ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Official Mets' 2024 Thread (p. 19)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,115

Re: OT: Official Mets' 2023 Thread 

Post#61 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:33 pm

2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So Mauricio, Alvarez, and so Baty will all be back in AAA. I don’t have a problem with that. I guess we’ll see how Escobar begins the year at 3B. If he gets off to another horrible start, then we could see Baty or Mauricio, whoever’s swinging the bat better, brought up.

As for Alvarez, he better be more than a .220 hitter if he’s the best no. 1 prospect in all of baseball. I guess he could be brought up to be the RH DH if the others don’t work by the end of May.

What’s up with Megill? He’s been walking a ton of hitters lately.

Don’t forget about Vientos too.

Did he go down as well? He had a better spring than Alvarez, so I guess he’ll share DH duties with Ruf … or maybe he’ll get sent back down … or maybe go in a trade for a relief pitcher?
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,270

Post#62 » by 2010 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:23 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So Mauricio, Alvarez, and so Baty will all be back in AAA. I don’t have a problem with that. I guess we’ll see how Escobar begins the year at 3B. If he gets off to another horrible start, then we could see Baty or Mauricio, whoever’s swinging the bat better, brought up.

As for Alvarez, he better be more than a .220 hitter if he’s the best no. 1 prospect in all of baseball. I guess he could be brought up to be the RH DH if the others don’t work by the end of May.

What’s up with Megill? He’s been walking a ton of hitters lately.

Did he go down as well? He had a better spring than Alvarez, so I guess he’ll share DH duties with Ruf … or maybe he’ll get sent back down … or maybe go in a trade for a relief pitcher?

He got sent down to AAA the same day they sent down Baty. So all 4 of our top position players will start off at Norfolk.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,371

Post#63 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:18 am

2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:

He got sent down to AAA the same day they sent down Baty. So all 4 of our top position players will start off at Norfolk.

Yup. The article was just speculation.

If Ruf struggles, I don't expect he'll have a long leash and Vientos could be the first call up.

I believe in Escobar a little bit. He hit really well last September, and they want to give Baty reps in the field, so I think he has a little longer.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am

Tim Locastro isn't on the 40, but he's a serviceable CF who had a good spring. He could see some time this year, especially with their lack of depth at CF.

Danny Mendick hit pretty well last year before an injury cut his season short. He is on the 40 and he still has an option year, maybe two. Some people were surprised the Whitesox waived him.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/white-sox/danny-mendick-mets-contract-details-former-chicago-white-sox-stats

Neither guy is a "prospect", but both are depth. Depth is important.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#65 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:59 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Tim Locastro isn't on the 40, but he's a serviceable CF who had a good spring. He could see some time this year, especially with their lack of depth at CF.

Danny Mendick hit pretty well last year before an injury cut his season short. He is on the 40 and he still has an option year, maybe two. Some people were surprised the Whitesox waived him.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/white-sox/danny-mendick-mets-contract-details-former-chicago-white-sox-stats

I thought Tommy Pham is the backup CF.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:58 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:Tim Locastro isn't on the 40, but he's a serviceable CF who had a good spring. He could see some time this year, especially with their lack of depth at CF.

I thought Tommy Pham is the backup CF.

He is. Still, if Nimmo spends time on the DL and given that Pham isn't a great fielder, which he isn't, I think we'll see Locastro, who, granted, hit below 200 the last 2 seasons but he was OK in 2020 and OK in spring training. Probably if everyone stays healthy, Locastro never sees the active roster. Canha could maybe play some center in a pinch too, but poorly.

- - -

In other news:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-option-brigham-to-syracuse-send-mcfarland-and-yacabonis-to-minor-league-camp/ar-AA195Kmy?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a2051ef939154e56844f7961989f2069&ei=13

I'm not really on top of all their moves and off the roster signings, but depth is a good. We'll probably see some of those guys this year.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 pm

And it appears that Locastro will make the opening day roster, for his speed and ability to play some CF and Darin Ruf has been waived.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-pull-plug-on-bench-slugger-ahead-of-opening-day/ar-AA19837Z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f075241e07374e3a9a2315ddd24e4a75&ei=8
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,202

Post#68 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:53 pm

If pitcher throws to 1st.. two times... what stops the runner from having a lead half way to 2nd? Just trying to see how this new rule works.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 15,938

Post#69 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:And it appears that Locastro will make the opening day roster, for his speed and ability to play some CF and Darin Ruf has been waived.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-pull-plug-on-bench-slugger-ahead-of-opening-day/ar-AA19837Z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f075241e07374e3a9a2315ddd24e4a75&ei=8

Wow locastro is terrible offensively... Free out
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:50 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:And it appears that Locastro will make the opening day roster, for his speed and ability to play some CF and Darin Ruf has been waived.

2019 he got hit by 22 pitches in 250 plate appearances. That's something, but yes, he's not a hitter. He was OK in 2019 and 2020, but basically he's a pinch runner/defensive replacement. I'm not even sure how good a defender he is, but I'm sure he's better than Pham.

With the release of Ruf, Pham becomes our righty DH. The first position player call up could be Vientos or Baty or Alvarez or even Mendick depending mostly on need and where the opening is.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#71 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:16 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:

2019 he got hit by 22 pitches in 250 plate appearances. That's something, but yes, he's not a hitter. He was OK in 2019 and 2020, but basically he's a pinch runner/defensive replacement. I'm not even sure how good a defender he is, but I'm sure he's better than Pham.

With the release of Ruf, Pham becomes our righty DH. The first position player call up could be Vientos or Baty or Alvarez or even Mendick depending mostly on need and where the opening is.

The Mets gave Ruf his walking papers?

If so, good. So who’s the RHH DH now?
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:01 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Wow locastro is terrible offensively... Free out

When everyone is healthy, Pham.

OF: Nimmo, Canha, Marte
DH: Vogelbach/Pham

When Pham plays OF cause someone needs a day off, then.I'm not sure.

OF bench is Locastro & Pham
Infield bench is Guillorme and . . . I don't know.

Usually it's 2 OF and 2 infield bench players unless they go with an extra pitcher.

This article suggests they'll go with an extra pitcher.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-2023-opening-day-roster
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#73 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:37 pm

Opening day, lets go people!
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#74 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:59 pm

Mets win! Mets win! Mets win!

Dave Robertson closed out the 9th. 0 runs, 0 hits.
Free Palestine
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,806

Post#75 » by Im Coming Home » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:00 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets win! Mets win! Mets win!

Robertson looked great, hopefully a sign of things to come.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#76 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:10 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets win! Mets win! Mets win!

Robertson looked great, hopefully a sign of things to come.

It’s amazing, his curveball still has that sharp 12-6 bite on it after all these years.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,202

Post#77 » by Jeffrey » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:

When everyone is healthy, Pham.

OF: Nimmo, Canha, Marte
DH: Vogelbach/Pham

When Pham plays OF cause someone needs a day off, then.I'm not sure.

OF bench is Locastro & Pham
Infield bench is Guillorme and . . . I don't know.

Usually it's 2 OF and 2 infield bench players unless they go with an extra pitcher.

This article suggests they'll go with an extra pitcher.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-2023-opening-day-roster

If Pham struggles.. I could see Vientos come up as a RHH or Escobar moving there and Baty comes up.

I hope I don't see Alvarez until mid-season at best because of his catching abilities.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Apr 1, 2023 2:17 am

Jeffrey wrote:
If Pham struggles.. I could see Vientos come up as a RHH or Escobar moving there and Baty comes up.

I hope I don't see Alvarez until mid-season at best because of his catching abilities.

Pham will be interesting to watch. They need OFers, though maybe Escobar could move to 2nd, Baty to 3rd and McNeil to the OF, so that's an option, but I think they want to hold onto Pham, unless he absolutely stinks.

Vientos might be able to out-hit him, so . . . it's something to watch, but I don't think we'll see it soon. Vientos' path to the majors probably requires someone going on the injured list. He's not a versatile enough defender, limited to DH and 1B. Pham can play OF which is more useful on this roster.

As for Alvarez, articles said his glove looked better this spring, but I think the Mets agree with you. Getting regular reps and working on his defense is the plan.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,508

Post#79 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 2, 2023 11:23 pm

the movement on senga’s splitter/forkball is pretty wild
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Apr 3, 2023 1:01 am

Escobar watch. He's 1 for 12. I'm rooting for him to snap out of it, but Baty could be the first callup if Escobar continues to struggle.

Nido might be one to watch too. Solid glove, but his bat is a question mark. I think Nido has a longer leash, however, as the backup.

Return to New York Knicks