ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,635

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#1521 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:05 pm

Chainsaw Man Chapter 158

Spoiler:
The Asa/Yoru and Fami team up is unhinged.

I feel refreshed after that read.

Between Fujimoto, Tatsu, and Hokazono, the world Toriyama left behind is in good hands.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,164

Post#1522 » by TerrenceClarke » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm

j4remi wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:
j4remi wrote:
It's a lot of fun. We've had a few Persona related discussions recently, the series is a great spin on the collecting and building teams RPG mechanics.

Sifu is crack too. I still can't beat the final boss. I can reach him with 4 or 5 deaths to spare, but can't get past him. The arena mode they added had me playing it like crazy, so I tried again and I'm still giving up way too many years to the last few bosses. But I'm gonna beat it someday.

Sifu is kicking my ass lol. Haven’t made it pass the club yet.

:lol: fam, it took me a LONG time to get past the club. But I felt like after I had the club down, the next couple of levels were easier to wrap my head around.

I know the arena mode says to wait until you've beaten the game, but there are some challenges that act as really good practice. They have a few missions where you're not allowed to block, so you HAVE to master parrying. I'd suggest trying those missions out, because if you can get good at parrying, everything else builds out from there.

Yeah I just been practicing before I go back in the club. I will try the arena out cause that message did deter me from playing it.

I just beat Persona 5 royal second palace. So im pretty much all in at this point on P5R. :lol:
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,819

Post#1523 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 pm

I finally finished Last Airbender. It's not bad...actually, it kinda reinforces how strong the IP is. I played some Airbender games as a teenager but I feel like there's so much potential. I'm actually not sure about the main character's acting, but it's a kid. Can't really fault him too much. I think they expand more on some other character's motivations and I think that adds something new.

Definitely glad Netflix produced this and that more seasons are coming. The original tv show still is the best, and even though some episodes may feel like filler, I think they add a lot and they're still very entertaining.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,524

Post#1524 » by DOT » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:59 pm

I decided I probably wasn't gonna watch the live action ATLA once the original creators left the process, I was gonna wait and see what the reaction was when it came out

And from what I hear, it's fine but like, it doesn't do anything better than the original show which is like, kind of the thing right if you're not adding to it or building off of an original work, there's no reason to make it. I think Mother's Basement the YouTuber made a good point in his video about it that part of the issue with adapting works like this to live action is because so much of it is CGI, you're basically just reanimating it but more expensively and generally worse looking, and you have to remove a ton of stuff from the animated version because every time you show a creature from that world that doesn't exist or an action scene, that's time and resources not being spent on other stuff so you have to cut down heavily on that aspect of the story

Plus some of the decisions made just kinda show they fundamentally don't understand the point of the original show

It's not the worst thing in the world I'm led to believe, it's just not really good. Hopefully with knowing they get 2 more seasons they can clean up some of the plotting, but I'm just rewatching the original series because it's just better.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1525 » by TerrenceClarke » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:02 pm

That show is terrible. I watched the first episode and saw that they are changing the story and turned it off. I cant fundamentally watch something where they alter things when the original story is perfect. They not bringing context they are changing it. Nasty Work

Avatar is one of the few shows where I can say its flawless imo.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1526 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:20 pm

DOT wrote:I decided I probably wasn't gonna watch the live action ATLA once the original creators left the process, I was gonna wait and see what the reaction was when it came out

And from what I hear, it's fine but like, it doesn't do anything better than the original show which is like, kind of the thing right if you're not adding to it or building off of an original work, there's no reason to make it. I think Mother's Basement the YouTuber made a good point in his video about it that part of the issue with adapting works like this to live action is because so much of it is CGI, you're basically just reanimating it but more expensively and generally worse looking, and you have to remove a ton of stuff from the animated version because every time you show a creature from that world that doesn't exist or an action scene, that's time and resources not being spent on other stuff so you have to cut down heavily on that aspect of the story

Plus some of the decisions made just kinda show they fundamentally don't understand the point of the original show

It's not the worst thing in the world I'm led to believe, it's just not really good. Hopefully with knowing they get 2 more seasons they can clean up some of the plotting, but I'm just rewatching the original series because it's just better.

Yah tbh, I’ve felt that way about some of the properties that go live action, but in this case, it feels like more popularity and attention might get more projects greenlit. It seems like they’re doing some work on a sequel to the original series now, which would be awesome.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1527 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:36 pm

Heard that Persona 6 is coming out next year fwiw

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1528 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Heard that Persona 6 is coming out next year fwiw

This the number one game on my wish list... I have known about it for some time. Its prob the reason im playing person 5 now i wanted to get an understanding of the mechanics with social stuff etc.

In some ways its "persona 6". Its an all new IP from Atlus. They said they are improving on everything they learned from Persona series.

Its the persona mechanics in a whole new universe. It comes out in the fall.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1529 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:27 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:

This the number one game on my wish list... I have known about it for some time. Its prob the reason im playing person 5 now i wanted to get an understanding of the mechanics with social stuff etc.

In some ways its "persona 6". Its an all new IP from Atlus. They said they are improving on everything they learned from Persona series.

Now this looks intriguing.

There's another game Atlus just released. A tactical RPG called Unicorn Overlord. I heard it's phenomenal

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1530 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:

There's another game Atlus just released. A tactical RPG called Unicorn Overlord. I heard it's phenomenal

yeah those kinds of games are not really my thing. But yeah it has been getting good reviews. prob gonna get Persona 3 after 5.

I was sleeping on P5 for mad long. I knew it was considered a legendary game, but its def been a good game so far for me. I stopped playing other games because of it.

All I kept thinking was a american version of persona 5 would be so crazy. I wish they had like a black student in the game write him as an echange student or something. I saw one black person in persona 5 so far and he was a bouncer for a club. :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1531 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:33 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:

yeah those kinds of games are not really my thing. But yeah it has been getting good reviews. prob gonna get Persona 3 after 5.

I was sleeping on P5 for mad long. I knew it was considered a legendary game, but its def been a good game so far for me. I stopped playing other games because of it.

All I kept thinking was a american version of persona 5 would be so crazy. I wish they had like a black student in the game write him as an echange student or something. I saw one black person in persona 5 so far and he was a bouncer for a club. :lol:

Yeah i would love to see some Black folks in Persona 6. I heard the rumor is that the next game will have a college based setting, maybe there will be an exchange student character or something :lol:

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#1532 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:16 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:yeah those kinds of games are not really my thing. But yeah it has been getting good reviews. prob gonna get Persona 3 after 5.

Random story: When they localized the original Persona for PSOne, they redid some character designs and turned a Japanese character black for the American audience. But all the remakes for PSP and beyond went back to the original designs, so for a while, I thought I'd lost my damned mind.

It's random as hell, but I remember being CONFUSED AS HELL when I first saw the light-skinned version of this dude.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1533 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:20 pm

For my One Piece brothers

KnicksGadfly
RealGM

Post#1534 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:24 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:

Shyt, that looks amazing. I actually first started playing Shin Megami Tensei, then flipped over to Persona (which I'm seriously glad I did). Heard they're remaking Persona 4, but I don't think I'll be touching that...too soon for me. I only finished it a year ago I think.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1535 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Now this looks intriguing.

Vanilla Ware is a really dope game developer. Dragon's Crown is the closest thing to modern Golden Axe we've ever gotten..moreso than the new gen Golden Axe games even :lol:

I contemplated copping Unicorn Overlord just to support, but I'm already on a backlog and next month is when Eiyuden Chronicles and Suikoden's remaster come out. Suikoden is my favorite RPG series of all time, and Eiyuden Chronicles brought back basically the entire original team. So I'm gonna be going in when those drop.

The big feature for Suikoden was that there was a cast of 108 recruitable characters, and most could join your party for battles. You get a castle early on, and as you increase your roster, the castle grows, and the newcomers add things like shops and inns. Plus, certain character sets would have combos, so it was fun to experiment. The stories were always good, and I know a lot of heads that consider Luca Blight (Suikoden 2's main bad guy), one of the best RPG villains of all-time.

The Luca Blight Boss Battle is one of the most memorable fights in all of RPGs. You had to construct three parties with 6 characters each to take this dude down...and you needed to have everyone leveled up with top-tier equipment. I've never hated a character more.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,524

Post#1536 » by DOT » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:For my One Piece brothers

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1537 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:33 pm

j4remi wrote:

Vanilla Ware is a really dope game developer. Dragon's Crown is the closest thing to modern Golden Axe we've ever gotten..moreso than the new gen Golden Axe games even :lol:

I contemplated copping Unicorn Overlord just to support, but I'm already on a backlog and next month is when Eiyuden Chronicles and Suikoden's remaster come out. Suikoden is my favorite RPG series of all time, and Eiyuden Chronicles brought back basically the entire original team. So I'm gonna be going in when those drop.

The big feature for Suikoden was that there was a cast of 108 recruitable characters, and most could join your party for battles. You get a castle early on, and as you increase your roster, the castle grows, and the newcomers add things like shops and inns. Plus, certain character sets would have combos, so it was fun to experiment. The stories were always good, and I know a lot of heads that consider Luca Blight (Suikoden 2's main bad guy), one of the best RPG villains of all-time.

The Luca Blight Boss Battle is one of the most memorable fights in all of RPGs. You had to construct three parties with 6 characters each to take this dude down...and you needed to have everyone leveled up with top-tier equipment. I've never hated a character more.

I know nothing about it but I have had this on my wishlist for awhile.

Also how is Persona 2. I download the roms for emulation awhile ago. But have no idea when I will play it or if ever. :lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1538 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:15 pm

j4remi wrote:

You know what, I've never played Suikoden. I am gonna give it a shot

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1539 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:

Shyt, that looks amazing. I actually first started playing Shin Megami Tensei, then flipped over to Persona (which I'm seriously glad I did). Heard they're remaking Persona 4, but I don't think I'll be touching that...too soon for me. I only finished it a year ago I think.

I actually have Shin Megami Tensei V but i got stuck on a part in the later stages of the game and i bailed. It was pretty fun though.

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1540 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:33 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:I know nothing about it but I have had this on my wishlist for awhile.

Also how is Persona 2. I download the roms for emulation awhile ago. But have no idea when I will play it or if ever. :lol:

I missed out on Persona 2. It came out right before PS2 dropped, and my Playstation kicked the bucket. So, I wound up never playing it. But I can tell you I LOVED the original, even though it was hard as hell and would get me stuck in dead ends with guides. I started over a lot, but it was so good that I kept at it. Persona 2's story is supposed to be really off-the-wall.

I only ever play emulators on flights, but now you mention it, I think I'm gonna add those old Persona games when I get a chance. I'll probably never beat 'em, but it's good to know I have a choice :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks