ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,508

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#21 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Oh yeah, I've heard the same. The world building and level of planning the author put into One Piece is without peer.

I think he just has a ridiculous amount of patience, to allow things to progress in the story more naturally so they don't feel rushed while at the same time it doesn't really drag, either

What the anime misses is the cover stories, where what the side characters that are left behind get to do stuff, so we see what's going on in the background.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,612

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:30 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm a big Rogue One guy. I still need to watch Andor.

I wasn't that interested in it at first, but it's really good

MrDollarBills wrote:Naruto is an amazing story, but the final act left a lot to be desired (and I have my theories on that, but I'll save them til you're finished).

I'll probably read One Piece one day in the future whenever it's finished. 1000+ chapters and ongoing is a daunting task :lol:

If you're ever interested, the publishers of Naruto/One Piece have an all encompassing app that is like $2 a month and you can read their entire library.

I'm on chapter like 550 of Naruto, so I'm not too far off. It's very good, but I think One Piece is just pretty consistently much better at both the macro story and the individual arcs. Like, it's been said to death at this point, but the worldbuilding in One Piece is really next level compared to Naruto.

After Wano, I put One Piece as the GOAT manga period. I used to have the old Shonen Jump magazines from when those manga first appeared in English. I wish I never lost those. I grew up on a big three of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (it's final arc is only just now being animated on Hulu).

If yall like those, the new breed of Shounen manga has a couple of gems worth a look. Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man...those joints are DARK, but really do feel like the next ones up (along with Demon Slayer which I don't rate as highly but is still good).

Chainsaw Man is hands down my favorite manga to come out in the last 5 years. The twists and turns are nuts. The anime is absolutely fire too.

These two clips don't even do the series justice. It's insane and they don't censor anything (except for Himeno vomiting in Denji's mouth :lol: )

I'm also a big Jujutsu Kaisen fan, it reminds me of a cross between Hunter X Hunter and Bleach. I love Demon Slayer as well, the story is simple and straight forward, but it has a lot of heart and empathy in it.

Speaking of Bleach, the Thousand Year Blood War anime has been amazing, it's literally a weekly movie quality event in terms of animation, direction and the music score.

Like you I grew up with Bleach, so to see it get this kind of treatment makes me really happy
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:32 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Oh yeah, I've heard the same. The world building and level of planning the author put into One Piece is without peer.

I think he just has a ridiculous amount of patience, to allow things to progress in the story more naturally so they don't feel rushed while at the same time it doesn't really drag, either

What the anime misses is the cover stories, where what the side characters that are left behind get to do stuff, so we see what's going on in the background.

damn. I might have to start reading now since I know some folks on here are fans.

And Oda's patience is insane...he's been drawing the series since '97!

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#24 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:39 pm

DOT wrote:
j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:I wasn't that interested in it at first, but it's really good

I'm on chapter like 550 of Naruto, so I'm not too far off. It's very good, but I think One Piece is just pretty consistently much better at both the macro story and the individual arcs. Like, it's been said to death at this point, but the worldbuilding in One Piece is really next level compared to Naruto.

After Wano, I put One Piece as the GOAT manga period. I used to have the old Shonen Jump magazines from when those manga first appeared in English. I wish I never lost those. I grew up on a big three of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (it's final arc is only just now being animated on Hulu).

If yall like those, the new breed of Shounen manga has a couple of gems worth a look. Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man...those joints are DARK, but really do feel like the next ones up (along with Demon Slayer which I don't rate as highly but is still good).

Bleach is next on my list of manga to read at work. Well, either that or Hunter x Hunter (which I have watched the anime of)

And the rest, I've seen Jujustsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer's anime (and the first episode of Chainsaw Man), but haven't read them. So I can't speak to the manga quality, but I definitely recommend the anime

Frankly, the fact that One Piece is still putting out consistently good stuff after over 20 years is insane. I still think Eneis Lobby is the peak, but Wano is right up there with it, and Egghead's off to a real strong start.

Hunter X Hunter is my #1 all time favorite. The way the story shifts from one genre to the next seamlessly is really something that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Hunter Exam: Typical anime adventure stuff that gets dark in a hurry

York New City: Organized crime epic

Greed Island: A Japanese RPG game come to life

The Chimera Ants: A Monster Invasion story that is so gruesome you wonder how it even was cleared for younger viewers/readers. They had to shift the air time in Japan to midnight once the anime hit this part of the story.

Chainman Election: A Political intrigue story

Right now the manga is currently being published again weekly (for now. the author's health is really bad so he can't draw it for long periods of time) and the clever story telling hasn't missed a beat.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,474

Post#25 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:45 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:My brother got me into the Clone Wars series and now watching the Bad Batch series. I always liked Star Wars but...this shyt Dave Filoni is doing really opens up the entire universe and gives a lot of detailed back story on everything. It makes the movies so much better. It also makes me mad that they didn't get to do the last three movies because...those were pretty lame in comparison. He turned me into a Star Wars nerd now!

I'm waiting for The Acolyte live action series.

Absolutely! And Ahsoka. And Andor season 2. I can't wait to watch them all from acolyte to the end. Still pissed that Filoni wasn't in on the last three movies.
:beer: RIP mags
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#26 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:49 pm

DOT wrote:Bleach is next on my list of manga to read at work. Well, either that or Hunter x Hunter (which I have watched the anime of)

And the rest, I've seen Jujustsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer's anime (and the first episode of Chainsaw Man), but haven't read them. So I can't speak to the manga quality, but I definitely recommend the anime

Frankly, the fact that One Piece is still putting out consistently good stuff after over 20 years is insane. I still think Eneis Lobby is the peak, but Wano is right up there with it, and Egghead's off to a real strong start.

Bleach has the best art of the big three, and I don't think its title-panels get enough credit for how immaculate the artwork is. The story gets a raw deal because it lost momentum in the final two arcs...but it's DEFINITELY worth a read and I think it's become underrated over time.

The cool part about JJK, Demon Slayer, and CSM are that their animes feel like they're elevating the source material. You still get more information from the manga versions, but the anime have taken incredible action sequences and turned them up a notch. That's basically the opposite of anime like Record of Ragnarok and Kengan Asura which Netflix put out...those have better manga action sequences which is too bad.

One Piece is unlike any other piece of literature I've read and I'm a freakin' geek for comics, anime, manga, novels, all of it. There's a real sense that the entire world keeps moving after you leave an island. The way characters reappear, title stories that expand the world, and the payoffs YEARS in the making are legendary. I play with theories all the time because Oda gives us so much to run with. Enies Lobby is one of a handful of arcs that I think can argue for the best in series (Marineford, Wano, Enies Lobby, and Alabasta). I feel like Enies Lobby and Arlong Park are the two that turn readers into lifetime fans most often.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Chainsaw Man is hands down my favorite manga to come out in the last 5 years. The twists and turns are nuts. The anime is absolutely fire too.

These two clips don't even do the series justice. It's insane and they don't censor anything (except for Himeno vomiting in Denji's mouth :lol: )

I'm also a big Jujutsu Kaisen fan, it reminds me of a cross between Hunter X Hunter and Bleach. I love Demon Slayer as well, the story is simple and straight forward, but it has a lot of heart and empathy in it.

Speaking of Bleach, the Thousand Year Blood War anime has been amazing, it's literally a weekly movie quality event in terms of animation, direction and the music score.

Like you I grew up with Bleach, so to see it get this kind of treatment makes me really happy

Fam, I've never had my heart ripped out and stomped on like I did on first reading Chainsaw Man. That ish stuck with me like a Denji kick to the nuts. You probably know which moments I'm thinking of because they're already iconic. I can't wait for the anime to capture some of the highs (and lows) of that series. It may be the first anime where I skip an episode to avoid the pain.

I think the Thousand Year Blood War is one of the best payoffs ever. Imagine the disappointment of having them rush Kubo to close the manga out and then spending YEARS without a proper closing. The first time they played that old theme in the first episode, I jumped outta my damned chair. Grown ass man, standing up and cheering for animation.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Hunter X Hunter is my #1 all time favorite. The way the story shifts from one genre to the next seamlessly is really something that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Hunter Exam: Typical anime adventure stuff that gets dark in a hurry

York New City: Organized crime epic

Greed Island: A Japanese RPG game come to life

The Chimera Ants: A Monster Invasion story that is so gruesome you wonder how it even was cleared for younger viewers/readers. They had to shift the air time in Japan to midnight once the anime hit this part of the story.

Chainman Election: A Political intrigue story

Right now the manga is currently being published again weekly (for now. the author's health is really bad so he can't draw it for long periods of time) and the clever story telling hasn't missed a beat.

The Chimera Ant Arc is a top-5 arc in any manga for me. And what's crazy about it is that it went on during Togashi's health crash. So the initial versions I read had a bunch of unfinished art and were scattered by long hiatuses. But it still hit when it was done and now they have the retouched artwork from the volume releases.

Togashi's one of my favorite mangaka. Yu Yu Hakusho was my first favorite anime, right with DBZ. The Dark Tournament arc is basically the reason, every Shounen has a tournament now. Hunter X Hunter feels like the most creative power system and I LOVE that so much goes into strategies and clever use of powers.

I don't love this recent arc, because it's damn near a light novel. HUGE blocks of text explanations. But the recent drops have been amazing. I loved finding out the origins of the Spider and I'm looking forward to the new chapters more than I have since the Chimera Arc concluded. They have 30 more chapters outlined, so I'm really hopeful that Togashi is far enough ahead to stay healthy. But it sounds scary that he can only draw from a reclined position. Poor guy's back is never gonna get right.

I'll come back in a bit and drop some anime/manga gems that are a bit more obscure for everyone. I read a LOT of manga and manwha, and I try to watch the top 4 or 5 anime of each season. I feel like I'm overloading the thread with my comments :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:And Oda's patience is insane...he's been drawing the series since '97!

Every Devil Fruit is titled blank blank No Mi. So the gomu gomu no mi, Yami yami no mi, etc

So a character was revealed a month ago to have the Nomi Nomi no mi. This motherf*cker had that one joke lined up for 25 god damn years.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:13 pm

j4remi wrote: I feel like Enies Lobby and Arlong Park are the two that turn readers into lifetime fans most often.

Arlong Park got me to give it a real shot

Alabasta is when I made up my mind to read it through

Eneis Lobby is what sealed the deal though

Can’t wait til we see Sogeking again though, I wonder what he’s been up to. Weird how Oda hasn’t shown him since Thriller Bark.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:28 pm

DOT wrote:
j4remi wrote: I feel like Enies Lobby and Arlong Park are the two that turn readers into lifetime fans most often.

Can’t wait til we see Sogeking again though, I wonder what he’s been up to. Weird how Oda hasn’t shown him since Thriller Bark.

He will be SogeKing of the Giants when they finally go to Elbaf.

"I want to live" was legit the "I'm never missing a weekly chapter" moment and I'm still here like a decade and a half later :lol: And that's just my second favorite moment...because "Nothing happened" happened.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by DOT » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:34 pm

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:

He will be SogeKing of the Giants when they finally go to Elbaf.

"I want to live" was legit the "I'm never missing a weekly chapter" moment and I'm still here like a decade and a half later :lol: And that's just my second favorite moment...because "Nothing happened" happened.

“I wanted to have more adventures with you guys” is what gets me every time though

Legit tear up

I think there are some things the anime does better, and the emotional moments I think hit harder. And some of the build ups do better with the extra screen time, but it definitely has much lower lows.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,160

Post#33 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:02 am

Crazy new stop motion animation movie

It's very dark, but often fascinating for the details of the hellscape the director invented
ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,790

Post#34 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

It's very dark, but often fascinating for the details of the hellscape the director invented

I liked it. Somewhat like a really grim (Grimm?) Jan Svankmajer
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#35 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:33 am

j4remi wrote:I've jacked up my comic collection recently placing last minute bids on comics i wanted off ebay...new collection includes:

Omega Men 3 - the first appearance of Lobo in DC comics

Prince Namor the Sub Mariner 1-4 - A full run of the 80's Namor comic series

Spawn 1 - first print of the original Spawn comic from McFarlane

Long Shot 1-4 - The first appearances of Longshot, MoJo, Spiral, and the MoJoVerse...some of my favorite slightly more obscure Marvel mutants

Batman Beyond Unlimited 13 - Not a major key, but it's the first time we see Harley Quinn in the future as an old cussing Grandma with her granddaughters

Mighty Avengers 62 - A 1969 comic that features the first appearance of M'baku who I'm spec'ing to take on more roles in the MCU

And a CGC graded 9.4 copy of the Last Ronin issue 1 - A TMNT series set in a future where Shredder has killed all the major characters besides one final Turtle from the crew (part of the fun in the first read is figuring out which turtle was left as remembers how the others passed away).

Man more power to you. I bailed on being a comic collector back in the 00s, my collection is in my parents attic. I need to go through it and see if i can sell anything, but part of me is hesitant to sell because it was primarily collected during my childhood.

The oldest comic that I have is an issue of Tales of Suspense from the 60s featuring the first appearance of MODOK. I don't think it's worth much tho

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:34 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

Whoa this is dope

As a whole I've heard a lot of good things about Shudder

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#37 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:36 am

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:And Oda's patience is insane...he's been drawing the series since '97!

Every Devil Fruit is titled blank blank No Mi. So the gomu gomu no mi, Yami yami no mi, etc

So a character was revealed a month ago to have the Nomi Nomi no mi. This motherf*cker had that one joke lined up for 25 god damn years.

Oda is a mad man :lol:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:38 am

I actually did try to get into One Piece during when the Impel Down Arc was being published but i got overwhelmed. My last memory was one of the big ass pirate dudes dying on their feet.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by DOT » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:46 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I actually did try to get into One Piece during when the Impel Down Arc was being published but i got overwhelmed. My last memory was one of the big ass pirate dudes dying on their feet.

Whitebeard rolling up to Marineford and just wrecking shop is one of the hypest moments

What’s crazy is dude is on his last legs before the fight starts and he still destroys dudes who have been untouchable to Luffy at that point

Dude was a beast.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:46 am

j4remi wrote:
DOT wrote:Bleach is next on my list of manga to read at work. Well, either that or Hunter x Hunter (which I have watched the anime of)

Bleach has the best art of the big three, and I don't think its title-panels get enough credit for how immaculate the artwork is. The story gets a raw deal because it lost momentum in the final two arcs...but it's DEFINITELY worth a read and I think it's become underrated over time.

The cool part about JJK, Demon Slayer, and CSM are that their animes feel like they're elevating the source material. You still get more information from the manga versions, but the anime have taken incredible action sequences and turned them up a notch. That's basically the opposite of anime like Record of Ragnarok and Kengan Asura which Netflix put out...those have better manga action sequences which is too bad.

One Piece is unlike any other piece of literature I've read and I'm a freakin' geek for comics, anime, manga, novels, all of it. There's a real sense that the entire world keeps moving after you leave an island. The way characters reappear, title stories that expand the world, and the payoffs YEARS in the making are legendary. I play with theories all the time because Oda gives us so much to run with. Enies Lobby is one of a handful of arcs that I think can argue for the best in series (Marineford, Wano, Enies Lobby, and Alabasta). I feel like Enies Lobby and Arlong Park are the two that turn readers into lifetime fans most often.

Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man and Demon Slayer have all been blessed by the way animation studios in Japan are pushing new bounds, before in the era of the Old Big 3, anime was just a nice compliment to manga but we're seeing the anime actually outdo and improve what was depicted on page. Demon Slayer would not be a global phenomenon without the work that animation studio put in.

The studio that did Jujutsu Kaisen took some mundane pages from the manga and turned them into mind-blowing sequences. The season finale blew the source material out of the water lol

Return to New York Knicks