ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks select Rokas Jokubaitis (34th overall)

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Re: Knicks select Rokas Jokubaitis (34th overall) 

Post#361 » by cgmw » Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Sark wrote:
robillionaire wrote:I wouldn’t mind stashing him another year for development until the Knicks figure out how to clear out some of the clutter on the roster

When have the Knicks not had clutter on the roster? Every off-season we load up with new clutter, so we can sell shiney new objects to the fans.

In recent memory, the summer where they missed out on KD and the summer after that when most the 1 year deals expired

WTF? Seriously?

You mean the summer when they missed out on KD and signed Julius Randle? And the summer where the 1-year vets expired and then they re-signed half of them to extensions while also adding Fournier/Kemba?

Those summers?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,340

Post#362 » by The Lamma » Thu May 12, 2022 6:48 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:Thibodeau does not like playing young players because he demands perfection - specifically on defense. Young guys aren't perfect and, thus, do not get developed by Thibodeau properly. It is well known that Thibodeau prefers veterans, otherwise we wouldn't have seen Fournier, Burks, Taj, etc. get playing time the way they did. Or bringing back Noel, Rose and the rest on long term deals on a team that was mediocre at best.

Unless your name is Julius Randle. Then you can drag a$$ getting back on D, just take a nice leisurely jog to get back, and also sulk and mope your way to 40 minutes of PT. This more than anything made Thibs look like a fraud last year. He's supposed to be this defense first, hold people accountable kind of guy.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,101

Post#363 » by robillionaire » Thu May 12, 2022 7:55 pm

cgmw wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Sark wrote:

When have the Knicks not had clutter on the roster? Every off-season we load up with new clutter, so we can sell shiney new objects to the fans.

In recent memory, the summer where they missed out on KD and the summer after that when most the 1 year deals expired

WTF? Seriously?

You mean the summer when they missed out on KD and signed Julius Randle? And the summer where the 1-year vets expired and then they re-signed half of them to extensions while also adding Fournier/Kemba?

Those summers?

Yes, we had the most cap space in the nba going into those summers with very few if any long term commitments

I’m not talking about what they ultimately chose to do, I’m talking about their situation heading into those offseasons with plenty of open roster spots. Those would have been more ideal conditions to bring in someone like Jokubaitis who wants minutes.

Now we have a logjam of vets and beyond that also many rookies that we drafted over the past 2 years including the ones we are about to select next month. So it would be nearly impossible to find minutes for him unless they consolidate the roster. Even in 2023 when Kemba Rose and Burks are gone it might be tough unless they cut bait on some of the younger rookie contract players too
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#364 » by Polk377 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:34 pm

cgmw wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Sark wrote:

WTF? Seriously?

Those summers?

One guys "missing out" is another guys dodging a damn bullet.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#365 » by Jstock12 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:19 pm

robillionaire
RealGM

Post#366 » by robillionaire » Fri May 13, 2022 2:09 pm

Pretty cool that Jokibaitis won the rising stars award. If you look at this history of the award a lot of the past winners turned out to be pretty good. A lot of them were first round picks or even lottery picks. You have to think this guy would be a lottery pick at this point right? Maybe the Knicks actually didn’t do something stupid for once
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,537

Post#367 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 13, 2022 2:13 pm

Jstock12 wrote:

This kid is 6'4", great size for a point and terrific long range shooter. With Thibs developing his defense and the winner of the European rising star, he may surprise alot of folks.
Stop All Genocides
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#368 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 13, 2022 2:14 pm

robillionaire wrote:Pretty cool that Jokibaitis won the rising stars award. If you look at this history of the award a lot of the past winners turned out to be pretty good. A lot of them were first round picks or even lottery picks. You have to think this guy would be a lottery pick at this point right? Maybe the Knicks actually didn’t do something stupid for once

I would'n't say for once. This new management team has been quite astute at drafting in the 2nd round.
Stop All Genocides
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#369 » by robillionaire » Fri May 13, 2022 2:27 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
robillionaire wrote:Pretty cool that Jokibaitis won the rising stars award. If you look at this history of the award a lot of the past winners turned out to be pretty good. A lot of them were first round picks or even lottery picks. You have to think this guy would be a lottery pick at this point right? Maybe the Knicks actually didn’t do something stupid for once

I would'n't say for once. This new management team has been quite astute at drafting in the 2nd round.

Verdict is still out on that, I can’t say for sure McBride or Sims will make it in the NBA. Or Rokas. But there is room for optimism with them. I think those are their only second round picks, they had the 33rd pick in 2020 and traded it for a future 2nd.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Post#370 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Fri May 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

This kid is 6'4", great size for a point and terrific long range shooter. With Thibs developing his defense and the winner of the European rising star, he may surprise alot of folks.

Beautiful troll game recognized.
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#371 » by Juggynaut » Fri May 13, 2022 3:52 pm

He's definitely a lotto pick in this draft. Which speaks to how **** this draft is.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#372 » by robillionaire » Fri May 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Juggynaut wrote:He's definitely a lotto pick in this draft. Which speaks to how **** this draft is.

That’s kinda what I’m wondering. I was thinking at least a mid to late first. But prior winners of the award have lottery picks such as Luka, Bargnani, Rubio, Gallinari. I don’t know if I would put him on that level but other guys like Bogdanovic, Rudy Fernandez, Goga Bitazde, Garuba, Nikola Mirotic, were mid/late first rounders. And then Kostas Papanikolaou selected 48. I guess I’m just trying to find out exactly how much hype this dude would actually have if he was entering the draft
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,340

Post#373 » by The Lamma » Fri May 13, 2022 4:35 pm

I can't shake the feeling he'll never play for us. We'll find some way to screw this up. He'll be what looks like a throw-in in some deal then turn out to be a good player somewhere else for some West Conference team. Plus the Knicks aren't legally allowed to have a real point guard who can actually distribute the fcking basketball properly.

Spoiler:
I'd love to be wrong about this. Please let me be wrong
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#374 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 13, 2022 5:49 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Verdict is still out on that, I can’t say for sure McBride or Sims will make it in the NBA. Or Rokas. But there is room for optimism with them. I think those are their only second round picks, they had the 33rd pick in 2020 and traded it for a future 2nd.

I think we can say that both McBride and Simms have careers in the NBA. Whether that's on the Knicks is a different story.

Both young men posses skills that on one hand is possibly elite defense and the other is elite athleticism. But like you said let the verdict be decided on the floor this coming year.
Stop All Genocides
Zenzibar
General Manager

Post#375 » by Zenzibar » Fri May 13, 2022 5:50 pm

Juggynaut wrote:He's definitely a lotto pick in this draft. Which speaks to how **** this draft is.

Even if he is a mid-1st, we got HUGE value out of our 2nd round pick.
Stop All Genocides
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#376 » by bleedblue3303 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:50 am

We continually frustrate me Next years starting lineup should be nothing short of IQ starting and Rokas as the backup. Instead we are chasing Brunson for 20 million a year. We never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,842

Post#377 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

He also looks kind of slow. Then again, so does Kyle Anderson and Josh Giddy, and yet they succeed.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,842

Post#378 » by thebuzzardman » Sat May 14, 2022 1:03 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:We continually frustrate me Next years starting lineup should be nothing short of IQ starting and Rokas as the backup. Instead we are chasing Brunson for 20 million a year. We never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Don't worry. Knicks won't get Brunson or Mitchell or any other chance to make the team actually better, though Mitchell would probably have been a net negative considering the Knicks would have to gut their team and future drafts to have a remote chance of landing him.

Instead, Knicks will drop 10 million x 4 years on Ty Jones so he can block IQ and Rokas BOTH.

Because the Knicks are forever reaching for the mediocre vet who will "help the team now"
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#379 » by j4remi » Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm

If it's any consolation for those who feel (justifiably) that murphy's law will apply to Rokas ever playing in a Knicks jersey...He had an interview not too long ago where he mentioned that the Knicks have had a bunch of communication with his agent and were present for the Copa Del Ray where he played really well. So the Knicks have been present and shown signs of belief in the kid.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,527

Post#380 » by DOT » Sat May 14, 2022 3:30 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:

He also looks kind of slow. Then again, so does Kyle Anderson and Josh Giddy, and yet they succeed.

Yeah, I think he lacks the burst and handle to really be a primary ball handler

He's shown potential as a shooter, so he can play off ball, but I think he's gonna be more of a combo guard type in the NBA

His best case scenario imo is someone who can come in off the bench, do a little bit of everything, and hold down the fort for the starters to get some rest. Like a 7th or 8th man, which would be pretty good from a 2nd round pick.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks