ImageImageImageImageImage

pg - did everyone die?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,186

Re: pg - did everyone die? 

Post#101 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:59 pm

JayTWill wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Shoulda traded for Kabayan instead. The problem with the Knicks offense without Brunson (and Randle) is no one really adapt and consistently creating shots for themselves to keep defenses honest. Result is a **** show for everyone else trying to score. Pretty sure I've said this before an multiple occasions. But yep, let's get more shooters and "Thibs guys". There's a reason why teams pay shot creators more.

You still believe Jordan Clarkson was the solution to the team's problems? You are not worried about a guy that is currently putting up the worst shooting numbers of his career possibly being ineffective here? We saw the decline of guys like Kemba, Rose and Fournier. We may be watching the same thing with Burks right now and I have some concerns with Bogy at his age too. As a 31 year small scoring guard Jordan Clarkson losing a step could mean his end is near also.

THE solution? No. THE solution would be a superstar shot creator or at least an All-Star shot creator. Nor would the Knicks have the assets to land a "THE solution" type. They had a chance maybe but they apparently didn't want to give up Grimes for him last season (along with more all their draft assets). But that doesn't mean adding a guy off the bench that can create shots wasn't a good idea. It's not all or nothing (perfect player or bust). It's about getting guys that can fill roles and needs. As far as Clarkson one the decline cause his shooting numbers are bad? Clarkson looks like he's had for years. What is happening is that he's being pushed to take on more responsibility that he should and that he wouldn't if he was on this team. Things don't happen in a vacuum so looking at numbers and carrying over to different situations is dubious. I mean honestly if it was that easy (just look at what he's doing now and assume that he'll keep doing it) then every trade would be a lot better than it would be right? Just look at Precious Achiuwa. Wrong role/situation in Toronto, right role/situation in NY. What the Knicks needed was someone that can at least create shots in some volume to put pressure on the Pels so that the other aspects of their game could potentially help them win it. And Clarkson actually shoots better in the playoffs (look at his numbers with the in the last several playoffs he's been in where he's actually gotten minutes) where I'm assuming he's more focused and gets up for the competition/challenge. As a point of reference, a guy like John Starks, Lou Williams and JR Smith were never ever efficient, but their presence changed the dynamic of their teams on the offensive end by bringing energy and attacking the basket. That's what they needed. Someone that can attack and do so with some energy and force off the bench to keep opposing defenses working. Clarkson is a perennial 6MOY type talent. A microwave shot creator.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,505

Post#102 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Reign23 wrote:btw Burks is averaging 19.1 FGA per 36 minutes in the 7 games with us while shooting 31.4%.
absolutely freaking ridiculous.

Nice

your not getting away with Burks playing like this that easily...

Imagine dying on the Burks hill.
Thank you, Rick Brunson.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,172

Post#103 » by aggo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:31 pm

we need to break up burks and bojan

for the same reason why we needed to break up randle and rj

starting 5

brunson
ddv
bojan
precious
ihart
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,242

Post#104 » by Kampuchea » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:39 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Reign23 wrote:btw Burks is averaging 19.1 FGA per 36 minutes in the 7 games with us while shooting 31.4%.

Nice

With the injuries we don’t have the right pieces around Burks to help him reach his potential. For next season we need to get some better screeners in here for Burks to let him go to work. We better fix this roster around Burks or we risk losing him in FA and having to trade for him again.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,388

Post#105 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Capn'O wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Before the break. They've come out of the break beating the Wolves on the road and then convincingly beating the Sixers and crushing the Hornets.

Sixers and hornets are really bad tho.. wake me up when they beat teams like the Celtics, Denver, etc lol

Wake up...

But they've also been letting bad teams hang around all year. Now they're blowing them out.

well it's only been 3 games since the all star break. so not sure im ready to buy into them when we have a whole sample size of all season of them struggling. also not ready to buy into doc rivers who's been making excuses already.

peep what dame said as well. this doesnt sound good
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,513

Post#106 » by Capn'O » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Sixers and hornets are really bad tho.. wake me up when they beat teams like the Celtics, Denver, etc lol

Wake up...

But they've also been letting bad teams hang around all year. Now they're blowing them out.

well it's only been 3 games since the all star break. so not sure im ready to buy into them when we have a whole sample size of all season of them struggling. also not ready to buy into doc rivers who's been making excuses already.

Read on Twitter

It's a bit out of context but still yikes. His play has been among the biggest reasons they're not and probably at the top of that list.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,154

Post#107 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Buttah304 wrote:Just had my second son and on both evenings the Knicks lost. The pain and suffering of Knick Ls flows from one generation to the next :lol:

congratulations!
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#108 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:00 pm

sol537 wrote:OG, Randle, and Mitch will all come back in March.

We'll go on a mini run and grab the 6th seed or better.

We'll face and defeat MIL in the 1st round.

We'll face and defeat CLE in the 2nd round.

We'll face and defeat BOS in the ECF.

We'll face and defeat DEN in the NBA Finals.

We'll face and embrace each other at the NYK championship parade.

this the energy i'm trying to embrace.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#109 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Attaboi!

That said, the Sleeping Giant that is Milwaukie finally looks to be heating up. They might take the 2 seed.

dame is awake.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#110 » by JayTWill » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:02 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Shoulda traded for Kabayan instead. The problem with the Knicks offense without Brunson (and Randle) is no one really adapt and consistently creating shots for themselves to keep defenses honest. Result is a **** show for everyone else trying to score. Pretty sure I've said this before an multiple occasions. But yep, let's get more shooters and "Thibs guys". There's a reason why teams pay shot creators more.

You still believe Jordan Clarkson was the solution to the team's problems? You are not worried about a guy that is currently putting up the worst shooting numbers of his career possibly being ineffective here? We saw the decline of guys like Kemba, Rose and Fournier. We may be watching the same thing with Burks right now and I have some concerns with Bogy at his age too. As a 31 year small scoring guard Jordan Clarkson losing a step could mean his end is near also.

THE solution? No. THE solution would be a superstar shot creator or at least an All-Star shot creator. Nor would the Knicks have the assets to land a "THE solution" type. They had a chance maybe but they apparently didn't want to give up Grimes for him last season (along with more all their draft assets). But that doesn't mean adding a guy off the bench that can create shots wasn't a good idea. It's not all or nothing (perfect player or bust). It's about getting guys that can fill roles and needs. As far as Clarkson one the decline cause his shooting numbers are bad? Clarkson looks like he's had for years. What is happening is that he's being pushed to take on more responsibility that he should and that he wouldn't if he was on this team. Things don't happen in a vacuum so looking at numbers and carrying over to different situations is dubious. I mean honestly if it was that easy (just look at what he's doing now and assume that he'll keep doing it) then every trade would be a lot better than it would be right? Just look at Precious Achiuwa. Wrong role/situation in Toronto, right role/situation in NY. What the Knicks needed was someone that can at least create shots in some volume to put pressure on the Pels so that the other aspects of their game could potentially help them win it. And Clarkson actually shoots better in the playoffs (look at his numbers with the in the last several playoffs he's been in where he's actually gotten minutes) where I'm assuming he's more focused and gets up for the competition/challenge. As a point of reference, a guy like John Starks, Lou Williams and JR Smith were never ever efficient, but their presence changed the dynamic of their teams on the offensive end by bringing energy and attacking the basket. That's what they needed. Someone that can attack and do so with some energy and force off the bench to keep opposing defenses working. Clarkson is a perennial 6MOY type talent. A microwave shot creator.

The Jazz board is pretty slow but they do have a recent thread on the possible decline of Clarkson if you want to check it.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2360083
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 841

Post#111 » by KOA » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:

Clarkson? Wow, we’ve really sunk the bottom of the barrel.

How is Clarkson any better than Burks? He can’t shoot, he can’t score efficiently, he’s not an playmaker (not a good assist/turnover ratio) and he can’t defend.

The better play would have been a trade with Chicago for Caruso, Drummond, and Craig. Would have cost more than what we gave up but we at least would maintain our defensive identity.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,388

Post#112 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:08 pm

Capn'O wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Wake up...

Read on Twitter

It's a bit out of context but still yikes. His play has been among the biggest reasons they're not and probably at the top of that list.

yeah he hasn't looked that great. can still get 30 on any night though. i guess we will have to see how this plays out. it does seem like doc rivers has them playing defense (small sample size tho) so they are trending in the right direction for now at least
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,598

Post#113 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Nice

With the injuries we don’t have the right pieces around Burks to help him reach his potential. For next season we need to get some better screeners in here for Burks to let him go to work. We better fix this roster around Burks or we risk losing him in FA and having to trade for him again.

I agree wholeheartedly.

We can't afford to lose him a second time.
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#114 » by JayTWill » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 pm

seren wrote:Obviously we lost this game even before it started with all the injuries. The real question is whether we have been having all these injuries because of Thibs. His strategy of playing starters heavy minutes against other teams’ backups might just be the reason why so many of the starters are injured at the same time. Thibs is good at winning games with this strategy but is losing the season as a result. I think we need a new coach next year who can utilize the roster more efficiently if we want to be a contender

Yeah, Bob Myers gave Thibs a backhanded compliment the other day on tv calling him the best "regular season" coach since he coaches every game like it is the post-season. A lot of his decisions seem to be short-sighted. He was great for developing a culture of hard work and effort but that can only take you so far.

Personally I feel like he is living off of his defensive reputation from when he popularized "ICE" defense 15-20 years ago but I don't think there is anything special about his schemes on either ends of the court at this point in time that make him irreplaceable. He has not evolved as a coach. He does maximize effort and energy which shows on the defensive end and on the glass but offensively he has just went from Derrick Rose carrying him to Jalen Brunson carrying him. For a guy that supposedly gives all of his time to basketball I would hope for more development of him as a coach but I don't see it. He is who he is.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,429

Post#115 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

:beer: RIP mags
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#116 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

let me smoke my **** in peace.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,736

Post#117 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:43 pm

seren wrote:Obviously we lost this game even before it started with all the injuries. The real question is whether we have been having all these injuries because of Thibs. His strategy of playing starters heavy minutes against other teams’ backups might just be the reason why so many of the starters are injured at the same time. Thibs is good at winning games with this strategy but is losing the season as a result. I think we need a new coach next year who can utilize the roster more efficiently if we want to be a contender

It's because of Tom, this has happened with every single team he's coached where he just runs players into the ground and everyone acts confused and dumbfounded that playing every game like it's the conference finals could have negative effects. Anyone arguing to the contrary is just being delusional at this point.

This is from 2018

Take, for example, the Wolves victory over the Bulls on Saturday night, when the starters stayed in a game that was hovering around a 20-point advantage for the Wolves. They didn’t head to the bench until just over a minute remained in the game.

During the 2014 season, again with Chicago, it became apparent during the playoffs that Joakim Noah seemed to be suffering from soreness in his knee. Although this wasn’t a significant tear or major injury like the other players have experienced, Thibodeau admitted Noah had been suffering from soreness in his leg for the latter part of the season.

This came in a season where Noah started a career-high 80 regular season appearances, and averaged 35.3 minutes per game.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/02/26/does-timberwolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-have-an-injury-problem/
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#118 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:53 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

It's because of Tom, this has happened with every single team he's coached where he just runs players into the ground and everyone acts confused and dumbfounded that playing every game like it's the conference finals could have negative effects. Anyone arguing to the contrary is just being delusional at this point.

This is from 2018

Take, for example, the Wolves victory over the Bulls on Saturday night, when the starters stayed in a game that was hovering around a 20-point advantage for the Wolves. They didn’t head to the bench until just over a minute remained in the game.

During the 2014 season, again with Chicago, it became apparent during the playoffs that Joakim Noah seemed to be suffering from soreness in his knee. Although this wasn’t a significant tear or major injury like the other players have experienced, Thibodeau admitted Noah had been suffering from soreness in his leg for the latter part of the season.

This came in a season where Noah started a career-high 80 regular season appearances, and averaged 35.3 minutes per game.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/02/26/does-timberwolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-have-an-injury-problem/

yeah. he needs to stop doing that. hate seeing the starters in the game late with big leads. i get that he's trying to teach finishing the job. but the risk doesn't outweigh the reward after a certain point.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,736

Post#119 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

This is from 2018

yeah. he needs to stop doing that. hate seeing the starters in the game late with big leads. i get that he's trying to teach finishing the job. but the risk doesn't outweigh the reward after a certain point.

He'll never stop, that's exactly how Randle got hurt, we were up 17 with 4:30 left. RJ got hurt a few years ago because he left him in as well, he never learned his lesson from Rose.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,540

Post#120 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:15 pm

JayTWill wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:

The Jazz board is pretty slow but they do have a recent thread on the possible decline of Clarkson if you want to check it.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2360083

To their defense, it's hard for polygamists to participate on a social media forum consistently when they're juggling like 4 sister wives.

Hiyoooooooooo
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to New York Knicks