ImageImageImageImageImage

OT The Nerdy stuff Thread

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,609

Re: OT The Nerdy stuff Thread 

Post#81 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:05 pm

Here's another banger that comes out next year, Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku

Captured during an assassination mission, Gabimaru the Hollow is sentenced to be executed, but nothing seems to kill him due to his superhuman body. Believing his love for his wife to be subconsciously keeping him alive, executioner Yamada Asaemon Sagiri offers him the chance to be pardoned of all crimes by the Shogunate if he finds the elixir of life on Shinsenkyo, a legendary realm recently discovered southwest of the Ryukyu Kingdom. After losing five expedition teams sent to the island, this time the Shogunate sends a group of death row convicts. The convicts are each given a Yamada Asaemon executioner, who they must return with in order to obtain the pardon.

It's being animated by Studio MAPPA, so you know this is going to be insane.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#82 » by Meat » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:11 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Stannis wrote:Reinstalling WarCraft 3 as we speak. Played this game on & off since 2006 lol....

Nevers got into Warcraft
...my favorite classic RPG video game was Baldurs Gate 2.

have you played the early access BG 3? or did you play the divinity series?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,504

Post#83 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Guano wrote:LoL, I forgot it was 3. I just remembered being extremely let down at fighting some floating light sabers. I read that the ending was rushed due to production issues. Either way the game is still one of the best games I've ever played. I was also a big fan of the first. The the freedom of choice and seeing how it would change the world was mind blowing at the time. And it was such a deep rich story. Loved it.

And that Dracula show on Netflix was dope as hell. Though it felt like they rushed the ending.

I think I've rewritten my memories of it cause I bought it on steam ages ago and use the SLRC mod which adds back a bunch of stuff that they had to cut from the base game because of the time constraints. Though to be fair, a lot of that stuff needed a lot more work, like you play the robot world once and the HK factory once, and that's really all you need, it's pretty barebones

The gameplay and graphics were dated even back in 2004, but I just love the characters to death. Exception being the Disciple, never really got much out of him

I'm not as big a fan of the first one, I think it lacks a lot of the nuance of the second, but I'm still stoked to see it's getting a remaster. Needs updating on more than just the graphics, but there's a ton of potential there. Shame the movies can't figure it out though.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#84 » by RHODEY » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Meat wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Stannis wrote:Reinstalling WarCraft 3 as we speak. Played this game on & off since 2006 lol....

Nevers got into Warcraft
...my favorite classic RPG video game was Baldurs Gate 2.

have you played the early access BG 3? or did you play the divinity series?

I saw the previews on BG3 and it just doesn't look like the classic D&D experience you got from BGII. BGII and Diablo 2 are my 2 favorite games from that era . I kinda stopped playing games after that.
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 17,077

Post#85 » by evevale » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:25 pm

one punch man -

highschool of the dead

kabaneri

won't go into shows or games cause no one ever knows wtf i'm talking about
Guano
RealGM
And1: 41,904

Post#86 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:29 pm

DOT wrote:
Guano wrote:LoL, I forgot it was 3. I just remembered being extremely let down at fighting some floating light sabers. I read that the ending was rushed due to production issues. Either way the game is still one of the best games I've ever played. I was also a big fan of the first. The the freedom of choice and seeing how it would change the world was mind blowing at the time. And it was such a deep rich story. Loved it.

And that Dracula show on Netflix was dope as hell. Though it felt like they rushed the ending.

I think I've rewritten my memories of it cause I bought it on steam ages ago and use the SLRC mod which adds back a bunch of stuff that they had to cut from the base game because of the time constraints. Though to be fair, a lot of that stuff needed a lot more work, like you play the robot world once and the HK factory once, and that's really all you need, it's pretty barebones

The gameplay and graphics were dated even back in 2004, but I just love the characters to death. Exception being the Disciple, never really got much out of him

I'm not as big a fan of the first one, I think it lacks a lot of the nuance of the second, but I'm still stoked to see it's getting a remaster. Needs updating on more than just the graphics, but there's a ton of potential there. Shame the movies can't figure it out though.

I honestly don't remember much about the games except the girl I was seeing at the time was pissed because I played both games back to back in a 5 day stretch. also I poisoned a water planet and in the Romeo and Juliet mission had the families kill each other. I was wicked af in that game and loved it. Oh and the lightsaber battle. Great times.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Guano
RealGM

Post#87 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:36 pm

The problem with anime is that it's overwhelming jumping into a show. How tf am I suppose to watch a show that has 500+ episodes with side movies. I dont want to have to research what order and what to skip and all that. Another problem how am I suppose to choose from the 100 different recommendations. It's overwhelming af so I end up mindlessly scrolling Twitter or picking up a cheesy fantasy novel instead.
Guano
RealGM

Post#88 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 pm

evevale wrote:one punch man -

highschool of the dead

kabaneri

kabaneri looks fun
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#89 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:58 pm

Guano wrote:The problem with anime is that it's overwhelming jumping into a show. How tf am I suppose to watch a show that has 500+ episodes with side movies. I dont want to have to research what order and what to skip and all that. Another problem how am I suppose to choose from the 100 different recommendations. It's overwhelming af so I end up mindlessly scrolling Twitter or picking up a cheesy fantasy novel instead.

That's a fair complaint. But, I've got good news for you:

The days of 500+ episode epics are pretty much over, as manga authors of today aren't committing to doing really long series anymore like their predecessors due to the unhealthy workload that they have to take on to produce a weekly 19 page serial, so anime studios are opting for the American Seasonal model instead where you get 12-24 episodes. One Piece is the last of the old guard remaining.

What kind of genres do you like? I'll recommend some series that don't have massive episode counts.

JuJutsu Kaisen is 24 episodes + the 90 minute prequel movie so far. If you want to dip your toes in some modern anime that won't suck all of your time, that's a good starter

Beautiful animation and a good dark fantasy story with plenty of action and humor.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#90 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:59 pm

Guano wrote:

highschool of the dead

kabaneri

kabaneri looks fun

Kabaneri is dope and its one season if i recall. a very easy watch.

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#91 » by Meat » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 pm

Guano wrote:The problem with anime is that it's overwhelming jumping into a show. How tf am I suppose to watch a show that has 500+ episodes with side movies. I dont want to have to research what order and what to skip and all that. Another problem how am I suppose to choose from the 100 different recommendations. It's overwhelming af so I end up mindlessly scrolling Twitter or picking up a cheesy fantasy novel instead.

those are really only for shonens tho, most anime are 1-3 seasons tops
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm

highschool of the dead

kabaneri

One Punch Man season 3 comes out next year.

High School of the Dead was awesome, unfortunately the show was never able to continue because the author died.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Guano wrote:

highschool of the dead

kabaneri

kabaneri looks fun

Kabaneri is dope and its one season if i recall. a very easy watch.

It's like Attack on Titan but with zombies and trains

Not very deep, or at least I don't recall it being much more than that.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,738

Post#94 » by Gravy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Its like when I was a kid and would walk into a comic book store and they would be up to Xmen #256 and I'd be like "I gotta read 255 issues to catch up to this nah I'll just watch the cartoon thats on season 2".
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,818

Post#95 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Alright, let's go full into sci-fi. I just finished Mass Effect Legendary for the first time and that game was amazing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#96 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Lots of good games coming out in 2023, but I'm really pumped for Armored Core 6

I've never played any of the previous games, but i'm a sucker for Mechs.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#97 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Gravy wrote:

Its like when I was a kid and would walk into a comic book store and they would be up to Xmen #256 and I'd be like "I gotta read 255 issues to catch up to this nah I'll just watch the cartoon thats on season 2".

yeah that's a problem exclusive to western comic books from Marvel and DC, they're not very accessible to new readers because the series never end. With manga and anime all stories are finite.

This is why manga like My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan are destroying Marvel and DC in book sales here in the USA.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:11 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Alright, let's go full into sci-fi. I just finished Mass Effect Legendary for the first time and that game was amazing.

Ending is still a bit of a letdown

But everything leading up to it is great

I had only played ME1 before the Legendary edition came out last year, so I got it on a whim, and now it's one of my favorite series.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Guano
RealGM

Post#99 » by Guano » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

That's a fair complaint. But, I've got good news for you:

The days of 500+ episode epics are pretty much over, as manga authors of today aren't committing to doing really long series anymore like their predecessors due to the unhealthy workload that they have to take on to produce a weekly 19 page serial, so anime studios are opting for the American Seasonal model instead where you get 12-24 episodes. One Piece is the last of the old guard remaining.

What kind of genres do you like? I'll recommend some series that don't have massive episode counts.

JuJutsu Kaisen is 24 episodes + the 90 minute prequel movie so far. If you want to dip your toes in some modern anime that won't suck all of your time, that's a good starter

Beautiful animation and a good dark fantasy story with plenty of action and humor.

I've crushed JuJutsu Kaisen - whatever was available on hbo.

as far as what i like -
mushushi(sp?) I really enjoyed even though it was episodic and that sht usually annoys tf outta me.
gurren lagun(sp?) throwing galaxies at each other might have been the most badass fight scene i've ever watched
code geass - main character was badass
Clannad - sht was heartbreaking - loved it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion - dad issues and existential crisis - whats not to love
Cowboy Bebop - music was so good.

that's some off the top of my head

oh fullmetal alchemist were fun, too

I want to watch Bleach but it seems a little overwhelming to get into. I usually just watch whatever is on netflix or hbo.

my daughter would be pissed that I didnt mention Studio Ghibli - we've crushed all of those movies. Spirited Away and princess mononoke being our personal favs
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by DOT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Gravy wrote:

yeah that's a problem exclusive to western comic books from Marvel and DC, they're not very accessible to new readers because the series never end. With manga and anime all stories are finite.

This is why manga like My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer, and Attack on Titan are destroying Marvel and DC in book sales here in the USA.

They also have a definitive starting point

Like, I don't read comics, and I don't know where to start. It is a strength of the medium that you can have so many different interpretations of the same characters, but it's also a bit hard to get into

Even with One Piece, there's a clear starting point even though it's ridiculously long.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Return to New York Knicks