ImageImageImageImageImage

OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks, Part 2

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,165

OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks, Part 2 

Post#1 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:19 pm

Continue… or not.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,536

Re: OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks, Part 2 

Post#2 » by rajajackal » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:20 pm

i'm hyped on this guy after yesterday's game. i didn't realize he was so high IQ
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,139

Post#3 » by F N 11 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:34 pm

Inb4derail
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,200

Post#4 » by Fury » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:37 pm

And one more thing about RJ
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,601

Post#5 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:37 pm

@DeeeezKnicks

I definitely agree with you that Toronto didn't view RJ's contract as "toxic", even if other front offices do per Zach Lowe. I didn't mean to suggest that they viewed it as such. It wouldn't make sense based on the details of the trade. I just see a range of possibilities for this deal, none of which approaches "toxic" territory in the case of Toronto.

In the end, it was a reasonable deal for both sides. Time will tell if it tilts in favor of one or the other. I personally hope it works out for all sides including the players. Would be a nice story if he could stay in Toronto and become an impactful player in whichever role there.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,446

Post#6 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:42 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:@DeeeezKnicks

I definitely agree with you that Toronto didn't view RJ's contract as "toxic", even if other front offices do per Zach Lowe. I didn't mean to suggest that they viewed it as such. It wouldn't make sense based on the details of the trade. I just see a range of possibilities for this deal, none of which approaches "toxic" territory in the case of Toronto.

In the end, it was a reasonable deal for both sides. Time will tell if it tilts in favor of one or the other. I personally hope it works out for all sides including the players. Would be a nice story if he could stay in Toronto and become an impactful player in whichever role there.

If IQ lives up to your hype and RJ becomes a player you never believed he could :lol:, then we lost this trade.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,810

Post#7 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:44 pm

I definitely agree with you that Toronto didn't view RJ's contract as "toxic", even if other front offices do per Zach Lowe. I didn't mean to suggest that they viewed it as such. It wouldn't make sense based on the details of the trade. I just see a range of possibilities for this deal.

There's still a wide range of outcomes for RJ. There was definitely a risk he'd become albatross. Then there were some signs, like his improved free throw shooting, which should portend better results on the court, and defense. I think the biggest problem was that we ran out of time. Brunson and Randle are due to receive extensions. Picks are due to be used soon (or traded). IQ wanted to get paid.

Heard Toronto thinks the more free-flowing system will benefit RJ. We'll see. He has the roots.

As for my end, I've been clamoring for the Knicks to take 3&D basketball a lot more seriously in forever, and I guess they finally took it very seriously.

Biggest winner in all this is Sam Rose, though...damn, what a career.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,588

Post#8 » by NYKnickerbocker » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:47 pm

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a on ball defender like Og. Where you can visibly see he’s is changing the game. Won’t have to look at the advanced metrics, +\-. You can easily see it with his disciple, length, IQ, athleticism. Teams go out of their way to avoid him. Last guy like that for us was probably rookie shump and spurts of Frank.

Mentioned it before, but him being so springy under the rim, being able to throw down standing dunks like he’s a traditional big was a surprise to me. After years of watching RJ flub running start dunks, it’s nice that to see.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,601

Post#9 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:49 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:

If IQ lives up to your hype and RJ becomes a player you never believed he could :lol:, then we lost this trade.

And I have no idea if that would make you sad or happy :lol:
Senior
And1: 404

Post#10 » by 1999 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:51 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Not necessarily. One could argue that both players would’ve never reached their potential in NY no matter what. Randle was in RJ’s way and Brunson in Quickley’s. Could it have worked? Yes, maybe with a different coach. But we can’t play hypotheticals. With our style of play, this was the only possible outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,139

Post#11 » by F N 11 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:51 pm

Sigh this is unbelievable
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,647

Post#12 » by Meat » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:58 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:

nah, cuz they weren't going to do that here, they needed the change of scenery.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,752

Post#13 » by RHODEY » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:00 pm

1999 wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Not necessarily. One could argue that both players would’ve never reached their potential in NY no matter what. Randle was in RJ’s way and Brunson in Quickley’s. Could it have worked? Yes, maybe with a different coach. But we can’t play hypotheticals. With our style of play, this was the only possible outcome.

Yes...I see now that fit matters. It can make a team better than the sum of its parts. Or talent can be wasted when it doesn't fit. I'm at peace with this trade now.

At peace and "ready to jump off the cliff" excited after last night's performance.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:05 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

And I have no idea if that would make you sad or happy :lol:

:lol: me either!!!

I don't like letting IQ go but, whatever. I hope the trade works out for us. IDGAF what happens in Toronto because it's only natural that both players become stars after we trade them. :lol:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:13 pm

1999 wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Ummm... necessarily.

If we had two all stars buried behind Brunson and Randle...then we should have gotten a much bigger haul for them in trades. Which means we lost the trade. Which means we have the worst GM in history of your scenario proves true.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,427
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#16 » by BKlutch » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:39 pm

rajajackal wrote:i'm hyped on this guy after yesterday's game. i didn't realize he was so high IQ

Probably one of the smartest players in the NBA. Much smarter than most folks.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,514

Post#17 » by blueNorange » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:40 pm

#8 is a good number too
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#18 » by GettinitDone » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,427
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#19 » by BKlutch » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:41 pm

He works hard and has a good character. People are responsible for that, but can't change the skills and talents they inherited from their parents. So like him or not as a player, one has to appreciate his effort.

Apparently, though, OG has more IQ than IQ. :wink:

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,759

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:44 pm

Maybe Precious can learn from Taj

Return to New York Knicks