ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,587

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 + Chimaev vs Usman 

Post#1101 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw

Colby getting on political fox news to claim he lost due to his political leanings is…kinda pathetic. Everyone that watched that fight knows he lost and looked terrible doing it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,111

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2 + Chimaev vs Usman 

Post#1102 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:47 am

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=c7eg_0vf10KosEyBJaEgQw

Colby getting on political fox news to claim he lost due to his political leanings is…kinda pathetic. Everyone that watched that fight knows he lost and looked terrible doing it.

Pussy move. I guess he knows that his career is over and now is on to becoming a grifter for MAGA.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1103 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:48 am

So this happened ...

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1104 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So this happened ...

Context for the fight. Tenshin was fighting and competing at around 120-125 lbs at the time this fight was booked; Floyd was probably closer to 150. They did a catch weight but if I’m not mistaken, Floyd missed weight. Then in the late lead up to the event; Floyd demanded rules changes and threatened to leave one of the promotion’s biggest shows without a main event if he didn’t get concessions.

Initially, people expected tenshin to be allowed to kick to the body and legs. But it wound up being a traditional boxing match which left tenshin wildly undersized and inexperienced going up against a GOAT-level fighter in the GOAT’s discipline.

Ppl even claimed “it’s a fix” bc of how one sided it wound up being. I just think tenshin’s camp got blindsided by the late changes.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/07/floyd-mayweather-tenshin-nasukawa-fight
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1105 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So this happened ...

Context for the fight. Tenshin was fighting and competing at around 120-125 lbs at the time this fight was booked; Floyd was probably closer to 150. They did a catch weight but if I’m not mistaken, Floyd missed weight. Then in the late lead up to the event; Floyd demanded rules changes and threatened to leave one of the promotion’s biggest shows without a main event if he didn’t get concessions.

Initially, people expected tenshin to be allowed to kick to the body and legs. But it wound up being a traditional boxing match which left tenshin wildly undersized and inexperienced going up against a GOAT-level fighter in the GOAT’s discipline.

Ppl even claimed “it’s a fix” bc of how one sided it wound up being. I just think tenshin’s camp got blindsided by the late changes.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/07/floyd-mayweather-tenshin-nasukawa-fight

Whoopsie! Tenshin's side got fcked. :lol:

I hope that, at least, he got paid well. Chump move by Floyd.
Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,529

Post#1106 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:48 pm

Deontay Wilder got taken to school yesterday by Joseph Parker

Not sure how Wilder escaped the 8th round after receiving a thorough beating.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1107 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:59 pm

Inoue is an animal

Read on Twitter
?t=VZJAZov7bsyjstqZacAQQw&s=19

He lands some absolutely sickening shots throughout this bout. It ends with a KO right through Tapales' guard.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1108 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Inoue is an animal

Read on Twitter

He lands some absolutely sickening shots throughout this bout. It ends with a KO right through Tapales' guard.

Naoya is one of my favorite boxers to watch, crazy power in a small package...kinda reminds me of Pacman in that aspect (just the power, not the styles).
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1109 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:12 pm

We still have another week and a half until more UFC, but Rizin had their NYE event and my boy Kyoji Horiguchi (aka the 125'er with the best chance to beat Pantoja and Moreno) showed up to take their Flyweight title...

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He also proposed to his GF after the fight, so congrats on the engagement to Horiguchi, my favorite non-UFC fighter (Cedric Doumbe might steal that title soon though).

Another great RIZIN fighter, Kai Asakura KO'ed Bellator standout Juan Archuleta

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Asakura's only recent losses are to Manel Kape and Horiguchi from above...dude packs a LOT of power and beat Horiguchi the first time they fought (flash KO). He'd be an interesting guy to see come fight in UFC or PFL.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1110 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:18 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Inoue is an animal

Read on Twitter

Naoya is one of my favorite boxers to watch, crazy power in a small package...kinda reminds me of Pacman in that aspect (just the power, not the styles).

Naoya is must watch TV, and yes his power and tenacity remind me of Manny too.

I'm not even joking, but I'm waiting for the day he makes someone sh*t themselves in the ring from one of those horrific body shots he hands out. What he does to opponents is just awful.

I would not want to fight that guy, I'm like twice his size and I would be scared. Those hands travel too fast and hit way too hard :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1111 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:22 pm

j4remi wrote:We still have another week and a half until more UFC, but Rizin had their NYE event and my boy Kyoji Horiguchi (aka the 125'er with the best chance to beat Pantoja and Moreno) showed up to take their Flyweight title...

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He also proposed to his GF after the fight, so congrats on the engagement to Horiguchi, my favorite non-UFC fighter (Cedric Doumbe might steal that title soon though).

Another great RIZIN fighter, Kai Asakura KO'ed Bellator standout Juan Archuleta

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Asakura's only recent losses are to Manel Kape and Horiguchi from above...dude packs a LOT of power and beat Horiguchi the first time they fought (flash KO). He'd be an interesting guy to see come fight in UFC or PFL.

:eek2: @ that knee. Absolutely not!!!!! There's not enough money on earth that can convince me to take that

shout out to the ref for letting dude land those four shots before stopping it :lol: :(

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1112 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Naoya is must watch TV, and yes his power and tenacity remind me of Manny too.

I'm not even joking, but I'm waiting for the day he makes someone sh*t themselves in the ring from one of those horrific body shots he hands out. What he does to opponents is just awful.

I would not want to fight that guy, I'm like twice his size and I would be scared. Those hands travel too fast and hit way too hard :lol:

You know it's a monster when boxing fans start asking if he can put on enough weight to fight Tank Davis some day :lol: ...that's about 20 lbs away from fruition which is too much.

I'm a huge stan for body punchers (I credit my Puerto Rican bias, as we've had signature body punchers out of Puerto Rico for most of my life...Cotto and Tito of course).

MrDollarBills wrote:
:eek2: @ that knee. Absolutely not!!!!! There's not enough money on earth that can convince me to take that

shout out to the ref for letting dude land those four shots before stopping it :lol: :(

Absolute ART. This dude's KO reel is epic. He lands those well-timed knees a lot, like to start this KO sequence on my dude Horiguchi.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Or the guy he kneed out of the ring
Read on Twitter
?s=20

and he has some freakish stuff like this
Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's really good!
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1113 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 2, 2024 9:37 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Naoya is must watch TV, and yes his power and tenacity remind me of Manny too.

You know it's a monster when boxing fans start asking if he can put on enough weight to fight Tank Davis some day :lol: ...that's about 20 lbs away from fruition which is too much.

I'm a huge stan for body punchers (I credit my Puerto Rican bias, as we've had signature body punchers out of Puerto Rico for most of my life...Cotto and Tito of course).

MrDollarBills wrote:

Absolute ART. This dude's KO reel is epic. He lands those well-timed knees a lot, like to start this KO sequence on my dude Horiguchi.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Or the guy he kneed out of the ring
Read on Twitter
?s=20

and he has some freakish stuff like this
Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's really good!

Inoue going up 20 pounds is ridiculous. At some point people just need to accept greatness at a certain weight class(es) and not demand guys go up a stupid amount of weight to fight against bigger opponents just because their name carries weight (no pun intended). Same stuff right now with people wanting Bud and Canelo to fight at a catch weight, I hate watching compromised fighters.

That armbar slam was sickening, look at the way dude's head bounced :o I hope they took him to a hospital after that.

I need to check for this guy's fights :lol:

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1114 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:00 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Inoue going up 20 pounds is ridiculous. At some point people just need to accept greatness at a certain weight class(es) and not demand guys go up a stupid amount of weight to fight against bigger opponents just because their name carries weight (no pun intended). Same stuff right now with people wanting Bud and Canelo to fight at a catch weight, I hate watching compromised fighters.

That armbar slam was sickening, look at the way dude's head bounced :o I hope they took him to a hospital after that.

Yeah, I feel like everyone's chasing the P4P rivalries that made the 4-Kings era a GOAT contender. But that's a rare occurrence in any era, let alone in a time when promoters are greedier than ever, there are more divisions, and there are multiple promotional belts in each division. It's a combination that encourages promoters to shield fighters from threats (mandatory title defenses make a great excuse to dodge an opponent even when negotiations don't break down), which limits the amount of great fighters and keeps them away from great rivalries.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1115 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:05 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:You left out the Ian Garry stuff. But given all of the other crap, that's understandable. :lol:

Your favorite rivalry is back Wingo :lol:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This would have been a great time for Garry to keep his mouth shut and let karma do its thing...both these dudes need some better advisors.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1116 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:28 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:You left out the Ian Garry stuff. But given all of the other crap, that's understandable. :lol:

Your favorite rivalry is back Wingo :lol:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This would have been a great time for Garry to keep his mouth shut and let karma do its thing...both these dudes need some better advisors.

:lol: "As The UFC Turns" or "General UFC" or ...

Sean apparently has no filter whatsoever.

Are Garry and Strickland in the same weight class?

EDIT: Update. Garry is a tool. :lol:

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1117 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:00 am

Remi, why is Michael Chandler allowing Conor to jerk him around like he has. Conor wants to fight at 185 lbs.? That's crazy. I understand that Chandler wants the pay day but Conor's going to fck him in the end and Chandler will be left holding onto his dick.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1118 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 3, 2024 4:48 am

HarthorneWingo wrote: :lol: "As The UFC Turns" or "General UFC" or ...

Sean apparently has no filter whatsoever.

Are Garry and Strickland in the same weight class?

EDIT: Update. Garry is a tool. :lol:

:lol: Ian Garry's definitely a bit of a tool, but this dude's hating. There's no way Dana White and Chael Sonnen would help an unestablished cat like Ian lie about pneumonia. Garry's in Brazil at the Chute Box Academy, which is a legendary gym. I'm pretty sure he's there because he's an MMA nerd at heart. But I do think Garry's a dork that keeps trying too hard. He'd be way more likable as the goofy MMA geek (like Izzy before he got weird). Instead, we get a cringey Conor impersonation.

Geoff Neal is really good anyway. Shavkhat hit Neal with EVERYTHING and had to go for a choke to put him away. I think Geoff will catch Garry eventually because his defense is pretty shaky as it is, and most Chute Box fighters are ALL OFFENSE.

HarthorneWingo wrote:Remi, why is Michael Chandler allowing Conor to jerk him around like he has. Conor wants to fight at 185 lbs.? That's crazy. I understand that Chandler wants the pay day but Conor's going to fck him in the end and Chandler will be left holding onto his dick.

Fam, I 100% co-sign that this is foolishness. The Conor payday is massive, so I kinda get it. But I have zero faith that Conor will fight again, and I'll stay skeptical until he makes weight the day before any announced fight.

One issue for Chandler is that every other fight is risky. Every fighter in the top 8 is a threat to beat him. He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights, so he really can't afford to lose. If you told me to pick between fighting Arman Tsarukyan next month or crossing my fingers in case Conor gives me a payday...I'll wait :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1119 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:47 pm

Sean must’ve said something wild because check out Dana’s reaction as he pushes them apart very quickly. This is going to be a banger. Can’t wait.

Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1120 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:41 pm

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah, I feel like everyone's chasing the P4P rivalries that made the 4-Kings era a GOAT contender. But that's a rare occurrence in any era, let alone in a time when promoters are greedier than ever, there are more divisions, and there are multiple promotional belts in each division. It's a combination that encourages promoters to shield fighters from threats (mandatory title defenses make a great excuse to dodge an opponent even when negotiations don't break down), which limits the amount of great fighters and keeps them away from great rivalries.

I doubt we'll ever see anything like The 4 Kings ever again. The sport is such a mess.

Return to New York Knicks