ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Donte's Ceiling?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,803

Re: What's Donte's Ceiling? 

Post#101 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 am

KnixinSix wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
This is why Randle getting all that attention in the post becomes critical. If Randle is back healthy, these guys are going to get a ton more open C&S looks
Id argue that Mitch and his league leading Offensive rebounding is just as critical.

Mitch is somewhat mitigated by IHarts emergence. Not totally mind you and he is a better offensive rebounder but I Hart has been nothing short of dominant in numerous areas including rebounding.

On the other hand no one draws the attention in the low post like Randle does. Which leaves guys wide open on the perimeter.

Bootomline, while Precious has been solid, the delta between Precious and Randle is much greater than the delta between IHart and Mitch.
No one offensive rebounds like Mitch..not even IHart.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#102 » by KnixinSix » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:27 am

RHODEY wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Id argue that Mitch and his league leading Offensive rebounding is just as critical.

Mitch is somewhat mitigated by IHarts emergence. Not totally mind you and he is a better offensive rebounder but I Hart has been nothing short of dominant in numerous areas including rebounding.

On the other hand no one draws the attention in the low post like Randle does. Which leaves guys wide open on the perimeter.

Bootomline, while Precious has been solid, the delta between Precious and Randle is much greater than the delta between IHart and Mitch.
No one offensive rebounds like Mitch..not even IHart.

No one arguing that BUT....with IHart manning the Center position at the level he is at we need Randle back a whole lot more than Mitchell
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,806

Post#103 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:17 am

This touches on Donte's improved shot selection etc. Katz mentions Donte adjusted setting his upper body, based on watching Step.

;t=583s
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,340

Post#104 » by The Lamma » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:28 am

Stucco, perhaps
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 3,037

Post#105 » by GettinitDone » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 am

Guano wrote:Tyler Herro

A slightly less athletic Herro with actually more range, but with his D, DDV may have already actually surpassed Herro as a total overall player.

I have said on many threads I wouldn't trade him straight up for Herro.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,627

Post#106 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:17 pm

GettinitDone wrote:

A slightly less athletic Herro with actually more range, but with his D, DDV may have already actually surpassed Herro as a total overall player.

Shame on you guan0

And Donte is starting to get overrated now. Tyler Herro is better than him. What are we doing here lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,594

Post#107 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:25 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:

Shame on you guan0

And Donte is starting to get overrated now. Tyler Herro is better than him. What are we doing here lol
I think he’s better than Donte too, but Tyler has been pretty mediocre efficiency wise this year while Donte has been only getting better even with more shots and ball handling responsibilities
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,762

Post#108 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:33 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:

Shame on you guan0

I don't think it's that crazy bro... Herro is pretty overrated himself.

Donte is more efficient this season
His advanced metrics are better:
Has a higher EPM
Has a higher LEBRON
Has a higher Win Shares per 48

If you want to give Herro a little more leeway because he has more responsibility in the offense, then i'll hear that out but, everything outside of counting stats point to DVV being better than Herro this season.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#109 » by cgf » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:35 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:

Shame on you guan0

Herro's a better creator, but if DDV keeps shooting like a prime Klay, the offensive gap closes a lot. I do think Donte's defense is a little over-rated because he has good hands and hops to make plays, despite his size letting teams pick on him, but it is an advantage for him over Herro...despite Herro's improvement on that end.

The big question is how hot can Donte keep shooting the 3? We've seen guys just get hot for a whole year before regressing to their career marks, so that could be what we're seeing. But he's also kept it up for long enough that we have to consider the possibility that he's just leveled up as a shooter and landed in a perfect spot.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#110 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:38 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:

Shame on you guan0

I think he’s better than Donte too, but Tyler has been pretty mediocre efficiency wise this year while Donte has been only getting better even with more shots and ball handling responsibilities

His efficiency isn’t the best but he’s a better scorer and a much better playmaker. They both are meh on defense. I still think Donte is a 6th man
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#111 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:43 pm

But tbf I’m mainly just going off the eye test. I think Tyler Herro is a potential all star one day. I don’t see that upside in Donte. He still screams 6th man (Jr smith) vibes to me. If anyone remembers, JR had an insane stretch in 2013 similar to Donte is right now. K-Mart said I don’t know what dude eating for breakfast but he gotta keep eating that lol eventually Jr came back to earth

Edit this the stretch I’m talking about
Read on Twitter
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,762

Post#112 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:54 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Image
But tbf I’m mainly just going off the eye test. I think Tyler Herro is a potential all star one day. I don’t see that upside in Donte. He still screams 6th man (Jr smith) vibes to me. If anyone remembers, JR had an insane stretch in 2013 similar to Donte is right now. K-Mart said I don’t know what dude eating for breakfast but he gotta keep eating that lol eventually Jr came back to earth

Read on Twitter

Yeah I could see Donte coming back down to earth a bit but, also I think the difference between JR and Donte is that seemingly Donte won't randomly elbow someone in the playoffs and then go on a nightclub bender chasing Rihanna and showing up hungover :lol:

JR also I think was more inclined to take off the dribble shots than Donte is. When fully healthy, he'll go back to being more of a spot up guy. The Knicks just needed his creation through this stretch because our whole team is injured :lol:
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by KnixinSix » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:25 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
GettinitDone wrote:

Shame on you guan0

Over the last 12-20ish games DDVs numbers are absolute star/borderline superstar level type production. The question is simply this: is it sustainable? He is still a fairly young player so growth like this is not impossible. If it turns to be sustainable or even sustainable at like 90% where he is cooking right now, we have another legit star type player on the squad.

If players get healthy and he sustains close to this level a squad featuring: Brunson, Randle, DDV, OG with our improved bench ABSOLUTELY can contend for a championship.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#114 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yeah I could see Donte coming back down to earth a bit but, also I think the difference between JR and Donte is that seemingly Donte won't randomly elbow someone in the playoffs and then go on a nightclub bender chasing Rihanna and showing up hungover :lol:

JR also I think was more inclined to take off the dribble shots than Donte is. When fully healthy, he'll go back to being more of a spot up guy. The Knicks just needed his creation through this stretch because our whole team is injured :lol:

Yeah Jr was a bit of a headcase :lol: . Can't forget untying player's shoelaces during FTs too lol. If JR had donte's mental fortitude I think JR would've been an all star becauase of how talented he was.

My concern with Donte is that he's been an atrocious playoff performer and that was in that spot up role that he'll go back in once we're healthy. Hopefully this time around he hits shots. I will admit Donte's play this season has been a pleasant surprise even though Im not his biggest fan of his defense. But his bad defense wasn't that notable when OG and Hartenstein were healthy so I guess we can live with it lol
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#115 » by cgf » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter

I joke about Klay because...unless DDV shows a lot more self-creation moving forward...that's the archetype for him to be a high end starter offensively. If he regress back to a league average 3pt shooter, then I fully agree we'll need to upgrade on him. But if he just keeps up the 40.6% he's averaged over the past two seasons, with his chippiness and the nova-ESP he has with Brunson, that can be a quality starter for us.

Although I'll still want us to make a move for Caruso in the summer/next season, so that we can close games with Brunson - Caruso - Anunoby - Randle - RobinHart, even if DDV keeps shooting the 42.3% he's averaged since moving into our starting lineup once the playoffs roll around :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 138

Post#116 » by KNICKS007 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter

That was JR Smiths contract yr, and you know how plays seem to have another gear when $$$ is on the line.

Donte is in his 5th season which is around the time you enter your prime. Unless he has some major injury. I see him only getting smarter and taking better shots
Guano
RealGM
And1: 42,083

Post#117 » by Guano » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Going on a bender and chasing Rihanna is excusable behavior.

And it's sad to see melo showing his Heat loyalty here. Ofc he would view a mid heat player as a better talenr than ours. Terrible evaluator and even worse person.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#118 » by KnixinSix » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:07 pm

Get OG and Randle back and DDV is going to get a ton of C&S opps. Keep hitting at 40% and skys the limit.

We have like 5 guys now that are 40 or near 40% 3 pt shooters.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#119 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:12 pm

Guano wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Going on a bender and chasing Rihanna is excusable behavior.

And it's sad to see melo showing his Heat loyalty here. Ofc he would view a mid heat player as a better talenr than ours. Terrible evaluator and even worse person.

heat loyalty wtf :lol: i thought i was a c's fan.

also your boy pat bev is getting cooked
Read on Twitter
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,540

Post#120 » by rajajackal » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter

one difference with JR tho is that on a pure talent level if he had a different mental makeup (higher BBIQ, stronger work ethic) he'd be in the conversation with 5 best SGs ever :lol:

Return to New York Knicks