it. Should be a good one
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1895 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:00 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

Rome Streetz dropping his album Friday tho and westside gunn exec producing it. Should be a good one

oh yeah. been waiting on this one. he reminds me so much of elzhi with his voice and flow. and i mean that very much as a compliment.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1896 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 am

and god i love that song he's rapping over.

ONLY 5 got hit.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,624

Post#1897 » by Capn'O » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 am

Guys bad news. Coolio passed away :-(
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1898 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:36 am

Capn'O wrote:Guys bad news. Coolio passed away :-(

that is terrible news. RIP.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1899 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:51 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

oh yeah. been waiting on this one. he reminds me so much of elzhi with his voice and flow. and i mean that very much as a compliment.

rome streetz is amazing.

stove god. good lord.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,402

Post#1900 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sat Oct 1, 2022 4:30 am

'sup ppl. I'm not really a reader of this thread, but I thought I would see what you made of this track that someone showed me today as I'm curious as to what people think. In Portuguese, so ignore the meaning of the lyrics, I suppose, and just listen to the flow and the music(??). I have some random, maybe ill-informed ideas, but I'm not going to spoiler.

Return to New York Knicks