ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 3 UFC 300: Pereira vs Hill, Zhang vs Xionan, BMF Gaethje vs Holloway

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#41 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Guano wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Guano wrote:Piorier is going to piece tf outta Oliveira. His boxing is too good. Oliveira doesn't have the defense and his chin is suspect. Late 1st or early 2nd.

Or I'm way off and Oliveira chokes out Poirier.

Either way we're in for one of those fights that's gets the blood pumping. Can't wait.

It's going to be INTENSE. They're both super aggressive with crazy finishing rates considering the competition. I really can't wait.

the more i think about it the more i'm talking myself into Poirier dog walking Chucky Olives. Oliveira's best win in this stretch is against Chandler who, while facing top comp in the UFC, is under 500. other than that his best win is against a washed, all love, Ferg. Other than that those wins on this stretch aren't too impressive. 2 of the wins are guys who are cut and the other 2 are guys outta the top 15.

And chandler was dominated him in that first round too before he landed the knock out in 2nd

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Guano
RealGM
And1: 42,092

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 3: Holloway vs Yair + Leon Edwards needs an opponent 

Post#42 » by Guano » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:46 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
Guano wrote:
j4remi wrote:
It's going to be INTENSE. They're both super aggressive with crazy finishing rates considering the competition. I really can't wait.

the more i think about it the more i'm talking myself into Poirier dog walking Chucky Olives. Oliveira's best win in this stretch is against Chandler who, while facing top comp in the UFC, is under 500. other than that his best win is against a washed, all love, Ferg. Other than that those wins on this stretch aren't too impressive. 2 of the wins are guys who are cut and the other 2 are guys outta the top 15.

And chandler was dominated him in that first round too before he landed the knock out in 2nd

im of the opinion - that if that wasn't a championship fight/main event or mario yamisaki wasn't the ref it would have been stopped.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,211

Post#43 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Guano wrote:Piorier is going to piece tf outta Oliveira. His boxing is too good. Oliveira doesn't have the defense and his chin is suspect. Late 1st or early 2nd.

Or I'm way off and Oliveira chokes out Poirier.

Either way we're in for one of those fights that's gets the blood pumping. Can't wait.

Look at what Oliveira did to Chandler.

i saw the fight and what i saw was chandler "almost" had Oliveira outta there and in a lot of fights the ref would have stopped that sht.

They reviewed it UFC Countdown the other night. I think if the round hadn't ended, then maybe. But to stop the fight at that point, I think, would've been the bad call. But, no doubt, Oliveira was in trouble. I mean, you could be right. We'll see soon.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#44 » by j4remi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:34 am

Upsets like crazy so far. Ryan Hall looked insane on the ground. But the young prospects, Costa and Maverick both got smoked.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#45 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:51 am

Bam Bam and The Shoey. I had no idea. LOL
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#46 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:52 am

j4remi wrote:Upsets like crazy so far. Ryan Hall looked insane on the ground. But the young prospects, Costa and Maverick both got smoked.

Ryan Hall is my man. Who’s next for him?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#47 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:00 am

Don’t know the striking stats but on the eye test I give it to Emmett
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#48 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:06 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Don’t know the striking stats but on the eye test I give it to Emmett

He looks like a 155er i think he actually could be better without such a big cut, seem to be a bit gassed mid way through 2nd

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Guano
RealGM

Post#49 » by Guano » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:03 am

Fck Yay Pena!
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,447

Post#50 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:11 am

WOW!

Amanda didnt look like her self out there, im shook :D
im bout dat action boss
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#51 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:14 am

Wow

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

Guano
RealGM

Post#52 » by Guano » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:49 am

That sucked.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#53 » by j4remi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:05 am

I ordered the fights but was at a Christmas party so I’m on my way to watch them. My phone didn’t stop going off with people losing it over pena. Then of course…my guy do Bronx proved me wrong! It goes Max, Horiguchi, and then Oliveira when I rate my favorite fighters. Not p4p or anything; but the guys I root for the hardest. I’m really happy for Oliveira!
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#54 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:07 am

She shocked the world! :o :clap:

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#55 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:33 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:WOW!

Amanda didnt look like her self out there, im shook :D

Without knowing all the info, it's hard to say why this happened. But if I was to take a guess, I'd say Amanda just slacked off her training. I'm assuming that she'll get her rematch and with that an opportunity to re-commit herself to the sport. Losing is what motivates most competitors.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by j4remi » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Wow! Just got finished with the key fights. Kai Kara-France looked great, Cody seemed like he wasn't adjusted to the speed change. He's fast 135, but not so much at 125 it seemed in this one.

O'Malley is still a great prospect. He has crazy pop, good variety, and his feints are top-notch. That striking combo makes it tough to know how well he'll handle other areas of the game when pressed, but moving up the ladder will get us there. It's a stacked division.

Pena's win gave me goosebumps legit. It was a pure show of willpower. She didn't have some special trick or silver bullet; she bit down on the mouthpiece and swung back whenever Nunes swung. Sometimes she got hit, sometimes she hit, but never backing down. Nunes really burned out from the first round grappling and having to throw so much volume to keep Pena off her.

Oliveira is just plain dope fam. He'd thrown and landed standing elbows, knees, hooks, straight punches, and front kicks inside of the first two damned minutes. Poirier hit him with everything and Oliveira just kept going. I still don't like how reckless Do Bronx's style is, it puts him in danger for a flash KO. But it means he controls the pace of the fight and Poirier really did fall back similar to how he faded vs Khabib.

Ironically, Nunes and Poirier kinda ran into the same thing. They both typically can use their power to control the pace of the fight. That lets them sit back and pace themselves. Oliveira and Pena had to take damage to throw them off their typical rhythms. That body work by Charles was really masterful too...the knees and front kicks were just great.

Really great card to end the year. It was probably brutal for Dana though. Kayla Harrison hype fight ruined; Poirier's marketability off the Khabib and Conor fights doesn't get a belt attached; and a bunch of their prospects slipped up earlier. Costa and Maverick got crushed.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,556

Post#57 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:51 pm

Guano wrote:Fck Yay Pena!

I almost much like I assume a lot of people put money on Pena and was almost in tears watching the fight. I believe at one point a 100 would've won you a G. :lol:
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,556

Post#58 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 pm

j4remi wrote:Wow! Just got finished with the key fights. Kai Kara-France looked great, Cody seemed like he wasn't adjusted to the speed change. He's fast 135, but not so much at 125 it seemed in this one.

O'Malley is still a great prospect. He has crazy pop, good variety, and his feints are top-notch. That striking combo makes it tough to know how well he'll handle other areas of the game when pressed, but moving up the ladder will get us there. It's a stacked division.

Pena's win gave me goosebumps legit. It was a pure show of willpower. She didn't have some special trick or silver bullet; she bit down on the mouthpiece and swung back whenever Nunes swung. Sometimes she got hit, sometimes she hit, but never backing down. Nunes really burned out from the first round grappling and having to throw so much volume to keep Pena off her.

Oliveira is just plain dope fam. He'd thrown and landed standing elbows, knees, hooks, straight punches, and front kicks inside of the first two damned minutes. Poirier hit him with everything and Oliveira just kept going. I still don't like how reckless Do Bronx's style is, it puts him in danger for a flash KO. But it means he controls the pace of the fight and Poirier really did fall back similar to how he faded vs Khabib.

Ironically, Nunes and Poirier kinda ran into the same thing. They both typically can use their power to control the pace of the fight. That lets them sit back and pace themselves. Oliveira and Pena had to take damage to throw them off their typical rhythms. That body work by Charles was really masterful too...the knees and front kicks were just great.

Really great card to end the year. It was probably brutal for Dana though. Kayla Harrison hype fight ruined; Poirier's marketability off the Khabib and Conor fights doesn't get a belt attached; and a bunch of their prospects slipped up earlier. Costa and Maverick got crushed.

It just looked like Nunes either didn't have a game plan or didn't think she needed a game plan. It was a little bit sad to see someone as good as her underestimate her opponent like that. A simple game plan like really focusing on establishing the leg kick before she started unloading her right hand probably would've won her the fight. Or making a concerted effort to not unload early until she had Pena up against the cage. I think almost any type of plan other than just trying to knock the chick out would've worked for her.

Olivera is something else man.. he's like a swarm of bees.. little nicks here and there, a few knees and kicks and then he's climbing all over you and you can't get him off or keep him at bay. I think he may hold that belt for a minute.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#59 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:14 am

So how significant was the Oliveira glove-grab?

Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,447

Post#60 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:29 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:So how significant was the Oliveira glove-grab?

im going out on a limb and say it. Every god damn fighter does it from time to time. i've seen it. Kamaru vs colby for example. By no means am i a colby supporter or fan, but kamaru faught rly dirty in that fight couple weeks back. i saw at least one semi intentional headbutt and definitley grabbing a glove here and there. i think colby wouldve won, if it wasnt for kamaru fighting "dirty".

im doing bjj myself and im sure everybody in this thread understands how big it is to control the wrists and hands in a grappling scenario. in that specific occasion, id say it was pretty huge. Dustin basically got up and escaped the armlock, but got held in it by the glove grab, then did the roll that gave oliveira all control back.

it kinda suprised me tho, since porier is no slouch when it comes to bjj either, well not on the level of do bronx but hes still a black belt. i understand how dangerous do bronx is on the ground (or even standing lol, that was one of the best back takes ive seen). but i would've expected dustin to at least try a little bit.

At the end of the day, he got caught clean in the 3rd. 1st round was dustins, i believe. 2nd one for oliveira. so, im not hating on do bronx for that because i know it sometimes is reflex to do something a bit dirty to keep a good position or what not. and i know pretty much everybody does it from time to time. Charles has no history of being a dirty fighter. so i give him the benefit of the doubt. but cant deny it helped dominating the 2nd round.
im bout dat action boss

Return to New York Knicks