ImageImageImageImageImage

What about Mitch?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,125

What about Mitch? 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:40 pm

I really like Mitch. He’s worked his butt off and has improved his game. He’s also been a good teammate. That said, the injuries are pilling up and it’s proving difficult to keep him on the court.

This reminds me of when we had center Bill Cartwright who suffered with a recurring broken foot. The Knicks eventually got frustrated and traded him the Bulls where the foot healed and Bill won a bunch of rings.

I don’t see IHart as the answer even though he’s doing his best out there and playing pretty well. But maybe some of you feel differently.

Do we need to make a move at the 1?
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Re: What about Mitch? 

Post#2 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I really like Mitch. He’s worked his butt off and has improved his game. He’s also been a good teammate. That said, the injuries are pilling up and it’s proving difficult to keep him on the court.

This reminds me of when we had center Bill Cartwright who suffered with a recurring broken foot. The Knicks eventually got frustrated and traded him the Bulls where the foot healed and Bill won a bunch of rings.

I don’t see IHart as the answer even though he’s doing his best out there and playing pretty well. But maybe some of you feel differently.

Do we need to make a move at the 1?

Ummm...no.
:beer: RIP mags
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,540

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:41 pm

Isn't there a puncher's chance that Mitch came come back by April? I swear i saw a report that the Knicks brass hasn't written off the chance of him returning
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#4 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Isn't there a puncher's chance that Mitch came come back by April? I swear i saw a report that the Knicks brass hasn't written off the chance of him returning

Initially it was 8-10 weeks. Then we heard season ending but, not sure that was written in stone or anything. Depending on what happens to the team after the trade now. Are we better or did we just slip into 7-10 play in territory? I wouldn't rush Mitch back if we weren't playing well at the end of these season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:51 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Isn't there a puncher's chance that Mitch came come back by April? I swear i saw a report that the Knicks brass hasn't written off the chance of him returning

Initially it was 8-10 weeks. Then we heard season ending but, not sure that was written in stone or anything. Depending on what happens to the team after the trade now. Are we better or did we just slip into 7-10 play in territory? I wouldn't rush Mitch back if we weren't playing well at the end of these season.

If the worst case happens, I agree. He should sit. But i don't think Leon is done with trades and I don't think the last 2 games are indicative of how the rest of the season goes.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,728

Post#6 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:02 pm

Precious for Drummond?
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,115

Post#7 » by Snacks » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Precious for Drummond?

How long has it been that Drummond impacted winning if ever?
I've been hoping for a Isiah Stewart or Patrick Williams --- and I think we may have something with Achiuwa -
He's a fast powerful defender/offensive rebounder that can switch and protect the rim.
I want to see a Precious/Jules/OG front court for extended minutes
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#8 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

If the worst case happens, I agree. He should sit. But i don't think Leon is done with trades and I don't think the last 2 games are indicative of how the rest of the season goes.

I didn't even feel like last night's game was real! :lol: Still stunned that I woke up to the news. I don't know how the bench roles fill out after this. Does DDV start or do they go to Grimes? Where does IQs scoring come from?

Did they just kill chemistry/continuity with this trade? Flynn/Precious are just filler. I don't expect much of anything from either player. Losing IQ in this trade stings a little. I am not a huge OG fan at all. He has never impressed me but, I only see him when we play them. Now we get a first hand look at the player everyone wanted to trade for. Just seems like we killed our bench to do this. That's gonna be a problem if Grimes doesn't step up in whatever role he is put in.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 49,014

Post#9 » by robillionaire » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:14 pm

I’m not counting on it. Even if he gets the foot healthy he’s going to be out of game shape from 3 months of fortnite
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,728

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:14 pm

Snacks wrote:

I've been hoping for a Isiah Stewart or Patrick Williams --- and I think we may have something with Achiuwa -
He's a fast powerful defender/offensive rebounder that can switch and protect the rim.

Everyone but Thibs would like to see it. So they get Drummond to replace useless Simms and washed Taj. Not what I would do but I'm not the secret GM of the Knicks
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#11 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:56 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Snacks wrote:

Everyone but Thibs would like to see it. So they get Drummond to replace useless Simms and washed Taj. Not what I would do but I'm not the secret GM of the Knicks

I like our guys, but Drummond is quietly proving he should be starting over Vuc.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,125

Post#12 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:32 pm

Snacks wrote:

The Bulls started him earlier in the week. I guess they were showcasing him bc he put up numbers.

It's a plot! :lol:
Free Palestine
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:19 pm

I think the team needs to keep him, i think he will fill a need.

Drummond impacts play on the defensive glass, but that's about it. He is nowhere near the impact player that Mitch is on both ends.

nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#14 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:50 pm

Here me out: Mitch + Fournier + Sims + 2 picks for Ayton.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,953

Post#15 » by god shammgod » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:51 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:Here me out: Mitch + Fournier + Sims + 2 picks for Ayton.

you were melo this whole time ?!?!?!?

also.....no
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#16 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:25 pm

god shammgod wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Here me out: Mitch + Fournier + Sims + 2 picks for Ayton.

you were melo this whole time ?!?!?!?

also.....no

lol, Ayton is a dude. put him here he'd be Ewing 100%
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,374

Post#17 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:31 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

I didn't even feel like last night's game was real! :lol: Still stunned that I woke up to the news. I don't know how the bench roles fill out after this. Does DDV start or do they go to Grimes? Where does IQs scoring come from?

Did they just kill chemistry/continuity with this trade? Flynn/Precious are just filler. I don't expect much of anything from either player. Losing IQ in this trade stings a little. I am not a huge OG fan at all. He has never impressed me but, I only see him when we play them. Now we get a first hand look at the player everyone wanted to trade for. Just seems like we killed our bench to do this. That's gonna be a problem if Grimes doesn't step up in whatever role he is put in.

That's kind of how I felt after the trade. I feel very differently now. Yes, we miss Quick, but we're still better now.

. . . not to bump an old thread, but reading your post I kind of had too.

Back to the thread:

Mitch is great, but injuries are a concern. Camby used to be like that, but Camby still had a good career.
Uh oh. Somebody needs to call Rick Carlisle a whaaambulance.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,807

Post#18 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:54 pm

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/rebounding?dir=D&sort=REB_CONTEST

Mitch is still good. Top 5 players in terms of contested rebounds:

1. Mitch Robinson 6.1
2. Anthony Davis 5.7
3. Jokic 5.4
4. Capela 5.1
5. Embiid 5.0

Hart is at 3.9, but to really see both their impacts, you need to check out the percentages. Mitch has a 59.7% contested rebound percentage and Hart has a 51.6%, which is really good. This might be a function of scheme and toolkit, considering it's Thibs and Mitch can't shoot, but the other top 5 have percentages in the 40s. The only other significant players with 50%+ rates are Drummond, Mark Williams and Day'Ron.

So Mitch is one of the few that's really grabbing the contested boards and playing strong defense. That 59.7% rate also puts him in a different category compared to the leaders. He has value. Hart has different strengths that should be taken into account, too, but he's good, too. Again, to reiterate, scheme and toolkit matter. Thibs loves his bigs playing the way they do. Embiid, Jokic and even Davis have way more responsibilities. But, if you're comparing Mitch to his rim-running peers, Mitch stands out, compared to Capela, Allen, Gafford, etc.

In case anyone was wondering, Randle is at 2.6, with a 27.4% rate, but the thing is, the team is probably better if Mitch boxes out and Randle gets it. Oh, and because I hate this guy, weak ass Vuc at 3.1 and 30.5% at center.
gmpknick
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#19 » by gmpknick » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:20 pm

Mitch, is a decent back-up center in the NBA...he is NOT a starting center. When he is on the floor its a 4 on 5 offense all the time..can't make foul shots, no game in the paint unless rebound dunk or lob, fouls way too much, Hartenstein, give this team so much more..can do everything Mitch can't....glad to see Hartenstein proving that when he's on the floor..If and whenever Mitch comes back...he needs to go to the backup roll at center...LGK!!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,691

Post#20 » by cgf » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:27 pm

gmpknick wrote:Mitch, is a decent back-up center in the NBA...he is NOT a starting center. When he is on the floor its a 4 on 5 offense all the time..can't make foul shots, no game in the paint unless rebound dunk or lob, fouls way too much, Hartenstein, give this team so much more..can do everything Mitch can't....glad to see Hartenstein proving that when he's on the floor..If and whenever Mitch comes back...he needs to go to the backup roll at center...LGK!!

All the advanced metrics say that his defensive contribution far outweighs how much he limits an offense :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to New York Knicks