ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,655

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#161 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:45 pm

Capn'O wrote:They do still move on from their younger players but their execution has been excellent recently so it's not the indictment it once was. Plus, the guys they target tend to be on the younger side now. Randle/Brunson/OG were all 25/26 now, entering their prime. iHart was pretty young.

Chanel Bomber wrote:I think they likely would've kept those young players if they had panned out and become stars.

Also this. And guys like Mitch and Deuce... if they can play their roles we're not in a huge hurry to move them unless/until the right move comes along. This management group is starting to win my benefit of the doubt.

I think we make our picks this year. We need cheap talent and a good chance to start the process of building players up again even if we do ultimately move them.

Yeah I think it makes a lot of sense to draft players now for the next 4-year cycle. One at least.

Of course they may be included as prospects in the ever-elusive superstar trade. But to have potentially productive young players on rookie-scale contracts as Brunson's new max deal kicks in would be massive for our cap management, as we look to avoid the second apron. Grimes for instance didn't really fit that timeline.

And yes to your last point, the FO have exceeded my expectations. Got off to a bad start with the Obi pick, and later the 2021 offseason, but even some of the moves I thought were mistakes such as extending Randle have positively panned out. Keeping IQ trade-eligible by not extending him early may also turn out to be a wise decision, if OG can be healthy enough to contribute in some deep playoff runs.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,280

Post#162 » by mpharris36 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:45 pm

Fat Kat wrote:I think we’ll keep one pick and try to trade the other for a future pick.

As per my usual, I’d like a long 3&D wing or SF/PF. Sort of an OG understudy/injury replacement. Who’ll be in our range?

Ryan Dunn?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,163

Post#163 » by Fat Kat » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:30 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:I think we’ll keep one pick and try to trade the other for a future pick.

As per my usual, I’d like a long 3&D wing or SF/PF. Sort of an OG understudy/injury replacement. Who’ll be in our range?

Ryan Dunn?

Wow. I like him

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,755

Post#164 » by cgmw » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:07 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
cgmw wrote:We effectively traded Grimes and Obi for Bojan and Burks. RJ and IQ for OG and Precious.

The entire purpose of a drafted FRP to the Knicks is to maximize and continue to gauge trade value while getting use out of him as veteran support staff until the right deal comes along.

Personally I feel vindicated since I’ve been out here by myself for years telling anyone who’d listen in these ridiculous draft threads that they never wanted either draft picks or the guys they drafted.

And I’m telling you now, they don’t want any of their future picks either. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll happily draft a player to fit a rotation role but they’ll do everything they can to trade down, trade out, or trade away to get the veteran help they want whether that’s immediately or by biding their time like they did with RJ, Obi, IQ, and Grimes.

If I had a son drafted by the Knicks, my advice would be to work hard, focus on fitting the rigid support role they’re offering, and I’ll have your agent working overtime in the background to pump up your trade value while finding you a real home where you’ll get a real chance.

Conversely, if I’m a young veteran on another team who doesn’t feel like I’ve been given the proper chance, going to the Knicks via FA or trade is super attractive because you won’t have your spot threatened by anyone younger than you.

I think they likely would've kept those young players if they had panned out and become stars.

They did not, and so they reckoned it was advantageous to cash in on their value as trade chips (largely based on the uncertainty of their upside). I think it makes sense with Brunson propelling the Knicks into playoff contention. It's an important development because it provides a strong rationale for the moves (not saying that you're saying the moves weren't justified in this context). The new salary cap also plays a significant factor. It's more punitive, so the value of each young player must been seen through the lens of their contract extension.

From that group, only IQ showed real signs of progress, and his skill set was overlapping with Brunson to some extent - therefore filling less of a need. I think it's likely that the salary cap combined with the skill set overlap played a role in their calculations.

Mitch for instance stayed because he was impactful in his role as a starter. They developed him, extended him, and evidently didn't find a deal they thought would provide more value than he does. Will that change in the future? We'll see.

Unlike Mitch, both RJ and Grimes regressed as starters despite being given plenty of opportunities. That they're gone may be a consequence of that moreso than a broad intention to maximize the value of their young talent to then by default trade it away. That they highly valued Grimes in the Mitchell talks before his regression this year is an example of that. Obi never projected as a starter to begin with and appeared like a sunk cost - not really worth mentioning.

My point is I don't think you're wrong that they viewed the youth as assets. I would however say that it wasn't inevitable they got traded. I think their career trajectories played a significant role in this. Between the two who really panned out for us (Mitch and IQ), one has stayed, and the other was traded for a massive roster upgrade due to different considerations, including a non-negligible skill overlap with the franchise player.

Great thoughts as usual. The fundamental difference between our world views is that I believe wholeheartedly that the Knicks cannot by rule ever draft a star unless that star comes out fully formed from day one like Patrick.

I realize you disagree but for me the overwhelming evidence of 40 years leaves me no question that you cannot develop a star player by hiring veterans to play ahead of him and demanding results on an immediate timeframe. It just cannot and will not work.

Leon is very transparently using the draft to groom role players as trade pawns. That’s it. End of story. It’s why he will trade down or out of every draft or if he does trade up it will be for a “win now” role player whose fate is inevitably to be moved to another team for a more established player.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,383

Post#165 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:14 am

cgmw wrote:We effectively traded Grimes and Obi for Bojan and Burks. RJ and IQ for OG and Precious.

The entire purpose of a drafted FRP to the Knicks is to maximize and continue to gauge trade value while getting use out of him as veteran support staff until the right deal comes along.

Personally I feel vindicated since I’ve been out here by myself for years telling anyone who’d listen in these ridiculous draft threads that they never wanted either draft picks or the guys they drafted.

And I’m telling you now, they don’t want any of their future picks either. Don’t get me wrong, they’ll happily draft a player to fit a rotation role but they’ll do everything they can to trade down, trade out, or trade away to get the veteran help they want whether that’s immediately or by biding their time like they did with RJ, Obi, IQ, and Grimes.

If I had a son drafted by the Knicks, my advice would be to work hard, focus on fitting the rigid support role they’re offering, and I’ll have your agent working overtime in the background to pump up your trade value while finding you a real home where you’ll get a real chance.

Conversely, if I’m a young veteran on another team who doesn’t feel like I’ve been given the proper chance, going to the Knicks via FA or trade is super attractive because you won’t have your spot threatened by anyone younger than you.

I don't think you're entirely wrong, but I think Leon and Thibs like building the ideal team. Earlier this year, I remember some talk of Randle being on the trade block (am I crazy or does anyone else remember that).

I think, for now, the only players not on the trade block - at all, are Brunson and OG, and to an extent, Donte. (am I crazy or do others agree)

I think they'd keep a player they draft if said player fits their roster. When they're wining, They make trades to get better. When they're in the lottery, they sell players to get picks. Most teams follow that formula.

Just a year ago, Grimes was untouchable. They didn't want to include him in the Donovan Mitchell trade and now, they swap him for considerably less return.

Where I agree with you, is that no player who'd drafted by the Knicks should buy an apt in New York City, or Westchester where they work out - better to rent. Where I disagree, is that, I think Thibs and Leon actually do target players in the draft that they like and want to fit into the team long term.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#166 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:30 am

Fat Kat wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Ryan Dunn?

Wow. I like him

Read on Twitter

If ESPN has him in the lotto region, he's probably gone when NYK picks. Seems like a good fit though. Can back up SF and PF
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,163

Post#167 » by F N 11 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:04 am

Knicks using picks this year for kids I bet and trading future picks.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,503

Post#168 » by DOT » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:49 pm

I know people are saying this is a bad class, but from what I've seen, it's not that it's a bad class, it's that there's no real #1 pick worthy guy

It seems to be pretty deep in terms of potential role players, so it's a good draft if you're a team just looking to add cheap depth, but a bad draft if you're looking for a star.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,045

Post#169 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:06 pm

Making a prediction that we’re going to draft Kel’el Ware. I don’t think they’re going to want to pay Ihart and our good friend Mike Woodson is his coach. So they should have all the inside info.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,703

Post#170 » by Ghetto Gospel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:15 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Ryan Dunn?

Wow. I like him

Read on Twitter

If ESPN has him in the lotto region, he's probably gone when NYK picks. Seems like a good fit though. Can back up SF and PF

his defense looks incredible, though i just looked him up and it looks like he can't shoot from 3 or the ft-line. looks a little tyrus thomas-y.

if he can develop even a mediocre 3-pt shot, he'll be in the league for a long time
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,205

Post#171 » by aggo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:21 pm

ok I rarely watch college bb

and I saw theres a lot of opinions on edey.

so I watched some tape.

I highly doubt he busts, and from a grading perspective I think middle r1 is about right for him. low ceiling player, but he's got some thickness in his body that you dont see a lot of young 7+ footers (look at Chet, wemby) and his hook shot isn't just gonna go away in the nba.

15mpg backup to start his career and I'd be fairly surprised if he busts quickly.

the rest depends on how fast his brain is at processing and whether or not he can defend at the rim vs nba level dribble drive.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 8,041

Post#172 » by ITGM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:48 am

We are drafting Bronny James: I'm not saying we should do this, but we are!

[end of discussion/]
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,496

Post#173 » by WargamesX » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:28 pm

its crazy the knicks have two picks in this draft going past the deadline and based on everything I have seen from them I still don't think they draft anyone.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,338

Post#174 » by The Lamma » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:21 pm

Moose wrote:The Mavs added some pieces, making it more likely the pick converts this season.

Not sure what the Knicks would do with both picks.

Based on past history, I expect them to trade at least one, if not both picks for future assets or obviously if a win-now piece becomes available.

And of course, packaging the picks to move up is also possible.

I know it's just one game, but they absolutely curbstomped OKC in their first game with the new acquisitions in the lineup. 146-111

Some of the talking heads said Dallas had the best trade deadline of any team.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#175 » by sol537 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Mavs have an outside chance of getting out of the west now. Luka is that good.

Both our picks will prob be in the 18-26 range. Maybe package them to move up. Long 3&d guys to replace Grimes makes sense. Restock on young and hungry guys.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#176 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:21 pm

This is an article on Ulrich Chomche. At 6'11" and 235lbs, Chomche actually has the type of explosiveness and athleticism for many scouts to peg him as a potential PF in the NBA. If he declares he is also projected to be the youngest player in this draft. Defense is his current high end skill but he also shot 38% from 3 on 7 3-point attempts per game in the NBA directed African league ball.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/nba-draft-2024-the-mystery-of-ulrich-chomche

At 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-4 wingspan he possesses elite physical tools for a forward. The physically gifted prospect also has great mobility and is very explosive making him one of the best all-around athletes in this year’s draft. With the athletic and physical tools he’s gifted it helps him make a significant impact on both ends of the floor and it will allow him to keep up with all the other NBA players in the athletic department.

Chomche’s ceiling as a defender is extremely high. He’s a versatile defender that has the mobility and tools to defend smaller players out on the perimeter throughout short spurts of a possession. Having a big that can be somewhat switchable late in shot clocks is awesome to have and all 30 NBA teams would love to have that on their roster. As a shot-blocker he shows great timing, vertical pop and utilization of his length to alter a ton of shots inside the painted area.

Offensively there are still some noticeable holes in his game and some areas he needs to polish up but the flashes are really, really impressive. As a finisher he uses all 6-foot-11 of him to finish efficiently. He’s a legit lob threat due to his wide catch radius, explosiveness and impressive vertical pop. At his size he has impressive shooting ability on great volume from three. In the three games he played he attempted 21 3-pointers and converted on 38.1% of them.

The stretch big potential is evident and he has a chance to be the best shooting big in this draft that is 6-foot-11 or taller. What really makes him so enticing on the offensive end is the playmaking flashes he has shown in the half-court. He shows the ability to be a good perimeter decision-maker with some legit passing creativity. Chomche has really intriguing passing upside which could separate him from a ton of other big men in this year’s draft.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,473

Post#177 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:This is an article on Ulrich Chomche. At 6'11" and 235lbs, Chomche actually has the type of explosiveness and athleticism for many scouts to peg him as a potential PF in the NBA. If he declares he is also projected to be the youngest player in this draft. Defense is his current high end skill but he also shot 38% from 3 on 7 3-point attempts per game in the NBA directed African league ball.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/nba-draft-2024-the-mystery-of-ulrich-chomche

At 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-4 wingspan he possesses elite physical tools for a forward. The physically gifted prospect also has great mobility and is very explosive making him one of the best all-around athletes in this year’s draft. With the athletic and physical tools he’s gifted it helps him make a significant impact on both ends of the floor and it will allow him to keep up with all the other NBA players in the athletic department.

Chomche’s ceiling as a defender is extremely high. He’s a versatile defender that has the mobility and tools to defend smaller players out on the perimeter throughout short spurts of a possession. Having a big that can be somewhat switchable late in shot clocks is awesome to have and all 30 NBA teams would love to have that on their roster. As a shot-blocker he shows great timing, vertical pop and utilization of his length to alter a ton of shots inside the painted area.

Offensively there are still some noticeable holes in his game and some areas he needs to polish up but the flashes are really, really impressive. As a finisher he uses all 6-foot-11 of him to finish efficiently. He’s a legit lob threat due to his wide catch radius, explosiveness and impressive vertical pop. At his size he has impressive shooting ability on great volume from three. In the three games he played he attempted 21 3-pointers and converted on 38.1% of them.

The stretch big potential is evident and he has a chance to be the best shooting big in this draft that is 6-foot-11 or taller. What really makes him so enticing on the offensive end is the playmaking flashes he has shown in the half-court. He shows the ability to be a good perimeter decision-maker with some legit passing creativity. Chomche has really intriguing passing upside which could separate him from a ton of other big men in this year’s draft.

Just saw an highlight reel. Would love to get him.
:beer: RIP mags
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,961

Post#178 » by 8516knicks » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:29 pm

Just took a look at Scoot Henderson's stats. What happened? Seriously over-rated or what? :dontknow:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,473

Post#179 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:35 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
moocow007 wrote:This is an article on Ulrich Chomche. At 6'11" and 235lbs, Chomche actually has the type of explosiveness and athleticism for many scouts to peg him as a potential PF in the NBA. If he declares he is also projected to be the youngest player in this draft. Defense is his current high end skill but he also shot 38% from 3 on 7 3-point attempts per game in the NBA directed African league ball.

Just saw an highlight reel. Would love to get him.

https://youtu.be/PCstPa6rW9I?si=GWTz5nN1pGRUBQr2
:beer: RIP mags
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:27 pm

WargamesX wrote:its crazy the knicks have two picks in this draft going past the deadline and based on everything I have seen from them I still don't think they draft anyone.

I think it depends a lot on who they like. If there's a player they like, they're keeping him.

The story about the Knicks last draft was that they were trying to acquire a pick. Why would they want to trade for a pick if there wasn't a specific player they were targeting?

and it's not really draft, but what are the odds that Rokas Jokubaitis joins the Knicks next year. Career .411 3 pt shooter in Europe. Not sure if they have a shorter 3 pt line or not though.

Return to New York Knicks