ImageImageImageImageImage

pg: we won..

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Re: pg: we won.. 

Post#181 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:13 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Precious is cool and should play over Bojan unless we really need more offense and shooting in certain situations. If he can start hitting threes again himself then it’s not even close.

Isaiah is looking more like his old self again, but he cant play big minutes so we obviously still need Mitch back to replace Jericho.

Jalen didnt miss a beat. His game is so consistent because he does most of his damage in the paint.

Deuce continues to play well, and is getting more time than Alec now which is a great development.

Josh has been on another level since the All Star break. This is why he got the big contract.

Donte has been pretty bad for the last month though, outside of a few games. Needs to develop more offense inside the arc when his shot is off, and stop rushing things.

Donte's drop-off has often been the difference in winnable games we lost in the last month. When he was hot, the one-two punch of Brunson and Donte was pouring in 60 points a game and getting us wins.

His hamstring was acting up before the AS Break and he hasn't had the same jumping ability since around that time. That loss of pep in his step has transferred to his shooting. He's one one of the guys who needs their minutes cut back. If that happens, I expect he'll bounce back.

Donte could be a little injured still or burnt out sure, but I think this is mainly the law of averages in practice. He started the season off so hot, shooting better than he ever did before, so he was bound to fall back down to earth.

The concerning thing about him is that he has very little offense outside of threes. Doesnt get to the line at all, little mid-range game, and doesn’t seem to finish too well inside. Luckily he’s still a solid rebounder, passer, and team defender so he not completely 1 dimensional.

He is just getting exposed a bit. Josh is going to close over him once guys return, so he’ll be back in the 25 mpg range and not asked to do too much where he can hopefully become efficient again. He’s looking more like a good 6th/7th man than a starting SG on a contender though. Still a great contract and pickup, but my expectations have lowered.

I think the biggest thing is the kind of shots Donte takes. If we can get him back to most of his shots being assisted and more open than contested ones, I think the odds are better of him continuing to shoot well above his career averages...even if he's not the new Klay...but when the injuries force Donte to be one of our creators instead of just a complement, his #s will tank.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,281

Post#182 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:18 pm

cgf wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Donte's drop-off has often been the difference in winnable games we lost in the last month. When he was hot, the one-two punch of Brunson and Donte was pouring in 60 points a game and getting us wins.

His hamstring was acting up before the AS Break and he hasn't had the same jumping ability since around that time. That loss of pep in his step has transferred to his shooting. He's one one of the guys who needs their minutes cut back. If that happens, I expect he'll bounce back.

Donte could be a little injured still or burnt out sure, but I think this is mainly the law of averages in practice. He started the season off so hot, shooting better than he ever did before, so he was bound to fall back down to earth.

The concerning thing about him is that he has very little offense outside of threes. Doesnt get to the line at all, little mid-range game, and doesn’t seem to finish too well inside. Luckily he’s still a solid rebounder, passer, and team defender so he not completely 1 dimensional.

He is just getting exposed a bit. Josh is going to close over him once guys return, so he’ll be back in the 25 mpg range and not asked to do too much where he can hopefully become efficient again. He’s looking more like a good 6th/7th man than a starting SG on a contender though. Still a great contract and pickup, but my expectations have lowered.

I think the biggest thing is the kind of shots Donte takes. If we can get him back to most of his shots being assisted and more open than contested ones, I think the odds are better of him continuing to shoot well above his career averages...even if he's not the new Klay...but when the injuries force Donte to be one of our creators instead of just a complement, his #s will tank.

All fair, but Donte is missing a lot of open shots now too. He just seems to be rushing everything from his shots to passes. Not really reacting to the game, and forcing too much.

Of course I expect things will get better for everyone on both ends once OG, Julius, and Mitch return, but Donte was doing work without them for a few weeks there before he fell off. Disappointing he couldn’t keep it up, but oh well. Still lots of time left to rebound.
cgf
RealGM

Post#183 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:22 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
cgf wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:

All fair, but Donte is missing a lot of open shots now too. He just seems to be rushing everything from his shots to passes. Not really reacting to the game, and forcing things too much.

Of course I expect things will get better for everyone on both ends once OG, Julius, and Mitch return, but Donte was doing work without them for a few weeks there before he fell off. Disappointing, but oh well. Still lots of time left to rebound.

That doesn't surprise me though. Not only is he in less of a rhythm since he doesn't have as many easy shots created for him and he's facing more defensive attention, but he feels more pressure to step up. At the start he was still hot from the roll he got on when we were healthier, but with time that faded.

With a healthy Brundle back both of those issues should be alleviated, which should help DDV continue shooting better than ever before...hopefully...though it would certainly help A LOT if he had any reliable way of getting points inside of the arc.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 62,052

Post#184 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:22 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Precious is cool and should play over Bojan unless we really need more offense and shooting in certain situations. If he can start hitting threes again himself then it’s not even close.

Isaiah is looking more like his old self again, but he cant play big minutes so we obviously still need Mitch back to replace Jericho.

Jalen didnt miss a beat. His game is so consistent because he does most of his damage in the paint.

Deuce continues to play well, and is getting more time than Alec now which is a great development.

Josh has been on another level since the All Star break. This is why he got the big contract.

Donte has been pretty bad for the last month though, outside of a few games. Needs to develop more offense inside the arc when his shot is off, and stop rushing things.

He is just getting exposed a bit. Josh is going to close over him once guys return, so he’ll be back in the 25 mpg range and not asked to do too much where he can hopefully become efficient again. He’s looking more like a good 6th/7th man than a starting SG on a contender though. Still a great contract and pickup, but my expectations have lowered. I thought he took a legit jump for a second there.

I also see him as a nice 6th man. I'd like an elite defensive SG starting next to Brunson.

I'd like to experiment with a Brunson/Deuce starting backcourt. It's a small one at 6'1", but Deuce on D plays much bigger with the wingspan of a 6'5" player and his ability to cover, switch and harass.

It should be a priority to put a great defender who can hit shots next to Brunson and Deuce now fits that description to a T.
ImageImageImage
cgf
RealGM

Post#185 » by cgf » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

He is just getting exposed a bit. Josh is going to close over him once guys return, so he’ll be back in the 25 mpg range and not asked to do too much where he can hopefully become efficient again. He’s looking more like a good 6th/7th man than a starting SG on a contender though. Still a great contract and pickup, but my expectations have lowered. I thought he took a legit jump for a second there.

I also see him as a nice 6th man. I'd like an elite defensive SG starting next to Brunson.

I'd like to experiment with a Brunson/Deuce starting backcourt. It's a small one at 6'1", but Deuce on D plays much bigger with the wingspan of a 6'5" player and his ability to cover, switch and harass.

It should be a priority to put a great defender who can hit shots next to Brunson and Deuce now fits that description to a T.

There's space with me & Sol on the Caruso bandwagon 8-)

McBride - Caruso - Hart/OG - Randle - RobinHart/Achiuwa lineups would work great when Brunson rested, and:

Brunson - Caruso - Anunoby - Randle - RobinHart/Achiuwa would be the perfect Thibs closing lineup...barring a Brundle-upgrade.

AC may not have the wingspan you had in mind, but he guards 1-3.5 exceptionally well...in fact even some of those jumbo-4s he can harass, like he's done to Julius before.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,123

Post#186 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:34 pm

Precious >>>>>>>>> Isaacs
Free Palestine
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,401

Post#187 » by stuporman » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:03 pm

Actually, it's not easy to get back on Thibs island because the defense is too good but if you somehow get on it be ready to play every minute once you do.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
stuporman
RealGM

Post#188 » by stuporman » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:05 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
stuporman wrote:I was told that Burps is taking Deuce's mins...hm

He was, Thibs tried at first. Luckily Deuce just been playing too good even for Thibs to ignore

By 'tried' you mean that one game where Burks played 6 mins of time when Brunson was on the bench and Deuce was not in the game so could be construed that he 'took' those mins from him? Asking for a friend...
Image?
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,809

Post#189 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:10 pm

stuporman wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:

He was, Thibs tried at first. Luckily Deuce just been playing too good even for Thibs to ignore

By 'tried' you mean that one game where Burks played 6 mins of time when Brunson was on the bench and Deuce was not in the game so could be construed that he 'took' those mins from him? Asking for a friend...

I meant tried when Burks played 22, 17, and 30 minutes in his first 3 games and Deuce had his minutes drop to 11, 5, and then finally back up to 32. Prior to the games Burks got traded here Deuce was playing 20+ minutes, that 11min and 5min game was right after the trade when Thibs 'tried' to have Burks take Deuce's minutes, luckily Deuce kept playing well enough Thibs couldn't pull that ish, plus Burks playing HORRIBLE since coming here has also helped Deuce not lose his spot after those first 2 games after the trade.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
stuporman
RealGM

Post#190 » by stuporman » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:25 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:He was, Thibs tried at first. Luckily Deuce just been playing too good even for Thibs to ignore

I meant tried when Burks played 22, 17, and 30 minutes in his first 3 games and Deuce had his minutes drop to 11, 5, and then finally back up to 32. Prior to the games Burks got traded here Deuce was playing 20+ minutes, that 11min and 5min game was right after the trade when Thibs 'tried' to have Burks take Deuce's minutes, luckily Deuce kept playing well enough Thibs couldn't pull that ish, plus Burks playing HORRIBLE since coming here has also helped Deuce not lose his spot after those first 2 games after the trade.

That first game Brunson played 37 minutes...and Deuce played 11, that adds up to 48, the amount of mins that are available at the PG spot in a regulation game. That's someone imagining Burks taking Deuces mins, not it actually happening.

It's true that McBride played more minutes next to Brunson after IQ was traded but we should acknowledge that two 6-1 players aren't ideal next to each other in the back court especially considering the match up. There were also games where Brunson was hurt and out.

Yes, I'm sure that Thibs played Burks with the idea in his head of what he used to be more than what he is now and because the Knicks just traded for him but to suggest it's some grand scheme to replace Deuce is an overreach. He played the guy and quickly realized he's pretty much unplayable most of the time.

It's amazing the conspiratorial mindset some people will take about Thibs instead of just accept he plays players based on who he thinks will help the team win. If a player isn't that, he plays less or not at all and he will play a guy he trusts will help the team, Deuce is one of them now.

As a rookie, no, last season, probably not, beginning of this season, less so, after the trade, more so, but now, he's firmly in the Thibs circle of trust and Burks isn't going to displace him. So the narrative can pretty much die, it's not it.
Image?
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,175

Post#191 » by KnicksGod » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:28 pm

stuporman wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:

Nah he came in first, right away. It’s good that Thibs changed course but had Burks not fallen on his face, he’d be playing Deuce’s minutes. Maybe all.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#192 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:It’s quiet as **** in here.

With the win, the anxiety finally dissipated to the point where we all just fell asleep happy for once :lol:

Bummer dudes like to post after losses more then wins

Whatever floats their boat

I would have to check, but I think I usually post more after wins, but unless I am usually a "next day" pg thread kinda guy.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
stuporman
RealGM

Post#193 » by stuporman » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:33 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:He was, Thibs tried at first. Luckily Deuce just been playing too good even for Thibs to ignore

Nah he came in first, right away. It’s good that Thibs changed course but had Burks not fallen on his face, he’d be playing Deuce’s minutes. Maybe all.

Nah, he came in for Divo, not for Brunson so it's cool you guys are so comfortable being openly wrong and not realizing it, it's brave.
Image?
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#194 » by JayTWill » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:35 pm

stuporman wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
stuporman wrote:

That first game Brunson played 37 minutes...and Deuce played 11, that adds up to 48, the amount of mins that are available at the PG spot in a regulation game. That's someone imagining Burks taking Deuces mins, not it actually happening.

It's true that McBride played more minutes next to Brunson after IQ was traded but we should acknowledge that two 6-1 players aren't ideal next to each other in the back court especially considering the match up. There were also games where Brunson was hurt and out.

Yes, I'm sure that Thibs played Burks with the idea in his head of what he used to be more than what he is now and because the Knicks just traded for him but to suggest it's some grand scheme to replace Deuce is an overreach. He played the guy and quickly realized he's pretty much unplayable most of the time.

It's amazing the conspiratorial mindset some people will take about Thibs instead of just accept he plays players based on who he thinks will help the team win. If a player isn't that, he plays less or not at all and he will play a guy he trusts will help the team, Deuce is one of them now.

As a rookie, no, last season, probably not, beginning of this season, less so, after the trade, more so, but now, he's firmly in the Thibs circle of trust and Burks isn't going to displace him. So the narrative can pretty much die, it's not it.

Thibs did actually bench Deuce completely in the second half of the second game after Burks arrived. At that point I was a little worried that Thib's may eventually remove Deuce from the rotation completely and just play the Nova guys heavy minutes and give Burks the remaining backcourt minutes. DDV played 41 minutes that game before leaving halfway through the 4th due to injury.

Deuce's minutes jumped back up the next game since Brunson, Burks and McBride were the only guards available. When DDV came back from injury he was not thrown right back into the crazy 40+ minutes he was getting before the injury but Thibs seems to be working his way back up there again. That left more room for Deuce to play.

Burks has fallen flat on his face since the trade and I assume Deuce is more trusted than he is now. I don't know what the initial plan was when they made the Detroit trade but it was clear that Thibs did not completely trust Deuce to run the second unit after the OG trade and rightfully so. He played a major role in the offensive struggles in the second unit. I can envision a scenario where the plan was to replace Grimes with Bojan and have Burks reduce Deuce's role to try to add more offensive firepower to the bench.

If that was the plan it has failed so far and Deuce may simply be the beneficiary of a bad trade.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#195 » by KnicksGod » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:13 am

stuporman wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Nah, he came in for Divo, not for Brunson so it's cool you guys are so comfortable being openly wrong and not realizing it, it's brave.

So the trade had nothing to do with losing Quickley?
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,809

Post#196 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:32 am

stuporman wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
stuporman wrote:

You're looking at this the stupidest and most simplistic way possible. "Duhh Burks came in for Divo so that means he didn't replace Deuce!"

Not gonna bother arguing with you when I already gave you the facts of the first 2-3 games Burks was here.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#197 » by KnicksGod » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:42 am

Burks was bringing the ball up … Thibs isn’t that hard figure out. The guy bringing up the ball is his PG.

But whatever. The fact that Deuce has overcome it is his very good play and Burks’ VERY poor play. Both needed to happen.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#198 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:48 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
stuporman wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

You're looking at this the stupidest and most simplistic way possible. "Duhh Burks came in for Divo so that means he didn't replace Deuce!"

Not gonna bother arguing with you when I already gave you the facts of the first 2-3 games Burks was here.

The stupidest and most simplistic way to look at it would be asserting something without evidence, just based on your own imagination...because there's no evidence Burks has replaced Deuce in the rotation...maybe one game one time isn't enough to say it's happening.

Especially since everything since has disproven that idea...but keep on saying it the rest of the season maybe someone will believe you, I sure don't...unless Deuce starts actually losing mins to Burks, then I'll agree, until then, I'll laugh at it.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#199 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:50 am

KnicksGod wrote:Burks was bringing the ball up … Thibs isn’t that hard figure out. The guy bringing up the ball is his PG.

But whatever. The fact that Deuce has overcome it is his very good play and Burks’ VERY poor play. Both needed to happen.

So when Randle or Hart bring the ball up they are the PG?

Maybe it's you who isn't too hard to figure out, agenda > reality. :lol:
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#200 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:51 am

KnicksGod wrote:
stuporman wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:

So the trade had nothing to do with losing Quickley?

Are you psychic and know exactly why people do something who haven't said why they do something?
Image?

Return to New York Knicks