ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,311

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 

Post#181 » by sol537 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:12 am

We can expect two picks in the 17-25 range. Grab a PG floor general and a 6’8” 3&d guy and see if both can develop off the bench.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#182 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:24 pm

sol537 wrote:We can expect two picks in the 17-25 range. Grab a PG floor general and a 6’8” 3&d guy and see if both can develop off the bench.

I don't want to draft another point guard for us to not play. We should just try to sign that pg we have stashed to a 3-year deal.

Getting a 3-D wing will be tough because that's like the most coveted position in the NBA, but as a Uconn fan I support Newton in the 2nd round. 6'5'' can make the open shot, can handle, plays feverish defense.

IDK who Dillon Jones is, but his tankathon profile makes him look good (22 year old, good shooting, good defense)

Would love for us to be able to get one of those trees (Clingan, Edey)
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,762

Post#183 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:38 pm

aggo wrote:ok I rarely watch college bb

and I saw theres a lot of opinions on edey.

so I watched some tape.

I highly doubt he busts, and from a grading perspective I think middle r1 is about right for him. low ceiling player, but he's got some thickness in his body that you dont see a lot of young 7+ footers (look at Chet, wemby) and his hook shot isn't just gonna go away in the nba.

15mpg backup to start his career and I'd be fairly surprised if he busts quickly.

the rest depends on how fast his brain is at processing and whether or not he can defend at the rim vs nba level dribble drive.

He feels like maybe a slightly better Boban to me. A change of pace guy who maybe helps you win a few regular season games you shouldn't otherwise.

He's just too stiff at that size to survive defensively in a high leverage situation IMO and he's not really a lob threat in pick and roll because he doesn't get off the ground.

The only thing that intrigues me is that he flashed some "empty gym shooting" and he's shot a respectable 70% from the free throw line for his college career. If you believe he can eventually mold himself into a Brook Lopez type, then he might be worth a flier. But there's a lot of development that needs to happen for that to come to fruition and you're likely not going to get that as the first team drafting him tbh. I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#184 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

so I watched some tape.

I highly doubt he busts, and from a grading perspective I think middle r1 is about right for him. low ceiling player, but he's got some thickness in his body that you dont see a lot of young 7+ footers (look at Chet, wemby) and his hook shot isn't just gonna go away in the nba.

15mpg backup to start his career and I'd be fairly surprised if he busts quickly.

the rest depends on how fast his brain is at processing and whether or not he can defend at the rim vs nba level dribble drive.

He feels like maybe a slightly better Boban to me. A change of pace guy who maybe helps you win a few regular season games you shouldn't otherwise.

He's just too stiff at that size to survive defensively in a high leverage situation IMO and he's not really a lob threat in pick and roll because he doesn't get off the ground.

The only thing that intrigues me is that he flashed some "empty gym shooting" and he's shot a respectable 70% from the free throw line for his college career. If you believe he can eventually mold himself into a Brook Lopez type, then he might be worth a flier. But there's a lot of development that needs to happen for that to come to fruition and you're likely not going to get that as the first team drafting him tbh. I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him.

Edey reminds me a lot of Yao. Very skilled. Is he as crafty as the former all-star? IDK, but that is the high-end comp I would say. Low end obviously is the likes of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, maybe Rik Smitts (I forget if he was athletic coming into the league).

Edey would be a player who other teams would have to respond to, so can they out-shoot him or would he out-post them?
Would be great situationally for him to be able to match up with Embiid and Jokic.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,434

Post#185 » by stuporman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:56 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:I think we’ll keep one pick and try to trade the other for a future pick.

As per my usual, I’d like a long 3&D wing or SF/PF. Sort of an OG understudy/injury replacement. Who’ll be in our range?

Ryan Dunn?

From Freeport, NY, too...but he's shooting 56% on FTs so concerned he won't ever develop a jumper.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,434

Post#186 » by stuporman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:08 pm

I always enjoy sifting through prospects before the draft but with the way the Knicks seem to punt on picks so often I wonder if they will actually pick any of these young players. Their preference for older prospects does give me a little bit of direction on which ones may be taken if I do the research, though.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#187 » by camillepd » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 pm

Dillon Jones Weber State is the pick ( and a Thibs dream!)
louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,389

Post#188 » by louisorr » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:23 am

What pisses me off is they trade every single guy they drafted recently,
ever since Phil was smart enough to start retaining picks.
traded em all
for injury prone, old or just plain sucky players.
Then I talk myself into oh well they weren't going to sign Grimes anyway
because look what happened with RJ and he became a bad contract.
so I get excited because we have 2 draft picks
and June rolls around
and I take the day off and sit in front of my TV.
and then they f ing trade out of the first round,
I mean have y'all been following this team.
there shan't be any draft picks or young players to get excited about.
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 774

Post#189 » by nyk2017 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:50 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

so I watched some tape.

Edey reminds me a lot of Yao. Very skilled. Is he as crafty as the former all-star? IDK, but that is the high-end comp I would say. Low end obviously is the likes of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, maybe Rik Smitts (I forget if he was athletic coming into the league).

Edey would be a player who other teams would have to respond to, so can they out-shoot him or would he out-post them?
Would be great situationally for him to be able to match up with Embiid and Jokic.

Edey is not an NBA player
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#190 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:06 pm

nyk2017 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

He might not be with how the rules are set up currently.
He also could be a taller Jokic
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
knicks1999
Junior
And1: 130

Post#191 » by knicks1999 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Does any Knicks fan really believe we are going to draft 2 players in the first round?….we would be lucky if they used just 1 of the picks and not trade it
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,165

Post#192 » by Fat Kat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:31 pm

knicks1999 wrote:Does any Knicks fan really believe we are going to draft 2 players in the first round?….we would be lucky if they used just 1 of the picks and not trade it

I think they’ll pick one trade one
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
knicks1999
Junior
And1: 130

Post#193 » by knicks1999 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:33 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
knicks1999 wrote:Does any Knicks fan really believe we are going to draft 2 players in the first round?….we would be lucky if they used just 1 of the picks and not trade it

I think they’ll pick one trade one

Hopefully…..I have little faith in the Knicks drafting a player…
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,165

Post#194 » by Fat Kat » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
nyk2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 774

Post#195 » by nyk2017 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:10 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
nyk2017 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Edey reminds me a lot of Yao. Very skilled. Is he as crafty as the former all-star? IDK, but that is the high-end comp I would say. Low end obviously is the likes of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, maybe Rik Smitts (I forget if he was athletic coming into the league).

I would suggest that you watch some Purdue games. Edey can't move, can't jump and is slower than molasses. The only reason he dominates college basketball is because of his size and the fact that he has some skill. In the NBA, he would be useless. Edey is like Boban Marjanovic in slow motion.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#196 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:38 pm

nyk2017 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
nyk2017 wrote:

I would suggest that you watch some Purdue games. Edey can't move, can't jump and is slower than molasses. The only reason he dominates college basketball is because of his size and the fact that he has some skill. In the NBA, he would be useless. Edey is like Boban Marjanovic in slow motion.

Simply put -- we disagree.
He isn't a fluid athlete for sure, but neither is Brook Lopez. He is in the mold of an elite center from the 90's. He would be an allstar 30 years ago with those rules. His survivability will likely depend on his ability to give it more than he gets it. From what I have watched, he has some very nifty footwork and ability to manipulate his weight to give him a leverage advantage. This is not a nothing skill.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 8,045

Post#197 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm

Sounds like the nba is thinking about pulling the plug on the G league ignite. It just doesn’t seem to be good for the players or the g league. Especially when the team is so bad. It can barely hang with the other g league teams. I don’t think it even makes sense for the players now that the NIL money is flowing in college. Go play in front of 80,000 college kids instead of empty arenas in games that no one cares about.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,208

Post#198 » by aggo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:18 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

ok

I watched all those guys

Devin Carter would worry me because I dont think he can play PG at the next level. His plus is his elite on ball defense and the fact that he's played off ball and shot from the corner. the kid also can fly, but his handle just inst there to be a ball handler at the next level. he'll probably also need to change his shooting mechanics bc its just too slow for the corner.

hes basically miles McBride.

Mccullar I would really need to watch a lot more tape and I saw some instances where he was processing the game at a very fast level where he was able to hit cutters on his dribble drive with perfect ball placement. but he's 22 and I would really need to watch his previous years to convince me he's improving. I'd almost certainly take him over Carter rn.

bal i dient see enough to form an opinion other than the few instances he drove down the lane I didn't see high quality attempts vs fouls. would need to see more tape to see if he cant play thru contact.

if that's what's available at 15-30 yeah, I would consider this a weak as hell draft if edey is also supposedly in the late teens.

just not a lot of high ceiling guys.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#199 » by 8516knicks » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:40 pm

;pp=ygUTd2UgbmVlZCBhIGhlcm8gc29uZw%3D%3D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,476

Post#200 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks