ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff race: Final 12 games

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Playoff race: Final 12 games 

Post#1 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:08 am

NYK CLE ORL
DET @MIA* GS
@TOR CHA" LAC*
@SA @CHA MEM*
OKC PHI POR
@MIA @DEN @NO
SAC @UTA* @CHA
@CHI* @PHO* CHI
@MIL @LAL* @HOU*
@CHI @LAC* @MIL*
@BOS* MEM @PHI
BKN* IND MIL
CHI CHA

*Back to back

1GB of CLE 3 seed
.5GA of ORL 5 seed
2.5GA of IND 6 seed

Looks like we have the easiest schedule left of these three teams. We are looking at 3/4/5 seed race with an outside chance at the 2 seed still. Everything depends on who comes back from injury at this point. We could drop to 6 but, I don't think IND catches us. Need injury updates!!
:beer: RIP mags
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Re: Playoff race: Final 12 games 

Post#2 » by sol537 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:37 am

3rd or 6th is the best outcome. 2nd is prob out of reach.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#3 » by sol537 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:38 am

50 wins, 3rd seed… is my prediction
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,655

Post#4 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 am

Just took a look at the remaining Knick and Cavs schedules----the Cavs really have a much easier schedule on second look. If Mitchell comes back then I see them go 9-3 or so....the Knicks will have to really fight and would have to go 10-2.....really don't see it unless some of the late season games against the Celtics and Bucks are games where those teams rest some of their star players.

We have the Bulls 3 times as well. They are somewhat solid....don't see us winning all 3 games necessarily. Thunder, Kings as well. Not easy. The Magic play the Bucks twice but unfortunately at the very end of the season where the Bucks are likely going to have locked the 2nd seed up and are probably gonna be resting starters.

If OG and Mitch return this week I could see us pulling off a strong finish to the season. If they remain on and off etc. I see us in 4th or 5th.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,655

Post#5 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:46 am

sol537 wrote:3rd or 6th is the best outcome. 2nd is prob out of reach.

I actually the 6th seed is also "out of reach". Don't really see us dropping all the way there---especially with 3 very winnable games coming up. Realistically we'd have to go something like 4-6 in order to fall to 6th place. Highly unlikely, especially with Indy, Philly and Heat all not looking especially sharp right now.

Realistically it is going to be 3rd, 4th or 5th.

I actually don't think 50 wins is going to be enough for the 3rd seed. Cleveland would have to go 7-5 but I feel they'll do better than that. The Heat game tonight is absolutely key---if they lose the game the 3rd seed may indeed be possible. I see them winning 8 or 9 games here.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,791

Post#6 » by cgmw » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:40 pm

Just my cynical two cents: regular season record this year has more to do with contract extensions for Thibs and Leon than it does for likelihood of playoff success or (at this point) chances of landing a star player in the offseason.

The only team you want to avoid in the East this year is the Celtics, which means you don't want the 8 seed. And you'd rather have 3, 6, or 7 than 4 or 5.

The top priority should be A) preserving Jalen Brunson at all costs; and A1) Getting OG and Randle back to full health. Winning as many regular season games as possible from here on out should be a much lower priority, but of course it never is with Dolan's Knicks. The 8 seed with a healthy "Big 3" >>>>>>> the 2 seed with everybody banged up.

Seeding matters much less than player health-- unless of course you are Tom Thibs or Leon Rose who are both working on expiring contracts under a volatile prick of a boss and need those extensions this summer.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,645

Post#7 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:47 pm

Just avoid Miami and we're good.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,763

Post#8 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:50 pm

Between the Knicks, Cavs, Magics, Pacers, and Heats, the Knicks have the easier schedule (playing against 4 teams with winning records vs. 5 with with losing records). Cavs and Heats have the hardest schedule with 6 teams with winning records (Magics and Pacers play 5 teams with winning records). The Bucks have the easiest schedule. I can't see anyone catching up to them.

I want the 3rd seed. I don't think Miami will sneak into the 6th seed. And if they do, it's a revenge 1st round. I will go to my grave by saying the Knicks beat the Knicks last year.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:51 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
sol537 wrote:3rd or 6th is the best outcome. 2nd is prob out of reach.

I actually the 6th seed is also "out of reach". Don't really see us dropping all the way there---especially with 3 very winnable games coming up. Realistically we'd have to go something like 4-6 in order to fall to 6th place. Highly unlikely, especially with Indy, Philly and Heat all not looking especially sharp right now.

Realistically it is going to be 3rd, 4th or 5th.

I actually don't think 50 wins is going to be enough for the 3rd seed. Cleveland would have to go 7-5 but I feel they'll do better than that. The Heat game tonight is absolutely key---if they lose the game the 3rd seed may indeed be possible. I see them winning 8 or 9 games here.

Cavs have the hardest schedule of the bunch. I don't think they hold on.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#10 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:13 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:NYK CLE ORL
DET @MIA* GS
@TOR CHA" LAC*
@SA @CHA MEM*
OKC PHI POR
@MIA @DEN @NO
SAC @UTA* @CHA
@CHI* @PHO* CHI
@MIL @LAL* @HOU*
@CHI @LAC* @MIL*
@BOS* MEM @PHI
BKN* IND MIL
CHI CHA

*Back to back

1GB of CLE 3 seed
.5GA of ORL 5 seed
2.5GA of IND 6 seed

Looks like we have the easiest schedule left of these three teams. We are looking at 3/4/5 seed race with an outside chance at the 2 seed still. Everything depends on who comes back from injury at this point. We could drop to 6 but, I don't think IND catches us. Need injury updates!!

For our part I have BOS as auto loss, I have OKC, Mia, Sac, Mil all as 50/50 games, and the rest as wins. So anywhere from 11-1 to 7-5. 50 wins seems attainable.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,213

Post#11 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:02 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
DET @MIA* GS
@TOR CHA" LAC*
@SA @CHA MEM*
OKC PHI POR
@MIA @DEN @NO
SAC @UTA* @CHA
@CHI* @PHO* CHI
@MIL @LAL* @HOU*
@CHI @LAC* @MIL*
@BOS* MEM @PHI
BKN* IND MIL
CHI CHA

*Back to back

1GB of CLE 3 seed
.5GA of ORL 5 seed
2.5GA of IND 6 seed

For our part I have BOS as auto loss, I have OKC, Mia, Sac, Mil all as 50/50 games, and the rest as wins. So anywhere from 11-1 to 7-5. 50 wins seems attainable.

I am not so sure if Boston is an auto loss. If we're neck and neck with Cleveland for the 3rd spot and Celtics have secure home-court advantage throughout the playoffs... they would rather sit their guys and probably will want Cleveland in the 2nd round.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
DET @MIA* GS
@TOR CHA" LAC*
@SA @CHA MEM*
OKC PHI POR
@MIA @DEN @NO
SAC @UTA* @CHA
@CHI* @PHO* CHI
@MIL @LAL* @HOU*
@CHI @LAC* @MIL*
@BOS* MEM @PHI
BKN* IND MIL
CHI CHA

*Back to back

1GB of CLE 3 seed
.5GA of ORL 5 seed
2.5GA of IND 6 seed

I am not so sure if Boston is an auto loss. If we're neck and neck with Cleveland for the 3rd spot and Celtics have secure home-court advantage throughout the playoffs... they would rather sit their guys and probably will want Cleveland in the 2nd round.

A lot of this depends on who comes back healthy and when. We have been gutting out wins for two months now shorthanded. Something's gotta change.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:37 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:A lot of this depends on who comes back healthy and when. We have been gutting out wins for two months now shorthanded. Something's gotta change.

Even at the worse case scenario with waiting until the playoffs for the 3 to return, I think the Knicks can play .500 ball at the very least. They still have arguably an easier schedule.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:06 am

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:A lot of this depends on who comes back healthy and when. We have been gutting out wins for two months now shorthanded. Something's gotta change.

Even at the worse case scenario with waiting until the playoffs for the 3 to return, I think the Knicks can play .500 ball at the very least. They still have arguably an easier schedule.

I think we finish no lower than 6th as is.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,935

Post#15 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:28 am

As an aside, I'm sad OG may miss the game in Toronto Wednesday, the first chance he has to get his homecoming ovation and tribute video. He was a very popular Raptor. Maybe they'll do it with him in street clothes. Assuming he travels even if not playing. I doubt they'll dress and play him for sentimental reasons, it'd be nice if he is ready though.

I know there are bigger fish to fry but I hope to see it.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,935

Post#16 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:59 am

How does Orlando get three days off? Played Saturday now not till Wednesday
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 519

Post#17 » by kNicksGmen » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:38 am

WaltFrazier wrote:How does Orlando get three days off? Played Saturday now not till Wednesday

And look at their opponent the warriors. Will play 2 games before playing them on a back to back on the road. Absurd scheduling to say the least. Home team rests up for 3 days before playing a team on a 2nd game of a back to back.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,840

Post#18 » by dakomish23 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:33 pm

Just get healthy and stay healthy. At full strength we can rumble with any of these teams
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks