ImageImageImageImageImage

pg - did everyone die?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,531

Re: pg - did everyone die? 

Post#121 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:17 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
seren wrote:Obviously we lost this game even before it started with all the injuries. The real question is whether we have been having all these injuries because of Thibs. His strategy of playing starters heavy minutes against other teams’ backups might just be the reason why so many of the starters are injured at the same time. Thibs is good at winning games with this strategy but is losing the season as a result. I think we need a new coach next year who can utilize the roster more efficiently if we want to be a contender

It's because of Tom, this has happened with every single team he's coached where he just runs players into the ground and everyone acts confused and dumbfounded that playing every game like it's the conference finals could have negative effects. Anyone arguing to the contrary is just being delusional at this point.

This is from 2018

Take, for example, the Wolves victory over the Bulls on Saturday night, when the starters stayed in a game that was hovering around a 20-point advantage for the Wolves. They didn’t head to the bench until just over a minute remained in the game.

During the 2014 season, again with Chicago, it became apparent during the playoffs that Joakim Noah seemed to be suffering from soreness in his knee. Although this wasn’t a significant tear or major injury like the other players have experienced, Thibodeau admitted Noah had been suffering from soreness in his leg for the latter part of the season.

This came in a season where Noah started a career-high 80 regular season appearances, and averaged 35.3 minutes per game.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/02/26/does-timberwolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-have-an-injury-problem/

yeah. he needs to stop doing that. hate seeing the starters in the game late with big leads. i get that he's trying to teach finishing the job. but the risk doesn't outweigh the reward after a certain point.

When the team is at full health, the 2nd unit will be Burks, Deuce, Josh, Boyan, and Precious.

He has to trust that group to hold the line.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,153

Post#122 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:24 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

It's because of Tom, this has happened with every single team he's coached where he just runs players into the ground and everyone acts confused and dumbfounded that playing every game like it's the conference finals could have negative effects. Anyone arguing to the contrary is just being delusional at this point.

This is from 2018

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2018/02/26/does-timberwolves-coach-tom-thibodeau-have-an-injury-problem/

yeah. he needs to stop doing that. hate seeing the starters in the game late with big leads. i get that he's trying to teach finishing the job. but the risk doesn't outweigh the reward after a certain point.

He'll never stop, that's exactly how Randle got hurt, we were up 17 with 4:30 left. RJ got hurt a few years ago because he left him in as well, he never learned his lesson from Rose.

4:30 with 17 legit might not be time to pull starters in today's NBA. i don't blame thibs for that injury. it's not like randle was inexplicably in the game.

there have been times i've watched it be like 2 minutes and they still in there. not cool.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,762

Post#123 » by Buttah304 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm

He has been playing 39min per game the last 2 months and wants to be paid. But in some alternate reality where he would have been okay coming off the bench, DeRozan would have utterly destroyed 2nd units. Fully understand he doesn’t shoot the 3 (spacing concerns) but he’s a certified bucket getter and still has gravity on the floor. Can still go to the FT line 50 times over 5 games.

By no means advocating for him just trying to be clear that all of these options were flawed from the JUMP for various reasons. DD (minutes/money/spacing), Clarkson (defense/inefficiency), Burks/Bojan (can’t play them together), Brogdon (hasn’t played in a month and has no time-table for return), Tyus (barely 6 feet), Rozier (loser), Murray (4 years and 120Ms), PJ Washington and countless others.

If we’re being fair about this when factoring in our current slate of injuries - this was a house of cards and no move on the margin was fixing it.
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,510

Post#124 » by EnigmatiC » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

He'll never stop, that's exactly how Randle got hurt, we were up 17 with 4:30 left. RJ got hurt a few years ago because he left him in as well, he never learned his lesson from Rose.

4:30 with 17 legit might not be time to pull starters in today's NBA. i don't blame thibs for that injury. it's not like randle was inexplicably in the game.

there have been times i've watched it be like 2 minutes and they still in there. not cool.

Exactly. Spoelstra had all his guys in still too. That injury was not Thibs fault.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,153

Post#125 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

This is from 2018

When the team is at full health, the 2nd unit will be Burks, Deuce, Josh, Boyan, and Precious.

i think he'll be able to. and i don't think burks will be consistently in that mix.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,469

Post#126 » by Capn'O » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:When the team is at full health, the 2nd unit will be Burks, Deuce, Josh, Boyan, and Precious.

No Burks.

Yes Mitch.

I really do think Burks goes to situational unless we see a change.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,598

Post#127 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:50 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Reign23 wrote:btw Burks is averaging 19.1 FGA per 36 minutes in the 7 games with us while shooting 31.4%.
absolutely freaking ridiculous.

Nice

your not getting away with Burks playing like this that easily...

Yes I am
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#128 » by JayTWill » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Spoiler:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

This is from 2018

I posted this in Detroit/New York trade thread
JayTWill wrote:After a bit of tinkering with the bench unit Thibs seemed to settle on a rotation of:
Starters - Brunson/DDV/OG/Randle/iHart
Bench - McBride/Grimes/Hart/(OG)/Achiuwa

Here are the points scored/points allowed per 100 possessions for those 2 line ups

Starters - 128.3/111.2_______+17.1 (374 possessions)
Bench - 104.0/84.7________+19.3 (75 possessions)

The starters dominated teams offensively and the bench dominated defensively. The bench unit was not pretty but it was effective. There are other line ups that transition between the starters and the bench but I'm curious how the new additions will fit if the team is fully healthy. They definitely don't fit the defensive identity of the previous bench unit and the starting unit isn't lacking scoring.

Obviously this is a very small sample size from a period in January but the second unit was not performing as bad as I thought they were and were actually outperforming opposing teams more than the starting unit was. They struggled offensively but maybe there was something about that unit's defensive versatility that really clicked.

For reference this is how the 2nd unit you described has performed in their extremely limited time together
McBride/Burks/Hart/Bojan/Precious - 95.5/195.2_________-99.8 (22 possessions)

Maybe swapping out Burks for OG and reducing the rotation to 9 guys will help but extremely early returns don't look great. Hopefully as the new guys get more acclimated they can have a larger impact offensively and maybe OG can cover much of their defensive limitations. As the roster fils out again Thibs should be able to use guys situationally which will help if he remains flexible. Personally I was looking past this season since I thought the team had too many obstacles to overcome which is another reason why trading a young guy for 2 older win now guys didn't make sense to me.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,092

Post#129 » by Fat Kat » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Spree2Houston
Head Coach
And1: 7,093

Post#130 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:59 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Pistons game was the NBA’s way of giving us a win back lol
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,959

Post#131 » by 8516knicks » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:18 pm

Capn'O wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:When the team is at full health, the 2nd unit will be Burks, Deuce, Josh, Boyan, and Precious.

No Burks.

Yes Mitch.

Deuce, Josh, Boyan, and Precious and Mitch would be a formidable 2nd unit. Tons of rebounding. But would Deuce be up to it and is Bogs enough shooting. Could be. Want to see it. 8-) Actually the way this year is going that could end up being our First unit. :lol:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,183

Post#132 » by mpharris36 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:21 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Nice

Yes I am

I see the game you're playing...

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#133 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:32 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
this the energy i'm trying to embrace.

let me smoke my **** in peace.

:beer: RIP mags
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#134 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Yes I am

I see the game you're playing...

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,761

Post#135 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:47 pm

Capn'O wrote:

No Burks.

Yes Mitch.

I also think he's going to give Burks a chance to play with Randle. He played his best with 1-2 other playmakers on the floor.

Problem with the roster right now sans Julius is that Thibs doesn't trust McBride to play PG in his system because it depends heavily on rim pressure to generate looks. McBride rarely gets 2 feet in the paint. He's much more of a SG on offense w/ Thibs. When Brunson is out Thibs can just have the offense flow through Julius getting downhill and opening stuff up with that. That's where Burks can thrive because he becomes much more of a secondary ball handler with the ability to catch and shoot off of Julius's gravity as well.

Burks, even for how bad he is playing, can come off a screen and get to either a middy pull up or cook on a switch. Problem is he can't make any jumpers currently and he's an awful finisher at base line :lol:
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#136 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:50 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

****. Refs admitted the mistake, 2 min report said it too. What more do you want? We legit got screwed out of OT, and they NBA goes 'nah' like wtf?

At least with the Pistons, the 2 min report showed 2 times prior to the DDV/Thompson play that the Pistons should've lost possession twice, and we got screwed there so all in all, more 'fair'. Rockets game we just got screwed.. :x
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#137 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:06 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

****. Refs admitted the mistake, 2 min report said it too. What more do you want? We legit got screwed out of OT, and they NBA goes 'nah' like wtf?

At least with the Pistons, the 2 min report showed 2 times prior to the DDV/Thompson play that the Pistons should've lost possession twice, and we got screwed there so all in all, more 'fair'. Rockets game we just got screwed.. :x

DET will get a do over to keep things fair. They will make us play last 8 seconds over after awarding them FTs. :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,739

Post#138 » by cgmw » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Nice

Imagine dying on the Burks hill.

Burks >>> RJ!!!!! Right CB?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#139 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:20 pm

cgmw wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Imagine dying on the Burks hill.

Burks >>> RJ!!!!! Right CB?

I think we can all agree that MJ > Kobe. So why would I question whether MJ > Maple Mamba robot?

I rest my case.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 3,025

Post#140 » by GettinitDone » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks