ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Donte's Ceiling?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Re: What's Donte's Ceiling? 

Post#81 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:11 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Serious question... since you mentioned Grimes - do you think the internal Nova brotherhood had anything to do with Grimes poor play? Personally, I don't think so but a buddy told me that he felt as though Grimes allowed Divi and Divi's relationship with the fellas to get into his head and became jealous and was always pressing as opposed to allowing the game to come. Said he felt Grimes was a bit immature. Just curious to see how others view that

Perhaps, but if a player is that mentally soft, he’s gonna fold at some point anyway. He’s in his third year, and we couldn’t continue to nipple feed him.

Exactly... I mean it made some sense but this isn't high school

I think office politics happens everywhere. Randle and the other bigs are sort of immune because they are not competing with the Nova guys. For IQ, RJ, Grimes they all would not get the same leash that the Nova guys are going to get. The Nova guys also just have more savvy and cohesion so a bad pass from Hart to Donte, for example, is less likely to be a TO because one would already be reacting to the other. Grimes clearly had an attitude shift this year -- first he was playing within himself as RJ, Randle, and Brunson were commanding all of the shots. After the swap to the bench, Grimes basically had this "I need to take every shot" mentality which is a part of his game, but not his game. Grimes has a diverse offensive portfolio. He can drive. He can initiate contact. He can pass. Instead of staying within himself -- you could see the pressure on him to basically make a highlight on every play. At least I could see it.

If we were to get Bridges it would be interesting how Thibs navigates that group because one of OG-Randle-Center would have to sit in crunch time to play Donte-JB-Bridges.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#82 » by HEZI » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:12 pm

He can play a Kerry Kittles role on a contender but he is playing out of his mind right now so what is his ceiling? Well we will have to find out as time goes on but he’s definitely found the right situation where his talent can be maximized and his role defined and of course playing with his buddies just makes him that much more settled in and comfortable.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#83 » by 8516knicks » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:31 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Perhaps, but if a player is that mentally soft, he’s gonna fold at some point anyway. He’s in his third year, and we couldn’t continue to nipple feed him.

I think office politics happens everywhere. Randle and the other bigs are sort of immune because they are not competing with the Nova guys. For IQ, RJ, Grimes they all would not get the same leash that the Nova guys are going to get. The Nova guys also just have more savvy and cohesion so a bad pass from Hart to Donte, for example, is less likely to be a TO because one would already be reacting to the other. Grimes clearly had an attitude shift this year -- first he was playing within himself as RJ, Randle, and Brunson were commanding all of the shots. After the swap to the bench, Grimes basically had this "I need to take every shot" mentality which is a part of his game, but not his game. Grimes has a diverse offensive portfolio. He can drive. He can initiate contact. He can pass. Instead of staying within himself -- you could see the pressure on him to basically make a highlight on every play. At least I could see it.

If we were to get Bridges it would be interesting how Thibs navigates that group because one of OG-Randle-Center would have to sit in crunch time to play Donte-JB-Bridges.

Never happen. Randle, OG AND Bridges would be too rich for almost any team's blood.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,200

Post#84 » by Fat Kat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#85 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:45 pm

8516knicks wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

Never happen. Randle, OG AND Bridges would be too rich for almost any team's blood.

In theory - we could trade one of 2 FRP at the draft and have access to '25, 27 29 31 plus swaps plus the three other picks we have.
We have the assets... but obviously we may be looking to Book something a bit bigger. we could find ourselves in an emBidding war
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,291

Post#86 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:00 pm

Let’s all thank Steve Kerr and his whiny punchable face for taking Donte’s shooting to new heights. This isnt a fluke. He legit leveled up.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/the-secret-change-behind-divincenzos-best-shooting-season/1467590/?amp=1

Though he doesn't want to be boxed in as a "shooter" for his ability to do many other important skills on the court as a ballhandler, passer, rebounder and defender, DiVincenzo from his toes to his nose can be another freeze frame of what an elite shooter's form should be. And that's what he has turned into this season: An elite shooter from deep, giving the Warriors yet another option for teams to fear.

The message was clear from the start: Take my advice or don't, either way, I trust you as a shooter. After an offseason of zeroing in on his lower half, Kerr had noticed the one area of DiVincenzo's shot that could use a tiny tweak: Hand placement.

Naturally, DiVincenzo's hand would pronate inwards every once in a while. Even the smallest movement of an elbow moving out can make the biggest difference. Kerr had DiVincenzo focus on keeping his right shooting hand straight and widening his fingers a bit, allowing everything from his shoulders to his elbows to his fingers to stay straight without feeling locked up.

Using a neon green tennis ball, DiVincenzo demonstrates to me how he wants the ball to feel in his hand and coming off of it every time. The end goal is poetry in flight, with his index and middle fingers making the magic happen.

"For me, it's right around that air hole -- right in the center of the ball," DiVincenzo explains. "That's where I put that first finger. For me, sometimes my hand was a little to the left of the ball. As soon as I turn that, everything is straight now. Everything kind of changes together.

"So you bring your elbow in and instead of being wedged up, you bring that hand over here and now everything is straight. And that's why every time I get on the court now I do form shooting and everything for the repetition of just feeling it, feeling it locked in."

When asked about his words of advice, Kerr first tried to deflect. He wanted the context laid out. DiVincenzo was enjoying the best season of his career when he first became a starter for the Milwaukee Bucks in 2020-21. In his third season as a pro, DiVincenzo shot what was then a career-high 37.9 percent on 3-pointers and the Bucks went on to win the championship.

But DiVincenzo watched from the sidelines. A bad ankle injury in the first round of the playoffs ended his season short and kept him out for the first 34 games of the season. He shot a lowly 28.4 percent from three in 17 games with the Bucks last season, and 36.8 percent from long range in 25 games with the Kings after being traded and feeling closer to himself health-wise.

The Warriors knew DiVincenzo had it in him. Kerr doesn't want credit. What worked for him, though, has worked wonders for DiVincenzo.

"I rarely say anything to our players about their shot, but it's something that really helped me in my career as a shooter," Kerr said to NBC Sports Bay Area. "It was just widening out the fingers on the ball, changing the ball placement on the ball so the ball is coming off more on the two middle fingers.

"Now you widen the handle of it, now you can control the ball a little bit more with these two fingers. That was just something I noticed. His hand was really narrow on the ball."

Immediately after DiVincenzo and Kerr's conversation, DiVincenzo hit the practice court with Warriors development coach Kris Weems. The two weren't moving around the court or anything. The point was to make the feeling of the ball coming off DiVincenzo's first two fingers with a wider grip as natural as possible.

Months later, he admits it was difficult at first. Once he started connecting, DiVincenzo noticed right away that the feeling was the same as when everything was going right in the past. Only this time, he could repeat the action over and over again from drills to practice and then games.

Freedom was the hope. So was the result.

"I wanted him to play free and just get back to being himself," Kerr said. "That's what's happened. It's just a very minor, easy little technical fix."

Playing 72 games in his first season as a Warrior, DiVincenzo made 150 3-pointers this season, the best of his five-year career. He shot 39.7 percent behind the 3-point line on 5.3 attempts per game, both being career highs. In his final three games of the regular season, DiVincenzo rolled into the playoffs going 10 of 19 on 3-pointers, good for 52.6 percent.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 8,046

Post#87 » by ITGM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:58 am

RHODEY wrote:What's Donte's Ceiling?]

A Splash Brother from another mother.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,645

Post#88 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 pm

We can beat anybody if Donte continues at this level but I dont think it's sustainable. Looks more to me like a player just having a hot streak.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,200

Post#89 » by Fat Kat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,876

Post#90 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really think he can be a star. We have a strong team. Wow.
vincccent
Junior
And1: 192

Post#91 » by vincccent » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:17 am

Donte > MJ. I have always said it.
German Knicks lover.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#92 » by cgf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:59 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Huh? I think you may need to rewatch some of Grimes games because his problem wasn't forcing too much, it was passing up too many good looks.

And Donte doesn't typically close for us when we're healthy, so I'm not sure why OG or Randle would need to start sitting for him in crunch time if we brought Bridges in :-/
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,763

Post#93 » by cgf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:02 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:We can beat anybody if Donte continues at this level but I dont think it's sustainable. Looks more to me like a player just having a hot streak.

I think it's a mix of him improving, him being in a perfect situation, and him being unsustainably hot, but the longer he keeps it up, the more sustainable it starts to look :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Senior
And1: 382

Post#94 » by 2020 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:07 pm

He has star potential
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,291

Post#95 » by TrueWarrior » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm

After the way Donte has played since Julius and OG went down, it’s hard to doubt him anymore if you were before. You could argue he was mainly living off the attention Jalen, Julius, and IQ/RJ/OG got, but not now.

Donte has stepped up as a 2nd option (even 1st option in the game against Dallas without Jalen) with defenses keying in on him more than they ever have before, and he has not only scored a lot but done so efficiently. It hasn’t even looked too difficult for him, like he can score 20+ ppg if he wanted no problem.

You’d think Donte has earned more of Thibs’ trust after his breakout. Thibs went from barely playing him 20 mpg to 40 mpg after the injuries, so when everyone is healthy he should settle around 30-32 with more closing opportunities. All the advanced stats show him as one of our top 5 players. Just got to hope his hammy isn’t a recurring issue now.
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#96 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 pm

cgf wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

Huh? I think you may need to rewatch some of Grimes games because his problem wasn't forcing too much, it was passing up too many good looks.

And Donte doesn't typically close for us when we're healthy, so I'm not sure why OG or Randle would need to start sitting for him in crunch time if we brought Bridges in :-/

After he was moved to the bench it looked to me like he was forcing 3's. There were lanes he would usually take and instead of getting inside he was taking these contested looks.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe it's just me, but that was the optics from where I sat.

For now I am not going to worry about Bridges because he is going to be a long shot for us.
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,809

Post#97 » by RHODEY » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:26 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

2 guys in the top 5...and we still have Brunson and Burks...nice.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,925

Post#98 » by KnixinSix » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:21 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is why Randle getting all that attention in the post becomes critical. If Randle is back healthy, these guys are going to get a ton more open C&S looks
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,809

Post#99 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:55 am

KnixinSix wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is why Randle getting all that attention in the post becomes critical. If Randle is back healthy, these guys are going to get a ton more open C&S looks
Id argue that Mitch and his league leading Offensive rebounding is just as critical.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,925

Post#100 » by KnixinSix » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:12 am

RHODEY wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
RHODEY wrote:2 guys in the top 5...and we still have Brunson and Burks...nice.

Id argue that Mitch and his league leading Offensive rebounding is just as critical.

Mitch is somewhat mitigated by IHarts emergence. Not totally mind you and he is a better offensive rebounder but I Hart has been nothing short of dominant in numerous areas including rebounding.

On the other hand no one draws the attention in the low post like Randle does. Which leaves guys wide open on the perimeter.

Bootomline, while Precious has been solid, the delta between Precious and Randle is much greater than the delta between IHart and Mitch.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6

Return to New York Knicks