ImageImageImageImageImage

Og Anunoby IS TERRORIZING THE NBA (How To Play Defense Like OG Anunoby) |Defensive Breakdown|

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,535

Og Anunoby IS TERRORIZING THE NBA (How To Play Defense Like OG Anunoby) |Defensive Breakdown| 

Post#1 » by Zenzibar » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 pm

This guy's presence has influenced a good defense and transformed it into a "terrorizing" one. The IQ on defense collectively is insane now.
Stop All Genocides
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,030

Re: Og Anunoby IS TERRORIZING THE NBA (How To Play Defense Like OG Anunoby) |Defensive Breakdown| 

Post#2 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:39 pm

I do not watch Raptors games, but why did Toronto give up on him? Did they not know how to maximize his talent?
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 911

Re: Og Anunoby IS TERRORIZING THE NBA (How To Play Defense Like OG Anunoby) |Defensive Breakdown| 

Post#3 » by NY2k1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:48 pm

knicks94 wrote:I do not watch Raptors games, but why did Toronto give up on him? Did they not know how to maximize his talent?

Just the opposite. Think it moreso had to do with them essentially wanting to rebuild and not paying OG what he'd want.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,632

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm

knicks94 wrote:I do not watch Raptors games, but why did Toronto give up on him? Did they not know how to maximize his talent?

I mean, they won a championship with him in a substantial role. But then the team changed. They had a thousand forwards and didn't sort things out fast enough. I gather he wanted out for a better role.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,474

Post#6 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:57 pm

Galvationknicks wrote:

Mentions J/IHart and OG alot

That's Tom Thibodeau's son! :lol: I am so used to hearing him scream how lousy every team plays terrible D against us! :rofl:
:beer: RIP mags
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 138

Post#7 » by KNICKS007 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:23 pm

NY2k1 wrote:

Just the opposite. Think it moreso had to do with them essentially wanting to rebuild and not paying OG what he'd want.

Keep in mind His agent is Leon Rose son, he's a pending FA and they could have lost him for nothing.

IF I'm the Raptors GM, I'm looking at how the Knicks snatched Brunson from Dallas and got nothing.

The raptors are not a FA destination, and RJ and IQ are solid young pieces with NBA experience, It's better than some protected picks in a weak draft
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

This guy's presence has influenced a good defense and transformed it into a "terrorizing" one. The IQ on defense collectively is insane now.

Is this you? Pretty damn nice.
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,452

Post#9 » by TwitterFingers » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Capn'O wrote:

I mean, they won a championship with him in a substantial role. But then the team changed. They had a thousand forwards and didn't sort things out fast enough. I gather he wanted out for a better role.

He didn’t play in the playoffs when Toronto won the championship. He was out with a ruptured appendix
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,920

Post#10 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:47 pm

TwitterFingers wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

He didn’t play in the playoffs when Toronto won the championship. He was out with a ruptured appendix

Yes and in 2020 Masai did nothing to replace Kawhi, but OG became like Kawhi's replacement as a starter. That team had great record before covid hit. Since then the Raptors had a great 3 man core of Siakam, OG and Barnes but failed to build around them and FVV with good supporting cast. Too many forwards, no center and not enough shooting. Just poor roster management. Many Raptors fan wanted to trade Siakam but keep OG because he fits Barnes's timeline more. But they waited too long and instead tore it down.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#11 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:48 pm

Sporting News article:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/o-g-anunoby-is-the-eastern-conference-s-biggest-x-factor-how-defensive-ace-transforms-knicks-into-contender/ar-BB1k4eDZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5f4f469145474ac3a3ec61e3a6d9a662&ei=24

Anunoby has also been an extremely versatile on-ball defender. He's stopped everyone from post-bruisers like Alperen Sengun to super-athletic guards like Anthony Edwards. The Knicks play Anunoby alongside other versatile wings, allowing them to switch across several positions without giving up advantages.

Anunoby isn't the best player on the Knicks, but he amplifies the strengths of everyone else around him. He's already developed into a glue guy who has them looking like potentially the second-best team in the East when he's available. All of the benefits that he brings should become even more valuable in the playoffs, making him potentially the biggest X-factor in the East.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,535

Post#12 » by Zenzibar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Is this you? Pretty damn nice.

I appreciate it but nah, it was a great scouting video on OG's prowess.
Stop All Genocides
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,825

Post#13 » by dakomish23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 pm

I didn't watch the video yet, but I hope at some point they mention his insane build for an NBA player. I think he could be an awesome bodybuilder based on his frame
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,632

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:23 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
TwitterFingers wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Yes and in 2020 Masai did nothing to replace Kawhi, but OG became like Kawhi's replacement as a starter. That team had great record before covid hit. Since then the Raptors had a great 3 man core of Siakam, OG and Barnes but failed to build around them and FVV with good supporting cast. Too many forwards, no center and not enough shooting. Just poor roster management. Many Raptors fan wanted to trade Siakam but keep OG because he fits Barnes's timeline more. But they waited too long and instead tore it down.

:oops:

I knew he was highly valued there but forgot that little detail.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,030

Post#15 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:30 pm

I don’t want to go off topic, but I’m glad Dolan never hired Masai a few years back.He is very much like Doc Rivers in terms of his legacy hanging on one championship.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#16 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 pm

dakomish23 wrote:I didn't watch the video yet, but I hope at some point they mention his insane build for an NBA player. I think he could be an awesome bodybuilder based on his frame

His older brother kicked around the NFL as a DL before going to med school:

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by dakomish23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I didn't watch the video yet, but I hope at some point they mention his insane build for an NBA player. I think he could be an awesome bodybuilder based on his frame

That makes sense. He's built like an NFL player

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by dakomish23 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

That makes sense. He's built like an NFL player

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#19 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 pm

Not an analytical breakdown like the OP's video, but this one made me tear up after the trade happened:

XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,310

Post#20 » by XTC » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

No Raptors fan wanted OG traded, he didn't fit the timeline anymore, and I doubt he would want to stay around for a rebuild, same reason Siakam was packaged. BTW us Raptors fans held OG in a higher regard than Siakam going back to 2020. He has truly been the best defender in the NBA since 2020, and we're so happy he's finally getting his recognition in New York. I've never seen a guy be able to defend guys 1-5 like OG. He was playing primarily at center in the 2020 playoffs when we faced off vs the Celtics.

The best way to describe OG is Kawhi minus the superstar offense. OG is a rare defender in the mold of Kawhi, Artest, and Pippen. After the impact he has had with you guys, you can see why he was universally loved on the Raptors.

Best of luck to the Knicks & OG. Ya'll officially became my second favorite team the moment you got OG, and I hope you guys get healthy soon and have a deep playoff run.

Return to New York Knicks