ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continued… again

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,012

Re: Around the NBA - Continued… again 

Post#1901 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:All the extra stuff and lack of availability overshadows how actually good of a player he is.

True - I mean I 100% disagree with his politics but that doesn't make players a bust or not. I wish our defense wasn't SO dependent on him but it's pretty much night and day (our bench defense without him out there). Him and Suggs are basically the heads of the snake for our defense being top 5 the entire year. But he's in a weird tier because he's not fair value if you can't get value out of him due to injury, but his value being immense in limited minutes .. kind of a conundrum lol.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,161

Post#1902 » by Reign23 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:39 pm

formerly known as knickst4pe
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,154

Post#1903 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:11 pm

Reign23 wrote:stud.

This one of them front teeth gold teeth gun pon teeth performances.

Scottie being out is going to give him a lot more usage and facilitation responsibility too. Good situation for his continued development.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,540

Post#1904 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:11 pm

SOUL wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:All the extra stuff and lack of availability overshadows how actually good of a player he is.

True - I mean I 100% disagree with his politics but that doesn't make players a bust or not. I wish our defense wasn't SO dependent on him but it's pretty much night and day (our bench defense without him out there). Him and Suggs are basically the heads of the snake for our defense being top 5 the entire year. But he's in a weird tier because he's not fair value if you can't get value out of him due to injury, but his value being immense in limited minutes .. kind of a conundrum lol.

Yeah it's a shame, politics aside, the guy is a defensive stud hooper, but the injuries have been rough. I feel bad for the fans of the Magic more than him though, if that makes sense.

But speaking of Suggs, man. The guy has turned himself into one of the best 3 + D guards in the league. You've got to be excited about his development.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1905 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:15 pm

Bronny James will decide whether to enter the 2024 NBA Draft based on team interest as opposed to projected draft position, Rich Paul told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"I don't value a young player getting into the lottery as much as I do getting him on the right team in the right developmental situation," said Paul.

Paul added that drafting Bronny James doesn't automatically mean landing LeBron James in free agency.

"LeBron wants Bronny to be his own man," added Paul.

Bronny James is averaging 5.2 points and 2.8 rebounds for USC this season.

Bronny is not an NBA prospect, and honestly part of me feels bad for him because his Dad placed all these unrealistic expectations on him when it was obvious since high school that the kid didn't have it. Oh well, it's not like he has anything to lose by flaming out, his trust fund is probably sweet.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1906 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:17 pm

mpharris36 wrote:SGA is the truth

Top 5?

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,161

Post#1907 » by Reign23 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:03 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Scottie being out is going to give him a lot more usage and facilitation responsibility too. Good situation for his continued development.

yep, but they will lose most of the remaining games anyway. their team is bad :lol:
formerly known as knickst4pe
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1908 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:13 pm

Reign23 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

yep, but they will lose most of the remaining games anyway. their team is bad :lol:

oh yeah. that growth environment has nothing to do with winning. :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,531

Post#1909 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:39 pm

Raptors rebuild can be short if they play their cards right and draft wisely. Easier said than done tho lol
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,762

Post#1910 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Bronny James will decide whether to enter the 2024 NBA Draft based on team interest as opposed to projected draft position, Rich Paul told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

"I don't value a young player getting into the lottery as much as I do getting him on the right team in the right developmental situation," said Paul.

Paul added that drafting Bronny James doesn't automatically mean landing LeBron James in free agency.

"LeBron wants Bronny to be his own man," added Paul.

Bronny James is averaging 5.2 points and 2.8 rebounds for USC this season.

Bronny is not an NBA prospect, and honestly part of me feels bad for him because his Dad placed all these unrealistic expectations on him when it was obvious since high school that the kid didn't have it. Oh well, it's not like he has anything to lose by flaming out, his trust fund is probably sweet.

Paying the DraftExpress guy to put him in the top 10 in that first 2024 mock he had was nasty work by Klutch :lol:

On the other had this is why I've always found "post-decision" Lebron unlikeable. Man loves talking out of both sides of his mouth on everything. Him recently chastising everyone/the media for not letting his son just enjoy basketball and be his own man was so ridiculous considering LeBron who was the one on record saying his son could play in the league right now. He also has made it known through his own quotes and through back channel sources that he wants to play with his son before he retires.

Now since his son has struggled he's back tracking and blaming everyone else for putting the expectations on him which is complete BS. LeBron himself put the expectations on him and now realizes it's unfair to do that.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,807

Post#1911 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:47 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Seriously, I'm surprised at how well he is playing. Wish he could have done this for us earlier.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1912 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:55 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Seriously, I'm surprised at how well he is playing. Wish he could have done this for us earlier.

it's all different. he's got a LOT of space to operate in. not blaming anyone, because i think his teammates did want him to thrive, julius included. but the lefties all kind of operated in the same space in similar ways. RJ's not a floor spacer generally. like so many players, kind of needs the ball. but we didn't need him to need the ball.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,190

Post#1913 » by mpharris36 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:06 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

it's all different. he's got a LOT of space to operate in. not blaming anyone, because i think his teammates did want him to thrive, julius included. but the lefties all kind of operated in the same space in similar ways. RJ's not a floor spacer generally. like so many players, kind of needs the ball. but we didn't need him to need the ball.

its fascinating...he now has a 62 TS% in 24 games (not a small sample size). And his FT% has went into the tank in TOR (59% which is really bad).

but his finishing at the the hoop is crazy uptick. It really shows it just wasn't the right situation here...they are running a lot of downhill action for him and he is strong and the floor is spaced for him.

Happy for him. IQ really hasn't taken off but those are two good guys.

Ultimately I think we got the best player in the deal, but its all about health for OG.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,847

Post#1914 » by DaGawd » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:10 pm

… it’s the hornets!
BaF
Washington Wizards
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#1915 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:19 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He was at times but, too many mouths to feed. There really was a bad fit with him and Randle. Thibs doesn't run a generous system so, they had to decide what player to sacrifice. They made a good trade in that regard before the injuries piled up.

RJ is better than many give him credit for around here. He just didn't fit next to Randle. I would have kept the younger player but, whatever. Good luck to him and IQ. We traded our depth and lost our starters at the same time basically.
:beer: RIP mags
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,997

Post#1916 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:22 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He's been FANTASTIC since joining the Raps. But what the heck happened to his FT shooting? :lol: (59% from the charity stripe)
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,190

Post#1917 » by mpharris36 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:48 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He's been FANTASTIC since joining the Raps. But what the heck happened to his FT shooting? :lol: (59% from the charity stripe)

thats the most crazy thing about his EFF uptick with the Raps...the one thing he really improved on with the Knicks was his FT shooting...he was +80% for us this year and it seemed sustainable.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1918 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:50 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

thats the most crazy thing about his EFF uptick with the Raps...the one thing he really improved on with the Knicks was his FT shooting...he was +80% for us this year and it seemed sustainable.

i got nothing. he is a genuinely perplexing player. :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,513

Post#1919 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:57 pm

Re: RJ - the left side of the court is open for him in Toronto and they clear out the center as well. I am surprised at his vision. He hasn't been as much of a ballhog there and that's paying off.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,278

Post#1920 » by sol537 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:05 pm

I see RJ capping out as a pretty solid starting SF or SG though I imagine his defense will always be suspect and his efficiency will fluctuate month to month. His best role would probably be as a super 6th man 30 minute Manu Ginobli type.

IQ's best role is probably as a super 6th man as well. But, barring that, his second best role is starting SG next to a 6'5" true PG who could defend bigger guards and take the ball-handling duties away from IQ so IQ can focus on attacking and being a 3pt catch and shoot guy.

Toronto will likely continue to use both as starting guys for another year or two.

Return to New York Knicks