ImageImageImageImageImage

pg: we won..

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,848

Re: pg: we won.. 

Post#161 » by DaGawd » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:13 pm

gavran wrote:Jalen 0 FTA....

starting to think the league beginning to bitch and complain that lil old jalen is busting their ass and he’s flopping sometimes in the process has caused the refs to not give him the whistle as much
BaF
Washington Wizards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,053

Post#162 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:42 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
With the win, the anxiety finally dissipated to the point where we all just fell asleep happy for once :lol:

Bummer dudes like to post after losses more then wins

Whatever floats their boat

The RJ wars have almost ended. It used to kill threads in games he didn't even play in. :lol: It still pops up in the win/win trade discussion but, for the most part it's over.

TBH, I thought I would be interested in how RJ and IQ are doing, but I only have the time to follow our franchise and I've completely lost track of their progress other than the occasional post here citing their stats. It sounds like they are doing well in TO and I'm glad for them. I don't understand why anyone would feel otherwise, but different strokes I guess.

Perhaps the biggest takeaways from that trade is roster construction is always a key factor in a team's success plus some players need to be featured to thrive fully. Both RJ and IQ are featured players there now. RJ was competing for the same air space with Randle so it often didn't work. And IQ was talented enough to seek out a starter role elsewhere.

Conversely, we got OG and Precious, both of whom fill our needs and are a better fit. TO was a team full of wings so the trade rebalanced their roster and that is pretty much the same outcome for us.

It has to be one of the better trades in recent years in terms of both teams fully benefitting from a big trade.
ImageImageImage
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,514

Post#163 » by Capn'O » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:46 pm

Bringing all of OG, Precious, and iHart will be quite expensive. We'll see. Sims emerging as playable is a boon. There's an archetype of big that Thibs is exceptional with.

Ray Williams wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:No Burks!

Situational.

The only situation he should play is if their are only 4 other available players.

That is the meaning of situational.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,691

Post#164 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:47 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
cgf wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Nothing about Thibs' tendencies and style indicates he's interested in going small if there's 2 very good, healthy, 7-footers on the roster.

If Mitch and I.Hart are healthy, they'll get all 48 of the minutes at Center.

Thibs would rather play 2 centers together than go small. :lol:

I know the memes but Thibs would rather win, so if a team was able to neutralize RobinHart and playing either of them over Precious or OG was hurting us, Thibs would try something else if he had the option.

We saw him give OG some run as a small ball 5 before he got hurt and he went small despite having two available centers just a few games ago...I forget which one it was, but I clearly remember us closing out the 4th with Precious + 4 guards (if we count Hart as a guard), despite both Jericho & IH both being available.*

Thibs may not experiment to much in games when things are working, but he's not dogmatic when they're not and he has alternatives that are.

*IIRC some folks on here even complained about Thibs only giving IH 13-14 minutes in that game because of his decision to close with Precious and the guards/small-wings.

When has Thibs gone small with Mitch and I.Hart healthy? They are both VERY good, but limited centers.

Thibs loves his 7-footers. If Mitch and I.Hart are available and healthy, It would be an absolute miracle if Thibs makes the in-game adjustment of sitting both of them to go small vs a team with a 7ft center in the game.

When has he had the option to get high level rim protection from a small ball 5 when RobinHart were both healthy? Thibs loves winning and he thinks having quality rim protection is important to having a good defense, which he thinks is important to winning. But Thibs has gone with both OG & Precious as his top rim protector before, despite having both Hartenstein & Sims available to him.

Thibs isn't actually as dogmatic as the memes make him out to be.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#165 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:49 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Context wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That is all...

He's a 13 mpg guy behind Randle when the roster is fully healthy.

However, He's literally the perfect starting PF to pair next to KAT.

He has to work on that 3pt shot though. He has shown a couple of years ago that he can hit at 36%.

Let's face it. We have to counter KP to have any shot at a championship during Brunson's prime. KP spreads you out, but doesn't have to defend anyone on the Knicks....just hang out around the paint, block shots and intimidate.

With KAT as your center, KP will be forced to be fully engaged in sticking to his man and guarding the 3pt line. With KP chasing KAT around, everyone else can eat in the paint and on the offensive boards.

Precious has played too well to get only 13 MPG

He fills the role that OG plays more than the one filled by Randle. Bogie was acquired in part to space the floor and score when Randle is sitting. But Precious can sub for Randle too and that may be a situational decision.

In terms of skills provided, OG and Precious can both rightly be designated PFs though with Randle as the resident PF they are superficially the SFs. In today's NBA, probably the right way to view them is as our wings regardless of positional names.

Since Precious can sub for both Randle and OG, I expect him to collect backup minutes from both players and play at least 20 MPG. He has been too good to not play him at least that much. It keeps the other guys fresh and we will often be as good with Precious in the game as anyone else. He's been that impactful.
ImageImageImage
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,886

Post#166 » by Iron Mantis » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:54 pm

gavran wrote:Jalen 0 FTA....

Jarrett Allen last night: 21 FTA

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#167 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:58 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Bummer dudes like to post after losses more then wins

Whatever floats their boat

The RJ wars have almost ended. It used to kill threads in games he didn't even play in. :lol: It still pops up in the win/win trade discussion but, for the most part it's over.

TBH, I thought I would be interested in how RJ and IQ are doing, but I only have the time to follow our franchise and I've completely lost track of their progress other than the occasional post here citing their stats. It sounds like they are doing well in TO and I'm glad for them. I don't understand why anyone would feel otherwise, but different strokes I guess.

Perhaps the biggest takeaways from that trade is roster construction is always a key factor in a team's success plus some players need to be featured to thrive fully. Both RJ and IQ are featured players there now. RJ was competing for the same air space with Randle so it often didn't work. And IQ was talented enough to seek out a starter role elsewhere.

Conversely, we got OG and Precious, both of whom fill our needs and are a better fit. TO was a team full of wings so the trade rebalanced their roster and that is pretty much the same outcome for us.

It has to be one of the better trades in recent years in terms of both teams fully benefitting from a big trade.

It really was a solid trade for both teams at a reasonable cost. I don't care what IQ/RJ do short of becoming stars in the league. I don't think either team let a superstar go they didn't realize they had. Just a bunch of solid young players exchanged for one another with a reasonable pick package to go with it. Good fit for both teams. We just need to get healthy and move on.
:beer: RIP mags
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#168 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:59 pm

cgf wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
cgf wrote:
That's the nice thing about our roster...if we get healthy...because if we are healthy and a stretch 5 is neutralizing RobinHart's effectiveness, then we can just roll with a Randle, Achiuwa, Anunoby front court to counter that 3pt shooting Center while still dominating the rebound battle and having good rim protection from OG & Precious.

But we'll see if teams actually force us into that. WCJ is a really good shooting center, who plays next to one of the most dynamic 4s in the league, and we had no qualms about playing IH or Jericho next to Precious. We have the option to counter it if we run into a team that can force us to play Achiuwa/Anunoby as our rim protector, but I'm not sure how much we'll actually have to.

Nothing about Thibs' tendencies and style indicates he's interested in going small if there's 2 very good, healthy, 7-footers on the roster.

I know the memes but Thibs would rather win, so if a team was able to neutralize RobinHart and playing either of them over Precious or OG was hurting us, Thibs would try something else if he had the option.

We saw him give OG some run as a small ball 5 before he got hurt and he went small despite having two available centers just a few games ago...I forget which one it was, but I clearly remember us closing out the 4th with Precious + 4 guards (if we count Hart as a guard), despite both Jericho & IH both being available.*

Thibs may not experiment to much in games when things are working, but he's not dogmatic when they're not and he has alternatives that are.

*IIRC some folks on here even complained about Thibs only giving IH 13-14 minutes in that game because of his decision to close with Precious and the guards/small-wings.

Thibs has done some small ball line-ups. That's partly due to a short roster, but also when it worked he stuck with it longer than he normally does.

The knock on Thibs is his feel for the game and his insistence on sticking with veterans over guys who are performing better. I think he has improved on this overall and we're seeing that in how Deuce is rapidly edging out Burks.

But Thibs is not elite when it comes to in-game adjustments and he is subject to getting outcoached by guys like Spoelstra who worked Thibs over in last year's series. This has been my primary knock on him possibly being incapable of coaching a team to a ring.

The # 1 factor is talent wins championships and coaching comes second. But when matched up with teams with comparable talent levels, coaching will get you wins and playoff advancement. I'm not convinced Thibs is capable of outcoaching Spoelstra or anyone else who is good at countering in-game adjustments in real time.

I'm open to being wrong about Thibs. I hope I'm wrong, because I want to win it all, but so far he has not won me over on that aspect. Otherwise, I like him as a motivator which is key to getting as far as we have gotten and he deserves our respect for restoring a professional culture that will continue to attract blue chip players to NYC.
ImageImageImage
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,886

Post#169 » by Iron Mantis » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:02 pm

cgf wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
cgf wrote:

When has Thibs gone small with Mitch and I.Hart healthy? They are both VERY good, but limited centers.

Thibs loves his 7-footers. If Mitch and I.Hart are available and healthy, It would be an absolute miracle if Thibs makes the in-game adjustment of sitting both of them to go small vs a team with a 7ft center in the game.

When has he had the option to get high level rim protection from a small ball 5 when RobinHart were both healthy? Thibs loves winning and he thinks having quality rim protection is important to having a good defense, which he thinks is important to winning. But Thibs has gone with both OG & Precious as his top rim protector before, despite having both Hartenstein & Sims available to him.

We will have to agree to disagree.

We will see how things shake out once the Knicks have both Mitch and I.Hart healthy.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#170 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:03 pm

Capn'O wrote:Bringing all of OG, Precious, and iHart will be quite expensive. We'll see. Sims emerging as playable is a boon. There's an archetype of big that Thibs is exceptional with.

Ray Williams wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Situational.

The only situation he should play is if their are only 4 other available players.

We know OG is staying. Precious could easily be less costly than iHart to retain so if they have to choose one of the two I would not be surprised if he's kept and iHart walks.

Keeping all 3 is optimal, but I'm assuming the monetary implications for our cap means a choice has to be made.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#171 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:Bringing all of OG, Precious, and iHart will be quite expensive. We'll see. Sims emerging as playable is a boon. There's an archetype of big that Thibs is exceptional with.

Ray Williams wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Situational.

Cap flexing now

ImageImageImage
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,465

Post#172 » by gavran » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:10 pm

Capn'O wrote:Bringing all of OG, Precious, and iHart will be quite expensive.

Not your money.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,425

Post#173 » by Ray Williams » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:25 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

Ray Williams wrote:The only situation he should play is if their are only 4 other available players.

Cap flexing now

lol, situational can be more than one situation, he should only play if we can’t put five players on the court.
cgf
RealGM

Post#174 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:25 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
cgf wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:Nothing about Thibs' tendencies and style indicates he's interested in going small if there's 2 very good, healthy, 7-footers on the roster.

Thibs has done some small ball line-ups. That's partly due to a short roster, but also when it worked he stuck with it longer than he normally does.

The knock on Thibs is his feel for the game and his insistence on sticking with veterans over guys who are performing better. I think he has improved on this overall and we're seeing that in how Deuce is rapidly edging out Burks.

But Thibs is not elite when it comes to in-game adjustments and he is subject to getting outcoached by guys like Spoelstra who worked Thibs over in last year's series. This has been my primary knock on him possibly being incapable of coaching a team to a ring.

The # 1 factor is talent wins championships and coaching comes second. But when matched up with teams with comparable talent levels, coaching will get you wins and playoff advancement. I'm not convinced Thibs is capable of outcoaching Spoelstra or anyone else who is good at countering in-game adjustments in real time.

I'm open to being wrong about Thibs. I hope I'm wrong, because I want to win it all, but so far he has not won me over on that aspect. Otherwise, I like him as a motivator which is key to getting as far as we have gotten and he deserves our respect for restoring a professional culture that will continue to attract blue chip players to NYC.

That's a lot more fair and I wouldn't disagree. I'd just counter by saying that a lot of coaches have gotten worked a lot harder by Spo than Thibs, and that didn't stop guys like Nurse or Bud from winning rings. There may be a few other than Spo that could take advantage of Thibs, but looking around the league I'd feel confident in thibs against at least 85-90% of the coaches out there.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,278

Post#175 » by sol537 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:28 pm

I'll say again... we're not going to out talent teams in rounds 2, ECF, or Finals (if we get there)... we have to out "will" teams. We have to overwhelm them on defense and on the glass and with a relentless attack (ie pressure on their defense). That's the only way... we got the dogs to do it... but do we have the health? That's the question...
cgf
RealGM

Post#176 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:29 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
cgf wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:When has Thibs gone small with Mitch and I.Hart healthy? They are both VERY good, but limited centers.

We will have to agree to disagree.

We will see how things shake out once the Knicks have both Mitch and I.Hart healthy.

Fair enough. Time will ultimately tell, but I just can't see Thibs sticking with something that's not working while he has something that is working on the bench.

Not saying Precious will regularly take minutes from RobinHart, but if we run into a match up where going small with Precious & OG was working better than sticking with RobinHart, I would be surprised if we lost because Thibs just refused to go small.

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,021

Post#177 » by knicks94 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:56 pm

My favorite part of the game was how Buzzardman stood away from posting so he wouldn't jinx us.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,281

Post#178 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:07 pm

Precious is cool and should play over Bojan unless we really need more offense and shooting in certain situations. If he can start hitting threes again himself then it’s not even close.

Isaiah is looking more like his old self again, but he cant play big minutes so we obviously still need Mitch back to replace Jericho.

Jalen didnt miss a beat. His game is so consistent because he does most of his damage in the paint.

Deuce continues to play well, and is getting more time than Alec now which is a great development.

Josh has been on another level since the All Star break. This is why he got the big contract.

Donte has been pretty bad for the last month though, outside of a few games. Needs to develop more offense inside the arc when his shot is off, and stop rushing things.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#179 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:50 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:Precious is cool and should play over Bojan unless we really need more offense and shooting in certain situations. If he can start hitting threes again himself then it’s not even close.

Isaiah is looking more like his old self again, but he cant play big minutes so we obviously still need Mitch back to replace Jericho.

Jalen didnt miss a beat. His game is so consistent because he does most of his damage in the paint.

Deuce continues to play well, and is getting more time than Alec now which is a great development.

Josh has been on another level since the All Star break. This is why he got the big contract.

Donte has been pretty bad for the last month though, outside of a few games. Needs to develop more offense inside the arc when his shot is off, and stop rushing things.

Donte's drop-off has often been the difference in winnable games we lost in the last month. When he was hot, the one-two punch of Brunson and Donte was pouring in 60 points a game and getting us wins.

His hamstring was acting up before the AS Break and he hasn't had the same jumping ability since around that time. That loss of pep in his step has transferred to his shooting. He's one one of the guys who needs their minutes cut back. If that happens, I expect he'll bounce back.
ImageImageImage
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,281

Post#180 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:06 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Precious is cool and should play over Bojan unless we really need more offense and shooting in certain situations. If he can start hitting threes again himself then it’s not even close.

Donte's drop-off has often been the difference in winnable games we lost in the last month. When he was hot, the one-two punch of Brunson and Donte was pouring in 60 points a game and getting us wins.

His hamstring was acting up before the AS Break and he hasn't had the same jumping ability since around that time. That loss of pep in his step has transferred to his shooting. He's one one of the guys who needs their minutes cut back. If that happens, I expect he'll bounce back.

Donte could be a little injured still or burnt out sure, but I think this is mainly the law of averages in practice. He started the season off so hot, shooting better than he ever did before, so he was bound to fall back down to earth.

The concerning thing about him is that he has very little offense outside of threes. Doesnt get to the line at all, little mid-range game, and doesn’t seem to finish too well inside. Luckily he’s still a solid rebounder, passer, and team defender so he not completely 1 dimensional.

He is just getting exposed a bit. Josh is going to close over him once guys return, so he’ll be back in the 25 mpg range and not asked to do too much where he can hopefully become efficient again. He’s looking more like a good 6th/7th man than a starting SG on a contender though. Still a great contract and pickup, but my expectations have lowered. I thought he took a legit jump for a second there.

Return to New York Knicks