ImageImageImageImageImage

The Knicks Injury Report thread.

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,310

Re: The Knicks Injury Report thread. 

Post#321 » by XTC » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am

OG is probably my fav Raptor ever, but he's so brittle. Part of the reason is the way he plays. He's going 100% every possesion on offense and defense. It wears the body down big time. His defensive play style combined with his bully ball (honestly he should cut this part of his game out) is taxing on his body, he's already had an ACL surgery when he was in college. I hope for his sake he gets healthy, he's too good to be sidelined this often.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,570

Post#322 » by ctorres » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 am

OG has always been injury prone. He was still the best player in the trade. Good thing we got Achiuwa in the deal too.

Barrett and Quickley rarely get hurt. Availability is an underrated quality
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,310

Post#323 » by XTC » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

ctorres wrote:OG has always been injury prone. He was still the best player in the trade. Good thing we got Achiuwa in the deal too.

Barrett and Quickley rarely get hurt. Availability is an underrated quality

OG is a gem. I still remember the start of the 2021/2022 season OG came out averaging 20/6/3 with DPOY level defense, for him to only get injured. He came back and averaged 18/6/2 to only get injured again and never look the same offensively the rest of the season.

The most frustrating part with OG is he finally looks like he's putting it together, but then he gets injured and he doesn't look the same because he comes back too early. His play style is extremely taxing, if there's a player who needs to be load managed it's OG.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,434

Post#324 » by stuporman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:59 am

This submission belongs here...

I've been watching all of the Knicks media and twitter freak out about OG's setback, about Randle's quiet delay and to a lesser extent Mitch. I have a perspective I think is getting ignored and I will preface it with this is all just my speculation, yet I suspect there's some truth to it. So please take a moment to consider this when we hear very little over the next couple of weeks about them.

There are two weeks between the Sacramento game and the home game against OKC the last day of March with only 2 games against stiff competition in that duration and 4 games against weaker foes. The team already had secured a relatively successful west coast trip by winning the first two so at worst they could go 2-2 on it.

I think after OG's elbow inflamed up, they looked at the schedule and decided this is the perfect time to sit him for a couple of weeks and let it heal up even further. They also probably have the same idea about Randle, another two weeks to heal and get stronger means he's less likely to reinjure it, plus less games to chance that possibility.

This leaves two weeks and 9 games remaining for these two to get back in game shape and build back any lost chemistry but to be fair, I think OG's brief return shows there's little chance they need much chemistry building. Maybe Mitch needs a bit more because he's been out longer and his role has changed some in iHart's rise.

The Knicks won that first stiff test against the Warriors and now have secured at least a 3-1 west coast trip. Then they have 4 games against teams with losing records, which they could very well go 3-1 during even with the missing players. A 6-2 record in the absence of those guys while giving them time to heal even more would be so helpful for them.

A 44-29 record leading into the last 9 games with possibly all 3 of those guys back healthy and ready to roll is not a terrible position to be in. I really do think the FO and Thibs saw this path forward, so took it. It will drive everyone crazy because they probably won't tell fans and media this is what's going on, but I feel confident this is their thinking.

Again, this is just my speculation yet I suspect it's not too farfetched of a theory. Take a deep breath every time you hear someone freaking out about them missing games...especially if it's your own self. The Knicks organization will probably want to err on the side of caution and if they can allow these guys to heal as much as possible before the playoffs, they will take that opportunity.

Do with this theory what you will...
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,196

Post#325 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:41 am

stuporman wrote:This submission belongs here...

I've been watching all of the Knicks media and twitter freak out about OG's setback, about Randle's quiet delay and to a lesser extent Mitch. I have a perspective I think is getting ignored and I will preface it with this is all just my speculation, yet I suspect there's some truth to it. So please take a moment to consider this when we hear very little over the next couple of weeks about them.

There are two weeks between the Sacramento game and the home game against OKC the last day of March with only 2 games against stiff competition in that duration and 4 games against weaker foes. The team already had secured a relatively successful west coast trip by winning the first two so at worst they could go 2-2 on it.

I think after OG's elbow inflamed up, they looked at the schedule and decided this is the perfect time to sit him for a couple of weeks and let it heal up even further. They also probably have the same idea about Randle, another two weeks to heal and get stronger means he's less likely to reinjure it, plus less games to chance that possibility.

This leaves two weeks and 8 games remaining for these two to get back in game shape and build back any lost chemistry but to be fair, I think OG's brief return shows there's little chance theey need much chemistry building. Maybe Mitch needs a bit more because he's been out longer and his role has changed some in iHart's rise.

The Knicks won that first stiff test against the Warriors and now have secured at least a 3-1 west coast trip. Then they have 4 games against teams with losing records, which they could very well go 3-1 during even with the missing players. A 6-2 record in the absence of those guys while giving them time to heal even more would be so helpful for them.

A 46-29 record leading into the last 8 games with possibly all 3 of those guys back healthy and ready to roll is not a terrible position to be in. I really do think the FO and Thibs saw this path forward, so took it. It will drive everyone crazy because they probably won't tell fans and media this is what's going on, but I feel confident this is their thinking.

Again, this is just my speculation yet I suspect it's not too farfetched of a theory. Take a deep breath every time you hear someone freaking out about them missing games...especially if it's your own self. The Knicks organization will probably want to err on the side of caution and if they can allow these guys to heal as much as possible before the playoffs, they will take that opportunity.

Maybe you have some info I don't because I haven't been up to date the last 24 hours but I suspect that OG will be back sooner than later since it appears that he simply suffered a contusion at the incision site. Now maybe that can cause an infection, etc., but in the normal course of things, I think that he probably just needs to ice it down and take some NSIADS for it. Having said that, I have no problem giving him the time OG and "medical" think he needs to be be relatively pain free.
Free Palestine
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,651

Post#326 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:15 am

I'm a little more pessimistic at this point---at least in the case of Julius. I think Mitch and OG are going to be fine and close to full strength at the playoffs but with JR I'm not sure anymore. I kept myself positive about him the entire time but the lack of news at this point is somewhat concerning IMO.

I just feel that at this point there should be some updates with some sort of schedule since the season is winding down really.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#327 » by stuporman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:26 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
stuporman wrote:This submission belongs here...

This leaves two weeks and 8 games remaining for these two to get back in game shape and build back any lost chemistry but to be fair, I think OG's brief return shows there's little chance theey need much chemistry building. Maybe Mitch needs a bit more because he's been out longer and his role has changed some in iHart's rise.

A 46-29 record leading into the last 8 games with possibly all 3 of those guys back healthy and ready to roll is not a terrible position to be in. I really do think the FO and Thibs saw this path forward, so took it. It will drive everyone crazy because they probably won't tell fans and media this is what's going on, but I feel confident this is their thinking.

Maybe you have some info I don't because I haven't been up to date the last 24 hours but I suspect that OG will be back sooner than later since it appears that he simply suffered a contusion at the incision site. Now maybe that can cause an infection, etc., but in the normal course of things, I think that he probably just needs to ice it down and take some NSIADS for it. Having said that, I have no problem giving him the time OG and "medical" thinks he needs to be be relatively pain free.

I said what it is, speculation, I don't have any specific info, just what's publicly known. He might be back sooner than later, sure, but I also recognize that there is a forgiving stretch in the schedule which would allow the Knicks to not rush any of them back.

There was more reporting that he felt better already but that doesn't preclude the team from being cautious knowing how important these guys are to their playoff success more than a few regular season games. Might be that OG is just game to game until the playoffs, don't know.

After Denver there are 4 games in a row the Knicks don't really need them to go 3-1 and even with a loss to the Nugs after the Knicks started the trip 3-0 that's 6-2 over the last 8 game stretch right before the final 9. The Magic are charging and Cavs are slipping, kinda squeezing the Knicks in that 4th seed.

They could finish at seed 3 or at 5 but unless they go nearly double digit streaking with wins or losses there's starting to be a ceiling and floor created from the math on the number of remaining games. So I'm speculating from the circumstances, not the reports.
Image?
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#328 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:38 am

But let me add something regardless---there are some positives about this whole situation:

1. Isaiah Hartenstein: Remember he was playing 16 minutes in the beginning of the season and there was chatter among german commentators that he was generally not happy with his role and how he was being utilized by Thibs. Mitch's injury has been a major game changer for Hartenstein. He has grown as a player and can be legitimately be viewed as a top Center in this league. If it wasn't for Mitch's injury I think there was a legitimate chance he'd have played 16minutes a game throughout the season, left us in the offseason and we'd be banging our heads witnessing him becoming the monster that he has become next season on some other team. Hopefully now he stays and we'll have the best Center duo in the league for years to come.

2. Deuce McBride: He was barely getting any minutes at all. Due to the injuries he has now become a truly good backup player and a player we can look forward to for further development.

3. Donte DiVincenzo: He has become really good due to increase in confidence, opportunity and playing time. He has been a magical signing for us and has really been able to capitalize and grow as a player.

4. Precious Achiuwa: Viewed by many as a throw in and by Raptors fans as a fringe rotation player he has quickly become a premier back-up PF, proving he can play a larger role as well. If this team remained completely healthy, the likes of Isaiah and Precious would have been looked at as afterthoughts and probably been let-go in the offseason. Now it looks like we have the deepest frontcourt in the entire league featured by 3 top defensive players and an offensive juggernaut (JR) who has been playing to his strength this season.

5. Jalen Brunson: Why Jalen? Yes he has been magically good for us ever since joining us but I feel he has taken a step from all-star form to superstar form this season. He has shown the league that by himself he can carry a team to a .500+ record. He has truly been a magician for us and is now receiving the props that he has been deserving. He has embraced the additional responsibility and took his game to even a higher level.

I have doubts about the upcoming playoffs to be honest. With the season winding down and no clear timetable for JR and Mitch to return and OG battling some flare-ups it is difficult to remain 100% positive about this year's playoffs. However I think in the longterm, the team will have profited from all these injuries. There is no substiture really for playing time, opportunities and confidence. Our players gained that big time this season.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#329 » by stuporman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:48 pm

Now the noise coming out of the Knicks media is that the org is going to take a cautious approach with OG...hm, it seems like someone with no sources but a keen observational eye of the circumstances and a pipe smoldering on the desk said the very same thing late last night.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, it makes complete sense they would take this approach, why rush him back? OG and Randle both are more important healthy in the playoffs instead of over the next handful of games so let them heal and ramp up the final couple weeks seems like a reasonable route.

We shouldn't let the hyperventilating media over them not playing right now distract us from the obvious fact the Knicks need them ready and rolling for the playoffs. Sure, as Knicks fans we want to see the team healthy and surging to possibly get the 3rd seed but let's not lose eight of the big picture.

A healthy playoff roster is what will show the FO the real ceiling of this group going forward and what they will need to address to build a title contender. A healthy Knicks team in the playoffs with reveal what the weaknesses are so they know how the Knicks measure up to other playoff teams.
Image?
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,490

Post#330 » by Grinditout » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm

Rumors of Mitch returning near the end of this month. It's all coming together.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,311

Post#331 » by sol537 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:18 pm

stuporman wrote:Now the noise coming out of the Knicks media is that the org is going to take a cautious approach with OG...hm, it seems like someone with no sources but a keen observational eye of the circumstances and a pipe smoldering on the desk said the very same thing late last night.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, it makes complete sense they would take this approach, why rush him back? OG and Randle both are more important healthy in the playoffs instead of over the next handful of games so let them heal and ramp up the final couple weeks seems like a reasonable route.

We shouldn't let the hyperventilating media over them not playing right now distract us from the obvious fact the Knicks need them ready and rolling for the playoffs. Sure, as Knicks fans we want to see the team healthy and surging to possibly get the 3rd seed but let's not lose eight of the big picture.

A healthy playoff roster is what will show the FO the real ceiling of this group going forward and what they will need to address to build a title contender. A healthy Knicks team in the playoffs with reveal what the weaknesses are so they know how the Knicks measure up to other playoff teams.

Well said. 100% agreed. Would love it if all three could play at least 7-8 games together to end the season as a "ramp up". At minimum... 5 games.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,242

Post#332 » by Kampuchea » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=ZScbCOS-e1RwvSq7ABkKLQ
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#333 » by HopelessKnick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:10 pm

Grinditout wrote:Rumors of Mitch returning near the end of this month. It's all coming together.

At the same time still no word on JR?
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#334 » by RHODEY » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:12 pm

dupe delete
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,781

Post#335 » by RHODEY » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 pm

RHODEY wrote:Yeah Buddy!

Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,849

Post#336 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:32 pm

Mitch coming back to guard Jokic tonight?

But nah I would guess Mitch returns maybe against the Pistons, Raptors the latest.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 29,791

Post#337 » by HerSports85 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

I think this is a good move. Mitch will feast
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
stuporman
RealGM

Post#338 » by stuporman » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:00 pm

I've seen a little criticism of Mitch about him wanting the bench role....really? Is that what we gonna do now? He surely understands the circumstances and made the comments to short circuit any potential controversy about who starts. This seems like a good thing, no?

He's good friends with iHart, he sees how well his friend has been playing and how well the Knicks have been playing, he knows it will take a little while for him to get into game shape and to build the chemistry. To me, it seems like a mature, reasonable position to take and voice publicly.

I think some just have their opinion about him so will squeeze everything into that opinion because of the bias instead of just view it without that slant on it. Instead of be grateful the Knicks have two starter quality centers that do so much to help the Knicks win they rather stir up something from nothing.
Image?
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#339 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:02 pm

HerSports85 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think this is a good move. Mitch will feast

Its smart too even if you want Mitch to start, gives him time to get his conditioning ready and go against the bench bigs which should be easier for him. He can always be made the starter eventually or against the largest big men.

Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#340 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm

Mitch and iHart were basically playing 24-30mpg a piece give or take, depending on who was playing better that night anyways. Most nights it was Mitch and he got his 30mpg, but there were nights in his game log where he played 20, 24, 27, 22, etc.

So its not like iHart is gonna be playing 35mpg and Mitch 13mpg. No big issue.

Return to New York Knicks