ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,789

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#41 » by RHODEY » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:46 am

DOT wrote:I've been a Doctor Who fan since the Matt Smith era, though I've fallen off of it after Capaldi. Finally started to watch the classic series, and it's definitely an experience. Kind of frustrating that so much of the first 2 doctors was destroyed, I'm on Troughton's last season

Also been reading Naruto at work, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. But One Piece is much better.

This is the Dr Who I know...Tom Baker. I remember it was never on, but when I caught it was always by accvident on some random channel and it was always a mind bending experience...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,612

Post#42 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:48 am

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I actually did try to get into One Piece during when the Impel Down Arc was being published but i got overwhelmed. My last memory was one of the big ass pirate dudes dying on their feet.

Whitebeard rolling up to Marineford and just wrecking shop is one of the hypest moments

What’s crazy is dude is on his last legs before the fight starts and he still destroys dudes who have been untouchable to Luffy at that point

Dude was a beast.

Yes that was it! That was awesome. I definitely might start this weekend
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#43 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:53 am

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:
After Wano, I put One Piece as the GOAT manga period. I used to have the old Shonen Jump magazines from when those manga first appeared in English. I wish I never lost those. I grew up on a big three of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach (it's final arc is only just now being animated on Hulu).

If yall like those, the new breed of Shounen manga has a couple of gems worth a look. Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man...those joints are DARK, but really do feel like the next ones up (along with Demon Slayer which I don't rate as highly but is still good).

Chainsaw Man is hands down my favorite manga to come out in the last 5 years. The twists and turns are nuts. The anime is absolutely fire too.

These two clips don't even do the series justice. It's insane and they don't censor anything (except for Himeno vomiting in Denji's mouth :lol: )

I'm also a big Jujutsu Kaisen fan, it reminds me of a cross between Hunter X Hunter and Bleach. I love Demon Slayer as well, the story is simple and straight forward, but it has a lot of heart and empathy in it.

Speaking of Bleach, the Thousand Year Blood War anime has been amazing, it's literally a weekly movie quality event in terms of animation, direction and the music score.

Like you I grew up with Bleach, so to see it get this kind of treatment makes me really happy

Fam, I've never had my heart ripped out and stomped on like I did on first reading Chainsaw Man. That ish stuck with me like a Denji kick to the nuts. You probably know which moments I'm thinking of because they're already iconic. I can't wait for the anime to capture some of the highs (and lows) of that series. It may be the first anime where I skip an episode to avoid the pain.

I think the Thousand Year Blood War is one of the best payoffs ever. Imagine the disappointment of having them rush Kubo to close the manga out and then spending YEARS without a proper closing. The first time they played that old theme in the first episode, I jumped outta my damned chair. Grown ass man, standing up and cheering for animation.

Dude yes, Chainsaw Man is brutal emotionally. BRUTAL. Some of those chapters left me hurt. By the time you get to the end of Part 1, you're drained. I cannot wait for what's coming.

Not gonna lie i got choked up watching Bleach TYBW Episode 1. Kubo is one of my favorite authors so to see his work finally get the respect and love it didn't when Bleach got rushed to cancelation hit me hard. And hearing Ichigo and all of the cast come back to life :cry:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:58 am

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Hunter X Hunter is my #1 all time favorite. The way the story shifts from one genre to the next seamlessly is really something that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Hunter Exam: Typical anime adventure stuff that gets dark in a hurry

York New City: Organized crime epic

Greed Island: A Japanese RPG game come to life

The Chimera Ants: A Monster Invasion story that is so gruesome you wonder how it even was cleared for younger viewers/readers. They had to shift the air time in Japan to midnight once the anime hit this part of the story.

Chainman Election: A Political intrigue story

Right now the manga is currently being published again weekly (for now. the author's health is really bad so he can't draw it for long periods of time) and the clever story telling hasn't missed a beat.

The Chimera Ant Arc is a top-5 arc in any manga for me. And what's crazy about it is that it went on during Togashi's health crash. So the initial versions I read had a bunch of unfinished art and were scattered by long hiatuses. But it still hit when it was done and now they have the retouched artwork from the volume releases.

Togashi's one of my favorite mangaka. Yu Yu Hakusho was my first favorite anime, right with DBZ. The Dark Tournament arc is basically the reason, every Shounen has a tournament now. Hunter X Hunter feels like the most creative power system and I LOVE that so much goes into strategies and clever use of powers.

I don't love this recent arc, because it's damn near a light novel. HUGE blocks of text explanations. But the recent drops have been amazing. I loved finding out the origins of the Spider and I'm looking forward to the new chapters more than I have since the Chimera Arc concluded. They have 30 more chapters outlined, so I'm really hopeful that Togashi is far enough ahead to stay healthy. But it sounds scary that he can only draw from a reclined position. Poor guy's back is never gonna get right.

I'll come back in a bit and drop some anime/manga gems that are a bit more obscure for everyone. I read a LOT of manga and manwha, and I try to watch the top 4 or 5 anime of each season. I feel like I'm overloading the thread with my comments :lol:

Togashi is a legend fam. When he tweeted out a few weeks back that it was painful for him just to sit down i felt awful for him. He's doing this out of love, because he definitely doesn't need the money since he and his wife (creator of Sailor Moon) are rich af.

Personally if Hunter X Hunter never finishes, I'm okay with it. He gave us so much that I couldn't ask for any more.

My favorite YuYu Hakusho story is The Chapter Black Saga. That to me was where you could see Togashi start to shift towards some really dark material that we would later see in Hunter X Hunter

Same i don't wanna flood this thread. I can talk about manga for hours :lol:

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#45 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Man more power to you. I bailed on being a comic collector back in the 00s, my collection is in my parents attic. I need to go through it and see if i can sell anything, but part of me is hesitant to sell because it was primarily collected during my childhood.

The oldest comic that I have is an issue of Tales of Suspense from the 60s featuring the first appearance of MODOK. I don't think it's worth much tho

The collector market exploded the past couple of years. I dabbled but most of the stuff i wanted was priced out. It's coming back to Earth and I'm starting to stack up my favorite stuff while I can. I'm similar to you in the mentality that, I'm not buying to flip 'em. I want my crates around for years to come and maybe I'll sell some stuff if they really go through the roof in value.

That MODOK FA is actually decent value. If the ones in bad shape frequently go for triple-digit values. I remember the first time value-checking some of my old stuff, I was pretty surprised at how valuable of a lot of stuff had become. My old Ghost Rider and Venom comics wound up being pretty sought after.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:10 am

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Man more power to you. I bailed on being a comic collector back in the 00s, my collection is in my parents attic. I need to go through it and see if i can sell anything, but part of me is hesitant to sell because it was primarily collected during my childhood.

The oldest comic that I have is an issue of Tales of Suspense from the 60s featuring the first appearance of MODOK. I don't think it's worth much tho

The collector market exploded the past couple of years. I dabbled but most of the stuff i wanted was priced out. It's coming back to Earth and I'm starting to stack up my favorite stuff while I can. I'm similar to you in the mentality that, I'm not buying to flip 'em. I want my crates around for years to come and maybe I'll sell some stuff if they really go through the roof in value.

That MODOK FA is actually decent value. If the ones in bad shape frequently go for triple-digit values. I remember the first time value-checking some of my old stuff, I was pretty surprised at how valuable of a lot of stuff had become. My old Ghost Rider and Venom comics wound up being pretty sought after.

Wait for real? Where do you go to check the values? I have a ton of late 80s/90s/00s books. Like crates filled with them mostly in good condition. I'd be willing to sell certain books

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#47 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:16 am

For anyone interested Shonen Jump is broadcasting their JumpFesta show globally with subtitles on YouTube

This is where they debut trailers and what not for upcoming projects. Jujutsu Kaisen's exhibit starts at 10pm EST i believe, so something for Season 2 (The Shibuya Incident, if ykyk) should be shown.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,507

Post#48 » by DOT » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:18 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Yes that was it! That was awesome. I definitely might start this weekend

There are 2 things I'd say you have to know going in:

1: Everything isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's a very silly world full of very silly people who are occasionally very serious. But the jokes always come first, it's a comedy before anything else

2: It is aggressively PG-13 horny, especially post timeskip when it comes to female character design. Everything is an excuse to put Nami and co. in revealing outfits

If you're reading the manga, definitely pay attention to the cover stories, as they provide a lot of context for what characters do after the Straw Hats leave. If you're watching the anime, there's not a ton of filler episodes, but everything is really padded to extend the run time. They've extended single pages to 5 or 10 minute scenes before

Other than that, good luck.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#49 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:35 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Wait for real? Where do you go to check the values? I have a ton of late 80s/90s/00s books. Like crates filled with them mostly in good condition. I'd be willing to sell certain books

Key Collector Comics is an app charges but gives a free trial that you could use for a one-time price check.

Generally since I'm a hobby guy rather than a heavy duty collector. I use Pricecharting.com and gocollect.com to get sells history and how many graded versions exist. Then I search the comic on Ebay to get an idea of what people are charging. You can go a lot more in-depth but this is simple and will get you a decent ballpark for fair market values. You'd be surprised fam. Any character that's been in a movie or show has had their key issues jump like crazy.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#50 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:22 am

Thoughts on DC looking for a new Superman after Henry already was in the Black Adam post credits?

Also, are you guys sick of them going back to origin stories for live action movies ? They’re doing it again for Superman. And they just cancelled Batman Beyond where Michael Keaton would’ve been back. I’ve been waiting on a live action Batman beyond for 10+ years.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,206

Post#51 » by Jeffrey » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:27 am

I'm hoping you guys would take a chance on Haikyuu

Volleyball sports anime. If you're a sports fan, you will love this.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,507

Post#52 » by DOT » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:34 am

Jeffrey wrote:I'm hoping you guys would take a chance on Haikyuu

I second this

Haikyuu is incredible.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#53 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:00 am

Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 starts in July

They're doing both The Hidden Inventory/Premature Death and The Shibuya Incident

If you know, you know. They're showing the character designs for Young Gojo and Toji right now. This is dope

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#54 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:04 am

Jeffrey wrote:I'm hoping you guys would take a chance on Haikyuu

I've been watching Blue Lock. Crazy ass soccer anime. I definitely need to check out Haikyuu

My three fave sports anime are Slam Dunk, Hajime No Ippo and Kuroko's Basketball

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,789

Post#55 » by RHODEY » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:53 am

j4remi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Key Collector Comics is an app charges but gives a free trial that you could use for a one-time price check.

Generally since I'm a hobby guy rather than a heavy duty collector. I use Pricecharting.com and gocollect.com to get sells history and how many graded versions exist. Then I search the comic on Ebay to get an idea of what people are charging. You can go a lot more in-depth but this is simple and will get you a decent ballpark for fair market values. You'd be surprised fam. Any character that's been in a movie or show has had their key issues jump like crazy.

Have you ever had any of your books professionally graded
...eg shipping them off for official rating?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:20 am

RHODEY wrote:Have you ever had any of your books professionally graded
...eg shipping them off for official rating?

I've only ever submitted at a convention and with a comic I purchased on the spot (a really rare cover from an artist I really like). The fees add up quickly, so I've aimed to get comics that are already through the grading process in auctions. The next time I go to a comic con, I'll probably bring a few comics to submit. There's usually a CGC booth where you can go through the process right on the spot. Edit: The submission process. Grading takes a few months in the best circumstances.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:00 pm

Alright yall...a few slept on anime that are pretty fire and worth checking out...

1. Vinland Saga - this one had hype when it came out, but had a long break before season 2 which comes out next month. It's anime vikings fam, and the plot is genuinely great. The manga is a fantastic read as well from what I hear, but I never read it.

2. Mushoku Tensei - The isekai genre is all the rage. That's when someone dies saving a life and winds up transported to a new world. It's super formulaic and a lot of people are tired of it. But Mushoku Tensei was literally the first isekai, which set the tropes that everyone followed only executed them with more purpose than just painting by the numbers. Character development is really earned which is great because the MC starts off as a PoS, but grows as a person the whole way through. The other bit on this is the animation is absolutely fantastic and the world-building feels big and engrossing.

3. A Ranking of Kings - This joint only gets slept on because the art feels kiddish. But it's actually got serious political intrigue, plotting, betrayals, murder schemes, and one of the top-5 action sequences of the year IMO. It honestly stands up against all the best anime to drop this year. Give the art a pass, watch the first two or three episodes and see how you feel after. It's much deeper than people assume.

4. I'ma drop two bonuses from the "anime is kinda crazy" deep cuts. Akiba Maid War - The first is an action-anime that's inspired by old-school yakuza gang war films. But instead of gang battles, it's maid cafes with different animal themes that have beef. it's genuinely the craziest thing I've seen in a while.

5. Paripi Koumei aka Ya Boy Kongming - In case yall don't just want action anime. In this one, the legendary strategist Zhuge Liang, dies and is transported to modern day Japan. He meets a singer and decides to use his tactical brilliance to make her the most famous musician alive. So it takes old Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategems and applies them to concerts and promotion. Midway through, they recruit a battle rapper and have a few episodes focused on battle rap which I stan for...
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,159

Post#58 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 pm

I thought this was pretty badass. My favorite from the Predator series
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,197

Post#59 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:06 pm

Snacks wrote:

What about Bruce Lee vs Robert Randolph?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#60 » by j4remi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 starts in July

They're doing both The Hidden Inventory/Premature Death and The Shibuya Incident

If you know, you know. They're showing the character designs for Young Gojo and Toji right now. This is dope

Shibuya is gonna have Crunchy Roll crashing weekly. People are gonna collectively lose it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks