ImageImageImageImageImage

Sprewell vs PJ breakdown

Moderators: HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK

dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,647

Re: Sprewell vs PJ breakdown 

Post#41 » by dc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Stannis wrote:Yeah, but point still stands. Knicks accepted him when most of the league would not. And it was one of the better investments the Knicks made.

I'm not going to defend his off-court antics and wrongdoings. But he was solid for the Knicks. And I think JVG and former players have mostly good things to say about his time with the Knicks.

The Knicks were absolutely winners from the Sprewell ordeal. They gave up a bunch of nothing (Starks/Mills/Cummings LOL) to get him and reached the Finals with him, beating rivals who were supposedly interested in him but never were.

My theory is teams like Miami/Indy were tossing out rumors of offering more valuable pieces, hoping that would force a rival team into offering more of the core to get him. It never happened. I don't think those other teams were really ever offering much of anything, probably because they didn't really want him at all.

Definitely worked out for the Knicks for at least a few years, before he kind of wore out his welcome (JVG abruptly resigning probably contributed to this).
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,751

Post#42 » by nedleeds » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:54 pm

Stannis wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
moocow007 wrote:asking for it.

Were the people he ran off the road in '98 after raging asking for it?
How about the 4 pit bulls running around his yard, one of whom got put down after biting his daughters ear off?

He's proven to be a deadbeat irresponsible piece of **** who would likely have been thrown in jail for 6 months instead of house arrest if not for GSWs lawyers and having (at the time) money.

He's proven to be a totally irresponsible idiot who squandered the money he made

"In Milwaukee he bought a home for $1,150,000 in 2006, then lost to the bank in foreclosure, and most recently sold in 2011 for $450,000. Sprewell also lost his boat to foreclosure, and owes over $650,000 on that vessel, where at least, if he made noise, nobody but yacht clubbers would be inconvenienced."

Now he's Dolan's lap dog who comes out to get a few claps based on the 1999 Finals run, without which he'd be washing Antoine Walkers car.

Yeah, but point still stands. Knicks accepted him when most of the league would not. And it was one of the better investments the Knicks made.

I'm not going to defend his off-court antics and wrongdoings. But he was solid for the Knicks. And I think JVG and former players have mostly good things to say about his time with the Knicks.

If choking our coach would have gotten us a championship Idgaf really. But the guy is a turd. He's completely bankrupt, pissed away $100 million, has 4 kids out of wedlock, and now works for MSG in 'relations' which is code for pretend to be friends with Dolan and sit at the games.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
dc
Head Coach

Post#43 » by dc » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:26 am

nedleeds wrote:If choking our coach would have gotten us a championship Idgaf really. But the guy is a turd. He's completely bankrupt, pissed away $100 million, has 4 kids out of wedlock, and now works for MSG in 'relations' which is code for pretend to be friends with Dolan and sit at the games.

Yeah, and if there's thing that should definitely be mentioned when reflecting on this incident and about how Sprewell's supporters always say he's "misunderstood" by the public and portrayed "unfairly" by the media, it's this: After all this time, Sprewell has never once apologized for his actions. Not publicly and probably not to the guy he choked (that we know).

In fact, to this day he still claims himself to be the victim in this entire ordeal. According to him, it's the NBA and the media that owe HIM an apology along with tens of millions of dollars. He's never apologized or even admitted any wrongdoing or responsibility. Imagine that.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,093

Post#44 » by Capn'O » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:45 am

The Dolan sideline stuff is particularly funny since Spree cursed out Dolan from the court after the trade. Perhaps sitting in that very seat.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/news/2003/12/24/sprewell-causes-a-stir-in-return-to-new-york/27854962007/

Sprewell -- the former University of Alabama player -- turned to James Dolan, the chairman of the team's corporate owner, Cablevision, and unleashed a stream of curses after his 3-pointer gave Minnesota a 94-89 lead with 1:14 left. He was warned by referee Dan Crawford to knock if off, but kept it up and directed his next rant at the Knicks' bench.

The tirade earned him a technical foul that allowed New York to pull to 95-92 with 30.4 seconds left, but Sam Cassell wrapped up the victory on a 3-pointer with 11.3 seconds remaining. Cassell finished with 31 points.

dc wrote:
Stannis wrote:Yeah, but point still stands. Knicks accepted him when most of the league would not. And it was one of the better investments the Knicks made.

The Knicks were absolutely winners from the Sprewell ordeal. They gave up a bunch of nothing (Starks/Mills/Cummings LOL) to get him and reached the Finals with him, beating rivals who were supposedly interested in him but never were.

My theory is teams like Miami/Indy were tossing out rumors of offering more valuable pieces, hoping that would force a rival team into offering more of the core to get him. It never happened. I don't think those other teams were really ever offering much of anything, probably because they didn't really want him at all.

Definitely worked out for the Knicks for at least a few years, before he kind of wore out his welcome (JVG abruptly resigning probably contributed to this).

We've long held that JVG likely would have fought to keep him. The swapping of a guy like Spree for a low energy guy like Van Horn signaled dark times. Dark, dark, dark times. So dark.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,751

Post#45 » by nedleeds » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:46 am

Lol. They're **** made for each other.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,968

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Capn'O wrote:The Dolan sideline stuff is particularly funny since Spree cursed out Dolan from the court after the trade. Perhaps sitting in that very seat.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/news/2003/12/24/sprewell-causes-a-stir-in-return-to-new-york/27854962007/

Sprewell -- the former University of Alabama player -- turned to James Dolan, the chairman of the team's corporate owner, Cablevision, and unleashed a stream of curses after his 3-pointer gave Minnesota a 94-89 lead with 1:14 left. He was warned by referee Dan Crawford to knock if off, but kept it up and directed his next rant at the Knicks' bench.

The tirade earned him a technical foul that allowed New York to pull to 95-92 with 30.4 seconds left, but Sam Cassell wrapped up the victory on a 3-pointer with 11.3 seconds remaining. Cassell finished with 31 points.

dc wrote:

We've long held that JVG likely would have fought to keep him. The swapping of a guy like Spree for a low energy guy like Van Horn signaled dark times. Dark, dark, dark times. So dark.

I totally forgot that Keith played for the Knicks. My condolences, and congratulations for making it through those days.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
dc
Head Coach

Post#47 » by dc » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I totally forgot that Keith played for the Knicks. My condolences, and congratulations for making it through those days.

Hell, I forgot Keith and Tim Thomas were swapped in a trade on draft day. Looking back at it, that draft was so trash outside of Duncan/TMac.

My biggest memory of KVH was him "coming out of retirement" simply to sign a contract to make the salaries match up in the Jason Kidd trade back to Dallas, LOL. That was so absurd.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,968

Post#48 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:24 pm

dc wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I totally forgot that Keith played for the Knicks. My condolences, and congratulations for making it through those days.

Hell, I forgot Keith and Tim Thomas were swapped in a trade on draft day. Looking back at it, that draft was so trash outside of Duncan/TMac.

My biggest memory of KVH was him "coming out of retirement" simply to sign a contract to make the salaries match up in the Jason Kidd trade back to Dallas, LOL. That was so absurd.

Don't get me started. I'm trying to refrain from trauma dumping on here :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks